Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Gap Tooth - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gap Tooth (14870 Views)

How To Bridge The Gap Between American Born Nigerians & Nigerians / Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? / Tooth-brush Vs Chewing Stick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gap Tooth by nalijah07(f): 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2007
Please explain this gap-tooth situation to me.Why is it that 80% of the Nigerians I have met have gaps in their teeth. Is it something cultural, like female circumcision?

Please do not tear me apart, I am just curious.
Re: Gap Tooth by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 19, 2007
80% of how many exactly?
Re: Gap Tooth by nalijah07(f): 8:27pm On Nov 19, 2007
Let's say about 50. Also, each Nigerian movie I watch. It seems as thought the majority of the characters have it.
Re: Gap Tooth by omoge(f): 8:38pm On Nov 19, 2007
i think the gappy is nice. no place for the usual hard meaty to hide therefore no smelly mouth.

thinking of removing one or two of mine to create gappy grin
Re: Gap Tooth by predi(m): 9:56pm On Nov 19, 2007
well i dnt knw y really, but are u sure its 50%- cos i dnt think so. ive got a gap tooth tho and pple say its nice. wetin i wan do, i just smile away all d time to let it show.
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2007
I think it is kind of genetic, because alot of Nigerians I have met have it or like it, I closed mine with braces and alot of people including my parents were upset at first with me. People other places like America have it but braces is more prevalent here in America.
Re: Gap Tooth by chiogo(f): 11:34pm On Nov 19, 2007
It looks cute on some people but when it's too wide, it doesn't. I got some and they're nice!! they don't affect me in any way so i don't think am closin' them up. my sister says she's def. closin' hers up. i agree with wendymanda , it's a genetic thin'.
Re: Gap Tooth by almondjoy(f): 12:04am On Nov 20, 2007
They tell a lot of lies too! And gossip too much --------especially the men---- as the wind escapes through the "gap" like ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! cheesy

Olofofo gap!

@Poster
It is a genetic mark of 419 and corruption like the general IBB!  The chief of all the gap-toothed!

Any time I enconter a 'gap-tooth' I take what ever they say with a pinch or salt or no salt at all! They lie too much!
Re: Gap Tooth by Nobody: 12:29am On Nov 20, 2007
omoge:

i think the gappy is nice. no place for the usual hard meaty to hide therefore no smelly mouth.

thinking of removing one or two of mine to create gappy grin
LOL. . . . ewwww gross. now that will look a hot mess cheesy

almondjoy:

They tell a lot of lies too! And gossip too much --------especially the men---- as the wind escapes through the "gap" like ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! cheesy

Olofofo gap!

@Poster
It is a genetic mark of 419 and corruption like the general IBB! The chief of all the gap-toothed!

Any time I enconter a 'gap-tooth' I take what ever they say with a pinch or salt or no salt at all! They lie too much!
ahhhh. . .na lie o shocked shocked lol. . na 419?

@ poster
dnt mind them jare. . .the title of this thread should have been "doctor Toyin, why do 80% of nigerians have gap tooth?"

well. . .to explain. . its like this. . .but what happened was. . ehrrrrmm, . . well. . thats just the way it is. . God made nigerians to look extra sexy. but i guess God skipped me on "gap tooth" process. . but hey, as omoge said, if you want gap tooth, get hammer and knock one of your teeth out. wink cheesy
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 4:24am On Nov 20, 2007
They tell a lot of lies too! And gossip too much --------especially the men---- as the wind escapes through the "gap" like ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Cheesy

Olofofo gap!

@Poster
It is a genetic mark of 419 and corruption like the general IBB! The chief of all the gap-toothed!

I think that only idiots genaralise. I used to have a gap and I didn't then or know lie like a rug or 419 anyone.
Re: Gap Tooth by MoOdYLaDy(f): 4:44am On Nov 20, 2007
I think they look nice oh some people, and I actually happen to have one cheesy cheesy cheesy, it sexy especially when u have beautiful teeth and nice smile. Have seen some people with a gap tooth but it looks like a teeth is missing embarassed embarassed

Re: Gap Tooth by ursie(f): 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2007
Research has it that gap-tooth is a sign of defect or maybe retarded development in the area.
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 4:04pm On Nov 20, 2007
Everyone has a retardation and I'd rather gap tooth be mine.
Re: Gap Tooth by almondjoy(f): 4:14pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hmmmm!  Why did you use braces to cover the olofofo gap? cheesy You should have left it and EFCC would have been after you now!  Lie Lie people!

sssssssssssssssssssssss! Hissing everywhere like snakes! grin
Re: Gap Tooth by nalijah07(f): 5:09pm On Nov 20, 2007
almondjoy:

Hmmmm! Why did you use braces to cover the olofofo gap? cheesy You should have left it and EFCC would have been after you now! Lie Lie people!

sssssssssssssssssssssss! Hissing everywhere like snakes! grin

You are incredibly funny almondjoy!!

@ ursie - Where did you find the reasearch?
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 10:05pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hmmmm! Why did you use braces to cover the olofofo gap? Cheesy You should have left it and EFCC would have been after you now! Lie Lie people!

sssssssssssssssssssssss! Hissing everywhere like snakes!
I covered it becuase I did not like mine, how is that a lie. What part is a lie. I don't get the joke.
Re: Gap Tooth by naijadiva2(f): 10:50pm On Nov 20, 2007
having a gap is genetic. but if you get braces so can close it up.
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 11:01pm On Nov 20, 2007
having a gap is genetic. but if you get braces so can close it up.
SO does that mean that closing it up is lying?
Re: Gap Tooth by naijadiva2(f): 11:05pm On Nov 20, 2007
what does lying have to do with it?
Re: Gap Tooth by almondjoy(f): 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2007
Al the ones I have met are mainly our house boys and house girls. They lie and steal a lot! grin

Hey lighten up! Just kidding! cheesy

Nothing wrong with "the gap" per se! Looks good on some and just terrible on some that'a all! No biggie!
Re: Gap Tooth by Zandra1(f): 5:14am On Nov 21, 2007
@ almondjoy, ure too funny grin grin grin. Ure cracking me up and yes, I have gap tooth cheesy grin grin grin. Mine is gorgeous and many people Ive met just love it. They always tell me I have a beautiful and lovely smile. I got it from my mom and she also has a beautiful smile. Ive met some Yoruba guys that adore it. They tell me to always smile so they could see my lovely smile and my gap tooth. They said that in Yoruba culture its a beautiful thing when a woman has it. Like some people commented already its gorgeous on some people like moi grin grin grin grin and not so good on some esp. when its too wide and looks like a tooth fell off from there. Its not their fault though but they can make it smaller with braces.
Re: Gap Tooth by almondjoy(f): 6:26am On Nov 21, 2007
wendymanda:

SO does that mean that[b] closing it up is lying[/b]?

naija_diva:

what does lying have to do with it?

Are you ladies having blonde ambitious momemt or what? Gosh! Are you guys in school? shocked

Zandra1:

@ almondjoy, ure too funny grin grin grin. Ure cracking me up and yes, I have gap tooth cheesy grin grin grin. Mine is gorgeous and many people I ve met just love it. They always tell me I have a beautiful and lovely smile. I got it from my mom and she also has a beautiful smile.

I ve met[b] some Yoruba guys [/b] that adore it. They tell me to always smile so they could see my lovely smile and my gap tooth. They said that in Yoruba culture its a beautiful thing when a woman has it. Like some people commented already its gorgeous on some people like moi grin grin grin grin and not so good on some esp. when its too wide and looks like a tooth fell off from there. Its not their fault though but they can make it smaller with braces.

You and this Yoruba thing? Have you met any other set of people in this world? tongue
Re: Gap Tooth by Zandra1(f): 7:47am On Nov 21, 2007
@ almondjoy, hahahahahahaha.

Ive met lots of people that like it like I stated already. I just specified on the Yoruba male friends I have because from what they say it has a cultural significance or stuff like that to them grin grin grin.
Re: Gap Tooth by wendymanda: 4:30am On Nov 22, 2007
Are you ladies having blonde ambitious momemt or what? Gosh! Are you guys in school?
Not a blonde moment, just can't decipher what you're getting at.
Re: Gap Tooth by PTBNaija(f): 12:12am On Nov 23, 2007
I used to have a gap too. My dad always said that gap teeth was a sign of beauty, and he could remember when they were kids and used to put sticks between their two front teeth to create a gap. Dad never got one lol. But I definitely had to close mine, I didn't like it, braces did the trick for me.
Re: Gap Tooth by ifyalways(f): 12:47am On Nov 23, 2007
haaahhhhhahahahahhha heheheheheehehehheehh
when i was younger,i used to associate gap tooth with liars enough space to lie grin but now i look at it as a sign of beauty when its not too much ooo yeah some people do have it and it looks fine on them especially when they smile.for some,its a nightmare seeing them talk shocked
Re: Gap Tooth by almondjoy(f): 10:39am On Nov 23, 2007
ifyalways:

haaahhhhhahahahahhha heheheheheehehehheehh
when i was younger,i used to associate gap tooth with liars

enough space to lie grin

but now i look at it as a sign of beauty when its not too much ooo yeah some people do have it and it looks fine on them especially when they smile.for some,its a nightmare seeing them talk shocked

I told you! cheesy

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!  Olofofo wind gap! grin When you catch them in the lie--the noise of the windy or hissing sound will increase like helicopter taking off! cheesy
Re: Gap Tooth by ifyalways(f): 2:53pm On Nov 23, 2007
almondjoy:

I told you! cheesy

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Olofofo wind gap! grin When you catch them in the lie--the noise of the windy or hissing sound will increase like helicopter taking off! cheesy
grin grin grin grin but i said when i was younger ooooooooooh grin grin grin grin grin but on a second thought ,it might be true oooooooo wink grin grin grin grin

to all the gap tooth sisters and brothers one love kiss afterall what we cant change,we learn to live with it lipsrsealed
Re: Gap Tooth by BlackMamba(m): 4:40pm On Nov 23, 2007
Attend more Naija activities in the U.S. or better yet, visit Naija and save your time on a faulty assumption that 80% of Nigerians are gap-toothed. Or if you must do your little research, just ask the 80% of your 50 Nigerian acquaintances. That's a more accurate research.
Re: Gap Tooth by steaming(f): 10:42am On Nov 27, 2007
I personally hate gap tooth, teeth whatever t is called, never lilked it, doubt if i will. Seen people with it and people go like , oh, i like her dentition, but honestly dont fancy it at all, prefer neatly cloesd well-shaped dentition any day, any time like mine
Re: Gap Tooth by nalijah07(f): 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ BlackMamba

Good luck with your negative vibe smiley
Re: Gap Tooth by mezainab(f): 12:52pm On Nov 28, 2007
At first ,i thought it was a vendetta.You know, almondjoy may have been jilted or decieved by a guy endowed with a gap-tooth or whatever.Then the house girls and boys happened to have it while she,a daughter of the soil doesnt.Oh! imagine how painful.So, going on and on about the sssssssssssss thingy ,pretending to be joking gives me a rethink.Envy, almondjoyey, thats what this is all about.

@almondjoy
Quit trying so hard to be funny.I aint got no gap tooth but i think you r just green with envy.You can get yours done since you missed out during embryo formation.Sawwryy! lipsrsealed wink

@Ifyalways
Take note!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ooni-elect, Ogunwusi Leaves Ilofi For Crowning Today / Do You Still Hear Cocks Crow In Your Neighborhood? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.