Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,832 members, 7,828,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London (37906 Views)

Nigeria E-passport New Prices Start Today. / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Re-issue Of Nigerian E-passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2012
My e-passport (originally obtained at the Nigeria High Commission in London) expires in 11 months but i'd like to renew it next month so that my permanent UK residency status can be affixed in my new passport when I apply in October.

Couple of questions for those who have renewed e-passports in London:

Is 11 months too soon to reapply for a new passport? Is there a strict rule about this?
Is the E-passport extendable or do I have to apply for a new one?
Will my current passport be cancelled/retained once a new one is issued?
What is the £20 postal order made out to the Nigeria HC for considering that applicants have to return to collect their passports? There is already a separate passport fee of circa $65.
Finally, has the system of operation at the embassy improved compared to four years ago? I dread the thought of going back there!

Thanks in advance.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 10:50pm On Aug 10, 2012
Anybody?
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by claremont(m): 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
Is 11 months too soon to reapply for a new passport? Is there a strict rule about this?: I don't know of any rule that says you must wait till the last month of expiry before you can apply for renewal, I did mine when it still had 3 years before expiry. I could be wrong on this though.

Is the E-passport extendable or do I have to apply for a new one?: It cannot be extended, you have to apply for a new one.

Will my current passport be cancelled/retained once a new one is issued?: Your current passport will be stamped with 'Cancelled without prejudice, Nigeria High Commission, London'.

What is the £20 postal order made out to the Nigeria HC for considering that applicants have to return to collect their passports? There is already a separate passport fee of circa $65.: My guy, just pay whatever you have been asked to pay officially and carry the receipt to the embassy.

Finally, has the system of operation at the embassy improved compared to four years ago? I dread the thought of going back there!: When I did a passport reissue about a year ago, I followed the official channels and got a new passport. Just be sure to arrive at the embassy very early in order to beat the queue.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 3:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
[quote author=claremont]

Will my current passport be cancelled/retained once a new one is issued?: Your current passport will be stamped with 'Cancelled without prejudice, Nigeria High Commission, London'.[/b]I hope this will not be a problem as my current UK residence permit is in there as well as a valid Schengen Visa.

What is the £20 postal order made out to the Nigeria HC for considering that applicants have to return to collect their passports? There is already a separate passport fee of circa $65.: [b]My guy, just pay whatever you have been asked to pay officially and carry the receipt to the embassy.
Not saying I will not pay but it just doesn't make sense (to me) what this £20 PO is for. Btw, i'm a woman not a guy!

Finally, has the system of operation at the embassy improved compared to four years ago? I dread the thought of going back there!: [b]When I did a passport reissue about a year ago, I followed the official channels and got a new passport. Just be sure to arrive at the embassy very early in order to beat the queue.
I have always followed official channels and was not asking for shortcuts. I more meant if the chaos has been reduced or eradicated. Last time I visited it was a shameful display of incompetence.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by justwise(m): 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
@Plum70

When i renewed mine 3yrs ago it was less stressful, they seems to be organised now compared to what i read here before going, i got my passport after 3wks.

Without that £20 you will not be attended to, i got no clue what they do with it but they don't joke with it.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by claremont(m): 5:59pm On Aug 11, 2012
Plum70: I hope this will not be a problem as my current UK residence permit is in there as well as a valid Schengen Visa.
They will stamp 'cancelled without prejudice' on the blank pages of your old passport. When you have received your new passport, you can submit both to the Home Office for them to transfer the vignette from the old to the new passport. They have a small charge for this.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 10:30pm On Aug 11, 2012
claremont:
They will stamp 'cancelled without prejudice' on the blank pages of your old passport. When you have received your new passport, you can submit both to the Home Office for them to transfer the vignette from the old to the new passport. They have a small charge for this.
Thanks Claremont. I'm not transferring my vignette but applying for confirmation of permanent residence which comes with a new vignette.

Thing is I have two European trips between now and October but hoped to apply for a new E-passport in September in time to submit my application to the UKBA so that my PR vignette goes into my new passport.

I wonder if I should just leave getting a new passport till next year when my PR application has been processed. Just means that i'd have to travel with both old and new passport in the future.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 10:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
By the way, is there any need for a guarantor?

The Nigeria HC website says that this is compulsory but I didn't need one when I applied in 2008.

Is a guarantor necessary or not?
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by claremont(m): 9:48am On Aug 12, 2012
Plum70: By the way, is there any need for a guarantor?

The Nigeria HC website says that this is compulsory but I didn't need one when I applied in 2008.

Is a guarantor necessary or not?
I did not use any guarantor when I did mine, I think that only applies to people who do not already have a Nigerian passport. As for your Shengen trips, you may have to travel with both passports till you get your ILR sorted.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2012
claremont:
I did not use any guarantor when I did mine, I think that only applies to people who do not already have a Nigerian passport. As for your Shengen trips, you may have to travel with both passports till you get your ILR sorted.
Just a couple more things Claremont:

On the Nigeria Immigration Service Website, is payment taken before appointment times are displayed or do you have a view of available dates first?
When at the embassy for the passport interview will my current passport be taken off me or do I only have to show it for the record?
Were your old passport pages stamped with the remarks "cancelled without prejudice" when you went to collect the new one or before?

Thanks!
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by claremont(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2012
On the Nigeria Immigration Service Website, is payment taken before appointment times are displayed or do you have a view of available dates first?: I can't really remember as I did mine about a year ago, but I think the payment is taken before and not after. When I did mine, the nearest appointment date was about 3 months away. I heard that if you are not happy with your date of appointment, you can call them at the embassy to get it shifted closer or farther. I could be wrong on this though.

When at the embassy for the passport interview will my current passport be taken off me or do I only have to show it for the record?: Your current passport will be taken off you and given to you when your new passport is ready. Mine took about a week.

Were your old passport pages stamped with the remarks "cancelled without prejudice" when you went to collect the new one or before?: Yes, all the blank page of my old passport were stamped with "cancelled without prejudice". The only page that isn't stamped is the page containing your vignette.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 10:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
claremont: On the Nigeria Immigration Service Website, is payment taken before appointment times are displayed or do you have a view of available dates first?: I can't really remember as I did mine about a year ago, but I think the payment is taken before and not after. When I did mine, the nearest appointment date was about 3 months away. I heard that if you are not happy with your date of appointment, you can call them at the embassy to get it shifted closer or farther. I could be wrong on this though.

When at the embassy for the passport interview will my current passport be taken off me or do I only have to show it for the record?: Your current passport will be taken off you and given to you when your new passport is ready. Mine took about a week.

Were your old passport pages stamped with the remarks "cancelled without prejudice" when you went to collect the new one or before?: Yes, all the blank page of my old passport were stamped with "cancelled without prejudice". The only page that isn't stamped is the page containing your vignette.
Thanks Claremont, you've been very helpful. From the sounds of it I think i'll just let my passport run till summer of next year and then renew. It might be too complicated getting one now with my trips so close to each other.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Select(m): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
A quick question here.
Pls what's the procedure at the High Commission for someone( a Nigerian), that has a British passport and resident in London, and now intends to travel to Naija for about two weeks?
Thnks.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by claremont(m): 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Select: A quick question here.
Pls what's the procedure at the High Commission for someone( a Nigerian), that has a British passport and resident in London, and now intends to travel to Naija for about two weeks?
Thnks.
The procedure depends on whether you already have a Nigerian passport or not. If you do have a Nigerian passport (albeit expired), you can apply for the new E-passport via the Nigerian high commission website. If you don't have a Nigerian passport, you will need to apply for a visa to Nigeria. Have a look at the website http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/

Good luck.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by giggsy: 7:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
Hello. I have applied for my e-passport to be renewed in London this year. The N.I.S. website generated an automatic interview date-January 20, following my successful payment of $65. However, my e-passport booking appointment date that I got via the Nigeria High Commission's website is on March 15. Please has anyone else experienced such a scenario? Would I need to show up at the High Commission on the 20th of January or on the 15th of March? Thank you.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
giggsy: Hello. I have applied for my e-passport to be renewed in London this year. The N.I.S. website generated an automatic interview date-January 20, following my successful payment of $65. However, my e-passport booking appointment date that I got via the Nigeria High Commission's website is on March 15. Please has anyone else experienced such a scenario? Would I need to show up at the High Commission on the 20th of January or on the 15th of March? Thank you.
Why did you book another appointment via the NHC website when you already received on on via NIS?

I completed my online application today and booked an alternative appointment via the NHC website ONLY because the NIS generated an appointment date that falls on a bank holiday when the Embassy in London will no doubt be closed.

Do remember to take your appointment slip along with other print outs.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 12:55pm On Feb 22, 2013
My interview date is on the 5 th of March but the time was not specified, since i am coming from Manchester, i will like to know the timing of the interview... meaning if i can i arrive any time before 4 pm since i will be leaving from Manchester on the same day.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
jeff_oja: My interview date is on the 5 th of March but the time was not specified, since i am coming from Manchester, i will like to know the timing of the interview... meaning if i can i arrive any time before 4 pm since i will be leaving from Manchester on the same day.
Ah, I see.

Unfortunately no specific time slot is allocated, just a date. It is no good travelling down from Manchester same day unless you plan on arriving in London before 9 a.m. and it is best that you are at the Embassy by 9 a.m. to join an already forming queue. Once in the Embassy a ticketing system operates: You take a ticket number, sit and wait for your number to be called. The later you arrive at the Embassy the longer you will wait to be seen.

Again, get there early! I will be following my own advice, though easier as I live in London and fairly close to the centre.

P.S: I found an article online that mentions a Nigerian Consulate recently open in Manchester, the address is:

Nigerian House
Appleby House
Platt Lane, Manchester,
Greater Manchester M14 5NE

If this is legitimate then why not apply for your passport there?
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2013
On the web we have only London........No option of selecting another location, I am just hearing about the new Consulate recently opened in Manchester
Plum70:
Ah, I see.

Unfortunately no specific time slot is allocated, just a date. It is no good travelling down from Manchester same day unless you plan on arriving in London before 9 a.m. and it is best that you are at the Embassy by 9 a.m. to join an already forming queue. Once in the Embassy a ticketing system operates: You take a ticket number, sit and wait for your number to be called. The later you arrive at the Embassy the longer you will wait to be seen.

Again, get there early! I will be following my own advice, though easier as I live in London and fairly close to the centre.

P.S: I found an article online that mentions a Nigerian Consulate recently open in Manchester, the address is:

Nigerian House
Appleby House
Platt Lane, Manchester,
Greater Manchester M14 5NE

If this is legitimate then why not apply for your passport there?
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 12:42am On Feb 24, 2013
OK. In which case just follow my advice: Get into London early on the day and join the queue at the NHC by 9 a.m.

I'll be there next week and can post my experience if you feel it'll help.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 12:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
Thanks, will be expecting you experience,,,,
Plum70: OK. In which case just follow my advice: Get into London early on the day and join the queue at the NHC by 9 a.m.

I'll be there next week and can post my experience if you feel it'll help.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 10:33am On Feb 26, 2013
how do i get my postal order?
jeff_oja: Thanks, will be expecting you experience,,,,
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
jeff_oja: how do i get my postal order?
In any UK post office.

My time at the embassy took under 3 hours. Got there a bit later than planned but all OK. You will have to return to London at an appointed date to pick up your new passport and takes about a week to be processed.

Have fun there and remember to pack a non-fragrant lunch (Mc Donald's, Burger King an KFC not allowed). You will need it!
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2013
Thanks Man, That means i will park just bread.......apples......and my return back to mase is 11:30 that means i will spend a very long time in london doing nothing
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 4:03pm On Mar 01, 2013
jeff_oja: Thanks Man, That means i will park just bread.......apples......and my return back to mase is 11:30 that means i will spend a very long time in london doing nothing
Yes, lots of fruit! A sandwich should be fine as long as it doesn't have loads of garlic and onions.

Your return train to Manchester is 11.30 p.m Way too far ahead... can't you amend this?

If not, there's lots to do and see in London - You could relax in museums, cafes or libraries. Not ideal locations for personal time-out but better than freezing out in the cold.

Let us know how it goes at the Embassy.

Cheers
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 12:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
All i will need is just my old passport, 2 passport photograph, postal order, please let me know if i will need anything more
Plum70:
Yes, lots of fruit! A sandwich should be fine as long as it doesn't have loads of garlic and onions.

Your return train to Manchester is 11.30 p.m Way too far ahead... can't you amend this?

If not, there's lots to do and see in London - You could relax in museums, cafes or libraries. Not ideal locations for personal time-out but better than freezing out in the cold.

Let us know how it goes at the Embassy.

Cheers
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by bethnals: 7:06pm On Mar 03, 2013
jeff_oja: All i will need is just my old passport, 2 passport photograph, postal order, please let me know if i will need anything more

need to print out the confirmation of payment slip. And also they take your picture there. Its digital photo.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by Plum70: 7:30pm On Mar 04, 2013
As already mentioned, do not bother with passport pictures, they will be taken digitally at the Embassy as well as your finger prints (thumb and 1st finger of both hands).

You need to take print outs of your payment CONFIRMATION slip and appointment booking confirmation - this will either be the one from the NIS website or the Embassy's site depending on which you are using.

Yes, take your old passport. If it is an E-passport then it will be retained but returned when you go to collect the new one. The old MRP passport doesn't get retained, only inspected on the day.

Yes, postal order of £20.00 made payable to 'Nigeria High Commission'. You will be given a receipt for this. That's about it for a simple passport re-issue but only you will know if there are special circumstances with your application.

Hope it all goes smoothly.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by jeffoja: 9:21am On Mar 05, 2013
Thanks i went there yesterday and it went smoothly
Plum70: As already mentioned, do not bother with passport pictures, they will be taken digitally at the Embassy as well as your finger prints (thumb and 1st finger of both hands).

You need to take print outs of your payment CONFIRMATION slip and appointment booking confirmation - this will either be the one from the NIS website or the Embassy's site depending on which you are using.

Yes, take your old passport. If it is an E-passport then it will be retained but returned when you go to collect the new one. The old MRP passport doesn't get retained, only inspected on the day.

Yes, postal order of £20.00 made payable to 'Nigeria High Commission'. You will be given a receipt for this. That's about it for a simple passport re-issue but only you will know if there are special circumstances with your application.

Hope it all goes smoothly.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by bueze(f): 12:07am On Mar 10, 2013
Hi @ plum 70, I will be going to the London office for my epassport extension but dread going to the high commission with a great passion. Could you kindly advise as I will be travelling from WIgan and would love to come back same day. Will I be getting back my passport same day as I am extending for another 5 years based on the 10 years validity of a passport? How long will the whole process take as I intend to plan my journey as I will be travelling with my new born baby on the train? Do i need to pay online or just get the £20 postal order? please advise, I would appreciate an urgent response.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by togweh: 3:40pm On Mar 13, 2013
jeff_oja: Thanks i went there yesterday and it went smoothly

Hello all, I am applying for an extension for my son and as i am not the applicant I dont know what to do. I logged in via the nic website and it took me to the swc global website. I was asked to login in with an email address which i did and it took me to a pge with my name..I was unable to change it.Should i create another email account for my five year old son in his name and then go through the process.@Jeff and Plum please help em as I am desperately in need of help.
Re: Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London by dustydee: 11:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
Pretty straight forward as highlighted by Plum. Passport due in a weeks' time. Thanks for your help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Myth About Nigerians Washing Dead Bodies In The US / Passengers Die In Accident On Warri-Ughelli Expressway In Delta. Graphic Pics / COVID-19: The Story Of Nigerians Under Lockdown In Foreign Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.