Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,938 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate (7194 Views)

Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Or Romney- Who Would You Vote For? / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by BizBooks(m): 7:35am On Aug 11, 2012
Reports from several credible news sources including The Huffington Post and NBC News are
indicating that Mitt Romney has chosen Paul Ryan as his running mate in the upcoming
presidential election. For those who do not follow US politics, Paul Ryan is a 42 year old
ultra right wing conservative member of the Republican Party. His selection will no doubt
please fellow right wing conservatives who have been lobbying for his selection.
Ironically, the selection is bound to please Democrats who are yearning to run against an
ultra conservative like Ryan.

Ryan is the author of the controversial Republican budget which called for a radical
overhaul of the Medicare and Medicaid programmes. That budget is not popular among many
Americans especially the poor and elderly. This election will no doubt be very interesting.

Stay tuned. More to follow.

NORFOLK, Va.--Mitt Romney announced Saturday he's selected Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his vice presidential running mate. The announcement came just after 7am ET via Mitt's VP, a mobile application launched by the campaign earlier this month.

According to a statement the campaign released late Friday, the presumptive Republican nominee will appear with his running mate at an 8:45am rally here on the USS Wisconsin--the first stop of his four-day bus tour of key battleground states. The campaign offered no further details, and aides traveling with Ronney declined to comment.

The Romney campaign's confirmation comes hours after multiple news organizations, including NBC News, the Huffington Post, the Associated Press and CNN, cited sources saying Romney would name Ryan--reports the campaign refused to confirm. Early Saturday morning, the site, RomneyRyan.com, began referring to a page on Romney's official campaign website touting "America's Comeback Team."

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio--all of whom were said to be on Romney's short list--were informed late Friday that they were not the pick, according to ABC News's Jon Karl.

Soon after the Romney campaign announced the Saturday appearance, speculation about the VP pick began, with Romney's choice of venue for the announcement offering a potential clue. The USS Wisconsin is the ship named after the home state of Ryan, the chairman of the House Budget Committee who has created buzz among conservatives recently. But the announcement also takes place in Virginia, whose governor, Bob McDonnell, had also been rumored as a possible vice presidential pick.

CNN reported late Friday that Romney phoned several Republicans believed to be on his short list to tell them he had made a pick--though he didn't identify who that person was, nor did the network identify who he phoned. A Romney spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-announce-vp-pick-saturday-032140054.html
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by KayDee4: 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2012
[size=17pt] Paul Ryan, cheesy cheesy lol . The Dems are rolling out their tanks now grin . Tim Paw' will be disappointed; Rubio must have learnt about his fate a long time ago since his name disappeared from media speculation. Anyway, its about to get more interesting . Let the battle begin continue. [/size]
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 7:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
Smart choice. Romney must have some competent advisors somewhere in his entourage because I doubt he could have thought of this himself.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by ebamma(m): 8:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
who cares,last time i checked nigeria was not a colony of america so how do their presidential elections concern us.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by slimming: 8:07pm On Aug 11, 2012
ebamma: who cares,last time i checked nigeria was not a colony of america so how do their presidential elections concern us.
ebamma: who cares,last time i checked nigeria was not a colony of america so how do their presidential elections concern us.

Na so.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by CarlosVent(m): 8:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
Even if he picks Beckham or Usain Bolt Obama Barrack will still win him with a wide margin.
Mtchew.

5 Likes

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Lordave: 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
CarlosVent: Even if he picks Tunde Bakare or GEJ, Barrack Obama will still win him with a wide margin.
Mtchew.
lol
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Lordave: 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
Wish him gud lcuk
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 11, 2012
May Romney/Ryan win.

Obama is just too phoney; he doesn't have the guts to say what is on his mind, always beating around the bush.

2 Likes

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by lafuria1(m): 8:34pm On Aug 11, 2012
How does these concern us. V.Ps are just spare tyres waitin 4 d president to die. Sambo is doin ntin. Biden i guess is idle. It is romney vs obama. To hell wt both.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Delafruita(m): 8:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED: Smart choice. Romney must have some competent advisors somewhere in his entourage because I doubt he could have thought of this himself.
ryan has been in contention for a while.he campaigned with romney for a week and the 2 seemed to get along very well.as for the choice been smart,its the exact opposite.the aim is to draw blue-collar voters and core conservatives.however,the democrats will shift the focus to ryan's budget which even a far-right man like gingrich criticized.the budget is simply ridiculous and is even worse than gingrich's "contract with america".
i see this move as the worst romney has made.he was been pummeled on all sides and now he picks a VP with a budget baggage

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Delafruita(m): 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2012
Olodostein: May Romney/Ryan win.

Obama is just too phoney; he doesn't have the guts to say what is on his mind, always beating around the bush.
hmm.the first president to publicly endorse gay marriage doesnt have the guts to say whats on his mind..
a president who stood up for hume despite the embarrasment of her marriage is phoney.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:49pm On Aug 11, 2012
Wow, now i feel bad for romney( not really). Paul ryan tho?? Tea party crazed Paul ryan? Rush limbaugh would have probably been a better choice, even Donald trump would have been great. Obama is probably at the white house right now, throwing a party. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 9:06pm On Aug 11, 2012
Delafruita:
ryan has been in contention for a while.he campaigned with romney for a week and the 2 seemed to get along very well.as for the choice been smart,its the exact opposite.the aim is to draw blue-collar voters and core conservatives.however,the democrats will shift the focus to ryan's budget which even a far-right man like gingrich criticized.the budget is simply ridiculous and is even worse than gingrich's "contract with america".
i see this move as the worst romney has made.he was been pummeled on all sides and now he picks a VP with a budget baggage

That's my point. It's smart. Romney's apparent "moderateness" doesn't appeal to the core conservatives and his extra rich background doesn't appeal to the right demographic. It's not about that budget proposal, which will soon become irrelevant, but about Ryan's appeal.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by shilling(f): 9:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
His strategy is to get the conservatives vote, fair enough. However, I think this is good news for Obama.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by KayDee4: 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED: That's my point. It's smart. Romney's apparent "moderateness" doesn't appeal to the core conservatives and his extra rich background doesn't appeal to the right demographic. It's not about that budget proposal, which will soon become irrelevant, but about Ryan's appeal.
[size=17pt] Yes, Ryan buys Romney the conservatives' support (which he's not been getting to the fullest) but his budget plan puts them both in direct line of fire from the Dems and that will sure be a talking point that won't go away; there's already an ad running on his medicaid voucher plan and the effect it will have on seniors.[/size]
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2012

Please consult this thread and gain some knowledge:

https://www.nairaland.com/1006577/dumb-mitt-romney-quotes-funny

Please also remember that Romney is the same guy that actually said that the "trees are the right height" in a state in an pathetic/phony attempt to suck up to voters in that state.

Obama spoke on

-the Henry Louis Gates arrest
-the Trayvon Martin slaying
-Kanye west being a jackass
-black American social issues (which made Jesse Jackson falsely claim he was 'talking down to black folk')
-what a so called "typical white person" would do in a certain specific situation

and some other things very frankly and bluntly in a way that earned him some criticism and in some cases, some agreement/admiration. Let's not completely distort recent reality when it's so fresh in all our memories.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by BizBooks(m): 9:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
Olodostein:

You don't know Romney then. Romney was once asked in an interview to outline the policies he
will implement as president and he replied "If I tell you, I will lose". This is a true
story. Apart from cutting taxes for the rich, nobody really knows what Romney stands for
because he is keeping it top secret.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by KayDee4: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
BizBooks: You don't know Romney then. Romney was once asked in an interview to outline the policies he
will implement as president and he replied "If I tell you, I will lose". This is a true
story. Apart from cutting taxes for the rich, nobody really knows what Romney stands for
because he is keeping it top secret.
[size=17pt] There's no secret, he stands for nothing and will say anything to get elected.[/size]
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by BizBooks(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2012
Now this is getting absurd:

Paul Ryan's popularity derives from his Budget Plan which is widely popular among conservative
republicans. Everybody believes that was why Romney picked him because that's the only thing
he is known for. Now Romney's campaign spokesman is saying that Romney will not adopt Ryan's
budget proposal. They are claiming that Romney will come out with his own budget proposal.

This does not make any sense. They picked Ryan because he is supposed to be a fiscal and
financial wizard. Now they will no longer adopt the budget he has been working on for the
past 2 years?
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:27pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:

That's my point. It's smart. Romney's apparent "moderateness" doesn't appeal to the core conservatives and his extra rich background doesn't appeal to the right demographic. It's not about that budget proposal, which will soon become irrelevant, but about Ryan's appeal.
Dude have u even seen his budget plan. His plan to raise defence spending, Medicare cutbacks, Medicade cutbacks, Tax cuts (which basically means eliminating loopholes and deductions so that some people who end up exempt from taxes—including many lower earners—would end up paying something.)e.t.c Its all bad!! I don't know about you, but the vast majority of americans don't want to see cuts in social security or medicare. And that's a FACT!
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by BizBooks(m): 9:36pm On Aug 11, 2012
@PhysicsQED,

Romney used to be a moderate but not anymore. He has reversed all the moderate positions he
took in the past in favour of far right positions. For instance:

He used to be in favour of Gun Control - Not anymore
He used to be Pro-Choice - Not anymore

A true moderate will not pick a hard liner like Ryan as his running mate. He did it to please
the conservative wing of the republican party. That's why TIME magazine called him a Wimp in
their last week edition. He cannot stand up to the bullies of the Tea Party and far right.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 9:38pm On Aug 11, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
Dude have u even seen his budget plan. His plan to raise defence spending, Medicare cutbacks, Medicade cutbacks, Tax cuts (which basically means eliminating loopholes and deductions so that some people who end up exempt from taxes—including many lower earners—would end up paying something.)e.t.c Its all bad!! I don't know about you, but the vast majority of americans don't want to see cuts in social security or medicare. And that's a FACT!

If I were a betting man, I'd bet money that we won't hear even a peep out of Paul Ryan promoting his plan when we get close to election time. He'll almost certainly just evade questions about that budget of his. The vice president and his ideas go to the background, naturally, so that's not a huge liability for Romney and the gain in picking Ryan definitely outweighs the risks.

1 Like

Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2012
BizBooks: @PhysicsQED,

Romney used to be a moderate but not anymore. He has reversed all the moderate positions he
took in the past in favour of far right positions. For instance:

He used to be in favour of Gun Control - Not anymore
He used to be Pro-Choice - Not anymore

A true moderate will not pick a hard liner like Ryan as his running mate. He did it to please
the conservative wing of the republican party. That's why TIME magazine called him a Wimp in
their last week edition. He cannot stand up to the bullies of the Tea Party and far right.

Well I said apparent. Even with what you mentioned, he would probably still be considered a moderate compared to some other Republicans.

I don't think Romney really knows where he stands on many things. He seems to just try and appeal to the crowd on some things.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet money that we won't hear even a peep out of Paul Ryan promoting his plan when we get close to election time. He'll almost certainly just evade questions about that budget of his. The vice president and his ideas go to the background, naturally, so that's not a huge liability for Romney and the gain in picking Ryan definitely outweighs the risks.

No they just don't go to the background because, he is his Running mate. His plans and ideology can be used against romney by his competitor "The obama machine" through Ads. And Ads contribute a lot, if all you see on tv every time is that same ad, it might change your vote.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by onatisi(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
is nigeria a top priority on mitt romney campaign message or programme ?
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by PhysicsQED(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
No they just don't go to the background because, he is his Running mate. His plans and ideology can be used against romney by his competitor "The obama machine" through Ads. And Ads contribute a lot, if all you see on tv every time is that same ad, it might change your vote.

This is true, but I still think it's not going to be that big a factor for them and that the choice of Ryan was smart in terms of securing votes. I'm skeptical of how many votes Romney would really lose because of undecided voters thinking Romney would try to implement Ryan's budget. I don't think it'll have a really significant effect.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:

This is true, but I still think it's not going to be that big a factor for them and that the choice of Ryan was smart in terms of securing votes. I'm skeptical of how many votes Romney would really lose because from undecided voters thinking Romney would try to implement Ryan's budget. I don't think it'll have a really significant effect.
Ok then, we will watch and see. smiley
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 11, 2012
Delafruita:
hmm.the first president to publicly endorse gay marriage doesnt have the guts to say whats on his mind..
a president who stood up for hume despite the embarrasment of her marriage is phoney.

pandering not guts
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2012

Hmmm... Now I see why your name is [b]olodo[/b]stein. Im not even going to waste my time and explain what is so wrong with your comment, because i know you wont understand.
Re: Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2012
MITT ROMNEY & PAUL RYAN: AMERICA’S COMEBACK TEAM

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angola's AMAZING Post-War Transformation / Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa / Hillary Clinton Farts On Live Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.