Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,433 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Liberian President Suspends Son From Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Liberian President Suspends Son From Office (11428 Views)

President Buhari To Resign From Office Or Face Impeachment -- NJC / Removal Of A President From Office (impeachment) - Nigerian Constitution / NCP Secretary Calls For Fashola’s Removal From Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by 1025: 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Liberia's President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has suspended one of her sons from the post of central bank deputy governor for failing to declare his assets, her office has said.

Charles Sirleaf was among 46 officials suspended for not making the disclosure to anti-corruption officials, it said.

He was one of three sons appointed to top posts by his mother following her re-election last year.

Critics accuse Mrs Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace laureate, of nepotism.

She has appointed her son, Fumba, as head of the National Security Agency and another son, Robert, as a senior adviser and chairman of the state-owned National Oil Company of Liberia (NOCAL).
Good governance

Robert Sirleaf is suing two local newspapers - the Independent and The Analyst - and opposition politician Jefferson Kogie for libel for suggesting that he has benefited financially from the posts

In a statement, Mrs Sirleaf's office said Charles Sirleaf and the other 45 officials would remain suspended until they declared their assets to the Anti-Corruption Commission.

Other suspended officials include the presidency's Chief of Protocol David Anderson, Solicitor-General and Deputy Minister of Justice Micah Wilkins Wright and Deputy Director General for Broadcasting Ledgerhood Rennie.

Mrs Sirleaf, who took power in 2005 at the end of 14 years of conflict, has repeatedly pledged to tackle corruption and to promote good governance in Liberia.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19333908

did our own president declare his assets no to talk of suspending his own son for same reason? why is nigeria not behaving like other countries of this world?
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Obukoogene: 12:53pm On Aug 22, 2012
1025:

did our own president declare his assets no to talk of suspending his own son for same reason? why is nigeria not behaving like other countries of this world?
you that is writing that our president should declare his asset, have you declare yours? look the shit wey dey your ass before you look another person own or remove the plank that is in your eyes so that you will be able to see another's own grin grin grin
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by 1025: 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2012
Obukoogene:
you that is writing that our president should declare his asset, have you declare yours? look the shit wey dey your ass before you look another person own or remove the plank that is in your eyes so that you will be able to see another's own grin grin grin

i did not ask jonathan to declare his wealth rather the law did. jonathan is enjoying our N1b on food only so the idea is to make sure he is not leaving a criminal life. the day nigeria begins to feed me with tax payers'money, i will declare my assets.

3 Likes

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by edoyad(m): 1:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
Chaiii!! one Family with NSA, NNPC chairman, CBN deputy governor and president(naija equivalent)? Africa will be Africa. She even only suspended him, means he'll be back to his post soon.

5 Likes

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Stallion77(f): 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
Leadership begins at home! Good example!
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by dabrake(m): 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
Obukoogene:
40-man laptop squad member

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by dramaticspeak(m): 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by madeinnigeria: 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
T.I.A...this is africa
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by OjujuCalabar(m): 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2012
we will get to that level one day
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by gilgee(m): 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
Obukoogene:

Unbelievable! I doubt if you are Nigerian! People like you equip our leaders with the impunity to swim in corruption, because of your ignorance!

3 Likes

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by aare07(m): 1:40pm On Aug 22, 2012
pretender by african leader.........
we are too cold for this comfortless liar by most powerful woman in Africa...........
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2012
this is the woman who endorsed gej lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Navalsadiq(m): 1:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
The woman to has a questionable form of governace.how come all three of her sons are heading top positions in liberia.africa and governace!GOD help una

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
Obukoogene:

the 40 dunces - is the poster a political office holder?
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by kioboy(m): 1:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
Our president declared his assets b4 he ws sworn in as President & CnC. Bt d bone of contention is making it public. Which i think we shld do everything humanly possible to compel d CCB to release a cope. Jornalists and interested parties shld rely on d FOI bill to retrieve it.

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by iammodel(m): 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
Commendable move, worth emulating.
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Reggie234: 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2012
Three of her children! Haba! Thats way too much, African leaders would never change.
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by jamace(m): 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2012
oyb:

the 40 dunces - is the poster a political office holder?

LWKMD grin
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by andyanders: 1:53pm On Aug 22, 2012
This woman is something else. Having your children appointed to such sensitive positions goes to show the greed our African leaders display when given the power. In fact, power intosticates.

2 Likes

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by mapet: 1:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
I thought I was the only one that saw this. No matter how we spin it, this may hunt her in the nearest future. Suspending him for not declaring his asset is like "kids gloves" to me. How 3 of his sons heads some of the most important and pivotal arm of government is under her family's control or should I say consumption.

When it is said that Leadership is one of the curse of African countries, you do not need to wonder far..... how different is Sirleaf from the below

"It is within this context that one can situate the drama currently evolving in Guatemala between President Alvaro Colom, due to leave office in September and his wife, Ms Sandra Torres who is plotting to succeed him. While Article 186 of Guatemala’s constitution forbids relatives of the president from seeking elective office, the First Lady announced on March 11, 2011 that she and her husband had completed a “divorce” by mutual consent. "I am getting a divorce from my husband, but I am getting married to the people. I am not going to be the first or the last woman who decides to get a divorce, but I am the only woman to get a divorce for her country," says the president’s wife in justifying what critics in Guatemala see as a clever ploy by the first family to circumvent the law.13" source http://programs.wcfia.harvard.edu/fellows/files/paper_adeniyi_final.pdf

edoyad: Chaiii!! one Family with NSA, NNPC chairman, CBN deputy governor and president(naija equivalent)? Africa will be Africa. She even only suspended him, means he'll be back to his post soon.

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
What a man can do,a woman can do best! Liberian presido you too much! I hope the retardeen will do the same. undecided
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by tunnytox(m): 2:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
Very greedy woman, these African leaders never learn! How can you possibly explain having 3 of your sobs in strategic posts if not for greediness, if she's not careful she'll end up like Samuel Doe, ole!
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by tunapawizzy: 2:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
edoyad: Chaiii!! one Family with NSA, NNPC chairman, CBN deputy governor and president(naija equivalent)? Africa will be Africa. She even only suspended him, means he'll be back to his post soon.
as in the matter tire me o
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by begwong: 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
tunnytox: Very greedy woman, these African leaders never learn! How can you possibly explain having 3 of your sobs in strategic posts if not for greediness, if she's not careful she'll end up like Samuel Doe, ole!
I tire oo! Thought she came in from Yankee.
Was that obtainable in US
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
Interesting. I rolled my eyeballs when reading that 3 of her Children were holding vital posts in Liberia but another thought told me that they may be qualified for those posts. As for the suspension, it's a brave decision. "But this African Leaders can play politics like...It may just be a planned idea between mother and son to dabo Liberian People...So, Liberians will hail their Leader as a disciplinarian, and others... Just my own naughty thinking o".
FMJ!
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by 1025: 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
kioboy: Our president declared his assets b4 he ws sworn in as President & CnC. Bt d bone of contention is making it public. Which i think we shld do everything humanly possible to compel d CCB to release a cope. Jornalists and interested parties shld rely on d FOI bill to retrieve it.

who did he declare his assets to? his family i guess? when Bush ended his leadership in usa, it was on record that in his 8 years as president of america, he had no house in washington. can you say that of a president whose wife is in a serious war with the wife of else president over a land in abuja?
we are talking about a public declaration which is part of the freedom of information bill(FOI) which jonathan signed into law himself.
no nigerian leader apart from the late yar adua can honestly tell nigerians all he has. i can bet my life on that.
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Ibangap(m): 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Naval sadiq: The woman to has a questionable form of governace.how come all three of her sons are heading top positions in liberia.africa and governace!GOD help una
what is wrong wit her appointing them to top positions as long as they suit d criteria nd qualification 2 be dere?

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Obukoogene:

Is there anything in that coconut your call a brain-case? The CONSTITUTION REQUIRES, for your own benefit, that all people in office declare there assets. Why should all Nigerians now declare their assets before you can require that your law be obeyed by those who you elected? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by tonadoes: 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2012
Most people dont seen 2 know dat d president actually declared his assets wen he was sworn in as d president of Nig 2 d relivant govt agency ie d code of conduct bureau. And dat is wat d law says, wat people shd b clamouring 4 is dat NA shd repeal d FOI law 2 expunch such secrecy clause and make it compulsary 4 d president 2 declare his assets publicly.

1 Like

Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by tellwisdom: 2:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
sirleaf is a good country now..
Re: Liberian President Suspends Son From Office by 1025: 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
tonadoes: Most people dont seen 2 know dat d president actually declared his assets wen he was sworn in as d president of Nig 2 d relivant govt agency ie d code of conduct bureau. And dat is wat d law says, wat people shd b clamouring 4 is dat NA shd repeal d FOI law 2 expunch such secrecy clause and make it compulsary 4 d president 2 declare his assets publicly.

in which ways can u confirm/prove that jonathan actually declared his assets? for those of us doubting the declaration, how are u ready to convince us that he actually did? who signed the FOI into law and what is it all about? if the agency u mentioned pretend to have heard the declaration, how does a common nigerian be convinced of that?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidency Sets-up Task-force On Ezekwesili's Remarks / INEC Prepared For Edo Governorship Election Despite Security Reports / "99% Of Smuggled Rice Not Fit For Human Consumption" - Customs Boss, Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.