Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,321 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview (24178 Views)

Things Never To Say In A Job Interview / 9 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview / 13 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by mukina2: 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2012

1. "I just sort of... and then... and like... and uh... yeah."

If you ramble, you lose.

Think back to when you last met someone and asked them a simple question ("So, what did you do at Acme Corp?"wink, only to hear 6 minutes of irrelevant details. How did you feel?

Now imagine this happening in a job interview. Interviewers aren't just evaluating your technical skills. They're using the "Airport Test," asking themselves, 'Could I see myself being stuck in an airport with this person?'

Like it or not, we're evaluated on our personality as well as our skills. And if you can't give a tight, concise answer in an interview, the interviewer will wonder if you'll be able to do it in your job.

2. "Yeah, I helped out with that but it wasn't just me."

Humility is a great trait, but going out of your way to be self-deprecating is an interview turn-off.

You should always be candid about your role, but your interviewer doesn't care about your team dynamics or organizational chart. He wants to know what you did. He wants to know how you think. He wants to know about YOU.

If you keep downplaying your accomplishments, how is a hiring manager supposed to value you enough to hire you?

It's okay to be proud of the work you've done. It's okay to be confident. Try it: Practice saying, "I'm glad you asked about that project. I'm really proud of the results we got, including a 13% revenue increase in 6 months." See how that makes you feel.

Does it feel uncomfortable the first time? Of course. We're not used to talking about our accomplishments without downplaying them. But the fifth time you practice your confident answers, it will start to feel natural.

3. "I left my last job because I didn't really get along with my boss."

We've all had bosses from hell, but an interview is not the place to trade war stories.

Take the high road: "I really enjoyed working at Acme Corp. One of the things I appreciated was being able to grow my skills in email marketing, but now I'm ready to take my skills to a bigger stage. That's why I'm excited to work with you..."

4. "I work too hard."

What's your biggest weakness?

Interviewers love to ask this question because it separates the top performers from the average workers. The most common -- and worst -- responses are trite: "I work too hard" or "I have trouble saying no to responsibility."

Hiring managers aren't stupid. They can see right through these canned responses.

So what is the right answer to a question about your biggest weakness?

Look for the "question behind the question." What interviewers really want to know is that you're self-perceptive enough to acknowledge your weaknesses -- which we all have -- and that you've taken recent action to improve them.

So instead of a canned answer, explain what a real weakness you have and how you've worked to fix it. Include specifics. Point to conferences you've attended or projects you've taken on.

That's how you answer the weakness question and nail the interview.

5. "I made 40K at my last job, so I'm really looking for something more like 50K. But you know...I'll be willing to take 45K too."

Your interviewer will always want to know how much you made at your last job. But it's not your responsibility to tell them.

In fact, you put yourself at a severe disadvantage if they know your salary. For example, if you tell them you make $50,000, and the hiring manager was prepared to offer you $60,000, you've just lost thousands of dollars from one sentence.

Even in this economy, few companies will reject you for simply not answering the salary question. That's because it costs thousands of dollars to recruit the average candidate. If they really want you, they'll make you an offer, and you can negotiate from there.

When they ask for your salary, here's your line to use: "I'm sure we can discuss salary when the time is right, but for now I just want to see if there's a mutual fit for you and me."

Negotiating can be tough, but it can be worth thousands of dollars to you (here's how to negotiate your salary the right way).

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/blogs/profit-minded/never-five-things-job-interview-195443795.html?page=1

17 Likes

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by mkmyers45(m): 1:56pm On Aug 27, 2012
Very Nice and Insightful Points

9/10

3 Likes

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by drzed: 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
The kind of stuff/information that makes Nairaland great.
10/10.
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by phraze(m): 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2012
Mukina u sharp o, lol tho just went through it on their homepage lol nice collecting and droping... The Rules are just so TRUE!
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by tunapawizzy: 2:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
on point
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Machini(m): 3:01pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nice tips.
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by donbuchi1(m): 3:02pm On Aug 27, 2012
do you guys think point 5 is workable in this part of the world?

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by alamarmeen: 3:02pm On Aug 27, 2012
Anybody with information on firstbank graduate recruitment run by workforce some months ago
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by pembisco(m): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2012
Oboi! Evn d interviewers knw ol diz responces oh...so its nt ol abt dt (d responces)
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Ozegbe(m): 3:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
aren't you guys tired of all these 10 things, 15, 23 or 5 things you should say, dont say, do or dont do in an interview?
the only one thing i have learn so far is that, in any interview you go just be confident and speak correctly.
Dont ever get addicted to all these kind of craps, they get in your way when trying to present your speech.
JUST BE YOURSELF and remember all interviewers are not thesame and moreover they know all these things better than you.

6 Likes

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by eyenCalabar(m): 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2012
thanks for sharing
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
Just okay...5/10 cos its too concised and looks unfinished
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by inspirenet: 3:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
drzed: The kind of stuff/information that makes Nairaland great.
10/10.
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by wandeay: 3:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
Ozegbe: aren't you guys tired of all these 10 things, 15, 23 or 5 things you should say, dont say, do or dont do in an interview?
the only one thing i have learn so far is that, in any interview you go just be confident and speak correctly.
Dont ever get addicted to all these kind of craps, they get in your way when trying to present your speech.
JUST BE YOURSELF and remember all interviewers are not thesame and moreover they know all these things better than you.
at least you should know the general rules b4 attending any interview
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by cheddarking(m): 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
I would personally advice that the job-seeker should visit the toilet before his/her interview.

Sometimes nervousness can cause audible expulsions of gas from the bowels. grin

2 Likes

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Ekowise(m): 3:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
Good point from a good research.
I learnt.
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Booty4me: 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2012
Mukina long time. U go exile for front page tinz?
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Omobanie(m): 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nice one
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Chirolechick: 3:33pm On Aug 27, 2012
alamarmeen: Anybody with information on firstbank graduate recruitment run by workforce some months ago

thought that's a stale gist, which stage of the recruitment do u mean?
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Mbuko91(m): 3:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
cheddarking: I would personally advice that the job-seeker should visit the toilet before his/her interview.

Sometimes nervousness can cause audible expulsions of gas from the bowels. grin
actually funny but an aphorism....tension,uneasiness and nervousness have a way of permeating your system down to ya bowels and cause those 'unwanted' rumbles....lol...eva had experience of standing before your dad when he just caught u doing wrong or is aware of what u did and keeps prolonging the talk?
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by DonaldGenes(m): 3:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
alamarmeen: Anybody with information on firstbank graduate recruitment run by workforce some months ago
you mean the one conducted this year feb or march?
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by rodeo0070(m): 3:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
God bless your generation...
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by Beaf1: 3:41pm On Aug 27, 2012
They told me the interview can continue ONLY when i answer the salary question cheesy I tried to dodge that but negative, I had no choice but to tell them and I am happily employed.

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by DonaldGenes(m): 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2012
Imagine i went to an interview,i was so 'confi but not cocky' to the core that when they were asking me questions,the ones i couldn't reminisce full answers,i had to fire back the question at the two men,i was like 'ohh sorrry sirs,your question should hv been like this and that'' they were so astonished that what i ask 'em was right since their questions wasn't ask'd properly,
Albeit, they even ask me for my correct phone number again and again before i left the scene.

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by gbalogun(m): 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2012
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by slightlyMad(f): 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
bbpreye: So has the price of garri changed because of this?
Is your profound idiocy innate or did you work hard to achieve it?

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by skydeep(f): 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2012
Let me add a point. When your employer ask you how much they can pay you this is what you should reply
" I heard your organization is fair to their employees in terms of stipends, therefore pay me based on my qualification or pay me what you think is best for my position"

2 Likes

Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by hammedkola(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
When i went for my interview, i was not nervous at all..I was very confident and even smiling in front of my interview.
Re: Five Things To Never Say In A Job-Interview by gsmcoder: 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
anyone seeking a yob must work on all these. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Received NNPC 2019 Recruitment Invitation (who Else Is Shortlisted)? / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation / NRC Oral Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.