Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians (7935 Views)

Does This Happen In Your Place Of Work Too? / Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World / Nigerian Oil Expatriates Highest Paid In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by mukina2: 9:57am On Aug 14, 2012
In a bid to free up job spaces taken up by foreigners for Nigerians, the Ministry of Interior on Monday commenced a reformation of the 1963 Nigerian Immigration Act which prohibits an employer from employing foreigners provided there is a suitable Nigerian for the job.

The reform is expected to fortify the Expatriate Quota Act and also put in place a proper administrator which will monitor compliance to the Act.

The Minister of Interior, Mr Abba Moro, made this known while he delivered the keynote address titled, ‘Expatriate Quota Administration in Nigeria: Challenges and Prospects’, at the opening of workshop on expatriate quota in Lagos on Monday.

Admitting abuse of various immigration laws such as trading and non-utilisation of EQPs, foreign exchange leaching, forgery and fake EQPs and other documents, warehousing of files, non-compliance with understudy policy to ensure transfer of technology etc, the Minister stated that “they are obviously very worrisome”.

According to him, the ministry had resorted to automation to improve functionality and service delivery of the Ministry’s Citizenship and Business Department.

He said the guiding principles of the extant expatriate quota administration were still the Indigenisation laws which had been repealed by the NIPC Act of 1990 in line with global trends.

The Minister also noted that the advent of globalisation, movement of human and material resources in the age of knowledge economy has made the exchange of skills and knowledge undeniable.

He acknowledged that Nigeria does need foreign migrants with necessary skills in certain sectors to fast-track her economic development.

He urged the workshop to dwell on the need to articulate a compact between the Ministry of Interior and all relevant stakeholders on expatriate quota administration in the country, stating “the compact, if developed and approved, will be the building blocks and provide touchstones for consideration in all our ministerial approvals of quota facilities granted by the ministry.”

On the virtues of spontaneity, convenience and timeliness of the new visa regime recently approved by the federal government, the Minister affirmed that the visa will not compromise overall security and economic consideration of the country.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/08/14/fg-to-check-hiring-of-expatriates-in-place-of-nigerians/
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by amdy08: 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
grin
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by amdy08: 2:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Thats a very good move long overdue by FG .it will generate employment and encourage and promote local content.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
Easier said than done!
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
This news is OLD . . . YEARS OLD . . . What we want to hear is that FG is already doing this.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by 1800bc(f): 2:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
Good thinking....it is way overdue!
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Tstark(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
FG talking the talk and NOT walking the walk as usual *yawns and leaves*

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by aryzgreat: 3:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Long overdue, especially in telecom industry, HUAWEI to be precise!, the chinese guys troupe into naija in droves, use our infrastructure to train their people and send them to other west africa con3. most of them are school cert but they are made boss to naija graduates even when u cant understand their poor english. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by brightmon: 3:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Another Committee. Pls i need a job in one of this Committee.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by upnaijaDRN: 3:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
Nice from beginning
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Navalsadiq(m): 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
Effective action is what is needed.

1 Like

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by miteolu(m): 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
Good move to destruction

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Benito69(m): 3:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
no jobs in their home country, now they are coming over to take the one's in Nigeria...crooks.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by KINGwax(m): 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
amdy08: Thats a very good move long overdue by FG .it will generate employment and encourage and promote local content.
i don't biliv we still got simple minds in nigeria o. There's a saying in yorubaland, 'all the worshiping of a cat it to steal fried fish'.
If u are currently a foreigner currently working big in nigeria, what will u be thinking now? It's simple, 'lemme see this man wit some package and book a space'! The pot-bellied minister only needs some dough jö
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by adorebee(f): 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Why does Nigeria like running before crawling?We are still paying for gaining independence before we were due for it,unlike our South Africa and Ghana counterparts.Bite me but I would say the truth-THERE are SOME OF THESE POSITION that should be left for them alone @ for some time so that we can learn .Afterall they invented it in the first place.Even with their expertise,we still ve hiccups in some certain areas,I wonder what would happen when we completely take over.
We should also not forget that their government might retaliate.That means no job for those in diaspora

1 Like

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Seun(m): 3:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
People should be hired based on merit. Millions of Nigerian customers should not be punished to provide jobs for a few employees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Why does Nigeria like running before crawling?We are still paying for gaining independence before we were due for it,unlike our South Africa and Ghana counterparts.Bite me but I would say the truth-THERE are SOME OF THESE POSITION that should be left for them alone @ for some time so that we can learn .Afterall they invented it in the first place.Even with their expertise,we still ve hiccups in some certain areas,I wonder what would happen when we completely take over.
We should also not forget that their government might retaliate.That means no job for those in diaspora

^^^^

RUBBISH!
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
F.G SHOULD CHECK THE GAPING DISPARITY IN WAGES FOR THE SAME WORK DONE WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF RISK AND EXPERTISE. BRISTOW HELICOPTERS IS PARTICULARLY GUILTY OF THIS SUBTLE FORM OF RACISM.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Protectionist policies harm the majority for the benefit of a privileged few. For example, the cement import ban made Dangote Cement investors rich, at the expense of increased housing costs for every one else, rich or poor. That's not democratic.

Moreso protectionist laws are not sustainable in an increasingly interconnected world. What will the millions of Nigerians who work abroad and send money home do if their host countries retaliate with similar laws? It's as if we want to eat our cake and have it.

I don't care whether you're Nigerian or Indian, as long as you do your job well, serving Nigerians well with your skills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by martin123: 3:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
These Foreigners are very many in the oil and gas sectors. You will find them in IESL, GLOBESTAR 7, CRESTECH e t c

1 Like

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Fiawest(m): 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
Wonder y 9ja is just realising dis,b4 I got a job hence work permit here,man suffer well well,they made sure d positin cnt be taken my locals,it everywhere,US,UK even SA.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by mkmyers45(m): 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
So? This is old news that the government have been drumming for a long time but is it actually going to be put in place or is it just talk?
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by floridam(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
I think all what our ministers are good for is just talking and talking.
This na another talk again just for talking sake.
When have they ever said something and implemented it?
Check out all the factories in Ogun state, na Indians full am.
There is no future position for Nigerians in these companies as some positions are always reserved for Indians .
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by ayasammygmail(f): 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
floridam: I think all what our ministers are good for is just talking and talking.
This na another talk again just for talking sake.
When have they ever said something and implemented it?
Check out all the factories in Ogun state, na Indians full am.
There is no future position for Nigerians in these companies as some positions are always reserved for Indians .

Na today, the indians are not just there, probably they know how to do Business here, money changing hands, they dont only take our place, they abuse there workers, especially those chinkos.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by adorebee(f): 4:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
adorebee: Why does Nigeria like running before crawling?We are still paying for gaining independence before we were due for it,unlike our South Africa and Ghana counterparts.Bite me but I would say the truth-THERE are SOME OF THESE POSITION that should be left for them alone @ for some time so that we can learn .Afterall they invented it in the first place.Even with their expertise,we still ve hiccups in some certain areas,I wonder what would happen when we completely take over.
ikeyman00:

^^^^

RUBBISH!
That's my opinion,yours is welcomed
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
aryzgreat: Long overdue, especially in telecom industry, HUAWEI to be precise!, the chinese guys troupe into naija in droves, use our infrastructure to train their people and send them to other west africa con3. most of them are school cert but they are made boss to naija graduates even when u cant understand their poor english. angry angry angry

Not only telecoms ooo, was in Nigeria recently for an interview at a firm in Ikeja. The moment I entered the office, I thought I was in Europe. Was eventually interviewed by an American and a dutch guy who couldn't even speak proper English. The only Nigerians I saw on that day were the front desk officer and another lady serving tea/coffee. Very strange....would be very nice if we could give them thr kind of treatment they give to foreigners in their countries. Action is what we need, not words.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
While it is commendable that they are trying to reduce the expatriate quota abuse, i am amazed that a lot of people are saying this will create more jobs. How many if i may ask? How many of you are qualified to take up those jobs. Okay, so they free up a couple hundred expatriate jobs, how has that suddenly helped the millions who still need jobs. It is a good move and should be applauded but please stop blaming the unemployment in the country on expatriates.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
A-town:
While it is commendable that they are trying to reduce the expatriate quota abuse, i am amazed that a lot of people are saying this will create more jobs. How many if i may ask? How many of you are qualified to take up those jobs. Okay, so they free up a couple hundred expatriate jobs, how has that suddenly helped the millions who still need jobs. It is a good move and should be applauded but please stop blaming the unemployment in the country on expatriates.

I think some of this jobs run into hundreds of thousands. Majority of this jobs can be done by Nigerian workers and Engineers not some Lebanese and India workers with GCSEs.
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by adorebee(f): 5:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
Fiawest: Wonder y 9ja is just realising dis,b4 I got a job hence work permit here,man suffer well well,they made sure d positin cnt be taken my locals,it everywhere,US,UK even SA.
Sorry about that D̶̲̥̅̊έA̶̲̥̅̊я but that method cant work in Nigeria.Those companies are owned by SA,UK and America.Nigeria is not yet ripe for such moves because,forrigners actually brought most of these companies to Nigeria
KINGwax: i don't biliv we still got simple minds in nigeria o. There's a saying in yorubaland, 'all the worshiping of a cat it to steal fried fish'.
If u are currently a foreigner currently working big in nigeria, what will u be thinking now? It's simple, 'lemme see this man wit some package and book a space'! The pot-bellied minister only needs some dough jö
^^^,thank you my brother
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by seyigiggle: 5:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
i think this topic is only for those who have had the experience to this matter.

well, it is late but never too late for the fg to realsie this very important problem we nigerian are facing with this foreigners.

to me the importance of an expertraite is for we nigerian who are previllege to work with them access their wealth of knowledge in order to improve our lives, but reverrse is the case.

many of this so called expertraites dont know any thing before granted working visa, they come here, learn here, exploit here, and take our wealth out to their country. they are only taking from us and not giving back to us.. what a shame?
that is why they call us fools or black monkey

the fg should act very fast on this issue in order to use this avenue to create jobs for our teaming population.

mind you, more than five million jobs can be created with the implementation of this policy. i stand to be corrected. look around you; every where you will find them even in our markets they have shops and have forced some of our businessmen to fold up.

permit me to stop here
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by seyigiggle: 5:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
i think this topic is only for those who have had the experience to this matter.

well, it is late but never too late for the fg to realsie this very important problem we nigerian are facing with this foreigners.

to me the importance of an expertraite is for we nigerian who are previllege to work with them access their wealth of knowledge in order to improve our lives, but reverrse is the case.

many of this so called expertraites dont know any thing before granted working visa, they come here, learn here, exploit here, and take our wealth out to their country. they are only taking from us and not giving back to us.. what a shame?
that is why they call us fools or black monkey

the fg should act very fast on this issue in order to use this avenue to create jobs for our teaming population.

mind you, more than five million jobs can be created with the implementation of this policy. i stand to be corrected. look around you; every where you will find them even in our markets they have shops and have forced some of our businessmen to fold up.

permit me to stop here
Re: FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians by dbchoke: 6:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Talk about cutting down expats in Nigeria is usually limited to the oil sector. I hope that won't be the case this time (assuming the Minister is actually serious). The telecoms and construction sectors should be looked into as well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? / Job Opportunities For Information Science Graduate: Urgent Reply Pls / Interested In Moderating This Section?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.