Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,328 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia (13371 Views)

See The 'whites Only' City Of Orania (SA) An Attempt To Resurrect The Apartheid / Robert Mugabe - Nigerian Witch Doctors Planned To Kill Me / Saudi Arabia To Build Women - Only City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
No man's land: Women-only city planned for Saudi Arabia to allow more and more females to pursue a career

Saudi Arabia is planning to build a new city exclusively for women as it bids to combine strict Sharia law and career minded females, pursuing work.

It is thought the Saudi Industrial Property Authority (Modon) has been asked to bring the country up to date with the rest of the modern world with the controversial city, which is now being designed with construction to begin next year.

It is hoped it will allow women’s desire to work without defying the country’s Islamic laws.

The municipality in the Eastern city of Hafuf is expected to attract 500 million riyals (£84m) in investments and it will create around 5,000 jobs in the textiles, pharmaceuticals and food processing industries.

There will be women-run firms and production lines for women.

There will be women-run firms and production lines for women.

Although Saudi Sharia law does not prohibit women to work figures show that only 15 per cent of women are represented in the workforce.

The plan coincides with the governments ambitions to get women to play a more active part in the development of the country. Among the stated objectives are to create jobs, particularly for younger women.

'I'm sure that women can demonstrate their efficiency in many aspects and clarify the industries that best suits their interests, their nature and their ability', Modon’s deputy director-general, Saleh Al-Rasheed, told Saudi daily newspaper al-Eqtisadiah.

Saudi’s existing industrial cities already have factories owned by women, as well as companies that employ a small portion of the female population and Saleh Al Rasheed added: 'We are now working on a second industrial city for women.

'We have plans to establish a number of women-only industries in various parts of the kingdom'.

As part of a mass overhaul of its workforce and its bid to get women into work the state is also attempting to replace foreign salespeople with Saudi women.

This summer, women started replacing staff in cosmetics and perfume shops, only half a year after they replaced male sales staff in lingerie stores.

But despite some progress, women's rights in Saudi Arabia are still defined by Islam and lack basic freedoms found in many Western cultures.

Last September, King Abdullah announced that women will be able to vote and run in the 2015 local elections but Saudi Arabia is still the only country in the world that prohibits women from driving and it took huge efforts from the International Olympic Committee to persuade them to enter women in the Games for the first time ever.

Wojdan Shaherkani's Olympics lasted just over a minute, but the fact she made it to her judo bout with Puerto Rico's Melissa Mojica meant it was a revolutionary moment for the women of Saudi Arabia.

Making history: Saudi Arabia's Wojdan Shaherkani and Afghanistan's Tahmina Kohistani were the first women to represent their countries in the Olympics

The country's ultra-conservative clergy tried to destroy her ambitions to be Saudi's first female Olympian, before an argument about the type of headscarf she should wear jeopardised her place at the eleventh hour.

The Games in London were also a first for Afghanistan, also bound by strict law, when Tahmina Kohistani ran in the 100m, despite months of harassment from men who believed she should not be allowed to compete.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187072/Saudi-Arabia-Women-city-planned-allow-more-females-pursue-career.html#ixzz23L3fTYqb
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 12, 2012
i been tink say u wan begin criticize oo.its seems to be the only thing you do on this forum. Pls mellow down on the aggressiveness in your criticism of other people.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
souldust: i been tink say u wan begin criticize oo.its seems to be the only thing you do on this forum. Pls mellow down on the aggressiveness in your criticism of other people.

direct your frustration at the daily mail.

This is not a critical article.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Chanchit: 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2012
They are jst trying to create more problems for them selfs, by breeding lesbians in their country..

15 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
frosbel:

direct your frustration at the daily mail.

This is not a critical article.
i am sorry if i offended you. Thats not my intention
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Bella3(f): 1:43am On Aug 13, 2012
so they want to stop men from looking at women bt they want to increase lesbianism? YA SALAMU.

2 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by tpia5: 2:38am On Aug 13, 2012
Wojdan Shaherkani

the name doesnt sound arabic/islamic at all.

anyone know what it means?
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by wiegraf: 7:51am On Aug 13, 2012
tpia@:

the name doesnt sound arabic/islamic at all.

anyone know what it means?

Iirc afghanis aren't arabs, like iranians. So the name is not islamic but it could farsi, or whatever her tribe is.

And all many of you took out of this is lesbianism?

I find it rather odd that a lot of people insist on mixing religion with politics.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by tpia5: 8:11am On Aug 13, 2012
^

the lady with that name is supposed to be saudi arabian, i believe.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by wiegraf: 8:20am On Aug 13, 2012
tpia@:
^

the lady with that name is supposed to be saudi arabian, i believe.

Oops, my bad. You are correct. I hope she isn't some sort of persecuted minority, though that wouldn't change the gravity of the issue.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
ISLAM; What a religion ? I always pity these women.

5 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
wiegraf:

Iirc afghanis aren't arabs, like iranians. So the name is not islamic but it could farsi, or whatever her tribe is.

And all many of you took out of this is lesbianism?

I find it rather odd that a lot of people insist on mixing religion with politics.
The segregation is to satisfy a sexual end, is it not? Hence, the questions raised. Don't you think that that would be a legitimate concern?
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lord!! I see I see I see lesbians in the making shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Bawss1(m): 3:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
Off course the only way for guys to get in is if they adopt the Alamieyeseigha Approach.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS19sUDbfHWX6p5RZtphqs_p361XMayzMuXeEHynSbTGW5Zu9gWlQe5qUUFuw[/img]

4 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by tonyx4x44(m): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
Chanchit: They are jst trying to creat more problems for they selfs, by breeding lesbians in their country..
I wonder
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by tbaba1234: 3:42pm On Aug 13, 2012
From the article, it is a commercial city, NOT a residential city

Men work together all the time in our male dominated societies; why do they not get comments of breeding gay people?

It gives career oriented women an opportunity to pursue a career path; These women still have families outside the city...

4 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by 10over101: 3:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
Billyonaire: ISLAM; What a religion ? I always pity these women.
Indeed the religion is becoming something else..I think they are the world's problem!!!..

1 Like

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by DANILSA(m): 3:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
I watched it myself, although the two ladies failed woefully, one of the worst av ever seen but I think it's a major breakthrough for women in saudi arabia and other muslim extremist countries. Upon the failure the girls were very happy to have been dea.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by ashson: 3:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
Women are best respected in islam, it doesnt allow any hardship for the women. all her responsibilities ar 4 d care of her parents as a child, husband as a wife, children as a mother. women are treated with best care and affection in islam.

6 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by fatahtalks(m): 3:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
islam has given right to women dat d west and xtristainity, u pple prostitute ur women in d name of civilisation. Go and check records women are more abuse and molested in d west than any muslim country.. Western women smoke , drink alchol, prostitute and gamble. Is dis wat u call civilisation? I pity pple who nt nt muslim. Islam d best of civilisation.

4 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by 10over101: 3:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
Islamist would soon start worldwide killing of non- Islam people..watch out for World war III..
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by damas11111(m): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
10 over 10: Indeed the religion is becoming something else..I think they are the world's problem!!!..

And it's the fastest growing religion!

1 Like

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by damas11111(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2012

You deserve pity more than Muslim women!

4 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Zikdik(m): 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2012
This is just an exercise that will promote sexuality rather than reduce it.Lesbians,get ready for a field day.

1 Like

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by 10over101: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
fatahtalks: islam has given right to women dat d west and xtristainity, u pple prostitute ur women in d name of civilisation. Go and check records women are more abuse and molested in d west than any muslim country.. Western women smoke , drink alchol, prostitute and gamble. Is dis wat u call civilisation? I pity pple who nt nt muslim. Islam d best of civilisation.
U people are mere fanatics ..that is why one alhaji would marry 42 women turning them to maids covering their faces..

2 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by damas11111(m): 3:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
10 over 10: U people are mere fanatics ..that is why one alhaji would marry 42 women turning them to maids covering their faces..

And?
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by alaoeri: 4:01pm On Aug 13, 2012
To all the critics whether lesbianism or not wetin concern una, u ppl just tremble whenever u heard anything about islam Allahu Akbar. U ppl should better face your God forsaken country where virtually everything ain't working bunch of hypocrites & beside nigeria where there's free mixing some still chose lesbianism so wetin una dey yarn. Mstcheeeeew.
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by kinguwem: 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
Though Saudi Arabia is a rich nation, she is still far from civilization. Any nation that does not guarantee fundamental human rights is still primitive.

7 Likes

Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Chanchit: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2012
fatahtalks: islam has given right to women dat d west and xtristainity, u pple prostitute ur women in d name of civilisation. Go and check records women are more abuse and molested in d west than any muslim country.. Western women smoke , drink alchol, prostitute and gamble. Is dis wat u call civilisation? I pity pple who nt nt muslim. Islam d best of civilisation.
With people like you arnd, muslim women will suffer till they enter alijana.. Cos u have always made them accept that they are the weaker vessel, while the guys can marry till you drop dead, bt now their new strategy is to find a dump site for the females, the next step would be to set camera all over the city, to watch the females in case them wan start to touch their selves..
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2012
Two words: Lesbian pörn!
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Chanchit: 4:13pm On Aug 13, 2012
alaoeri: To all the critics whether lesbianism or not wetin concern una, u ppl just tremble whenever u heard anything about islam Allahu Akbar. U ppl should better face your God forsaken country where virtually everything ain't working bunch of hypocrites & beside nigeria where there's free mixing some still chose lesbianism so wetin una dey yarn. Mstcheeeeew.
Tremble when we hear what...? Why won't we tremble, make i wait make una come bomb me..? Maybe u guys should even pack go the city, so Nigeria will see peace, abeg... And i hope u r a female, so them go catch u practicing lesles, i knw ur religion is a peaceful one, na like ileya ram them go kill you...
Re: Women-only City Planned For Saudi Arabia by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Two words: Lesbian pörn!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hurricane Irma In Cuba Kills 10 People / William Barr: No Evidence Of Widespread Voter Fraud Yet / Pope Francis Says Ukraine War Fuelled Not Just By 'Russian Empire'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.