Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums (10771 Views)

Caution Fayose - APC To Yoruba Monarchs / Okorocha Turning Imo To A Haven For Tourist & A Modern Model City (Pics) / GEJ; Phd Holder Misfired English At Enugu Campaign. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by gen2briz(m): 8:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
According to the Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, henceforth, any Imo State monarch, who speaks English in any public forum in the state, risks losing his traditional stool. He said this in Owerri, the state capital last week, while inaugurating the state’s Imo Traditional Rulers Parliament and Community Government Council.
Okorocha was later conferred with a traditional title of Eze Gburugburu of Ndigbo(ruler of all Igbo people.)
NLD WHAT YOUR VIEW ON THIS

ANY Imo State monarch, who speaks English in any public forum in the state, risks losing his traditional stool. This was the directive given by governor of the state, Rochas Okorocha last week in Owerri while inaugurating the state’s Imo Traditional Rulers Parliament and Community Government Council.

At the occasion, which saw the emergence of Eze Samuel Agunwa Ohiri as the elected chairman of the State Council of Traditional Rulers, Okorocha urged them to use the forum to project the ideals of Igbo language and culture.

The governor insisted that the native language and traditions must not be allowed to go into extinction, adding that the parliament would afford the monarchs opportunity to deal sincerely and creditably with the issue of customary cases and matters in their various domains according to the rule of law.

Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Chief Benjamin Uwajimogu, used the forum to present the Community Government Council Law Number 1 of 2012. Uwajimogu said before it was passed, it went through the rigorous legislative process, including receiving public hearing.

In his remarks, the new Commissioner for Community Government Council and Public Utility, Prof. Chima Iwuchukwu, said the inauguration was one of the best things that have happened to the state. Okorocha was later conferred with a traditional title of Eze Gburugburu of Ndigbo (ruler of all Igbo people).

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96758:okorocha-bans-monarchs-from-speaking-english-at-forums&catid=181:cityfile&Itemid=708

4 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Rossikk(m): 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2012
I support the governor in this. It is disgraceful for traditional leaders to be publicly speaking in the language of their colonial conquerors.

10 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Ikengawo: 5:27am On Aug 29, 2012
wow! Okorocha is not playing when he says he wants to revive igbo culture! the developments are revolutionary
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Afam4eva(m): 5:35am On Aug 29, 2012
This is indeed a welcome development.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by obicentlis: 6:37am On Aug 29, 2012
If care is not taken our Igbo Language will go on extinction. I love this. Owelle Rochas though was born n breed in the northern Nigeria speaks his mother tongue with distinction.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by tobechi20(m): 7:47am On Aug 29, 2012
Is dis why he spoke ibo in south korea

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Skywalker5(m): 9:57am On Aug 29, 2012
That's another way a create new jobs. employ a translator. grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by onatisi(m): 9:59am On Aug 29, 2012
well maybe he too should start speaking igbo language too when attending functions but it is a commendable step from the governor
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Afam4eva(m): 10:01am On Aug 29, 2012
tobechi20: Is dis why he spoke ibo in south korea
You mean kosovo?
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by gbanikiti(m): 10:01am On Aug 29, 2012
Nice one from my amiable governor! Our igbo language must not die! Traditional leaders must set the pace for us to follow.owelle ndi imo, o ga adiri gi mma!

Mukina,can you pls unban me? Am not used to having two usernames.thanks.--BEREM
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Aug 29, 2012
I hope other Igbo states can take a cue from Rochas. These are the kind of leaders we need in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by ebamma(m): 10:06am On Aug 29, 2012
another dictatorial tendency from rochas okorocha,if a traditional ruler wishes to speak english he can and if rochas okorocha sacks him,he can sue rochas for trying to block his freedom of speech which is embedded in our constitution

7 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Afam4eva(m): 10:07am On Aug 29, 2012
ebamma: another dictatorial tendency from rochas okorocha,if a traditional ruler wishes to speak english he can and if rochas okorocha sacks him,he can sue rochas for trying to block his freedom of speech which is embedded in our constitution
You have a point there. That's why i think total democracy may not be good for Nigeria at this point in time.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 29, 2012
ebamma: another dictatorial tendency from rochas okorocha,if a traditional ruler wishes to speak english he can and if rochas okorocha sacks him,he can sue rochas for trying to block his freedom of speech which is embedded in our constitution

There is a difference between Democracy and Demo.crazy.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by redsun(m): 10:17am On Aug 29, 2012
He should ban them from being christians too as the custodians of the land.But how about events where there are foreign guests that doesn't understand igbo?Will he be making proper provisons and footing the bills for interpreters?

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by dan55: 10:18am On Aug 29, 2012
rubbish

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by spendogram: 10:21am On Aug 29, 2012
It is sad to consider that they spoke anything other than Igbo in the first place. Good sense of judgement by Governor Okorocha. We need more actions like this.We need to believe more in what is ours.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by dan55: 10:22am On Aug 29, 2012
still rubbish

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by chyke27(m): 10:22am On Aug 29, 2012
Thanks Rochas. Ndigbo are a people who believe that their culture is inferior to whiteman's culture. They won't even teach their children Igbo language because they feel it would make them 'unrefined'. We Igbos love everything western at the expense of everything Igbo. By d way Mr Rochas, I hope ur own children speak Igbo at home.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by deshclones(m): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2012
chyke27: Thanks Rochas. Ndigbo are a people who believe that their culture is inferior to whiteman's culture. They won't even teach their children Igbo language because they feel it would make them 'unrefined'. We Igbos love everything western at the expense of everything Igbo. By d way Mr Rochas, I hope ur own children speak Igbo at home.

Bia,what is the morale of your story??/

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by curtain: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2012
This guy is tilting towards the chinese model, its called 'cultural development'. Bravo.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by spendogram: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2012
afam4eva:
You have a point there. That's why i think total democracy may not be good for Nigeria at this point in time.

Right on point. No single developed country has been built by democracy. Autocracy builds, democracy sustains.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by speeder(m): 10:29am On Aug 29, 2012
hey f0oolish dudes, he didn't say national meeting, he said traditional meetings. get over it.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 29, 2012
Very good, I hope it's the start of the revival of the Igbo language.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Eifeh(m): 10:30am On Aug 29, 2012
Ya i watch it on nta. Best gov.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Benshekari(m): 10:31am On Aug 29, 2012
If they cannot speak good in english is better to speak igbo, but Mr governor is dat the poeple need in ur state?
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Afam4eva(m): 10:34am On Aug 29, 2012
spendogram:

Right on point. No single developed country has been built by democracy. Autocracy builds, democracy sustains.
+1000

We always make the mistake of copying America and other democratic nations without looking at what these countries have been through before they adopted democracy. As far as i'm concerned democracy is not the best system for a developing nation.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 29, 2012
I really love this Okorocha guy, no homo.

This inferiority complex has gotten so high that my Igbo cousin here are shy to speak Igbo in public. The person that mentioned democracy or constitution is ignorant of social and cultural inferiority. It's your type who's trying to justify not knowing how to speak your native tongue, Anuohia.
Re: Okorocha Bans Imo-Monarchs From Speaking English At Forums by DVanguard: 10:37am On Aug 29, 2012
I LOVE THIS, PROTECTING OUR LANGUAGE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

VIPs Fly In Military Helicopters To Azazi's Burial / Tasi’u Zango Emerges Speaker Of Katsina State House Of Assembly / NDLEA Arrests 45-Year-Old Business Man For Ingesting Cocaine Wraps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.