Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? (11001 Views)

Senators Push Back Against Saraki’s Intrigues, Use Of Senate To Fight,. / Igboukwu - Igboland: Beautiful Rooftops But Decayed Interior. / Patrice Lumumba:a True African Hero Of Pan-africanism(2 July 1925 – 17 Jan 1961) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
It's really irritating to look at.

I think it's about time to start outlawing it on home/building constructions.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by MacLovington(m): 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ileke, are you going to give people money to replace those zinc roofing sheets all over Ibadan?

People can even build a house to live in and you're not happy. You want us to turn to Texas overnight, bah?

Na step by step o my dear, we'll get there one day. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
MacLovington: .

Ileke, are you going to give people money to replace those zinc roofing sheets all over Ibadan?

People can even build a house to live in and you're not happy. You want us to turn to Texas overnight, bah?

Na step by step o my dear, we'll get there one day. Amen.

Last time I checked, zinc sheet rooftops were all over Nigeria, so try again.

What's Texas got to do with this? I'm not even in texas homie, checking again, my profile said "Ekiti".

We'll get there, but we've been getting there for 40 years now. I think people are still building new homes with these irritating rooftops.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=40pt]YES[/size]

Nigeria looks poorer than it is because of the cheapness in our culture that drives us to build with these things. The government should ban them and over a cost effective alternative for the poor. in the US they're using common tar and paper to make longer lasting roofs than nigerian tin ones.

it's a legacy of colonialism, the british started it do that we will buy their scrap tin and sheet metal en mass
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by PhysicsQED(m): 11:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ikengawo: [size=40pt]YES[/size]

Nigeria looks poorer than it is because of the cheapness in our culture that drives us to build with these things. The government should ban them and over a cost effective alternative for the poor. in the US they're using common tar and paper to make longer lasting roofs than nigerian tin ones.

it's a legacy of colonialism, the british started it do that we will buy their scrap tin and sheet metal en mass

Can you elaborate on the parts in bold?

Anyway, even though I also dislike those roofs, I understand that it's an issue of keeping down costs.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Euroclydon(m): 11:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
No..lets use cardboard paper...its better.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by yeye4live(m): 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
I tink woven craft n clay shud b introduce bak
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by mahel: 11:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
i bet u dnt own a house! do u knw d cost of biulding just a 2bedroom flat? Channel ur irritatn to d economic state of 9ja n dose incharge of it. Who dosnt love d stone-coated roofs we see al ova abj?

3 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by JustME7(m): 12:02am On Aug 16, 2012
People wants to minimize cash. I think its nobody's concern with what people use to roof their houses. If you think government should ban those zincs, do you also think that the government will increase the salary of those guys? Cut your clothes according to your size.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by mahel: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2012
Ikengawo: [size=40pt]YES[/size]

.... Tar and paper?? Do u put our weather n oda element into consideratn? U 4 suggest nylon n glue sef!!
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 16, 2012
mahel: .... Tar and paper?? Do u put our weather n oda element into consideratn? U 4 suggest nylon n glue sef!!

Abeg which weather? US states along the equator (like Nigeria) use the same tar rooftops.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ektbear: 12:09am On Aug 16, 2012
Makes no sense, unless it presents some sort of health/safety hazard.

Just because you don't find it fashionable doesn't mean it should be banned
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 16, 2012
Just-ME:
People wants to minimize cash. I think its nobody's concern with what people use to roof their houses. If you think government should ban those zincs, do you also think that the government will increase the salary of those guys? Cut your clothes according to your size.

LOL @ it being nobody's business. It's obvious that each Nigerian community does not have an organization that requires each neighborhood keep its environment clean.

The community is very much everybody's business.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Acidosis(m): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2012
Op, what do you reccommend?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Acidosis(m): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2012
Op, what do you reccommend? gold?
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

people who use metal roofs don't care if its irritating or not.afterall they don't live on the roofs.asbestos(not sure of the spelling) roofing isn't better cos it has health implications still yet its been used to roof most houses in nigeria.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by mahel: 12:33am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Abeg which weather? US states along the equator (like Nigeria) use the same tar rooftops.
. ... Bros do u know wat equator means? No U.S state cut across d equator! 9ja sef no fall in,9ja just dey close.. Just 13 countries cut tru d equator. So believe mi d weather matter.n y do u tink wood buildin is commmon in d states? We ve timber here 2 but we can't use em' cus of different factors..e.g WEATHER!

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by JustME7(m): 12:47am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

LOL @ it being nobody's business. It's obvious that each Nigerian community does not have an organization that requires each neighborhood keep its environment clean.

The community is very much everybody's business.
Do you live in nigeria? Do you know how much it costs to buy a land? Do you know how much it costs to build a house? Well, If you are the head of the government, I guess you're going to ban the use of those roofing sheets without considering how people strive.
When I want to erect a building, I'm not going to use those sheets. And I won't criticize those that use them. BTW, I don't think those roofing sheets make the environment to look untidy.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 1:00am On Aug 16, 2012
How does this affect the price of garri!!!!...Eh
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by dasparrow: 1:04am On Aug 16, 2012
@Post

Metal rooftops don't look good especially when they begin to rust. However, I don't know about a downright ban of the use of metal rooftops because that is all some people maybe able to afford to roof their homes you know.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by okunoba(m): 1:13am On Aug 16, 2012
Ban, Ban, Ban. A standard should be set.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 1:33am On Aug 16, 2012
mahel: .... Tar and paper?? Do u put our weather n oda element into consideratn? U 4 suggest nylon n glue sef!!

look at the typical american home compared to the typical nigerian one. I can tell you it's cheaper to build the home above then your average lower income working class nigerian one because the americans build smarter

An american home is made of plastic, paper, wood, what is essentially chalk and nails.
the entire thing. For novelty they'll use brick to make it have a particular look, but the bricks are small, palm sized and cheap unlike the nigerian bricks which are giant, expensive (for a brick) and damn near impossible to move around without straining yourself.

the american brick can fit in one hand.

And i dont know why nigeria uses such ridiculous bricks because you have to use more sand and less cement to produce several that are that size. and factories can't produce them cause they're hard to transport.

the same dumb building goes into nigerian roofs. The American roof is paper tar and sand. That's it. How can weather destroy sand? which sand in front of your house has been destroyed before? Use common sense

Nigerians build homes like they're preparing for a train to run through them. In all reality you don't need such a bulky reinforced home. What what? so that it can echo? boko haram?

This is an american roof. It can endure more weather then what nigeria has ever experienced. It can go through hail, rain, sleet, snow, thunder, extreme cold, extreme heat, hurricane, tornado, etc because america gets all of that weather.

You don't need ugly sheet metal roofs that are expensive anyways. Wht not build the same thing out of plastic? what has your roof endured that plastic won't tolerate? rain?

the japanese build homes out of paper and there's no weather they endure that we don't. Did our ancestors not build roofs out of grass?

3 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by yeye4live(m): 1:51am On Aug 16, 2012
2mch: Wtf Ileke how do you make front page so fast. Seun...just toast am.

rubish making front page dis days, na tissue paper u for use do roof na
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by ismhab(m): 1:59am On Aug 16, 2012
If you think u are rich, there are a lot of people that can not even afford to build a single room.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by babaowo: 3:25am On Aug 16, 2012
Just-ME:

Do you live in nigeria? Do you know how much it costs to buy a land? Do you know how much it costs to build a house? Well, If you are the head of the government, I guess you're going to ban the use of those roofing sheets without considering how people strive.
When I want to erect a building, I'm not going to use those sheets. And I won't criticize those that use them. BTW, I don't think those roofing sheets make the environment to look untidy.
.... point!
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by MacLovington(m): 3:42am On Aug 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Last time I checked, zinc sheet rooftops were all over Nigeria, so try again.

What's Texas got to do with this? I'm not even in texas homie, checking again, my profile said "Ekiti".

We'll get there, but we've been getting there for 40 years now. I think people are still building new homes with these irritating rooftops.

Well, Ibadan is a sprawling metropolis. Perhaps larger than most in West Africa. You will have your work cut out to replace those roofs!

Replace Texas with London, Bavaria, Cote d'Or, Brabant, California.

Ileke, have you ever built a house from scratch before? If you built one with stone roof maybe it's because you are rich. Not everyone is rich. And most build it from honest income.

Consider this example: A friend in Naija lost her husband some weeks ago. She phoned to tell us. We were worried here in diaspora how a civil servant was going to provide for 5 kids all by herself. But we were relieved to hear that they just moved into their own house last December. When we met last October, they were still tenants. Does it really matter to that family that their roof is zinc or stone? Most likely not. They have roof over their heads. Thank God.

Eat some proper Ekiti yam and chill.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 3:58am On Aug 16, 2012
Just-ME:

oboy it's not because of patriotism that you'll lie to yourself

this is a city in bhutan, which is several times poorer than nigeria

and this is Nigeria

We're building hideous cities. If our cities were clean and used modern ideas the people would respect it and themselves a lot more. When people enter a clean bathroom they clean up any mess they may have made, when the enter a dirty one they'll piss anyhow and go home.

Why do nigerians feel they're the only people alive that have to go through hardship. Is it cheap to buy a house anywhere? i'll tell you buying land and building a house is several times cheaper in Nigeria than in America. All these babalowos that come back from the US and build mansions, if you see the boxes they're living in and calling homes in the US you'll laugh, and this is with the same money. It's not cheap to build a home or buy one anywhere, but it's no excuse to keep rubbishing your country. If nigeria looked better people would behave better. Compare Onitsha street behavior to Abuja street behavior or Calabar street behavior to the was people act in Ibadan. Even look at the difference in people's behavior in Oshodi before and after the clean up.

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by joaoche(f): 4:04am On Aug 16, 2012
[size=14pt] poster pleass how many houses have you built?[/size]
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 4:07am On Aug 16, 2012
MacLovington:

Well, Ibadan is a sprawling metropolis. Perhaps larger than most in West Africa. You will have your work cut out to replace those roofs!

Replace Texas with London, Bavaria, Cote d'Or, Brabant, California.

Ileke, have you ever built a house from scratch before? If you built one with stone roof maybe it's because you are rich. Not everyone is rich. And most build it from honest income.

Consider this example: A friend in Naija lost her husband some weeks ago. She phoned to tell us. We were worried here in diaspora how a civil servant was going to provide for 5 kids all by herself. But we were relieved to hear that they just moved into their own house last December. When we met last October, they were still tenants. Does it really matter to that family that their roof is zinc or stone? Most likely not. They have roof over their heads. Thank God.

Eat some proper Ekiti yam and chill.

I ned to build a house to understand the issue behind how lowly developed this rooftop makes a nation looks?

Ahh okay.

As for others excusing it with "low expense", if you do not meet the expenses to build a more developed looking rooftop, then keep saving. Houses are nice investments, if you're not going to build it well the first time, don't bother building at all.

I guess in 50 years from now, we'd still be stuck in that colonial time.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Ikengawo: 4:09am On Aug 16, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Metal rooftops don't look good especially when they begin to rust. However, I don't know about a downright ban of the use of metal rooftops because that is all some people maybe able to afford to roof their homes you know.
If you can't afford to build a home don't build a home. It's that simple and it's unfortunate but that's the facts of life.
In Nigeria people that can't afford to build homes ties trash together in the middle of a pedestrian walk way and call it a home. that's insanity. Yes it's unfortunate for the poor but if you're poor you're poor, and you're going to have to find an alternative like renting an apartment.

here in the US most ppl can't afford to own a home. I feel it's not nigeria's fault though. People don't have access to loans in nigeria where in the US that's how 98% of ppl buy homes. The remaining 2% are over night billionaires, atheletes, stars and executives. Even doctors buy houses with loans here and they make several million naira annually.
Re: Should Nigeria Outlaw The Use Of Pan/Metal Rooftops? by Nobody: 4:10am On Aug 16, 2012
LOL . . . .

Nigeria should outlaw construct companies from using such zinc-whatever rooftops, but if the owners wants it by force, they should be given a time limit to replace their rooftops.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures From Senate's Nigeria@52 Dinner / Couple Convicted For Trying To Smuggle Nigerian Baby / I Have No Hands In PDP Crisis – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.