Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World (15796 Views)

Nigeria’s Highest Paid CEOs / Highest Paid Jobs In Nigeria Apart From The Oil Industry. / FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Anurugwo(m): 3:06am On Mar 20, 2012
Research released revealed that a typical oil and gas executive in Nigeria earns nearly half a million dollars a year, chalking up the biggest premium for working abroad over salary levels in Britain.

A study by the Curzon Partnership recruitment consultants also showed that a typical senior oil and gas employee in Nigeria will receive a supplementary country premium worth 45 percent of base pay, taking the total salary to $454,400 a year...

Something has to been done.Our education sector needs to be revisited, starting from the primary to the tertiary level.If we have quality graduates who can fill in these gaps, this huge amount of money and job opportunities to expatriates will be cut to the barest minimum...http://hotnaijanews.com/2012/03/20/oil-expatriates-in-nigeria-are-the-highest-paid-in-the-world/
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by obowunmi(m): 3:09am On Mar 20, 2012
So true. One of my ex-girlfriends father who has NEVER lived in the U.S. is building a house from scratch in Texas and Atlanta ---- for what ? He works for Chevron and Agip....... quite sad if you ask me. But if money talks, more often bullshit walks.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by KayDee4: 3:14am On Mar 20, 2012
obowunmi: So true. One of my ex-girlfriends father who has NEVER lived in the U.S. is building a house from scratch in Texas and Atlanta ---- for what ? He works for Chevron and Agip....... [b]quite sad [/b]if you ask me. But if money talks, more often bullshit walks.

abeg, what is sad about it ?
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by obowunmi(m): 3:19am On Mar 20, 2012
Even Americans don't build their homes from scratch. More interesting than sad.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by 27naira(m): 5:00pm On Mar 20, 2012
definitely not Nigeria.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Okijajuju1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 20, 2012
Kay-Dee:

abeg, what is sad about it ?

Kay dizzle!!

Abeg ask am for me o!!

Whats sad about it!!?!

Instead of stressing that we should start giving these jobs to locals rather than expatriates he is yarning opata!!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by ndcide(m): 5:50pm On Mar 20, 2012
its really amazing some graduate earn 10- 15k per month and some others earn 1 million per moembarassed.nth in Nigeria SMH embarassed cry[size=12pt][/size]
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by okpurukata(f): 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2012
It is due to the insecurity in Nigeria. But I do not think the pay is highest in Nigeria. I am aware that Angola and Ghana also pay well. Oil job is it any day.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Klop: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2012
Pls b4 we accuse, judge and sentence these oil workers, we must all identify that these people work in a very harzardous enviroment, infact u can call it a time bomb, as the case maybe. so feel free to apply. but remember.....OIL RIG AND SWEAT.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Henry40: 6:26pm On Mar 20, 2012
ndcide: its really amazing some graduate earn 10- 15k per month and some others earn 1 million per moembarassed.nth in Nigeria SMH embarassed cry[size=12pt][/size]

So what's amazing about it? Instead of agreeing with what the poster's saying and kicking for reforms in education you're typing this.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Pakavy(m): 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2012
27naira: definitely not Nigeria.
says who?!c how those oyibo pepper dey live large!!!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Bawss1(m): 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2012
Another sensationalist thread.

The so called study didn't tell which countries data was collated from and which period was considered.

But as usual folks will get their bloods heated up because the title of this thread mentions Nigeria as the top of something.

*yawn*

1 Like

Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Sike(m): 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2012
Stale.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Pakavy(m): 6:54pm On Mar 20, 2012
Klop: Pls b4 we accuse, judge and sentence these oil workers, we must all identify that these people work in a very harzardous enviroment, infact u can call it a time bomb, as the case maybe. so feel free to apply. but remember.....OIL RIG AND SWEAT.
my naija bros actualy OIL RIG AND SWEAT while d white boys supervise.is a case of monkey dey work babbon dey chop.u tink if is in american dey for neva start one "awakening"?!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Ibangap(m): 6:54pm On Mar 20, 2012
Klop: Pls b4 we accuse, judge and sentence these oil workers, we must all identify that these people work in a very harzardous enviroment, infact u can call it a time bomb, as the case maybe. so feel free to apply. but remember.....OIL RIG AND SWEAT.
pls, where is this time bomb factory? I would love to apply.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by ndcide(m): 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2012
Henry40:

So what's amazing about it? Instead of agreeing with what the poster's saying and kicking for reforms in education you're typing this.

bros,please don't have this narrow minded believe that we don't have qualified nigerians to fill these positions occupied by foreigners. i know our educational system needs a total overhaul,but trust me, I've seen these white guys work and what they do is not what any Nigerian graduate who is serious with life can't do. look, until Nigerians are made to run these these things we will keep being second class to the so call experts. i can name several oil and gas/ engineering graduates from the UK, Netherlands and even Germany. becoming sales reps and PA to big men here in Nigeria; simply because they where not absorbed into the system.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2012
its mend, kidnapper, killer policeman, bad road , third word, all round craziness allowance. you need to pay people big money to set down in a country that is on all sorts of warning notices
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by mrkels(m): 7:48pm On Mar 20, 2012
SAD AND STUPID...NIGERIANS ARE WICKED AND USELESS...WORK WITH THEM FIRST , THEY SEE US AS SLAVES IN OUR OWN COUNTRY...NA GOD GO PUNISH OUR LEADERS WEN MAKE US TURN TO SECOND CLASS CITIZENS IN OUR OWN COUNTRY.FOOLS...E NO GO BETTER FOR UNA AND UNA CHILDREN GO WASTE UNA MONEY AND BECOME USELESS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC...YOU CANT CHEAT NATURE.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Demainman1: 8:06pm On Mar 20, 2012
At least they are working for the money in a mostly dangerous and insecure terrains. How much does our senator and leaders in general earn by sitting on their fat assess and doing absolutely f-u-c-k-all

1 Like

Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Zechy09: 8:25pm On Mar 20, 2012
Useless story from a useless source. >: grin..... I work in the oil sector and can say authoritatively that people earn twice or thrice working in middle east and some other African countries than Naija. These days I wonder why people believe anything without thinking if it makes sense. Eg can u pay someone working in Iraq same as Lagos?
We need to start thinking before venting our anger on anyone.

1 Like

Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 20, 2012
Zechy09: Useless story from a useless source. >: grin..... I work in the oil sector and can say authoritatively that people earn twice or thrice working in middle east and some other African countries than Naija. These days I wonder why people believe anything without thinking if it makes sense. Eg can u pay someone working in Iraq same as Lagos?

which kind work? mail man?
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Zechy09: 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2012
diluminati:

which kind work? mail man?

I clean their offices and remove garbage from the premises... >: cheesy
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by mufc009(m): 9:04pm On Mar 20, 2012
Zechy09:

Are they paying you in dollars?
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by fornnygee(m): 9:31pm On Mar 20, 2012
@ Zechy09 I dont think your completely correct, make your finding, Nigeria rating is much higher than any other country in the world presently,reason been that in Irag they have personal security at work sites and residence but in Nigeria there is no such thing in the oil fields. Secondly most vendor companies will not send their expert personel because of the security situation as adviced by their country embasies, so the higher pay is as a result of the security element.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by eklassical(m): 9:41pm On Mar 20, 2012
Zechy09:

lol
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by eklassical(m): 9:46pm On Mar 20, 2012
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by infolpf: 10:11pm On Mar 20, 2012
Has nothing to do with corruption. Quite simply, nigeria is considered a "hardship posting" for most multi-nationals. (Why? Come to Nigeria and look around grin) As such, anyone posted to such a country gets significantly more benefits than others. Some people look forward to such postings, even if for a short period, others flee from them and forego the $$.

In addition, most companies have contracts that obligate them to pay a share of profits to employees, usually as end of fiscal year bonuses. Oil companies specifically have such contracts. Remember the news reports from 2010/2011 about the janitors in Venezuelan Oil companies getting fat bonus cheques?

Get off the conspiracy theory, guys.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by agitator: 7:54am On Mar 21, 2012
Nigerians do the jobs while the expatriates enjoy the pay. The oil service companies bring in administrators, supervisors, foremen and they earn more than Nigerian engineers graduates.

Most of the expatriates don't do anything fantastic, except that they are sincere and dedicated to the job. There are expats who can't even understand engineering drawings. The Nigerians do the job while the expats supervise them to make sure the job gets done.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Akainzo(m): 8:15am On Mar 21, 2012
Zechy09: Useless story from a useless source. >: grin..... I work in the oil sector and can say authoritatively that people earn twice or thrice working in middle east and some other African countries than Naija. These days I wonder why people believe anything without thinking if it makes sense. Eg can u pay someone working in Iraq same as Lagos?

You are definitely not being truthful or you are ignorant of the facts! Nigeria currently ranks higher than Iraq on the security index and thus expatriates earn far more in Nigeria than anywhere else.
That you see most Nigerians rushing to teh Middle East and getting paid fat salaries should not make you think the ME is higher, it just shows that for a Nigerian, going to the ME is higher. However, when you take an expatriate from UK, US, France or Japan going to work in the ME or Nigeria, and compare their paychecks, then you would realise that Nigeria does indeed pay expatriates higher than anyhwere else.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by I2likewoman: 8:53am On Mar 21, 2012
Why the big fuss about the pay,as long as we continue to depend on the technology from the west they will continue to dominate and let us not forget that it is pretty risky Working in Nigeria with all this militant activity tongue
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 21, 2012

IF you say you work in an oil company and your r saying this then u dont know jack....what the OP said is the truth, I have a lot of co-workers( expatriates- and are just technicians and junior engineers ) who earn b/w 1500 to 2000 dollars per day, there is no where in the world that expt earn more than the citizen except in Angola and Nigeria, and Nigeria is the worse.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary / What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? / Inflation: Why Are Salary Earners The Hardest Hit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.