Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,383 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Is Nigeria Better Off Split? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Better Off Split? (2145 Views)

Ndigbo Won’t Be Better Off Seceding From Nigeria – Ohanaeze Advises MASSOB / You Are Better Off In Benin Republic, Buhari Tells Nigerians Living There / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by KiKatanga: 2:54pm On Aug 09, 2012
Can Nigeria settle its tensions or is a peaceful separation the best way forward?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by danjohn: 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
The only thing keeping Nigeria together is the free oil money that most of the states get from the Niger Delta. Do you think that the North, the SW, and parts of the SE would want to give up the free money they get? Your answer is as good as mine.

There are very few non-Niger Delta states that can survive without their monthly allocation. We are yet to hit a tipping point my friend. Unfortunately, for most Southern Nigerians, Boko Haram is a distant concept. Until Boko Haram starts attacking Lagos on a consistent basis, secession is off the table. Even for that to happen, they would need to hit the nerve of the Lagos economy e.g. Murtala Mohammed Airport, Third Mainland Bridge, Tincan Island Port etc. Until Southerners in the South believe that Boko Haram has come to their neighborhood, secession remains a bear parlor discussion.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by KiKatanga: 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2012
I suspect that this is exactly the case, but I'm interested to hear he perspective of Northerners. Has GEJ ever talked about holding a referendum on Sharia law in the Northern states so he has something to show Boko Haram that the Federal Government represents all of Nigeria and is not going to back down?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Boazizzy08: 3:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hmm ,don't think you know what you are bargaining for.well you can read this

https://www.nairaland.com/1012549/why-nigerians-must-not-perish
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On Aug 09, 2012
I don't think Nigeria should be split.
But it is looking like that's where we are headed. Unless we develop strong leadership at all levels and all regions, and learn how to live without acrimony, a split is inevitable.

A split in the Nigeria of today is almost certain to lead to long-drawn-out conflict.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by danjohn: 3:28pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
Can Nigeria settle its tensions or is a peaceful separation the best way forward?

Nigeria is a very complex country. I do believe that there are so many synergies to be derived from Nigeria as one country. Our population gives us the potential to build an economy that can realistically become one of the largest in the world. However, we need to learn how to cohabitate with one another. There is a large education gap between the North and the South that needs to be closed. In addition we need to stem the spread of radical Islamic extremism (I dont mean to sound like George Bush). Once these two things are settled, all we need are good leaders who can usher in an industrial revolution.

Once Nigerians are educated and employed in middle class jobs, the last thing that would be on people's mind is how to hate one another.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by mpumalanga: 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2012
danjohn: The only thing keeping Nigeria together is the free oil money that most of the states get from the Niger Delta. Do you think that the North, the SW, and parts of the SE would want to give up the free money they get? Your answer is as good as mine.

There are very few non-Niger Delta states that can survive without their monthly allocation. We are yet to hit a tipping point my friend. Unfortunately, for most Southern Nigerians, Boko Haram is a distant concept. Until Boko Haram starts attacking Lagos on a consistent basis, secession is off the table. Even for that to happen, they would need to hit the nerve of the Lagos economy e.g. Murtala Mohammed Airport, Third Mainland Bridge, Tincan Island Port etc. Until Southerners in the South believe that Boko Haram has come to their neighborhood, secession remains a bear parlor discussion.

South East is prepared any day to leave nigeria as they fought a brutal war to that effect.
They have oil and other resources and i can say that nigeria is holding them back
because they have 'inherent entrepreneurial' capacity that one nigeria excessive CRONY-ISM environment
is holding back to unleash.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by AjanleKoko: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2012
danjohn: The only thing keeping Nigeria together is the free oil money that most of the states get from the Niger Delta. Do you think that the North, the SW, and parts of the SE would want to give up the free money they get? Your answer is as good as mine.

Even if Boko Haram attacked Lagos, I doubt that would effectively guarantee a secession.
Majority of the political leadership in Nigeria do not favour self-governance for their regions. Except maybe the South-South.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by danjohn: 6:47pm On Aug 09, 2012
mpumalanga:

South East is prepared any day to leave nigeria as they fought a brutal war to that effect.
They have oil and other resources and i can say that nigeria is holding them back
because they have 'inherent entrepreneurial' capacity that one nigeria excessive CRONY-ISM environment
is holding back to unleash.

I said parts of the SE and not all of it. I assume that not all parts of the SE has oil. Notwithstanding, please do not forget that there are millions of Igbos living outside of the SE who have businesses and investments in other regions. Breaking up Nigeria may not automatically mean that a vibrant new country will be established in the SE. Many of these individuals who live outside the SE will probably prefer to have permanent residency status in Lagos/Kaduna etc. and visit Biafra, their home country, only during the Christmas.....
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by danjohn: 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Even if Boko Haram attacked Lagos, I doubt that would effectively guarantee a secession.
Majority of the political leadership in Nigeria do not favour self-governance for their regions. Except maybe the South-South.

Unfortunately you are correct. The point I was trying to make is that Boko Haram would have to attack the South on a regular basis. It may not only be Lagos. They may have to conduct rampant attacks in major cities in the South for the point to hit home. I almost feel like many Southerners still see Boko Haram as being very distant because they haven’t come close to home for us.

For a tipping point to occur, Southerners need to feel like their safety is at risk. If enough Southerners believe that their safety is at risk, secession will be on the table. Right now we hear of attacks in Yobe and Maiduguri; that is not close to home. Mushin is close to home, Aba is close to home, Warri is close to home.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by mpumalanga: 10:04pm On Aug 09, 2012
danjohn:

I said parts of the SE and not all of it. I assume that not all parts of the SE has oil. Notwithstanding, please do not forget that there are millions of Igbos living outside of the SE who have businesses and investments in other regions. Breaking up Nigeria may not automatically mean that a vibrant new country will be established in the SE. Many of these individuals who live outside the SE will probably prefer to have permanent residency status in Lagos/Kaduna etc. and visit Biafra, their home country, only during the Christmas.....

They traveled to those places in the first instances because of the post genocide policies
that starved them of any projects that can stimulate the economy in the region so that people
will be using it to have a dominant political position over them.

They left every thing in '1966' and they are ready to leave all again for their liberty.
imo,abia,anambra basin comprising enugu has oil and gas with solid minerals in EBONYI
though oil is not what is motivating them but pure self determination.If you have visited
south east recently,you will see that they are trouping home as projects are springing up
every day.EVEN SOME PEOPLE USE TO SAY THAT SOME BLACKS PREFERRED APARTHEID REGIME TO HUMOR THEMSELVES.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:30pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ki-Katanga:

The obvious answer to the question in the title of the thread is that yes, Nigeria is better off split. I didn't use to think this way when I first joined this forum, but I quickly learned how irreconcilable our differences were.

The only real potential problem is splitting the country on terms that are favorable to every group.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Dainfamous: 11:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
PhysicsQED:

The obvious answer to the question in the title of the thread is that yes, Nigeria is better off split. I didn't use to think this way when I first joined this forum, but I quickly learned how irreconcilable our differences were.

The only real potential problem is splitting the country on terms that are favorable to every group.
real talk...
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by cheikh: 12:01am On Aug 10, 2012
PhysicsQED

@^^ There's no such thing as "splitting the country on terms that are [b]favourable [/b]to every group".What exactly is "favourable"? Everyone will have to re-alighn their politics/economic/cultural "desires"/affinities. I am genuinely worried/concerned about our very tiny(population) minorities being pushed into unions that are not wholesome/desireable perhaps. The rest will have to go back to their "homelands" and we can agree on basic "international" protocols governing business, travel or cooperation. Sincerely, I do not foresee war as most people preclude. Why would I want to fight a Kanuri because he/she wants to be on their own because of "oil", fish" or some other minerals. It is not easy to decide to go to war over something that's clearly not yours nor within close proximity to your territory. Somehow, some of our national looters and their cohorts have managed to sell the propaganda that they "love Nigeria" more than their own mothers yet they are the most unpatriotic by their actions and consumption patterns. They have a need/vested interest in the status quo. They preclude national conversation which doesn't necessarily imply break-up of the so called federation after all they have cobbled up a system that is inherently corrupt and favourable to their 'lootocratic' mind set/actions. Sadly, the looters come from everywhere in the federation minority or majority ethnic group. There will be "winners" or "losers" but that depends on the mind set/perception/creativity of the people involved. Nations have survived without "oil" etc. What are we afraid of angry?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by bashr8: 12:17am On Aug 10, 2012
danjohn:

here we go again , oh pls shut up . bla bla bla na only for nigeria igbos live, well remember igbos wont also have to share their oil money with northern terrorist that end upusing it to buy weaponbs to blos christians up
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:17am On Aug 10, 2012
Cheikh, I think that with enough time and consultation, peaceful agreements can be worked out between all parties on who will or will not align with who and what countries will be formed. If this isn't carried out, Nigeria can still survive, but whether it will thrive and prosper is another matter.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by bashr8: 12:18am On Aug 10, 2012
cheikh: PhysicsQED[/b]

@^^ There's no such thing as "splitting the country on terms that are [b]favourable [/b]to every group".What exactly is "favourable"? Everyone will have to re-alighn their politics/economic/cultural "desires"/affinities. I am genuinely worried/concerned about our very tiny(population) minorities being pushed into unions that are not wholesome/desireable perhaps. The rest will have to go back to their "homelands" and we can agree on basic "international" protocols governing business, travel or cooperation. Sincerely, I do not foresee war as most people preclude. Why would I want to fight a Kanuri because he/she wants to be on their own because of "oil", fish" or some other minerals. It is not easy to decide to go to war over something that's clearly not yours nor within close proximity to your territory. Somehow, some of our national looters and their cohorts have managed to sell the propaganda that they "love Nigeria" more than their own mothers yet they are the most unpatriotic by their actions and consumption patterns. They have a need/vested interest in the status quo. They preclude national conversation which doesn't necessarily imply break-up of the so called federation after all they have cobbled up a system that is inherently corrupt and favourable to their 'lootocratic' mind set/actions. Sadly, the looters come from everywhere in the federation minority or majority ethnic group. There will be "winners" or "losers" but that depends on the mind set/perception/creativity of the people involved. Nations have survived without "oil" etc. What are we afraid of angry?
tell them o
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by asha80(m): 12:19am On Aug 10, 2012
to keep nigeria one is a task that must be done cheesy wink
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Onlytruth(m): 12:42am On Aug 10, 2012
PhysicsQED: Cheikh, I think that with enough time and consultation, peaceful agreements can be worked out between all parties on who will or will not align with who and what countries will be formed. If this isn't carried out, Nigeria can still survive, but whether it will thrive and prosper is another matter.

That is my personal problem with Nigeria. Sometimes I try really hard to accept Nigeria as is; but when confronted with the question of its viability (chance of thriving or prospering), I become incredulous again.

While watching the sprints and hurdles, and long jumps in the Olympic games, I couldn't help notice that Jamaica (a country of just over 2 million) has more medal winning chances than Nigeria a country of 160 million.
Anyone who is not saddened by just this example must be a sociopath. sad

Can Nigeria thrive? Ever?
That is the question.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by asha80(m): 1:06am On Aug 10, 2012
Onlytruth:

That is my personal problem with Nigeria. Sometimes I try really hard to accept Nigeria as is; but when confronted with the question of its viability (chance of thriving or prospering), I become incredulous again.

While watching the sprints and hurdles, and long jumps in the Olympic games, I couldn't help notice that Jamaica (a country of just over 2 million) has more medal winning chances than Nigeria a country of 160 million.
Anyone who is not saddened by just this example must be a sociopath. sad

Can Nigeria thrive? Ever?
That is the question.

shocked grin embarassed
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by ak47mann(m): 1:08am On Aug 10, 2012
Can any of you here honestly say that being a Nigerian really makes you happy and pride?can you honestly say that you are having a wonderful life in Nigeria.

2 can you really say Nigeria gives you justice?

Final can you honestly say the following for yourself?

"Yes Nigeria have provided these things for me and i am happy with the quality of life,i,my family,my community,and my ethnic group has in these areas of life!

just want to know that's all.. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by amosy007: 1:26am On Aug 10, 2012
Yes! Lets Split the damn thing! D country z jinxed though their is power in d unity.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Murphy7h4: 1:43am On Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by alex14(m): 1:52am On Aug 10, 2012
To disintegrate nigeria is a task that must be done in the interest of the black race! cool
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by alex14(m): 2:16am On Aug 10, 2012
Again, the answer to this thread (QST) is simply "YES, nigeria is better of split".

Take the area of sport for example, we use to have inter-house sports in public (high/secondary) schools where you have students participating in sports like track & field,, football (soccer), high jump e.t.c. These public schools were able to conduct inter-house sports because they all had field(s) big enough for the afforementioned sports. Alas, today what do you have? You have a situation where the public school system has failed and no parent(s) wants to send their kids to public school. They all want their kids in private school(s).
Most of these private schools aren't even big enough to conduct any major sporting activity for students to take part in,,,hence dearth in new talent. All these are as result of the mirage "one nigeria". I know most private schools that are built on just one plot of land measuring 120/60.So going forward, it's never going to look well for the dungeon called one nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Caesar1988(m): 3:18am On Aug 10, 2012
asha 80: to keep nigeria one is a task that must be done cheesy wink
And Nigeria must split come 2015,dats d bottom line...we have had enuf of dis,nw lets face it for real.....D only group ready to have their r d biafrans and d naija deltans......D yorubas r still hiding under their precious carpet called cawordice....always ready to do wat awolowo did in d past........Finally,i would say,d earlier we split,d better for us.....so,pple,stop chanting one nigeria.....Their r plans on ground to islamise naija and u know it can't work....Get dis to ur heads and stop running ur mouths on nairaland.....
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by dasparrow: 4:19am On Aug 10, 2012
ak47mann: Can any of you here honestly say that being a Nigerian really makes you happy and pride?can you honestly say that you are having a wonderful life in Nigeria.

2 can you really say Nigeria gives you justice?

Final can you honestly say the following for yourself?

"Yes Nigeria have provided these things for me and i am happy with the quality of life,i,my family,my community,and my ethnic group has in these areas of life!

just want to know that's all.. cool cool

My answer is NO to all your questions.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by GAR3TH(m): 5:28am On Aug 10, 2012
[color=#006600]yes and no. No because many of the same corrupt leaders will still rule the split nations and splitting wont solve our infrastructure or economical problems. At the same time yes, because it will stop many of are social problems and will build a society with a closer bond and culture. Also there wont be an ethnic or regional need for power so the public can focus on actually getting better politicians in office.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 10, 2012
Who still ask such question! Are you in stone age
you should be asking how we should do it peaceful without another millions death
As for Nigeria dividing? yes! it must before my age mate leave this earth.
we can all wait for new glory countries in africa.
Arewa republic(in allah we trust) may mohammed bless us

oduduwa republic

ND republic(new richest country in africa)

Biafra republic(99% christian) may God bless us
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by wiegraf: 7:10am On Aug 10, 2012
Yes

By the way, can I become a southerner if we do? I won't learn any language though.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Ufeolorun(m): 9:44am On Aug 10, 2012
Funny how people who lack wide spread political coherence and clout keep shouting break up break up.
Oil induced nationalism is a disaster waiting to happen. We have seen in the past what these clanish purveyors are capable of- Warri alone would be how many countries?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by KiKatanga: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2012
Can Muslims ever share a country with non-muslims, though? What's the point of staying together if the Muslims are trying to bomb everyone into Shariah? Aren't they better off separate so they can keep their laws to themselves?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Jonathan Refuse To Kiss Patience? / Rivers Assembly Summons Amaechi’s Aides, Board Chairman / A National Award To T.A Orji Is An Award For Inefficiency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.