Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,194 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? (6120 Views)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / What Is The Relevance Of "Political Science" As A Course.? / Lawyers In The House. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Please I would love this thread, to not only be entertaining but more educative too,, less or not even abusive at any point, with that being said I proceed.

An argument ensued between between a group of people around me and on of them really got angry and their aggression was aimed at athe group for questioning if at all lawyers had aided in the development of Nigeria, mentioning instances as the subsidy protest, where the biggest stage of it all was at the late lawyer Gani faw's park, etc.

So as Nigerians and please too sincerity should be a key here, what or do you think lawyers have helped developed Nigeria?

Please I await ur responses.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 8:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
the court is open!
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 12:50pm On Aug 28, 2012
Like seriozly lawyerz cant address this thread or guys on nairaland cant tgive us or rather me good points, never xpected thz thread to stall... Nlandez
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by oluseg2: 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
Lawyers are the causes of some of the problems we have in this country. They are always fond of creating confusion for nothing. Some of them also aid corrupt fellows in this country by trying to argue cases that are not supposed to be argued.
Mind you, profession should not stop us from knowing what is wrong.

1 Like

Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by DisGuy: 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2012
Thing I cant understand is, every single person charged to court, the first thing they ask for their client is permission to travel for medical check up

and when they start arguing over if someone can get bail or not, I mean shouldn't this be standard procedure, the judge adjournes the case just to hear argument on bail

just some of the things I read in newspapers anyway,
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by issehfresh(f): 8:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
There,s hardly lawyers in this country..and that,s the bottomline. Lol
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by issehfresh(f): 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
'There,re' rather... Just a finger slip.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2012
now we r getting somewhere!
So no gud parts of their heroics?

1 Like

Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by jayjagz: 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
The contribution of lawyers in Nigeria cannot be underestimated. It's is just unfortunate that in every twelve disciples there is always a Judas Iscariot. Atleast I've seen some lawyers that will be honest enough to make their client aware of the fact that there is no possibility of winning the case rather than running after money.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by jayjagz: 5:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
issehfresh: There,s hardly lawyers in this country..and that,s the bottomline. Lol
You don't just make a definite conclusion. The fact still remain that "There are Lawyers in the country" it's just that most of the popular ones are after money and that is the feeling people have about all of them.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2012
Buh then we saying lawyers have been irrelevant have we imagined a Nigeria without them? Cos even if I can relate to ur views that lawyers have not really been that active, buh can we all in retrospect imagine what it cud have been like that is our Nigeria? I mean we've got profile cases that the lawyers took to court but the inner cacus which translate to the judges, have always thwarted the process, so my point is are lawyers to be blamed?or shouldnt we blame the system that they themselves cannot change?
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by BREAD4SEUN: 5:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
LAWYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INCREASED COST OF "BREAD" IN NIGERIA BY NOT SUING THE FEDERAL GOVT OVER THE RISE IN FLOUR PRICE. angry angry angry
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by djeezy(m): 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
jayjagz: The contribution of lawyers in Nigeria cannot be underestimated. It's is just unfortunate that in every twelve disciples there is always a Judas Iscariot. Atleast I've seen some lawyers that will be honest enough to make their client aware of the fact that there is no possibility of winning the case rather than running after money.
Well spoken.

1 Like

Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by abifoluwa: 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
BREAD_4_SEUN: LAWYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INCREASED COST OF "BREAD" IN NIGERIA BY NOT SUING THE FEDERAL GOVT OVER THE RISE IN FLOUR PRICE. angry angry angry
LMFAO
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Built2last: 5:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
Lawyers epitomize corruption in Nigeria...Lawyers are the last hope of the common man but the first hope of the corrupt wealthy. Do you have the money? Can you afford them? if you can, then you can do anything in this country and get away with it. The case will be adjourned for 50 years. SANship has also been bastardized. if we have a judiciary that is not corrupt, our democracy will not be where it is today....Lawyers are veritable tools of escape by the corrupt elite. you can buy them and their conscience if you have the money.

1 Like

Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
Those lawyers have caused more harm than good in this country because of Ghana must go bags being offer them by politicians,aside those few activist lawyers no Nigerian lawyer is worthy of emulation.

Those lawyers in real estate business the worst of them all, they frustrate your life because of commissions.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Yaya6: 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
God help u that your lawyer is a greedy type, you will see hell and call it heaven.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by BREAD4SEUN: 6:01pm On Sep 04, 2012
OH MY GOD, THE PRICE OF "BREAD" HAS RISEN EVEN MORE OOOO angry angry angry angry
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by MMM2(m): 6:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
Op

Do u mean charge & bail or charge & discharge
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 6:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
they lack morals and work ethics which is paramount to the profession.
without these no justice, they bear the name and increase data.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by adesojiaderemi(m): 6:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
M M M: Op

Do u mean charge & bail or charge & discharge

Another name for lawyers in Ngeria is "liers". If you need any "orignally fake document" approach them they have them from 1914 up to date inside that smelling black bag.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by virgo(f): 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
It will be a case of sheer mischief for anyone to say that no lawyer has impacted on our society one way or the other. We all saw how the late Gani Fawehinmi spoke for the common man, suffering arrests, seizure of passports, brutality and attempted murder in the process. Lawyers like Femi Falana have also been at the forefront of the demand for equity and justice.

We must bear in mind that when corruption is found at the top, it eats all the way down to the bottom of the society. Politicians will not deal with upright lawyers, and that is why it seems as though there is a shortage of men of the bar with upstanding characters. Lawyers are relevant in every society. Nearly all great leaders have been lawyers. From Mahatma (Mohandas) Ghandi, to Mandela, Clinton, to Obama, even to Lagos state, where you have a lawyer in charge, lawyers prove their mettle again and again.

Lawyers are relevant to the development of Nigeria, the few bad eggs among them notwithstanding.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
I am a lawyer,and i havent won a case in my 12years of practise.....least i have done is charge,and bail..
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by adesojiaderemi(m): 6:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
virgo: It will be a case of sheer mischief for anyone to say that no lawyer has impacted on our society one way or the other. We all saw how the late Gani Fawehinmi spoke for the common man, suffering arrests, seizure of passports, brutality and attempted murder in the process. Lawyers like Femi Falana have also been at the forefront of the demand for equity and justice.

We must bear in mind that when corruption is found at the top, it eats all the way down to the bottom of the society. Politicians will not deal with upright lawyers, and that is why it seems as though there is a shortage of men of the bar with upstanding characters. Lawyers are relevant in every society. Nearly all great leaders have been lawyers. From Mahatma (Mohandas) Ghandi, to Mandela, Clinton, to Obama, even to Lagos state, where you have a lawyer in charge, lawyers prove their mettle again and again.

Lawyers are relevant to the development of Nigeria, the few bad eggs among them notwithstanding.

Gani was not a lawyer but an humantarian,an attoney and people's voice. That was the reason he refused SAN for many years.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
I am a lawyer,and i havent won a case in my 12years of practise.....least i have done is charge,and bail..and have i contributed to the development?
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by ChrisGnarly: 6:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
I once aguid this yrs bk, sincerely, unless they change their mind set today, they will nt n hv never contributed din to d dev of this nation. If u blv say Hi. Hiiiiiii. D Hi serv it.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Gani was not a lawyer but an humantarian,an attoney and people's voice. That was the reason he refused SAN for many years.
he didnt refuse,he was denied.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

he didnt refuse,he was denied despite he merited it while alive.....he was given posthumoursly.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Koikoi(m): 6:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
I'm a Lawyer, trouble is my work.

saw the above written on a sticker in a guys car the other day and wonder if he was afraid of trouble, otherwise that was a negative ad.
Re: The Relevance Of Lawyers In The Development Of Nigeria? by Kay17: 6:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Lack of specialization is killing the legal profession.

Also nigerians aren't aware of shi.t, its against a codified ethic for lawyers run around instigating cases and issues. Nigerians have to by themselves enforce their rights.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Prospect Of The Science Laboratory Technologist In Nigeria? / Why Can't Hnd Holders Be Employed As Academic Lecturers In Polytechnics / Loeis: Loss Of Employment Insurance Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.