Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,310 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick (5383 Views)

What Is Ur Opinion On Males Chewing Gum / Cwa: Chewing With Attitude- Nigerian Women What's Up With That? / Gap Tooth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by YATAYOTO: 8:17am On Aug 16, 2012
Dental experts accepted that the African practice of using the chewing stick to clean the mouth is superior to the chemically based tooth-brush and tooth-paste.

Unfortunately colonised and mentally enslaved Africans refused to accept this medical fact by stubbornly sticking to chemical tooth-pastes.

It is a fact that the chewing stick is natural and does not harm the body, while the chemical components of the tooth paste is unknown to the African users and it enters the blood stream through the gum.

University of Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University has concluded 40 years ago that the chewing stick is superior to a tooth brush.

Another glaring fact is that African soils is poisoned by the millions of used tooth brushes that litter the land (Africa doesn't have recycling technology), while the chewing stick doesn't poisoned the ground rather it decomposes naturally in the soil.

One tenth of the money spent on the importation of tooth brush and tooth pastes will go a long way in empowering our people in developing the chewing stick trade which may help in the reduction of poverty.

Imagine how many children and adults diseases have been triggered by the chemicals in this tooth-pastes.
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by ATMC(f): 8:25am On Aug 16, 2012
Pple wont go back to dt, its ahead ahead! We got to live with d nuisance constituted by it to our environment cos there's nothing dt does not have side effect...will we cos of d side effects of civilization decide to remain remote? 1000x NO!
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by ifyalways(f): 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
I used it then. Chewing stick and ground charcoal.twas good.

Not so keen on using that again. The one huge limitation it has is tongue cleaning. Is charcoal even good for the teeth/gums?
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by anonymous6(f): 2:11pm On Aug 16, 2012
YATA_YOTO: Dental experts accepted that the African practice of using the chewing stick to clean the mouth is superior to the chemically based tooth-brush and tooth-paste.

Unfortunately colonised and mentally enslaved Africans refused to accept this medical fact by stubbornly sticking to chemical tooth-pastes.

It is a fact that the chewing stick is natural and does not harm the body, while the chemical components of the tooth paste is unknown to the African users and it enters the blood stream through the gum.

University of Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University has concluded 40 years ago that the chewing stick is superior to a tooth brush.

Another glaring fact is that African soils is poisoned by the millions of used tooth brushes that litter the land (Africa doesn't have recycling technology), while the chewing stick doesn't poisoned the ground rather it decomposes naturally in the soil.

One tenth of the money spent on the importation of tooth brush and tooth pastes will go a long way in empowering our people in developing the chewing stick trade which may help in the reduction of poverty.

Imagine how many children and adults diseases have been triggered by the chemicals in this tooth-pastes.

You are correct about the chewing stick effects, I actually have tried both, and both work just good. Despite the minor effects of tooth brush and tooth paste. However I don't think it should be a big deal, it is inevitable. To me I don't see anything wrong with using both, it is up to africans what they chose
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by odumchi: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2012
Charcoal is very healthy and it whitens teeth.
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by ifyalways(f): 8:57am On Aug 17, 2012
Oh, ok.
Thanks.
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by slimyem: 10:57am On Aug 17, 2012
chewing stick gives me a sense of my teeth being cleaner than when i use brush and paste..
I'd still use chewing stick if i stumble on it anyday...
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by bittyend(m): 4:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
WTF is a chewing stick? angry
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by slimyem: 4:28pm On Aug 17, 2012
bittyend: WTF is a chewing stick? angry
a cleaning twig made from a tree with antimicrobial properties...cheesycheesy
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:15pm On Aug 18, 2012
OP is right about plastic toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes.
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by rabzy: 3:53pm On Aug 22, 2012
I love chewing sticks, its just that i can't use it in 2 mins before i rush out by 5am...My dad stopped using toothpaste in 70s when he had toothache and using chewing stick solved it.

My Sister recently has joined him because the chewing stick has also aided and eased her pain. Me I have sensitive gums and i bleed when i brush but i now buy tubes of sensodyne and forever aloe paste, i just wish i could just use the stick everyday.

1 Like

Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by mydentist(m): 8:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
Well chewing stick is also good (questionable), if toothpaste is used alongside and also if it is done in d proper way.
To use a chewing stick you have to chew d head to be soft and after that you apply the toothpaste on it and brush properly not just putting it in the mouth and chew. But looking at the stress dont you think toothbrush is beter than to go through the stress of chewing stick early in the morning before going to work ?
Chewing sticks alone cannot prevent hole on the tooth surface that is why it is adviceable to use with a toothpaste.
But for more info on that feel free to visit www.mydentist.com.ng
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by mydentist(m): 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2013
Well chewing stick is also good (questionable), if toothpaste is used alongside and also if it is done in d proper way.
To use a chewing stick you have to chew d head to be soft and after that you apply the toothpaste on it and brush properly not just putting it in the mouth and chew. But looking at the stress dont you think toothbrush is beter than to go through the stress of chewing stick early in the morning before going to work ?
Chewing sticks alone cannot prevent hole on the tooth surface that is why it is adviceable to use with a toothpaste.
But for more info on that feel free to visit wwwdotmydentistdotcomdotng
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by mydentist(m): 8:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
But for more info on that feel free to visit wwwdotmydentistdotcomdotng
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by daisyella: 1:00am On Aug 27, 2013
Chewing stick is good, my mum doesn't do without it but chewing stick + toothpaste = perfect combo
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by Ndipe(m): 3:59am On Aug 27, 2013
ifyalways: I used it then. Chewing stick and ground charcoal.twas good.

Not so keen on using that again. The one huge limitation it has is tongue cleaning. Is charcoal even good for the teeth/gums?

Charcoal is good for the teeth, but I agree with you, the limitation with using chewing stick is how to clean the tongue. Some people use the strands from palm wine trees to clean their tongues.
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by PAPAAFRICA: 4:04am On Aug 27, 2013
chewing stick seems great (didn't know they existed until now) but its inconvenient. undecided
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 29, 2013
Ive seen rastafarians and members of the afar tribe chewing sticks to clean their teeth....their teeth are almost always pearly white as a result and properly cleaned smiley
Re: Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick by Ndipe(m): 11:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ndipe:

Charcoal is good for the teeth, but I agree with you, the limitation with using chewing stick is how to clean the tongue. Some people use the fronds from palm wine trees to clean their tongues.

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Speak Straight Egba Here? / Eshu.....Esu......Yeshu......Yesu....Jesu...Jesus.......who Is This Person? / 5 Interesting Facts About The Idoma People Of Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.