Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

What Are The Most RACIST Countries? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (39025 Views)

The Top 10 Most Racist Countries In The World (includes One African Country) / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? / 12 Reasons Why Italy Is The Most Racist Nation In The Western World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by mcevans1(m): 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2012
Mine: I'd say Britain, US, Australia

Britain because people live in ghettos and do not mix with each other in a quasi-apartheid system.

US....4 God's sake, they even divide americans by race!! everywhere you go you have to specify what race are you... is there anything more racist than that?

Australia because they're the most anti-immigration country on Earth.

Yours? And why?........

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Freiburger(m): 7:59am On Aug 22, 2012
Nigeria and i've got my reasons.

19 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by justwise(m): 8:06am On Aug 22, 2012
Freiburger: Nigeria and i've got my reasons.

Please tell us
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 9:05am On Aug 22, 2012
Freiburger: Nigeria and i've got my reasons.
Bravo, I agree with you

Most people seem to point their fingers toward white people when talking about racism and racists. We seem not to realise that in the real sense, white people are much fairer to us than our fellow black people are.
This brings me to the understanding that there is actual racism in Nigeria: but we don't see it as racism because we classify the behaviours into a wrong category, "tribalism".
For example, some Yoruba families often would not let their daughters get into marriages with Igbo men, most Igbo families would not encourage an inter-marriage with the Hausas, most Hausa families would often not accept inter-marriages with either Yorubas or Igbos, and the same applies with the minorities in Nigeria: Even within the Igbos, there is this intense degree of tribal prejudice: for example, an Anambra man disregards an Owerri woman and might not want anything serious with her: worse still, there is this barbaric cultural practice (amongst the Igbos) that distinguishes and discriminates some certain tribes known as Osu in isolated margin (that is if i am accurate).
Many people are also refused or denied social opportunities for reason of their races or backgrounds, but we don't seem to mind these developments, we only accuse white people of racism when we're refused or denied some benefits.
Now, talking about the grudges and ill-feelings, can we see that there's prejudice in Nigeria, and that we suffer racism from fellow Nigerians than from white people?
Even democracy and election in Nigeria is influenced by ethnicism and racism.

Note: This is not "tribalism", but racism in its finest definition: Tribalism is experienced amongst specific ethnic groups for example; Owerri man versus Enugu man. But when it is inter-ethnic, such as Hausa people versus Yoruba people, then it is called racism.
Racism goes beyond skin colours; consider Polish people accusing the Germans of racism as well as the Albanians accusing the Greeks of racism towards them yet, they are all white

67 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=50144&post=1060450
lawrence99: Just wondering what place in the world you guys think has the worst racism? Where is the deep-felt patriotism/tribalism/nationalism/racism or whatever you wanna call it strongest? Where could you get attacked, kidnapped, killed just because you're not black?

I'm a white guy and having travelled in over 100 countries and 25 countries in Africa, I think it's Nigeria! Sure in French Africa, the police will want a bribe if you're english speaking and for sure if you're white. And boy will they be wicked!! But the local people there are nice and will want to be friends with you. In South Africa, they've got huge tensions for sure. But at least most people are trying to be a rainbow nation. And in provincial Western Europe and Eastern Europe, it's bad for black people. There'll be some idiots there who want trouble but most people would look away and in embarassed England most would stop it. Australia's bad definitely but a lot of people no longer believe in white Australia and even if they'd laugh, they wouldn't let anyone get hurt.

But in Nigeria, it was unbelievable!!! I've been attacked several times on my travels but only in Nigeria did I experience being attacked whilst a street full of onlookers who all laughed. In Nigeria, it's funny for a white to be attacked. If he's bleeding, it's better. Why was I in their country anyway. After all, there's only 2 million Nigerians in the 'country' where I was born. Nigerians are far too backward to get along with other racial Nigerians so a white is just an animal to them. Every Nigerian I met wanted something out of me. If I ask for my change in a bar, they shake their heads, close their eyes and sometimes scream in anger. What a stupid white! When they see me with my Nigerian girlfriend, they shout out loud and tell her in to eat all my money. Yeah! Ha ha! If I'm friends with a Nigerian and at the end I haven't given them anything, they get angry and make threats. Sometimes, they'll see you somewhere and just look at you and shake their heads in disgust. You're white, what are you doing in my country? Sometimes, they kidnap you if you're a foreigner. When I visited my girlfriend's family home, someone outside said: what the Bleep are you doing in my country? Most Nigerians utterly hate whites. And they think there's good reason to! They're white and were born on white land. Nigeria's the most racist place in the world in my opinion. It's pure happy, smiling racism. How can Nigerians talk about racism?

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by azzima(m): 9:36am On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice: https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=50144&post=1060450

you are right Bro.I am a Nigerian and I second that opinion.We need to start looking within.
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by claremont(m): 9:38am On Aug 22, 2012
The OP asked for countries where racism is rife, I wonder how and why some people on here are mentioning Nigeria. How can a Negro race be racist against its own kith and kin?!
Just so you know, racism can only occur between two different races, and NOT WITHIN an individual race!

If you want to argue about Tribalism and Ethnicity in Nigeria, you can go ahead and argue about it; those are issues very different and separate from an argument on racism.

33 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by mcevans1(m): 9:44am On Aug 22, 2012
claremont: The OP asked for countries where racism is rife, I wonder how and why some people on here are mentioning Nigeria. How can a Negro race be racist against its own kith and kin?!
Just so you know, racism can only occur between two different races, and NOT WITHIN an individual race!

If you want to argue about Tribalism and Ethnicity in Nigeria, you can go ahead and argue about it; those are issues very different and separate from an argument on racism.

I am beginning to wonder as well. I wasn't talking about Tribalism and Ethnicity in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 9:45am On Aug 22, 2012
claremont: The OP asked for countries where racism is rife, I wonder how and why some people on here are mentioning Nigeria. How can a Negro race be racist against its own kith and kin?!

First of all, (apart from what you think you understand RACISM to mean), have you ever checked the definition of RACE in the dictionary?
Maybe you need to do so, or better ask someone who studies SOCIOLOGY or Anthropology for the definition of RACE.
It would be helpful for you to know that Human races are defined beyond skin colours otherwise, the Latvians would not be accusing the Russians of RACISM

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice:
First of all, (apart from what you think you understand RACISM to mean), have you ever checked the definition of RACE in the dictionary?
Maybe you need to do so, or better ask someone who studies SOCIOLOGY or Anthropology for the definition of RACE.
It would be helpful for you to know that Human races are defined beyond skin colours otherwise, the Latvians would not be accusing the Russians of RACISM

But skin colour isn't a bad start even though Racism or Racial discrimination goes beyond that. On that basis I have never seen a Nigerian hate another Nigerian just cause he's black. People hate people for varied reasons and that isn't particularly tied down to a particular race. Hatred for whatever reasons are a universal phenomenon. But I think the disgust is one hating cos of your skin color. Cos you can't change that and it isn't your fault you re black. The same also goes for the black hating the white just cos he's white.
Other subtle forms like Tribalism and Ethnicity can be eradicated with time through proper education and more tolerant open minded interactions with one another. An Igbo man that won't allow his daughter marry the love of her life just cos he's Yoruba is sad, but at least the daughter doesn't think that way and more importantly the daughter doesn't see Yorubas that way. Moreover, the man might still change his mind after fortunate dealings with Yoruba people.

But if what triggers the hatred is skin color, then what can be done to change that? Absolutely nothing, which is why that is still the most dangerous form of discrimination.

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 11:35am On Aug 22, 2012
Donxavier:

But skin colour isn't a bad start even though Racism or Racial discrimination goes beyond that. On that basis I have never seen a Nigerian hate another Nigerian just cause he's black. People hate people for varied reasons and that isn't particularly tied down to a particular race. Hatred for whatever reasons are a universal phenomenon. But I think the disgust is one hating cos of your skin color. Cos you can't change that and it isn't your fault you re black. The same also goes for the black hating the white just cos he's white.
Other subtle forms like Tribalism and Ethnicity can be eradicated with time through proper education and more tolerant open minded interactions with one another. An Igbo man that won't allow his daughter marry the love of her life just cos he's Yoruba is sad, but at least the daughter doesn't think that way and more importantly the daughter doesn't see Yorubas that way. Moreover, the man might still change his mind after fortunate dealings with Yoruba people.

But if what triggers the hatred is skin color, then what can be done to change that? Absolutely nothing, which is why that is still the most dangerous form of discrimination.
If Ashanti people discriminate against the Swahilis, or an Hausa man discriminates against an Igbo man, would these be called Tribalism or RACISM?
What about if an Ijebu man discriminates against an Ekiti man or an Abakaliki woman discriminates against an Umuahia man, are these Racism or TRIBALISM?
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by shaybebaby(f): 11:48am On Aug 22, 2012
Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice:
If Ashanti people discriminate against the Swahilis, or an Hausa man discriminates against an Igbo man, would these be called Tribalism or RACISM?
What about if an Ijebu man discriminates against an Ekiti man or an Abakaliki woman discriminates against an Umuahia man, are these Racism or TRIBALISM?

Tribalism/Ethnicity.

I agree that extreme tribalism takes the same offensive form as extreme racism but there are some distinct differences. Tribalism is unrelated to one's biology and as such flexible and transformable. People everywhere change or enhance their ethnicity by learning about and assimilating other culture. Ethnic/Tribal identity are learned forms of behaviour and it is acquired.
If an Hausa hates me cos am yoruba I can decide to learn the culture of the Hausas and become accepted by them. Tribalism is a culture thing and as such can be learned. I can learn their ways, act like them, think and talk like them until I am literarily them.
Not so with Racism. Your Race is innate and unalterable. I said it earlier you can't change your skin color, it's the way you are born and it's no fault of yours.

I can still be accepted by a tribalist because as long as I assume their cultural identity, then there is no problem. But the problem with the Racist is that I can never be like them biologically and as long as I don't look like them biologically, I can't be accepted.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 12:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
Donxavier:

Tribalism/Ethnicity.

I agree that extreme tribalism takes the same offensive form as extreme racism but there are some distinct differences. Tribalism is unrelated to one's biology and as such flexible and transformable. People everywhere change or enhance their ethnicity by learning about and assimilating other culture. Ethnic/Tribal identity are learned forms of behaviour and it is acquired.
If an Hausa hates me cos am yoruba I can decide to learn the culture of the Hausas and become accepted by them. Tribalism is a culture thing and as such can be learned. I can learn their ways, act like them, think and talk like them until I am literarily them.
Not so with Racism. Your Race is innate and unalterable. I said it earlier you can't change your skin color, it's the way you are born and it's no fault of yours.

I can still be accepted by a tribalist because as long as I assume their cultural identity, then there is no problem. But the problem with the Racist is that I can never be like them biologically and as long as I don't look like them biologically, I can't be accepted.
So, you think the Igbos and the Hausas are of same race, hum?
You really do think the Ashanti people and the Swahilis, or the Hausas man and the Igbos are all of same tribes?
And you also think Ijebu people and Ekiti people, as well as Abakaliki people and the Umuahia people, are different ethnics?
Well, "First of all, (apart from what you think you understand RACISM to mean), have you ever checked the definition of RACE in the dictionary?
"
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
»»»
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice:
So, you think the Igbos and the Hausas are of same race, hum?
You really do think the Ashanti people and the Swahilis, or the Hausas man and the Igbos are all of same tribes?
And you also think Ijebu people and Ekiti people, as well as Abakaliki people and the Umuahia people, are different ethnics?
Well, "First of all, (apart from what you think you understand RACISM to mean), have you ever checked the definition of RACE in the dictionary?
"

What's your point?
Igbo Hausa Same Race
Hausa Igbo Different Tribes
Ijebu Ekiti. Same Tribe/ethnic group
What's your point?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
Donxavier:

What's your point?
Igbo Hausa Same Race
Hausa Igbo Different Tribes
Ijebu Ekiti. Same Tribe/ethnic group
What's your point?
First of all, ask someone who studies SOCIOLOGY or Anthropology or at least, check the dictionary definitions for RACE and understand it beyond colours so there may be reasonable talk about it

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Aderostock(m): 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
Donxavier:

Tribalism/Ethnicity.

Donxavier, u have said it all. A big gbam for u

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
[size=15pt]How can Nigerians talk about racism or discrimination?"
Nigerians are sometimes forced to respect white people because of their influence and advancements with their creative and manufacturing power, if you want to really know the discriminatory mindsets of Nigerians, ask an Albino or those who have Albinos in their family or ask the so called Osu people in Igbo land and see how cruel Nigerians could be in discrimination[/size]

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice:
First of all, ask someone who studies SOCIOLOGY or Anthropology or at least, check the dictionary definitions for RACE and understand it beyond colours so there may be reasonable talk about it

I'm asking you, cos it's you that don't understand what race is all about. From your writings, it's obvious you can't tell the difference between Racism,Ethnicity/Ethnocentrism and all other subtle forms of discrimination.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Vicjustice: 2:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
Donxavier:

I'm asking you, cos it's you that don't understand what race is all about. From your writings, it's obvious you can't tell the difference between Racism,Ethnicity/Ethnocentrism and all other subtle forms of discrimination.
Well, contrary to yours and the vast Nigerians popular opinion on RACE defined on the basis of Skin Colours,
Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by heritable phenotypic characteristics, geographic ancestry, physical appearance, ethnicity, and social status. In the early twentieth century the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

Note: in order to get the exact page, make sure you copy and paste the entire address including the brackets and underscores
Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by tunapawizzy: 2:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
Nigeria noni...even within our community we tend to create races n boundaries that dont exist. Ukraine n Germany too

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Lordmike: 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
is Nigeria period. proof me wrong with your points. BH is killing Christains is that not racism? Northerners are fighting for presidency is that not racism? Ijaw people are defending every unpopular policy of GEJ, is that not Racism? what is tribalism? is the same as Racism. so Nigeria is number1, stop thinking b/w black and white but black and black.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by onila(f): 2:33pm On Aug 22, 2012
Russia, Ukraine most racist countries in the world

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by onila(f): 2:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
how can Nigeria be racist when we treat foreigners better than our own people

Nigeria I wld say ethnic violence/division-tribal wars

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Thayay(m): 2:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
Malaysia(gold medal)
ukraine(silver)
russia(bronze)
isreal
pakistan
iran
china
korea...............britain are less racist with malaysia winning gold medal

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by kayLion(m): 2:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
I dont want to know d meaning of racism but all i can say is dat we Nigerians are Culprit also...When i was in secondary school..we had Albinos in our school and we definately made life hell for them...how do we term that?...then as a football fan...what do u call Scholes or Rooney??...Sometimes PIG??!!...so, if u dont want to be called MONKEY dont call anyone PIG...then, the Lebanese close to you...what do u call them...let us search ourselves pls

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by prinxard(m): 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2012

guy football sense jus full ur body! U too get sense joor.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2012
Vicjustice:
Well, contrary to yours and the vast Nigerians popular opinion on RACE defined on the basis of Skin Colours,
Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by heritable phenotypic characteristics, geographic ancestry, physical appearance, ethnicity, and social status. In the early twentieth century the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

Note: in order to get the exact page, make sure you copy and paste the entire address including the brackets and underscores

Race is the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups based on INHERITED physical and behavioural differences. Britanica Online Encyclopaedia. I said earlier their are myriads forms of discriminations. There is a difference between Racism,Ethnicity,Tribalism and the likes. The OP isn't interested in Ethnicity which you seem to be more interested in. He wants to know about Racism and Racist countries. An Hausa man hating an Igbo man is not Racism even though they seem similar and may bring about the same consequences. The difference is in the ideology.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by ArQueBusieR(m): 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2012
Smh...Race/racism and tribe/tribalism are not the same, end of.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by zeal500: 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
Germany & Russia

1 Like

Re: What Are The Most RACIST Countries? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Russia, Germany and...and...Thailand, Thai people disgust blacks! You need to see how they will dodge you as they jam you suddenly in their place like eh....gosh, we need to repatriate all these chinco people and Indians self mehnnnnnnnnnnnn....lolz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Trains Collide In Southern Egypt, 32 Dead, 66 Wounded / Passengers Sitting On Top Of An Overcrowded Train In Agege, Lagos. / VIP Lounge Of The Anambra International Airport (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.