Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

When A Loved One Dies - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When A Loved One Dies (943 Views)

5 Luxury Accessories You Can Get Your Loved One This Season / Wake Up To A Free World- Send A Free Sms To A Loved One Here! / A Goodnight Wish To A Loved Nairalanders. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When A Loved One Dies by bigangel4u(m): 8:17pm On Aug 22, 2012
When our friends lose their loved ones, what should we do to console them?
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Caracta(f): 9:13pm On Aug 22, 2012
There are no specific rules. My best friend died few days ago, and i was consoled by people's presence, jokes, calls and text messages. With time, healing comes.
You can console your friend by being real, and showing you care. You can even take him/her out.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by bigangel4u(m): 8:01pm On Aug 23, 2012
Caracta: There are no specific rules. My best friend died few days ago, and i was consoled by people's presence, jokes, calls and text messages. With time, healing comes.
You can console your friend by being real, and showing you care. You can even take him/her out.

Do you think it's proper to tell jokes to someone who's bereaved?
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Caracta(f): 8:42pm On Aug 23, 2012
bigangel4u:

Do you think it's proper to tell jokes to someone who's bereaved?
Not in a direct way. That was why i said there are no rules to it. I have a particular friend (a sanguine) that loves teasing me whenever i'm in tears. Words like 'common girl, ur face looks scary' etc.make me want to smash his head into pieces but i smile instead. Listen, what worked for me might not work for your friend. All the best.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by bigangel4u(m): 9:09pm On Aug 23, 2012
Caracta:
Not in a direct way. That was why i said there are no rules to it. I have a particular friend (a sanguine) that loves teasing me whenever i'm in tears. Words like 'common girl, ur face looks scary' etc.make me want to smash his head into pieces but i smile instead. Listen, what worked for me might not work for your friend. All the best.
Thanks!
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Caracta(f): 9:22pm On Aug 23, 2012
In addition, some situations demand for just our presence. Say few words, pray with them, listen to them, help them with chores, be readily available at any time. Don't bore them with epistles and stories, they wouldn't listen. Let them heal.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by bigangel4u(m): 9:29pm On Aug 23, 2012
That's a great idea. I think prayer's very important.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Callotti: 12:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
Until you lose a loved one yourself, you can understand only time MAY heal. Nothing else. I don't even bother anymore but send a card with MONEY in it to help for funeral arrangements! No need making things worse. The grieving process is an individual experience. Unless you are dealing with a professional 'mourner'! wink Aka 'my fellow widows'! tongue

I LOVE TO BE LEFT ALONE!!!! kiss
No phone calls, NO VISITORS!!! kiss
I don't do crowds in life or in death! Period! cool
Just my family only. No friends! I don't keep any! kiss
Only males of course. cool
Re: When A Loved One Dies by ifyalways(f): 1:06pm On Aug 26, 2012
I personally give them space to grief. No visiting and poke nosing. Occasional phone calls and assistance using my discretion and that's just about that.

I'm highly emotionally and therefore not a good physical company for anyone in grief. Besides, I've lost a loved one, I healed with time, all alone.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by bigangel4u(m): 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ Calloti. But I think it's during our troubled hours we know who really care for us.
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 27, 2012
bigangel4u: When our friends lose their loved ones, what should we do to console them?

First, pray for them.
Just be there and lend them a shoulder to cry on.
Give them space if they need it and don't force them to "get over it".

When my father died, it was the hardest thing for me.
Luckily I had friends and family who knew what to do. smiley

1 Like

Re: When A Loved One Dies by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 27, 2012
bigangel4u: @ Calloti. But I think it's during our troubled hours we know who really care for us.

^la verdad! wink
Re: When A Loved One Dies by Callotti: 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
bigangel4u: @ Calloti. But I think it's during our troubled hours we know who really care for us.

True. But even those can change when 'times are no longer troubled'!
They may become even worse than death! LOL!!!
I will be in no position to know who cares or not in times of grief.
I love to be left alone. Being around people will not help.

Just me.

(1) (Reply)

The Meanings Of Acronyms Used In Chatting And Texting. / Your "Most Disliked Nairalander" / A Real-life Question For A Psychologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.