Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

"I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! (6027 Views)

King Making In Igbo Lands / How To Say "i Miss You" In Yoruba? Plz Help Me! / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by fingard02k(m): 2:04pm On Aug 24, 2012
The answer came up when parrot mouth (a comedian) asked miss (Ada) Anambra and miss (Ada) Igbo the question on rythme 95.7 Awka this morning..Big Thanks to Big Sid ( presenter)

I miss you = Anya gi na-akpam/n'akpam .
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by ChinenyeN(m): 8:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
You're acting as if no one knew before. Nothing is "revealed". People have always known how to say "I miss you" in their various vernacular.

1 Like

Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by fingard02k(m): 6:12am On Aug 26, 2012
ChinenyeN: You're acting as if no one knew before. Nothing is "revealed". People have always known how to say "I miss you" in their various vernacular.

Dear i'm not acting anything. Which vernacular are you talking about? Have you ever seen or come across where the correct answer was given?. Do you know the answer before?.yes i wrote "revealed" cus it was kinda hidden/known before. If anyone should be acting/forming then have to be you.
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by odumchi: 7:03am On Aug 26, 2012
fingard02k:
Dear i'm not acting anything. Which vernacular are you talking about? Have you ever seen or come across where the correct answer was given?. Do you know the answer before?.yes i wrote "revealed" cus it was kinda hidden/known before. If anyone should be acting/forming then have to be you.

Chinenye hit the nail on the spot. Most dialects have different ways of expressing "I miss you". What you got was the "typical" Anambra answer. If you asked an Abian or Deltan the same question, you'd get two totally different answers. In fact, Abia state alone has many ways of saying "I miss you".

Anyway, congrats on your rediscovery lol.
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
Well, fingard02k, forgive me for saying that you're acting, because as far as I know, the answer is not news to many people.
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by fingard02k(m): 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2012
odumchi:

Chinenye hit the nail on the spot. Most dialects have different ways of expressing "I miss you". What you got was the "typical" Anambra answer. If you asked an Abian or Deltan the same question, you'd get two totally different answers. In fact, Abia state alone has many ways of saying "I miss you".

Anyway, congrats on your rediscovery lol.

okay but please can you help me with one of the numerous (according to you) dialet's version? Thanks
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by fingard02k(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
ChinenyeN: Well, fingard02k, forgive me for saying that you're acting, because as far as I know, the answer is not news to many people.

can you help me with one you know or heard before?
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:52pm On Aug 26, 2012
fingard02k:
can you help me with one you know or heard before?
In Mbaise, Ngor Okpuala, Ngwa, Asa, Ndoki, Etche and some parts of Ikwere (if I remember correctly) owu/ahowu is used when someone is nostalgic, missing or longing for something.
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by ifyalways(f): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
Lmao!

Discovery of the year. Indeed.
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by fingard02k(m): 5:30pm On Aug 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:
In Mbaise, Ngor Okpuala, Ngwa, Asa, Ndoki, Etche and some parts of Ikwere (if I remember correctly) owu/ahowu is used when someone is nostalgic, missing or longing for something.
Does (owu/ahowu) literally mean "i miss you" or just "miss"
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by ChinenyeN(m): 5:57pm On Aug 26, 2012
Owu/ahowu is the expression for "miss". Owu'u/ahowu'u is "I miss you".
Re: "I Miss You" In IGBO Revealed! by odumchi: 7:25pm On Aug 26, 2012
fingard02k:
okay but please can you help me with one of the numerous (according to you) dialet's version? Thanks

In Arochukwu, "I miss you" is literally "I mere m aka nkujo". Ohafia, Abam, Ihechiowa, and Abiriba all say it differently.

(1) (Reply)

Statue Of Ori Olokun In Brazil / Should Kalabari And Ijo Youths Be Allowed To Join Igbo Youths UK? / Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.