Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,763 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (32542 Views)

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / Is Antifreeze The Radiator Coolant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by onyik44(m): 1:26pm On May 28, 2016
Oga siena,
The A/c of my car has stopped working for a while. No gas and even when you fill with gas,it leaks and finishes within 3 days. Recently, my radiator which is single cell was overheating and started leaking badly. My mechanic said the issue for the a/c was that the car was produced as a right wheel car but converted to left so the evaporator or something related to the a/c wasn't sitting well. Also for the radiator,he said I needed to change to double cell. I just wanted to find out if these are lasting solutions to the issue or not. Also,i would love to know the price range they sell a double cell radiator for camry 2.2. I would appreciate your swift response.Thank You
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by adeleks: 10:45pm On May 28, 2016
onyik44:
Oga siena,
The A/c of my car has stopped working for a while. No gas and even when you fill with gas,it leaks and finishes within 3 days. Recently, my radiator which is single cell was overheating and started leaking badly. My mechanic said the issue for the a/c was that the car was produced as a right wheel car but converted to left so the evaporator or something related to the a/c wasn't sitting well. Also for the radiator,he said I needed to change to double cell. I just wanted to find out if these are lasting solutions to the issue or not. Also,i would love to know the price range they sell a double cell radiator for camry 2.2. I would appreciate your swift response.Thank You

Read through peoples experience above.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by spartanian(m): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2016
quite helpful
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Macmilla(m): 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2016
The first step to solving this menace of radiator switch shorting, double cell radiator and thermostat removal, is to make Nigerians understand that an engine is actually supposed to be hot to perform efficiently. A cold engine is a suffering engine.
For an engine,
HEATING UP is good
OVERHEATING is bad
NOT HEATING UP is bad

An engine us supposed to hear up to a certain temperature (80-90degrees) to work efficiently and until it gets to dt temperature, it is an inefficient engine with high wear and tear.

2 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by erico2k2(m): 9:27am On Nov 06, 2016
Macmilla:
The first step to solving this menace of radiator switch shorting, double cell radiator and thermostat removal, is to make Nigerians understand that an engine is actually supposed to be hot to perform efficiently. A cold engine is a suffering engine.
For an engine,
HEATING UP is good
OVERHEATING is bad
NOT HEATING UP is bad

An engine us supposed to hear up to a certain temperature (80-90degrees) to work efficiently and until it gets to dt temperature, it is an inefficient engine with high wear and tear.
They wont hear this now,
Holy Ghost fire for any Mechanic who will advice a car owner to remove thier thermostat and wire their FAN direct, I wish all cars have same fan like the BMWs where you cant wire direct.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by SELKAY: 1:49pm On May 02, 2017
its confirmed that the top gasket of my Nissan pathfinder is bad but the car is not overheating. my mechanic wants me to change not only the gasket but also the radiator to a double cell to avoid a re occurrence.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by honmusa(m): 8:49am On May 04, 2017
SELKAY:
its confirmed that the top gasket of my Nissan pathfinder is bad but the car is not overheating. my mechanic wants me to change not only the gasket but also the radiator to a double cell to avoid a re occurrence.
why is it hard to take your car to professional that will charge you a considerable fee but will do the right thing instead of using kazeem that will take 1k from you but will eventually destroy your car for you .
if you have a bad head gasket something is causing it ,look for the root of the issue instead replacing with double cell radiator that is not the factory recommended for your car.
Instead of your kazeem to admit to you that he lack the expertise to troubleshoot the issue for you but prefer to waste money on part that is not needed and you agree to go ahead with the deal .
I will advice that you save the money you want to use to buy double cell radiator to pay a professional that will help to troubleshoot the issue destroying the head Gasket cos there is no point replacing it if the hidden issue has not be fished out and resolved.

2 Likes

Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by erico2k2(m): 12:09pm On May 04, 2017
honmusa:

why is it hard to take your car to professional that will charge you a considerable fee but will do the right thing instead of using kazeem that will take 1k from you but will eventually destroy your car for you .
if you have a bad head gasket something is causing it ,look for the root of the issue instead replacing with double cell radiator that is not the factory recommended for your car.
Instead of your kazeem to admit to you that he lack the expertise to troubleshoot the issue for you but prefer to waste money on part that is not needed and you agree to go ahead with the deal .
I will advice that you save the money you want to use to buy double cell radiator to pay a professional that will help to troubleshoot the issue destroying the head Gasket cos there is no point replacing it if the hidden issue has not be fished out and resolved.
I realy hope he heed to your advice
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by emvuatt: 6:41am On Apr 18, 2019
My corrola rings was changed but it not overheating but once I put on the Ac it start increasing what should I do.? Mechanic said I should change to double cell radiator
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:36am On Apr 18, 2019
emvuatt:
My corrola rings was changed but it not overheating but once I put on the Ac it start increasing what should I do.? Mechanic said I should change to double cell radiator

Bro, when I hear about thermostats being removed, and the much fabled "double cell" radiator being fitted, I get pretty annoyed. And to be honest, you guys feed these phoney "mechanics" with the ammunition with which to fleece you. A coolant reduction means a leak -

Exterenally:

01) Radiator.
02) Associated hoses.
03) Thermostat housing.
04) Engine block (core plugs).
05) Cylinder head (core plugs).
06) Water pump.
07) Heater core (behind dash).

Internally:

01) Cracked cylinder head.
02) Cracked cylinder block.
03) Warped cylinder head.
04) Blown cylinder head gasket.

I wonder how replacing the factory radiator with a "double cell" unit, and removing the thermostat will solve coolant loss? You're simply throwing money at your car, via your mechanic, who's just going by trial and error, replacing parts randomly, AT YOUR COST. If I were you, I would bite the bullet, and take your car to A REPUTABLE GARAGE. Sure, they'll cost, but at least you stand a chance of getting your car fixed.

As it stands, you might as well pour your money into a blast furnace, and watch it BURN.
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Obikco(m): 6:05pm On Feb 15, 2022

Bro, when I hear about thermostats being removed, and the much fabled "double cell" radiator being fitted, I get pretty annoyed. And to be honest, you guys feed these phoney "mechanics" with the ammunition with which to fleece you. A coolant reduction means a leak -

Exterenally:

01) Radiator.
02) Associated hoses.
03) Thermostat housing.
04) Engine block (core plugs).
05) Cylinder head (core plugs).
06) Water pump.
07) Heater core (behind dash).

Internally:

01) Cracked cylinder head.
02) Cracked cylinder block.
03) Warped cylinder head.
04) Blown cylinder head gasket.

I wonder how replacing the factory radiator with a "double cell" unit, and removing the thermostat will solve coolant loss? You're simply throwing money at your car, via your mechanic, who's just going by trial and error, replacing parts randomly, AT YOUR COST. If I were you, I would bite the bullet, and take your car to A REPUTABLE HONDA GARAGE. Sure, they'll cost, but at least you stand a chance of getting your car fixed.

As it stands, you might as well pour your money into a blast furnace, and watch it BURN.
I have same issue with my Honda.. there's always water dropping down underneath the vehicle whenever I fill the radiator..
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by Obikco(m): 6:08pm On Feb 15, 2022
Obikco:

I have same issue with my Honda.. there's always water dropping down underneath the vehicle whenever I fill the radiator..
,and when I switch on the AC,the vehicle bonnet starts vibrating...then followed by temperature rise.please I need help
Re: Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell by 2special(m): 4:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Obikco:
,and when I switch on the AC,the vehicle bonnet starts vibrating...then followed by temperature rise.please I need help
The only help here is to drive your car to a mechanic workshop that can scan the whole engine and tell you what actually is wrong with your car.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Policeman Dies On Third-mainland- Bridge Okada Crash / The Most Common Car On Nigerian Roads? / Can A Peugeot 307 Work As An Uber Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.