Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,591 members, 7,840,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? (18384 Views)

Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) / Is Gtbank Really The Best Bank In Nigeria / Why Is Gtbank Naira Mastercard Not Working On Facebook & Google Advertisement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by BAMMZ(m): 8:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
I recieved a very rude shock from G.TB too. Always thot they were the best until lately. And i cant believe Firstbank, as old as she is, will be such an innovative bank! I underrated FBN for too long but they have surpassed my expectation. What can i not do with my savings account and firstonline? Now i know better. . .a newbroom can never teach a older broom!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by ekundayomi: 9:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
Na true ooo I tried using my saving account to receive western union they said i have to use a current account which i dont have,. na wa for Ninja banks oo
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by doofanc: 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
yamakuza: it appears that Diamond Bank and First Bank are the next best alternatives?

BAMMZ: I recieved a very rude shock from G.TB too. Always thot they were the best until lately. And i cant believe Firstbank, as old as she is, will be such an innovative bank! I underrated FBN for too long but they have surpassed my expectation. What can i not do with my savings account and firstonline? Now i know better. . .a newbroom can never teach a older broom!

First bank has certainly been a pleasant surprise regarding the effectiveness of their e-banking services, whether via mobile phone or lappy. I've been truly impressed.

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jpphilips(m): 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
jorge1980: It seems the pretense is over with GTbank. I had issues using the internet banking platform for a couple of days trying to transfer funds from on gt acct to another. I did this without success and decided to call the customer service center.

I was gracefully told that "due to a security upgrade" transfers (including internal) can only be made from current accounts and I had to open a current account to do that.

This coming from a supposedly IT compliant bank selling bogus hardware tokens for internet banking is outrageous . I had always known the bank was overated and this just breaks the camels back......closing my account immediately.

yea!! close the damn acct because u were so daft to read where they apologised that the upgrade will take a little longer.
Account holders will complain, balance of 20k will complain, believe me, GTB wont miss you and i will see a reduction at atm queue by 1 so pls leave quickly.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jpphilips(m): 9:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
ikhile666: [/color][color=#990000] ;DKeystone bank is the bomb now.did a transfer their no charges from an internal account to another and also did a transfer from their atm to aanother bank hassle free.I ve already closed my gt account

lol @ keystone bank, even sanusi coulld not think of a better name? gTb to keystone? Lol Nigeria to iraq imho
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jpphilips(m): 10:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
sunky644: I think what they are really after is for customers to buy the token. I tried making an important transaction lastweek but all to no avail as the excuse was this security issue. I was forced to buy the token since it's the only solution to that present problem. So, if you want to ve a smooth internet banking with GTBank, then I advice you get the token. But, if you don't want to buy the token, it's either you close your account with them or forget internet banking as far as the bank is concerned.

i think its all abt the token, of course there are a lot of worms on the internet and the token is a security device, had the problem too but immediately i bought the token voila!!
Everytin was ok, mind u GTB token cost 1.5k while almighty first bank charged 2k yet first bank couldnt sync my token with my acct.
Believe me sanusi is a waste championing cashless amidst poor infrastructure is very thoughtless of him, but comming from this administration, i am not suprised
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by KokoBeware: 10:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
abbyintuition: I'm surprised at the temper tantrums thrown here. I had received a amail frm them notifying me that they were migrating technology as a result of which transfers would not take place frm savings accounts for a while. Excerpts:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for maintaining a banking relationship with Guaranty Trust Bank plc.

In line with our commitment to ensure you perform your banking transactions quickly, safely and conveniently, we would like to inform you that we are presently upgrading the security features for third party transfers and several other functions on our internet banking platform.

Kindly note that during this upgrade exercise the third party transfer function for Savings Accounts on our Internet Banking platform will be unavailable to customers.

Should you require to transfer money to a third party, please transfer the funds to your current account and then perform the transaction. You can also visit any GTBank branch nationwide to effect your transfer.

We sincerely regret all inconveniences caused by this development and assure you of our commitment to providing you with excellent service at all times.

For more information, please to GTConnect on 01-4480000, 08029002900 or 08039003900 or visit our website www.gtbank.com.

Thank you.

They hvnt gotten there (perfection) yet, but they are pressin toward it.

One man's food is another's poison. But i'll encourage some understanding.

Cheers nairalanders

You dont shutdown a service that is widely used indefinately (and twist peoples arms to open current accounts)..... Basic IT principles should have been followed to ensure minimum downtime, also there should be at least an estimated time where the service will come back up... GTB just proved unrealiable with this move...
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by futurewise11(m): 10:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
Lempeh: Pls nairaland how much will it cost me to open a Gtb account thanks as you reply back
Minimum of 1050 naira only for atm charges and vat.docs requre I d card,utility bill,passport photograph.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by egoldman(m): 11:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
What i think that's been going on with gtb bank is that either the bank is running short on cash or they just dont know what harm they are doing themselves , and i think its most likely the cash problem.
I have four accounts with gtb bank, 1 normal current account which charges cot of 0.5% on any remmitance to the account no matter the means, weather you receive money by cash deposit, international transfer , online banking , cheque, atm transfer etc , gtb must charge the cot .
Then i have what gtb calls gtmax , this is kind of current account where 5 withdrawals are allowed free per month, and afterwards any withdrawal withing that month , then the bank would charge you cot for all your transactions of that month, and withdrawals means any damn means through which u withdraw money from the account , weather atm , cheque , cash withdrawal ,online transfer etc .
I also have normal savings account with gtb which ofcos charges no cot , but u are not allowed to transfer money to any other bank apart from gtb accounts.
then i have domiciliary account with gtb bank which am yet to make use of .
i took pains to explain all these so you would see why i think they might be having cash problem, so here are my reasons :

1, why would they have security challenges with the savings account and not the current account ? because they hardly make any money from the savings accounts , but in current they charge cot of 0.5% for any funds that gets to the account .
same reason also applies on why you must have current account with them before you can buy foreign currency or receive western union with them.
2, gtb bank never told me that my internet token ( i paid them 3k for it )would only work on my normal savings account and on my normal current account and not on the gtmax current account , and this is why ; i tried to do online transfer from my gtmax and the token was rejected , i wanted to make use of the free 5 withdraws grin grin grin grin grin but gtb was ready for me angry angry angry angry angry so i had to transfer the money to my current account and ( and be charged the cot) b4 my transfer could go through ,this is another sign that they might be having cash problem .
3,i was told that my gtb mastercard debit card is linked to all my accounts except the dom account , but there is catch here , what they did not tell me is that when i make shopping with the card as i live outside nigeria , money will be deducted from my current and not from my savings or gtmax account , this means if i want to spend money that is in my savings or gtmax account i would first have to transfer it to my normal current account b4 i would spend through my debit card, and this way they will still charge their cot.
4,Am sure the reason allow cash withdrawal from the savings outside nigeria is because of the expensive 1,000 naira charge per withdrawal.
my take is to be careful with them, i dont keep any reasonable amount with them these days .

3 Likes

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Blemex: 12:29am On Aug 13, 2012
slimming: Are you saying i can transfer with saving account to another gt bank acct holder? the last time i check, the customer care said it can't be possible except i have current account.
yes u can, av dön dat several times n neva experienced any kwam.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by blasterman(m): 12:58am On Aug 13, 2012
As far as I'm concerned gt bank is forked. There contact center is full of idiots. Skye hundred times better
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by geniusbami(m): 1:37am On Aug 13, 2012
legalwealth: But I was told last week here in Osogbo by a customer care agent that it will be rectified and that
it is not a permanent issue.
That agent is clearly not up to date.
GT has sent a mail, a while back, to its customers notifying them of the change.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by geniusbami(m): 1:44am On Aug 13, 2012
d7thcaller: @ slimming,

Yes you can now do transfer to other gt accounts through your savings acct. I did up to two transfers from my savings yesterday and all of them were successful.
Cheers

U're just lucky.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by kolexy(m): 5:34am On Aug 13, 2012
jorge1980: It seems the pretense is over with GTbank. I had issues using the internet banking platform for a couple of days trying to transfer funds from on gt acct to another. I did this without success and decided to call the customer service center.

I was gracefully told that "due to a security upgrade" transfers (including internal) can only be made from current accounts and I had to open a current account to do that.

This coming from a supposedly IT compliant bank selling bogus hardware tokens for internet banking is outrageous . I had always known the bank was overated and this just breaks the camels back......closing my account immediately.

@Poster, which bank do you work for? You do not have to demarket a competitor to draw customers to your bank.
GTB is still miles ahead of the rest.

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by meetgaya: 7:28am On Aug 13, 2012
i not open current account with them. the best is close the account and move to the next bank.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by infogenius(m): 8:06am On Aug 13, 2012
kolexy:

@Poster, which bank do you work for? You do not have to demarket a competitor to draw customers to your bank.
GTB is still miles ahead of the rest.

From your comments,I may assume you are GTbank staff.I am sorry to say that until last Friday I have held GTB in high esteem as they are the only bank I use.But my brother,GTbank is a mess full of confusionists that are not creative at all instead of being creative they are 4 looking for ways extort hard earned monies from customers at all cost and that is reflected in their services.It is only a matter of time to see what becomes of them if they continue this way.

We only need to be very vigilant as I would not be surprised if their marketers and staff hold guns to force you to part with your money if that is the last resort.

I am not only dissappointed in them I am also thinking of letting them go so that I can sleep well which I will.If GTB is the only bank in Nigeria I am sorry I will do as much as possible not have a bank trasaction at all.But thank God there are better ones.

Abeg I will like to open an account with First Bank which is "truly the first" what are the requirements to open an account with them?

2 Likes

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by wonderz(m): 11:02am On Aug 13, 2012
Can you guys enlighten me? I'm already using the token for transactions. Why on earth will GTB still be requesting that an additional code be sent to my mobile? Is the token not secured enough?
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jpphilips(m): 4:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
KokoBeware:

You dont shutdown a service that is widely used indefinately (and twist peoples arms to open current accounts)..... Basic IT principles should have been followed to ensure minimum downtime, also there should be at least an estimated time where the service will come back up... GTB just proved unrealiable with this move...

like the bank owns the technology? how are they supposed to determine all that? does the word "outsourcing" ring a bell?
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Abuleoshi: 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
@ JP Philips last time i checked, there was freedom of speech and even if GTB belonged to your father, people should be free to speak thier mind and complain no matter how much account balance they have.
I doubt if you have up to the N20,000 self. I Guess you are one broke ass!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by gabbytabby: 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Upgrade or no uprade no bank should hold access to your account for more than 24 hours. Some of their customers are abroad and rely on the internet what provisions have they made for those. I have been waiting for close to 2 weeks to receive money. If it was my bank, I will close it sharp sharp. If they can think that this is okay to do then, they really dont have their thinking cap on.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jiggo(m): 3:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
I have my token with me, yet I can't make transfers. And to think that this was what I was enjoying b4 now.
A staff of theirs told me that only current account can make online transfers that savings accounts have been used for fraudulent activities. Meanwhile I still make transfers from my former Intercontinental savings account to any bank via netbanking and even accessmobile.
Can u imagine the thinking of thus bank? Kaii I too over rate ds bank, dem fall my hand.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by meetgaya: 10:35am On Aug 28, 2012
jiggo: For how long is the upgrade? It's over a week now. I even sent them a mail on thursday to know howfar, no response.
Its just unfortunate if really they wana force us to open current acct b4 we can make transfers, absolutely absurd.
one week? is over 2months now
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by ADESANMIM(f): 8:10am On Sep 02, 2012
To you that have interest in openning FirstBank account_ National I'd card/voters I'd card/Driver licence or Intl paasport with ur utility bill (water rate bill,phcn bill or family receipt for new site witout address). Minimum amount to open savings acct is 2,000. Internet banking is free but token is also 3,000 and the token is used for savings and current! FirstBank is using highest grade banking software amongst all Banks in Nigeria! Ensure you get Firstmobile on your phone before leaving the Customer service officer so that you can have ur banking on the go! I love FirstBank,no cheating ! They have accounts variants_ savings,zero cot savings acct wt a chequebook, business accts which is a current account that its cheques go for clearing but no Cot is charged! The Bank collects flat charge of 2,000 on N5M turnover monthly and 5,000 on 15M turnover monthly! Walk into FirstBank nearest to you and experience true Banking! No hidden charges in their loans! You can make trsf to Fbn accts free of charge but to other Bank will cost you token as low as N45 thru First Instant Pay! No be by force to open current acct;Firstbank got varieties according to your needs!Talk to me if you are in Lagosand need further info_08032258365

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2012
f
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by infogenius(m): 5:14am On Nov 02, 2012
ADESANMI M: To you that have interest in openning FirstBank account_ National I'd card/voters I'd card/Driver licence or Intl paasport with ur utility bill (water rate bill,phcn bill or family receipt for new site witout address). Minimum amount to open savings acct is 2,000. Internet banking is free but token is also 3,000 and the token is used for savings and current! FirstBank is using highest grade banking software amongst all Banks in Nigeria! Ensure you get Firstmobile on your phone before leaving the Customer service officer so that you can have ur banking on the go! I love FirstBank,no cheating ! They have accounts variants_ savings,zero cot savings acct wt a chequebook, business accts which is a current account that its cheques go for clearing but no Cot is charged! The Bank collects flat charge of 2,000 on N5M turnover monthly and 5,000 on 15M turnover monthly! Walk into FirstBank nearest to you and experience true Banking! No hidden charges in their loans! You can make trsf to Fbn accts free of charge but to other Bank will cost you token as low as N45 thru First Instant Pay! No be by force to open current acct;Firstbank got varieties according to your needs!Talk to me if you are in Lagosand need further info_08032258365

How do you check your trasactions online with first bank?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Prevent Loan Apps Like Sokoloan From Calling My Contacts / Where Do I Buy Nylon For Plantain/potato Chips Packaging / Ifeanyi Ubah Sues DSS, Seeks Release From Detention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.