Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,255 members, 7,957,625 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:02 PM

Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? (1873 Views)

THE OLDEST AFRICAN PRESIDENTS: President Buhari's Position Will Shock You / Buhari Leading Other African Presidents On Social Media / Top 8 Richest African Presidents And Monarchs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by baslone: 11:25am On Aug 28, 2012
It's rare for the leader of a country to die in office. Since 2008, it's happened 13 times worldwide - but 10 of those leaders have been African. Why is it so much more common in this one continent?

Large crowds carrying candles ran alongside the hearse carrying the body of Meles Zenawi, as it made its way through Addis Ababa, on Tuesday. He had died, aged 57, after a long illness.
Earlier in the month, tens of thousands of Ghanaians attended the funeral of their late President, John Atta Mills, who had died suddenly at the age of 68.
Four months earlier, a national holiday was declared in Malawi to allow as many people as possible to attend the funeral of the late president, Bingu wa Mutharika, who had died of a cardiac arrest, aged 78.
And in January, the president of Guinea Bissau, Malam Bacai Sanha, died in a military hospital in Paris after a long illness. He was 64.

Dr George Leeson, a gerontologist from the University of Oxford, explains.

"African presidents, before they have been elected, will have led a relatively disadvantaged life, and disadvantageous lifestyle, and that will impact on their life expectancies at subsequent ages," he says. "So, once they get into the presidential office, even though they will be living a lifestyle far far far removed from their fellow citizens, which would increase their life expectancy in relation to those fellow citizens, they do have an accumulated disadvantageous lifestyle which they have to pay back on at some time."

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Callotti: 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2012
Were they healthy in the first place? cheesy
Look their faces.
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 28, 2012
Callotti: Were they healthy in the first place? cheesy
Look their faces.
LMAO! But seriously you are not far from the truth.most of them knowing their health problems still go ahead to become president all in the name of acquiring wealth which cannot solve their health problems.
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 29, 2015
wow!
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
And more have died since
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
Imperialist are poisoning African president who try to fix their country. That how they keep us unstablised and exploitable.

Nigeria has had Abacha, Yaradua and Buhari all fall ill within 19 years.
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by SalamRushdie: 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
GenBuhari:
Imperialist are poisoning African president who try to fix their country. That how they keep us unstablised and exploitable.

I knew you would be here with this your theory

1 Like

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
Why do you call it a theory?
The statistic are enough for you to form a solid conclusion.
SalamRushdie:

I knew you would be here with this your theory
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by SalamRushdie: 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2017
GenBuhari:
Why do you call it a theory?
The statistic are enough for you to form a solid conclusion.

I know you are right but sometimes they do this for our own good

1 Like

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Tell me one instance in history the action of the white man has been beneficial to any African country?
SalamRushdie:

I know you are right but sometimes they do this for our own good
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by SalamRushdie: 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2017
GenBuhari:
Tell me one instance in history the action of the white man has been beneficial to any African country?

The case of Buhari .. Buhari's lack of vision is a danger to every Nigerian believe me

1 Like

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
It easy to allege that Buhari lacks vision, I challenge you to present specific examples of his performance that led you to that conclusion.
SalamRushdie:

The case of Buhari .. Buhari's lack of vision is a danger to every Nigerian believe me
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by isalegan2: 4:35am On Aug 23, 2017
GenBuhari:

Don't forget Susan Rice and the poisoned tea she served MKO Abiola.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2017
Yes also Tunde Idiagbon, who was looking like he was looking to get back involved in politics after 1999 elections, there were many people urging Obasanjo to appoint him into an anti corruption role.
isalegan2:

Don't forget Susan Rice and the poisoned tea she served MKO Abiola.
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by fergie001: 7:49am On Aug 23, 2017
For the Nigerian leaders,
IMO,I think they were killed by RATS. shocked cool shocked shocked
Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by isalegan2: 9:25pm On Sep 03, 2017
GenBuhari:
Yes also Tunde Idiagbon, who was looking like he was looking to get back involved in politics after 1999 elections, there were many people urging Obasanjo to appoint him into an anti corruption role.

Ah I loved Tunde Idiagbon! sad

Bros, I'm not on Nairaland as much but I deserve to be on DANite list nau! Why you exclude me?

Is it "out of sight, out of mind" ni? shocked

1 Like

Re: Early Deaths: Why Do African Presidents Keep Dying In Office? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
You are already a DANite. Check well you would see your name smiley

We need you on side.
isalegan2:

Ah I loved Tunde Idiagbon! sad

Bros, I'm not on Nairaland as much but I deserve to be on DANite list nau! Why you exclude me?

Is it "out of sight, out of mind" ni? shocked

DANites are duty bound to
a) Make posts to challenge tribal bigotry,

b) Make posts to challenge agitation to breakup Nigeria,

c) Support other DANite on threads by quoting, liking and sharing sharing their posts.

d) Identify new moniker to be added to members list

e) Follow all listed Danites by clicking "follow" link on their profile page. You get to profile page by clicking on a DANite's moniker or go to url: Nairaland.com/<moniker>

f) Avoid quoting tribalists, secessionists and debating

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
illuminated93, Addy003, Ikhilor, GQman, neocortex, TheHistorian, Shaytun, sirjerry, WORDWORLD, amanda2013, wetinconsignme, freshest4live, ameri9ja, Okoroawusa, onward4life, Almaheed, genbuhari, emeenaka, Axeman2, lonelydora, LoveMachine, darkckUSA, mrdashing10, henitan24, caseless, amah91, obaamah, ediss, maximunimpact, anonynymous, maxiflexy, reel14, Clean2016, isalegan2, ilekokonit, xtianh, drabeey, jumper524, mrmystro, ahmed99, royaluc, dongrea, winterfell007, afobear, quotasystem, nabiz, deleyi20, mujtahida, stagger, Horllamideh, jnrremedy, litmus, shervydman, ikio, iykmann, limitless777
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Please copy this block of text and save it on your PC and then paste it to bottom of your posts.

Speak to wetinconsignme about joining our email list.

If you want to become a Danite, indicate your interest and you would be added to list by an active established member.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathanian A New Nigerian English Word By Nasir El Rufai / Corruption: I Come To Bury Jonathan By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo / Shekau Escapes As Faulty Ammunition Stalls Military Operation In Sambisa …boko H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.