Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? (13468 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / On The Background Of Nigeria's Poor Performance At The Olympics...... / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
Biggysmalls919: the country is a total failure in everything. A big 4 nothing.
u are ghanian right keep off ur phucking openion not needed here
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by ScorchedViper(m): 7:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
E.) Witches and Wizards....
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2012
texazzpete:

You really need to stop airing your ignorance in public here.

There's a whole lot of difference between an avid secondary school and university runner and someone who spends his/her past 4 years training daily and participating in sporting activities as a sole career.

The blame for our dismal performance can be put squarely on the shoulders of our Government and the Sports Ministry.

Go and ask people at the National stadium how much the athletes there get as monthly grants from the Government.

Only in Nigeria would someone be asking why are Ijaw fishermen not competing with Michael Phelps. You think say na just native swimming dem dey use these days?

Thanks . . . . cool
But for your information, go and check most of the good athletes in normal world, good in them that was seen in high school were developed and they go on to do great things . . .Just for your FYI, but i still remain humble
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by ogahope(m): 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2012
corruption nd gross incompetency in sport's admtn. We need revolutionation in dt ministry.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by fankasibe: 7:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
We should all get down on our knees to beg all those old witches living in d village to free our success.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by adundayo: 7:24pm On Aug 09, 2012
because every young adult is into music now.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by jpphilips(m): 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
afam4eva:
There are always trials where the best athletes are selected. So, technically, they're the best we have in the country right now.

you cant bet ur life on the above
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2012
$tunna:
But honestly, as I have pointed out here b4, building a Nation, wining medals at the olympic games, generating megawatts of electricity for 160 million people and maintaining it...all these things cost money, lots of it!!!!!

So untill the day comes when deciplined Nigerians budget Nigeria's money to pursue these things in ernest and other set of deciplined Nigerians spend the budgeted cash for what they were meant for in good faith and care for Nigeria as a people as a nation...there will be no miracles - I'm sorry to say!!

Curse me out or go and multiply the churches and pastors in the country...it will not do it.

How many Power stations is the country building right now? We have spent about $ 3 billion dollars on power since 2010, how many power stations do you think that even means?

Corruption and Bad Governments costs Nigeria more than Power and Sports combined. We spend so much more money feeding corruption than we do on anything reasonable in this nation, so while things do cost money, I don't believe any should attempt to blame a lack of resources for this problem.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by antitpiah: 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2012
^^^

When was the last time you were in Nigeria? Oh I remember, you've never been back since you and your family ran off to Gods own country. I see. . .
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Siga: 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Thanks . . . . cool
But for your information, go and check most of the good athletes in normal world, good in them that was seen in high school were developed and they go on to do great things . . .Just for your FYI, but i still remain humble

texazzpete:

You really need to stop airing your ignorance in public here.

There's a whole lot of difference between an avid secondary school and university runner and someone who spends his/her past 4 years training daily and participating in sporting activities as a sole career.

The blame for our dismal performance can be put squarely on the shoulders of our Government and the Sports Ministry.

Go and ask people at the National stadium how much the athletes there get as monthly grants from the Government.

Only in Nigeria would someone be asking why are Ijaw fishermen not competing with Michael Phelps. You think say na just native swimming dem dey use these days?

Mr Fhemmmy has a valid point.....look at Jamaica...they have inter-school meets where the best of the best come to compete....thats where Bolt and the rest were noticed...and then they help them develop and then they compete at the Jamaican nationals (Jamaican Olympic version)....so...if Nigeria follow suit...we might come out good...
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by jevic(m): 8:06pm On Aug 09, 2012
I will say it is lack of funds and poor preparations.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Leyelyzo: 8:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
Badluck...haven't you heard of aura?
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Dawdy(m): 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2012
poor performance is the result of poor preparation
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 8:13pm On Aug 09, 2012
who be this dude with crazi pix,are u high on carbon monooxide
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by kunlaxo: 8:23pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hi guys how was today?..The answer is non of the above...Nigeria perfomed poorly because of No peace and lack of Unity among the tribes couple with incessant killings and death of innocent souls whose blood are really crying to God for vengeance.Trust me if this kilings were not stop or dealt with nothing wl happen in any sport or area of sharing glory...what is hapening to our nation is beyond those listed points,lack of unity has way of affecting our sport which was d best in africa before all these criminals call boko haram and militants..imagine even if GEJ was not in power the millitant will not allow any fresh air.. their seems to be no joy even among the youths who represent d leader of tomorow in sports and all area. When i remember years ago when my nation was called giant of africa when we had a complete set of teams in USA 94, killers squad of westerhof.. it was so full of glory in those days of atlanta 96..days of chioma ajunwa..mary onyali.falilat ogunkoya..bada sunday and this ekpon guy who almost fast run ben johnson..rashidi yekini..daniel amockahi..finidi george..benedict iroha..emmanual amunike..peter rufai imagining these guys make me wanna cry and weep for nigeria...all i can say is Lord guard our leadrs right help our youth the truth to know......
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Maxdiamond(m): 8:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
Fufu and amala no dey london 4 them 2 chop cari first so dat them fit collect medal.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 8:37pm On Aug 09, 2012
just watch the 4*400 metre race all i can say it,we might end up not coming with any medals,golden bronz not sure,how the hell did those clown represent us,this is our worst outing in the history olympic
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 8:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
kunlaxo: Hi guys how was today?..The answer is non of the above...Nigeria perfomed poorly because of No peace and lack of Unity among the tribes couple with incessant killings and death of innocent souls whose blood are really crying to God for vengeance.Trust me if this kilings were not stop or dealt with nothing wl happen in any sport or area of sharing glory...what is hapening to our nation is beyond those listed points,lack of unity has way of affecting our sport which was d best in africa before all these criminals call boko haram and militants..imagine even if GEJ was not in power the millitant will not allow any fresh air.. their seems to be no joy even among the youths who represent d leader of tomorow in sports and all area. When i remember years ago when my nation was called giant of africa when we had a complete set of teams in USA 94, killers squad of westerhof.. it was so full of glory in those days of atlanta 96..days of chioma ajunwa..mary onyali.falilat ogunkoya..bada sunday and this ekpon guy who almost fast run ben johnson..rashidi yekini..daniel amockahi..finidi george..benedict iroha..emmanual amunike..peter rufai imagining these guys make me wanna cry and weep for nigeria...all i can say is Lord guard our leadrs right help our youth the truth to know......
i hear o,so whats the way 4ward
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by noiseless: 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2012
I will rather cheer up an athlete who represents a republic of Odudua than waste my time watching any team that represent nigeristan, unless watching them get them pounded by other countries. NIGERIA MUST GO DOWN!
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 8:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
noiseless: I will rather cheer up an athlete who represents a republic of Odudua than waste my time watching any team that represent nigeristan, unless watching them get them pounded by other countries. NIGERIA MUST GO DOWN!
oduduwa ko,biafra ni,in as much as i want us to divide,but united we stand divided we fall,9ja don go to the dogs
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Gizbee: 9:00pm On Aug 09, 2012
I totally concor na only God fit save our dear contry now o.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Litmus: 9:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
If people continue to point to corruption for all failures then things will continue to fail because corruption will always exists.

Can i ask why corruption did not stop Nigeria topping the medal table at the recently concluded African Games? Indeed, Nigeria has been at the top or near the top of the medal table in most African Games. When Nigeria achieved its best result in Olympics was the military not in power? Was military government not known for corruption?

Ordinary people can do a lot to help. I remember at college in Nigeria, we used to have this inter-house boxing matches. I was new at the school, having arrived from the UK to join class at form 3. There was this boy at our house who was part of the boxing team, he was mad about boxing, lots of muscle but was no good at boxing. I suppose he was in the team because he volunteered ( guys were generally reluctant to do boxing. In fact, the senior boys used to run around trying to force guys to join the team. If you didn't cut grass well enough, you’re on the team - that sort of thing) Anyway, this muscle-bound guy used to hound me for boxing information. This was in the days when, if you were from abroad, you were automatically and expert on everything. This boy kept hounding me for boxing facts but, of course, i knew nothing about boxing but pretended that I did. There were no boxing accoutrements such as gloves, weights, punching bags etc. To cut a long story short, we became friends and during the course of that year I begged my senior brother who was in England to send me boxing gloves. My bother did better than that, he sent, lots of gloves, punching bags, magazines and training video. This guy was so grateful; anyway, he became so good they wouldn’t let him fight after he hurt someone very badly in one of the bouts. He went on to compete for the State after I left Nigeria.

Sure, the above is kid stuff but I do believe that those of us who have the money and love sports, business and so on, can do a lot to help others less fortunate back home. We can set up small , medium and large scale clubs where we can etc. Look at how setting up internet café everywhere led Nigerian youths to conquer the world in, ah-ahm…. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

For the bigger picture, Nigeria has to make a commitment to sports generally and be more informed about in which area of sport to invest money. Nigeria should also promote more obscure sports. We have a history in Weight Lifting, invest money here and promote the sport, take the athletes more seriously and be kinder to them. There’s long tennis; there’s Gymnastics, hire Russian and Romanian coaches; there’s cannoning, rowing, archery, taekwondo etc

Laying all the blame on corruption is a recipe for doing nothing!
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Flawlessdiva1(f): 9:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
afam4eva: A lot of factors have been inimical to our dismal outing.
You are typing plenty grammar. Pinpoint them out.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Chinom(m): 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
CORRUPTION. Pure,unadulterated corruption is a major cause of the absymal performance. A situation where sports administrators earn much more than sports coaches except in football can never produce olympic champions.Funds voted for training and equipments are grossly embezzled. Athletes are paid peanuts even when the money is available to pay them better.

Jamaican population is just over 2 million. They are descendants of West Africa, if not mostly Nigeria. They share the same gene pool with us. There are many Usain Bolts walking around in Nigeria. The sports administrators just have to find them and nurture them.
Nigeria can afford to hire a Jamaican athletics coach. So, why don't we hire one.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by avalontony(m): 10:46pm On Aug 09, 2012
e be like say na from the contigents village o!!! na juju them use on them o!!!!!!. singing kerenke!!!!!!!!!
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by DukeNija(m): 10:47pm On Aug 09, 2012
Poor preparation(world athletic championships/IAAF), Inadequate training facilities(You didn't mention this) and lack of commitment to grassroot sports development.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by rume(m): 11:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
bayulll01: just watch the 4*400 metre race all i can say it,we might end up not coming with any medals,golden bronz not sure,how the hell did those clown represent us,this is our worst outing in the history olympic
Sir, what 4x400m are you talking about? The Nigerian 4x400m men's team did NOT even qualify for a place at the olympics, so what did you watch?

If you mean women's 4x400m, the heats have not even been done yet.
You call them clowns but you make a post that suggests you are a clown.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 10, 2012
I'm sure we said this 4 years ago after Beijing Olympics. Experts have started coming up with reasons why, which is the easier bit. Doing it then becomes the problem.

It's simple, we didn't plan enough... The dismal performance at the Olympics has lack of preparedness written all over it.................

Guess what guys!! We have another 4 years to plan for the next Olympics.... Brazil 2016 should be our main focus now......

If I'm the sport minister, I will set up a talent-hunt committee very soon, hunting for talents @ our secondary school inter-house sport and university games.

It's simple, the federal govt should give Universities fund to organise games that encompasses most Olympic games. National trials should also be conducted across the country... If you want to participate in any sport, you just go collect forms in a designated bank like you do for GCEs.

After we have spotted these talents, we should do our mini-Olympics to screen them further.

Step 2, after spotting these talents, I will send them all to overseas to train with the best, using the best available facilities.... ( 2 years b4 2016)

Yes, it will cost money, but not enough money that goes to Jonathan's food budget or used to give furniture allowances to our senator...

I would have suggested we introduced the national-lottery like they do in UK, and use the funds to finance our athletes but we aren't ripe for it... Corruption wont make us ripe for it...
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 1:32am On Aug 10, 2012
Chinom: Jamaican population is just over 2 million. They are descendants of West Africa, if not mostly Nigeria. They share the same gene pool with us. There are many Usain Bolts walking around in Nigeria. The sports administrators just have to find them and nurture them.
Nigeria can afford to hire a Jamaican athletics coach. So, why don't we hire one.

lol really?

anyway it has nothing to do with genetics.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Man51ut(m): 1:49am On Aug 10, 2012
Litmus: So corruption is at fault for everything.In this fantasy realm of Corruption, individuals bare no responsibility for their actions. How for instance did corruption prevent Odumosu from, at the very least, equaling her personal best in the finals of the 400m Hurdles?

I've been defending the athletes as much as anyone but this is the Olympics, the greatest stage in which an athlete can compete. For me, an athlete has to be expected, at the very least, to equal their personal best at the final, if they are not injured. No Nigerian athlete to my knowledge did that. It was as if they felt inferior and defeated inside before stepping on the track . It's as if Nigerians admire Ghanaians so much they are now becoming like Ghanians in Attitude.

did usain bolt or michael phelps hit their personal best in their finals?

why didn't odumosu or okagbare feel inferior in the semis they won?
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by mimifonwon(f): 1:57am On Aug 10, 2012
bayulll01: What do you think is the cause of the dismal performance of Team Nigeria in the London 2012 Olympics?

A.POOR PREPARATION

B.LACK OF FUNDS

C.CORRUPTION

D.GEJ

You are right and may i add our parents discourage us from sports and tell us to focus only on acedemics. Plus there is no highschool or university programs for sport in nigeria. In all, until nigeria brings out money to train and cater to all forms of education for nigerian youths nigerians, except those that school abroad who atleast have a chance at a sport from preschool to university, we will keep doing horrible in the olympics. ANd for that reason Nigeria will never host the olympics if corruption, and bad leaders and horrible school system stay in place. Imagine all this militant youths, talk of boko haram recruits could have had other means to release their energy that is fruitful for them and their family rather than killing others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Liverpool Spoil AC Milan's Champions League Return In Five-Goal Thriller / I Won’t Celebrate If Man United Beat Chelsea, Says Mourinho / What's Your Preferred Football Commentary Language For The World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.