Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" (1665 Views)

AfricanSunTimes Names Jonathan International Person Of The Year / President Obama Named Time Magazine's "Person Of The Year" 2012 / Facebook Founder Named Time’s Person Of 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 3:50am On Dec 20, 2007
[img]http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/bm~pix/putin-vladimir~s600x600.jpg[/img]

NEW YORK (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin was named Time magazine's "Person of the Year" on Wednesday for imposing stability that restored Russia as a world power.

The magazine recognized Putin's "extraordinary feat of leadership in taking a country that was in chaos and bringing it stability," said Richard Stengel, Time's managing editor.

The magazine noted that "Person of the Year" is not an honor or endorsement but a recognition of leadership that shapes the world.

"He's the new czar of Russia and he's dangerous in the sense that he doesn't care about civil liberties, he doesn't care about free speech," Stengel said.

But in prizing stability over freedom, he's made Russia powerful again and beholden to no nation, the magazine said.

Putin, 55, is enormously popular in Russia, presiding over a resurgent economy flush with revenue from oil and natural gas. But critics say he has moved away from democracy by tightening control of the courts, parliament and the media.

Putin recently endorsed protoge Dmitry Medvedev's presidential bid, and said he would accept Medvedev's offer to serve as prime minister if Medvedev is elected March 2. Many believe Putin would remain Russia's real leader, regardless of his title, though Putin has said he would not undermine his successor.

The Kremlin said Wednesday the Time recognition was seen there as an acknowledgment of Putin's role in helping Russia pull out of its social and economic troubles in the 1990s.

"We do hope this will, help a better understanding of modern Russia, better understanding that Russia is a democratic country , that is standing for fair play and avoiding double standards" internationally, said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov in a conference call with reporters.

The last Soviet president, Mikhail Gorbachev, who was named Man of the Decade by Time in 1989 for his world-changing reforms, said Putin was a good choice for stabilizing the country.

"If Putin did only that — led the country away from the abyss, from division and disintegration, that is already a historic deed," Gorbachev told Ekho Moskvy radio.

"We have different views of certain issues, but the most important thing is a turn in the direction of the country, of improving the quality of life," Gorbachev said.

Others considered for Person of the Year included Nobel Prize-winner Al Gore and author J.K. Rowling.

This year's choice was a return to the magazine's tradition of picking an individual rather than last year's choice of anyone creating or using content on the World Wide Web.

Putin is the fifth Russian or Soviet leader to be named Person of the Year: Gorbachev, Andropov, Khrushchev and Stalin, who was named twice.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 3:53am On Dec 20, 2007
Though, I don't love all of Putin's tactics, I like what he represents in Russia - a strong leader!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by kokorunna(m): 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2007
He deserves the award grin
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2007
The man happened to be President at a time of an energy boom.What would Putin be without $90 oil?

@Richy "Guff" Black
Strong leader?Stalin,Hitler,Idi Amin and Saddam were all "strong leaders"
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 8:39pm On Dec 20, 2007
I-man:

The man happened to be President at a time of an energy boom.What would Putin be without $90 oil?

@Richy "Guff" Black
Strong leader?Stalin,Hitler,Idi Amin and Saddam were all "strong leaders"

You forgot to mention your American Papa - George W. Bush, isn't he a strong leader?
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 9:12pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Guff

Exactly,so being a strong leader is a vacuous comment. It tells us nothing either way.

Putin is a beneficiary of circumstances beyond his control.Russians are content because,for the first time in decades,they are experiencing real income growth,however,this has nothing to do with Putin.One can even make the argument that the economy could have grown faster if certain policies were implemented.

There is little diversification away from dependence on hydro-carbon.Russia is gradually becoming another petro-dollar state captive to the boom and bust associated with such states.It is effectively like a 3rd world economy wholly dependent on the price of natural resources.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by EmekaNaija(m): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2007
Putin, to me, symbolizes what visionary leaders can achieve for their people.
Some fools are already claiming Putin's success was as a result of the recent Oil boom, while forgetting that their father of modern Nigeria, Obasanjo, was in power within the same 1999-2007 that Putin was in power, with all the antendant oil boom for Nigeria. Even in Putin's high handedness, the Russians love him. Can that be said about Obasanjo and his new Nigeria? The more i studied about Putin all day, the more i realize that Obasanjo needs to be erased from our lexicon. He is an utter failure.

I see Putin's Russia dominating world politics for more years to come. This is a man who is not scared to jail corrupt leaders and business men while passing some economic muscle to young men all around Russia while improving standard of living for all Russians. Not Obasanjo who concentrated his efforts in alleviating poverty for his family and cronies. Moscow has the largest number of billionaires than any city in the world, so i learnt today.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/0,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html

I only wish A strong leader would emerge here in America come 2008 to counter the threat posed by a strong Russia in alliance with Iran.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 9:55pm On Dec 20, 2007
@EmekaNaija

I guess you only recently started reading up on Putin.Read up more and spare us the pablum.

Take a simple survey of all major energy exporters globally.Compare their GDP growth rates since Putin got into power to that of Russia.You will find that Russia's GDP growth rate is along the same lines,often weaker than many of them.

Singling out OBJ for comparison is risible for many reasons.If Putin is great by comparison to OBJ and Nigeria,well,that isn't much of a metric.

The only unique policy tools I can attribute to Putin is that he locks up opposition party men and plans to change the constitution to confer more powers on the Prime Minister.He is supposed to occupy the PM role upon the end of his tenure and thus continue his reign in power as de facto head of state.

I wonder what Nigerians will feel if OBJ was the Senate President and the PDP planned to changed the constitution to give the Senate President crucial executive powers
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by debosky(m): 10:04pm On Dec 20, 2007
romanticized views of Putin are rife here. . .especially due to his ability to 'rise against US/Western Dominance' and 'Neo-Colonialism'

while Russia itself is doing the same to Ukraine, Georgia and a few others, as well as eroding free speech in the country. . .but I guess that falls under 'modeling democracy to suit Russia'
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by EmekaNaija(m): 10:13pm On Dec 20, 2007
@I-man

I only used today's piece on Putin to make an illustration. Your guess is dead wrong. Stop being shallow

The bottom line is that Russians love Putin. The essence of leadership is to impact the the lives of the citizens and i think Putin has done well in that regards. On locking up opposition leaders, it depends on what side of the fence you sit and what media you choose to believe.
The simple reason for comparison with Obasanjo is to show that high oil revenues is not a guarantee for success of an economy as Nigeria's failure shows.

Either way, credit must be given to Putin for re-invigorating comatose Russia.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Kobojunkie: 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2007
EmekaNaija:

@I-man

I only used today's piece on Putin to make an illustration. Your guess is dead wrong. Stop being shallow

The bottom line is that Russians love Putin. The essence of leadership is to impact the the lives of the citizens and i think Putin has done well in that regards. On locking up opposition leaders, it depends on what side of the fence you sit and what media you choose to believe.
The simple reason for comparison with Obasanjo is to show that high oil revenues is not a guarantee for success of an economy as Nigeria's failure shows.

Either way, credit must be given to Putin for re-invigorating comatose Russia.

I really believe you need to do more research on this. You do not seem to know the man well. By the way, did you miss the problem in russia over the election?? And his move to remain in power??
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 11:17pm On Dec 20, 2007
EmekaNaija:

The more i studied about Putin all day, the more i realize that Obasanjo needs to be erased from our lexicon. He is an utter failure.

If you have always been familiar with Russian politics,why the above?

Russians love Putin?Germans loved Hitler,Soviets loved Stalin,Zimbabwean loved Mugabe,e.t.c

Apart from the obvious question of how you know Russians love Putin.From the media?The same media you dismiss when they tell you about 100,000 dead in Chechnya,Boris Nemtsov and Kasparov's arrests.

You have failed to address the key issue-how is Putin responsible for Russia economic progress?

Comparing Russia with Nigeria is the quintessential apples to oranges comparison.The best measure is a comparison with all the other major oil exporters . . . . . . . . .unless they all have "great leaders",maybe the economic vigour they are experiencing transcends the simplistic attribution of credit to the head of state.For God's sake,even the Nigerian economy has picked up compared to the Abacha years.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Sijien(m): 1:01am On Dec 21, 2007
up putin grin grin grin
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 1:30pm On Dec 21, 2007
Whatever you say about Putin,the man is obviously a "sharp" guy:

An unprecedented battle is taking place inside the Kremlin in advance of Vladimir Putin's departure from office, the Guardian has learned, with claims that the president presides over a secret multibillion-dollar fortune.

Rival clans inside the Kremlin are embroiled in a struggle for the control of assets as Putin prepares to transfer power to his hand-picked successor, Dmitry Medvedev, in May, well-placed political observers and other sources have revealed.

At stake are billions of dollars in assets belonging to Russian state-run corporations. Additionally, details of Putin's own personal fortune, reportedly hidden in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, are being discussed for the first time.

The claims over the president's assets surfaced last month when the Russian political expert Stanislav Belkovsky gave an interview to the German newspaper Die Welt. They have since been repeated in the Washington Post and the Moscow Times, with speculation over the fortune appearing on the internet.

Citing sources inside the president's administration, Belkovsky claims that after eight years in power Putin has secretly accumulated more than $40bn (£20bn). The sum would make him Russia's - and Europe's - richest man.

[url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2230924,00.html[/url]

Many Russians are busy doing menial labor in the West and the President seems to be lining up his pockets.Anyway,Gorbachev and Yeltsin did line up theirs,so I guess it is the norm.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by babasin(m): 1:45pm On Dec 21, 2007
AMID escalating diplomatic feud, Moscow yesterday cancelled a London exhibition of French and Russian masterpieces, saying Britain had failed to guarantee their safe return in the latest diplomatic row between the two countries.

Britain failed to persuade Russia to loan the 120 works by French and Russian painters, including Matisse's "The Dance", said the head of the Federal Agency for Culture and Cinematography, Mikhail Shvydkoi.

London has insisted that all the conditions for the exhibition have been met.

Moscow''s refusal to take London's word is the latest shot in a diplomatic war that escalated after the murder last year of a fugitive Kremlin critic given asylum in Britain.

A failed attempt by Britain to extradite the chief suspect, ex-KGB officer Andrei Lugovoi, prompted tit-for-tat expulsions of diplomats this July.

A letter was sent to the British government declaring it was "impossible to accept as sufficient the guarantees of the exhibition's (legal) immunity and the return" of the artworks to Russia.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by ndubest(m): 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2007
.Though am not a fan of dictatorship

i think putin deserves the award

he was able to call bluff of all those feeding themselves and their families from the nations oil resources

hope other leaders will emulate his no nonsense attitude, though that comes with a price
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Kobojunkie: 2:23pm On Dec 21, 2007
ndubest:

.Though am not a fan of dictatorship

i think putin deserves the award

he was able to call bluff of all those feeding themselves and their families from the nations oil resources

hope other leaders will emulate his no nonsense attitude, though that comes with a price

So in essence, emulate a bully just cause he was able to bully the other bullies?? LMAO!!!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 21, 2007
think that was their opinion.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 5:23am On Dec 24, 2007
EmekaNaija:

Putin, to me, symbolizes what visionary leaders can achieve for their people.
Some fools are already claiming Putin's success was as a result of the recent Oil boom, while forgetting that their father of modern Nigeria, Obasanjo, was in power within the same 1999-2007 that Putin was in power, with all the antendant oil boom for Nigeria. Even in Putin's high handedness, the Russians love him. Can that be said about Obasanjo and his new Nigeria? The more i studied about Putin all day, the more i realize that Obasanjo needs to be erased from our lexicon. He is an utter failure.

I see Putin's Russia dominating world politics for more years to come. This is a man who is not scared to jail corrupt leaders and business men while passing some economic muscle to young men all around Russia while improving standard of living for all Russians. Not Obasanjo who concentrated his efforts in alleviating poverty for his family and cronies. Moscow has the largest number of billionaires than any city in the world, so i learnt today.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/0,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html

I only wish A strong leader would emerge here in America come 2008 to counter the threat posed by a strong Russia in alliance with Iran.

@EmekaNaija,

You've spoken well! The West may not be happy about this powerful recognition, but what's new? The West is never happy when there is any sort of "good news" from outside the West, especially if it wasn't coordinated by them. That's why there media outlets continue to portray mother Africa, brother China, and cousin Russia in bad light.

Let the "Bush na my papa" crowd: I-fool, Kobokobojunkmeat, and co. go sidon for dustbin! Let's see if their papa, George W Bush, will get any form of international recognition in the nearest future, crazy oyinbo wannabees!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 5:28am On Dec 24, 2007
I-man:

If you have always been familiar with Russian politics,why the above?

Russians love Putin?Germans loved Hitler,Soviets loved Stalin,Zimbabwean loved Mugabe,e.t.c

Apart from the obvious question of how you know Russians love Putin.From the media?The same media you dismiss when they tell you about 100,000 dead in Chechnya,Boris Nemtsov and Kasparov's arrests.

You have failed to address the key issue-how is Putin responsible for Russia economic progress?

Comparing Russia with Nigeria is the quintessential apples to oranges comparison.The best measure is a comparison with all the other major oil exporters . . . . . . . . .unless they all have "great leaders",maybe the economic vigour they are experiencing transcends the simplistic attribution of credit to the head of state.For God's sake,even the Nigerian economy has picked up compared to the Abacha years.

I-fool,
You must be a demented idiot to bring up Chechnya when your father Bush has slaughtered close to a million in Iraq!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by McKren(m): 11:56am On Dec 24, 2007
Richyblack

Heard there is an American sponsored terrorists militia in Iraq, but what does this organisation do that the police does not do and why are they necessary?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7153563.stm
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 12:12pm On Dec 24, 2007
McKren:

Richyblack

Heard there is an American sponsored terrorists militia in Iraq, but what does this organisation do that the police does not do and why are they necessary?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7153563.stm

McKren

That's to show the mess that the Americans have made of Iraq. Total confusion!
1. Support the Sunnis - they get slammed by the majority Shiites; they are reminded that Saddam was Sunni; they aid their hidden enemy - the corrupt House of Saud.
2. Support the Shiites - they get bombs from the aggressive Sunnis; Al-qaeda use it as propaganda to rally Sunnis against the illegal occupation; they aid their open enemy - Iran.
3. Support the Kurds - the larger sections (Shiites and Sunnis) just laugh at the joke; they anger Turkey, a key NATO ally in the region; unsustainable!

A quagmire indeed!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by cute9jaguy(m): 12:33pm On Dec 24, 2007
Did you guys see ''Amanpur christiana'' s report on CNN about CZAR PUTTIN? it was quite revealing. my suprise is why KASPAROV,my mentor ( i play chess) will think of standing against such man in an election?chess greats always have their moves calculated! Thank God Garry is not yet dead,everyone that goes against this guy dies!over 200 investigative reporters have died,on Puttin's a/c that is. by the way,the award for man of the year says it is a recognition and not an endorsement! nobody can endorse that guy,he has no regard for nothing,if you r against him,ur against the air you breathe in!
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by RichyBlacK(m): 2:02pm On Dec 24, 2007
cute9jaguy:

Did you guys see ''Amanpur christiana'' s report on CNN about CZAR PUTTIN? it was quite revealing. my suprise is why KASPAROV,my mentor ( i play chess) will think of standing against such man in an election?chess greats always have their moves calculated! Thank God Garry is not yet dead,everyone that goes against this guy dies!over 200 investigative reporters have died,on Puttin's a/c that is. by the way,the award for man of the year says it is a recognition and not an endorsement! nobody can endorse that guy,he has no regard for nothing,if you r against him,your against the air you breathe in!

Where did you get that information from?

Please don't point to this (for obvious reasons):

The investigation will carry out a review of the killings of more than 200 journalists in Russia since 1993, including unexplained disappearances, which have caused concern to the international community of press freedom defenders, journalists and media organizations.
http://www.robertamsterdam.com/2007/05/journalists_of_the_world_gathe.htm

Also, what do you expect from CNN? A Western media source that is shamelessly biased! Make we hear word bo.

Let me point you to two fair media outlets in the West:
1. America :- PBS (all the rest are useless when it comes to international news)
2. UK :- BBC and ITV (the rest are bad but not as bad as those in America)
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Dec 24, 2007
cute9jaguy:

Did you guys see ''Amanpur christiana'' s report on CNN about CZAR PUTTIN? it was quite revealing. my suprise is why KASPAROV,my mentor ( i play chess) will think of standing against such man in an election?chess greats always have their moves calculated! Thank God Garry is not yet dead,everyone that goes against this guy dies!over 200 investigative reporters have died,on Puttin's a/c that is. by the way,the award for man of the year says it is a recognition and not an endorsement! nobody can endorse that guy,he has no regard for nothing,if you r against him,your against the air you breathe in!

I have seen a lot of news coverage on him, even on the BBC and online news and I get the same vibe from all angles. I did see the report on the guy who tried to stand up against him. I hope the man is not going to get killed still. I mean the election was only a few days ago and I doubt he has gone silent since then.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 2:01am On Dec 25, 2007
RichyBlacK:

I-fool,
You must be a demented idiot to bring up Chechnya when your father Bush has slaughtered close to a million in Iraq!

This is the logic of the dysfunctional mind. Bush has "killed" 1 million Iraqis so Putin might as well decimate Russian Muslims in Chechnya .Where is the logical link between the 2?

Russian security forces burnt down every single building in Grozny and deported almost every resident.That is okay because Putin "stands up" to the West.Never mind that Russia is culturally part of the West and represents an integral part of Caucasian hegemony.

With RichyBlack,its always a case of stupid is as stupid does.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Iman3(m): 2:35am On Dec 25, 2007
RichyBlacK:

Where did you get that information from?

Please don't point to this (for obvious reasons):

The investigation will carry out a review of the killings of more than 200 journalists in Russia since 1993, including unexplained disappearances, which have caused concern to the international community of press freedom defenders, journalists and media organizations.
http://www.robertamsterdam.com/2007/05/journalists_of_the_world_gathe.htm

Also, what do you expect from CNN? A Western media source that is shamelessly biased! Make we hear word bo.

You should be inducted into the slowpoke Hall of Fame. grin So the International Federation of Journalists should not be trusted? The deaths of the journalists in question is not even disputed by Russia,all the Russian Govt claims is that it has nothing to do with those deaths.The problem is that if journalists critical of the Govt keep turning up dead,it inevitably raises a cloud of suspicion.

To be dismissive of the losses of the lives of brave journalists whose work bring intellectual illumination to our lives,is unpardonably callous.I guess you, being utterly benighted, don't value the contribution of journalists whose work form the basis of a lot of what we know about the world.

You resort to the crass desperate tactic of blaming the messenger,attacking CNN for bias.You strangely recommend the BBC. Anybody with a modicum of knowledge of events in Russia knows that the Russian Govt has been having major rifts with the BBC.Some BBC broadcasts were taken off the air just recently.The BBC World Service recently did a hard-hitting feature programme on the deaths of journalists in Russia,which deaths you haughtily dismissed.

I for one,who is no pro-Putin,often find the level of vitriol directed against Russia by the BBC overboard.BBC investigative journalists even gave credibility to the conspiracy theory that Putin was behind the apartment bombings in Russia that was used as the casus belli to launch a second military campaign in Chechnya.

However,to dismiss reports of Putin's malfeasance as mere "Western bias",is sheer mind numbing foolishness.That Putin is a corrupt dictator at the head of a Govt equally adept at silencing Chechens and Russian journalists alike is self-evident.To dismiss all these in hare-brained attempt at "Eastern solidarity" against the "biased West" is a rather bizzare illustration of identity crisis and bone-headed analysis.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by davidif: 4:26am On Dec 29, 2007
I respect Putin a lot, even though i am not a fan, the man believes in stability before freedom and i respect that a lot especially in a country rife with corruption and oligogarchy or should we call it kleptocracy. The collape of the soviet union was a disaster for russians and the following decade that ensued was rife with chaos and unprecedented corruption. But thanks to Putin, a true patriot and ex-KGB man, he restored order, stability, and world relevance to the country after Boris Yelstin disastrous and chaotic time in office. Putin scared away all the oligarchs and the friends of Yelstin who conned Russia and sold it down the drain (the Abramovich's and the Berezovsky's). So for all you detractors and haters out there, you all should look at it from the Russians point of view and not from the western point of view.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Don1DeMaco: 7:37am On Dec 29, 2007
wouldnt make a definite opinion on this one but one thing strikes me in all these
if Putin has not done something significant be it positive or negative would he have been endorsed by time as person of the year
what are the reasons for the endorsement these are the things we should look at and not throwing bitter diet tribes at one another

personally for me whether the man fortunate or unfortunate the truth of the matter is Russians are in a better position now than 8 years ago when he took over, he saw the oppourtunities and he took them and used it to the benefit of his people, though dat does not mean i now support everything dat is Putin the poin is he has bettered the lot of Russians hasnt he?

History will judge him for the impact he has made for the people and not whether oil boom dey or not, i hope he does not spoil everything though with this power of a thing, i think even the people of the west are beginning to take a cue from us here in Africa, International election observers most of them from the US come nigeria to observe, the following year America do election Bush rig, Bush papa na persident for 4 years, clinton commot am do 8 years, bush sef turn president do 8 years, another clinton sef wan take over beginning to look like an adedibu and his people's script to me, make we dey look sha

But the point is he has bettered the lot of his people hasnt he? over to u guys to educate me on this issue cos as i said i no too get info or knowledge in this field, just dey talk my own personal opinion.
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2007
Don1DeMaco:

wouldnt make a definite opinion on this one but one thing strikes me in all these
if Putin has not done something significant be it positive or negative would he have been endorsed by time as person of the year
what are the reasons for the endorsement these are the things we should look at and not throwing bitter diet tribes at one another

personally for me whether the man fortunate or unfortunate the truth of the matter is Russians are in a better position now than 8 years ago when he took over, he saw the oppourtunities and he took them and used it to the benefit of his people, though that does not mean i now support everything that is Putin the poin is he has bettered the lot of Russians hasnt he?

History will judge him for the impact he has made for the people and not whether oil boom dey or not, i hope he does not spoil everything though with this power of a thing, i think even the people of the west are beginning to take a cue from us here in Africa, International election observers most of them from the US come nigeria to observe, the following year America do election Bush rig, Bush papa na persident for 4 years, clinton commot am do 8 years, bush sef turn president do 8 years, another clinton sef wan take over beginning to look like an adedibu and his people's script to me, make we dey look sha

But the point is he has bettered the lot of his people hasnt he? over to u guys to educate me on this issue because as i said i no too get info or knowledge in this field, just dey talk my own personal opinion.

I agree. Yes, He has brought about significant change to russia over the past couple of years and so the reason why Times magazine name him person of the year but that should not be taken as endorsement of putin and his style of ruling. Even the article in time magazine goes a long way to make it clear that in no way are they endorsing or honoring putin's leadership.

TIME's Person of the Year is not and never has been an honor. It is not an endorsement. It is not a popularity contest. At its best, it is a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world—for better or for worse. It is ultimately about leadership—bold, earth-changing leadership. Putin is not a boy scout. He is not a democrat in any way that the West would define it. He is not a paragon of free speech. He stands, above all, for stability—stability before freedom, stability before choice, stability in a country that has hardly seen it for a hundred years. Whether he becomes more like the man for whom his grandfather prepared blinis—who himself was twice TIME's Person of the Year—or like Peter the Great, the historical figure he most admires; whether he proves to be a reformer or an autocrat who takes Russia back to an era of repression—this we will know only over the next decade. At significant cost to the principles and ideas that free nations prize, he has performed an extraordinary feat of leadership in imposing stability on a nation that has rarely known it and brought Russia back to the table of world power. For that reason, Vladimir Putin is TIME's 2007 Person of the Year.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/0,28804,1690753_1690757_1696150,00.html
Re: Putin Named Time "Person Of The Year" by Careente7(m): 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2022
Presently Putin is putin’ fear in some people’s mind .Who are these people.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Ready To Die In The Course Of Making Nigeria A Better Palace ? Mission 2011 / Early Votes: Jonathan Or Ribadu (Poll) / Zik Was The Greatest African, Ojukwu Was The Greatest Igbo - Domkat Bali (north)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.