Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog (7450 Views)

El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / APC Will Know I’m An Attack Dog –adamu Mu’azu / Doyin Okupe Blasts Buhari Again On Twitter – Nigerians Fires Back – Read Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Slyr0x: 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
A recently appointed presidential aide said he prefers a bullish ‘Attack Lion’ pet title to the bearish ‘Attack Dog’ critics call him.

The Senior Special Adviser to the President on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, on Monday rejected the tag of an “attack dog,” for the Presidency.

Mr. Okupe, who appeared on an interview programme on the Africa Independent television (AIT), said his job for the presidency was to engage the public on discussions around the achievement of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

He said those calling him an attack dog where not fair to him considering his (physical) size and past achievements.

“They should even call me an ‘attack lion,” Mr. Okupe said.
grin

The light remark by Mr. Okupe caused the interviewer, Gbenga Aruleba, to say that there were some dogs that could be so fierce and large like a lion. A remark the presidential aide rejected, seemingly preferring the title, ‘Attack Lion’, when he said no dog could be fierce or large enough to confront a lion.

The Ogun State politician also gave an indication of what to expect from his office. He said his office and his team would respond to any public criticism (by public commentators) against Mr. Jonathan and his policies.

Mr. Okupe also used the interview to explain President Jonathan’s reluctance to use maximum force on the Boko Haram

No maximum force on Boko Haram

The presidential aide said those accusing Mr. Jonathan of inaction, on the insecurity pervading the country, were not fair on the President.

“It is wrong to say the President has not been able to tackle the security problem,” Mr. Okupe said.

The Ogun state politician said the Federal Government could not use force on the Islamist group because it wanted to avoid civilian casualties.

“The Nigerian army can in one month wipe out the Boko Haram, but the collateral damage will be unbearable,” he said.

He said that the government was already achieving some success against the terrorist group.

“Three people (Boko Haram members) have been declared terrorists (by the U.S.). One is dead (killed), one is under the armpits of security forces, and another is on the run,” Mr. Okupe said. “That is a remarkable achievement.”

Mr. Okupe compared the difficulty in tackling the Boko Haram menace in Nigeria to what the British government faced with the Irish Republican Army saying “for 28years, the British Government could not stop it (IRA). When terrorism is internal, it is hard.”

Three categories of Boko Haram

Mr. Okupe also said there were three categories of Boko Haram operating in the country. He listed them as the religious Boko Haram, the criminal one, and the political Boko Haram.

Nasir El-Rufai, an opposition figure and leader of the Congress for Progressive Change had also listed the same categories of Boko Haram in an interview with PREMIUM TIMES.

The two me however disagreed on the sponsors of the political Boko Haram. While Mr. El-Rufai alleges that they are sponsored by the Federal Government in order to split the country along ethnic lines and for other reasons, Mr. Okupe insinuated that they were being sponsored by the opposition.

Though he refused to mention names, Mr. Okupe said that the fact that the violence went out of proportion after the 2011 presidential elections was a sign that the opposition were behind the political sect.

He said that the Federal Government was going to dialogue with perceived political sponsors of the terrorist group because it had no hard evidence with which to link them to the group’s sponsorship.

“When we have weakened the apparatus of the insurgency, you now call for dialogue,” Mr. Okupe added.

Muslims harbour Boko Haram

Mr. Okupe also said that gathering intelligence on the Boko Haram group was difficult as they were getting help from some Muslims.

“Sincere and pious Muslims believe it is against their religion to report these terrorists,” he said while explaining that the security forces were improving on their intelligence gathering efforts.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/96334-call-me-an-attack-lion-not-dog-doyin-okupe-begs-critics.html
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by DICKtator: 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
I never understood the meaning of Voltron. Not until I read this!!!.
Man must wack!!!
U think it is easy to become a presidential aide?
I can swear that if he is told to roar like a lion on national T.V.,he would!!!!
grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sir Werey,you need to be locked up in Ibadan zoo.

1 Like

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by stepo707: 2:30pm On Aug 13, 2012
Whatever man.
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by comechop(m): 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
what the f? why peeps gotta be so [size=16pt]waaaack?!![/size]
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by doctokwus: 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
With all d security forces& intelligence gathering machine& numerous security advisers @its disposal,it took an 'opposition' leader to categorize d 3 classes of BH,whc Okupe has acknowledged.I guess d opposition shd b consulted more on how to sort out d numerous tasks d govt seems unable to confront

2 Likes

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by lacasa: 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
Wen people kiss a.s.s ϯo eat grin

2 Likes

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Siga: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Sir Werey,you need to be locked up in Ibadan zoo.
...lol grin grin grin grin U bad gan ooo....nice comment my guy...nice one..lol...BTW....do we still have a functioning zoo in Nigeria?
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by superior1: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
Dont mind the Attack Lion chicken, belle matter na serious matter grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2012
Snoop Lion >>>> Okupe Lion

1 Like

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Soocool1(m): 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2012
ok, you are an attack lion. Who will be the defend,midfield & goalkeeping lion?

1 Like

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Series22(m): 2:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
I luv dis man.. I wish i were gay. Na only okukpe i for open 4. Fire on Mr LION
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by fittty(m): 2:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
?
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Biggyd2: 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2012
What does Naija Chihuahua mean by the statement below:

“Sincere and pious Muslims believe it is against their religion to report these terrorists,” he said while explaining that the security forces were improving on their intelligence gathering efforts.
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by alaoeri: 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2012
Wetin man no go do to survive grin but on a more serious note
*Mr. Okupe also said there were three categories of Boko Haram operating in the country. He listed them as the religious Boko Haram, the criminal one, and the political Boko Haram.

Nasir El-Rufai, an opposition figure and leader of the Congress for Progressive Change had also listed the same categories of Boko Haram in an interview with PREMIUM TIMES*
Saying thesame thing from different sides but when el rufai said his nobody reckon with him.
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by plendil: 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2012
so?
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by oshyno(m): 2:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
I watched d AIT interview and believe u me apart frm d mannerism 'u know u know ' ,he surely got his acts right.He explains with statistics n asks Thomases to go verify.Dis man will sure provide d missing link between d populace n d Govt as it partains govt programs n achievemens.

4 Likes

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by muktarmtt(m): 2:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
doctokwus: With all d security forces& intelligence gathering machine& numerous security advisers @its disposal,it took an 'opposition' leader to categorize d 3 classes of BH,whc Okupe has acknowledged.I guess d opposition shd b consulted more on how to sort out d numerous tasks d govt seems unable to confront
I feel u doctokwus so opposition cn provide d usefull abt boko haram more pass den our goverment wat shame dat show d opposition can taclk d issue if dey on power.
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by duality(m): 2:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
say what you like; he is doing his job. and probably doing it very well. if i were the president, i'll hire more competent Okupes.

many here will KILL to get his Job.
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by ajf(m): 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
Attack lion ko snoop lion ni!! Idiota!!
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by KINGwax(m): 3:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Demdem(m): 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
na lie, na doggy fit u. Lions dont prostitute themselves anyhow unlike dogs.

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Shaw007(m): 3:06pm On Aug 13, 2012

No maximum force on Boko Haram

“It is wrong to say the President has not been able to tackle the security problem,”
PLS WHAT IS WROng about it,has he really tackled it??

Federal Government could not use force on the Islamist“The Nigerian army can in one month wipe out the Boko Haram
so we should fold our arms till we all get killed,so that there wont be any more casualties available
but the collateral damage will be unbearable
which collateral damage?? The hundreds of ppl that av been killed already or what,i'm sure if they had done this 2yrs ago,the 'collateral damage wont be as much as what those terrorists av done already

“Three people (Boko Haram members) have been declared terrorists (by the U.S.). One is dead (killed), one is under the armpits of security forces, and another is on the run,” Mr. Okupe said. “That is a remarkable achievement
what he does not know is,if u want2 destroy these ppl,u annahilate them completely,u cannot come and chop of one head and hope its over,cut one or 2 heads and 10 will grow in its place
While Mr. El-Rufai alleges that they are sponsored by the Federal Government in order to split the country along ethnic lines and for other reasons
once again i'm sayin this,el-rufai is mad,and i'm sure he's one of d bh sponsors,why would the government try 2 destroy itself by sponsoring destroyers?? Fool
Mr. Okupe insinuated that they were being sponsored by the opposition
very true
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by dedeike: 3:06pm On Aug 13, 2012
oshyno: I watched d AIT interview and believe u me apart frm d mannerism 'u know u know ' ,he surely got his acts right.He explains with statistics n asks Thomases to go verify.Dis man will sure provide d missing link between d populace n d Govt as it partains govt programs n achievemens.

Yeah. I watched the interview too but couldn't finish it due to the pressure of work. But from the bit I watched, he comes across as the needed link between govt and the destructive opposition led by El Rufai. You know there is a whole world of difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism. When someone, who is labouring under malice and vengeance for the political defeat he suffered to another, decides to paint his victorious opponent black on all scores. It is called destructive criticism.

On the flip side, constructive criticism is where someone sets out to acknowledge progress where necessary and puncture holes in govt activities when necessary.i.e a constructive critic will admit that power has significantly improved but will proceed further to call the attention of govt to address distribution and transmission concerns so that this new improvement will be felt by all.
This latter variant of criticism is key to development.

4 Likes

Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2012
yawnz at boring article
Re: Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog by dayokanu(m): 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
With Doyin Okupes antecedents in this country, I dont think anyone takes him serious not even goats

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gabon Evicts 215 Nigerian Fishermen / Nigeria; Where All Animals Are Never Equal. / Igbos, Please Leave The Niger Delta Alone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.