Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,442 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

What Brings Atheists Together? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Brings Atheists Together? (2105 Views)

WHAT BRINGS” Forgiveness Of Sins? (colosians 1:14) / What Brings Breakthrough,prayers Or Sacrifice / What Brings You Joy The MOST (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 11:30am On Aug 29, 2012
few days ago, I expressed my disbelief in religion to a girl who used to know me as a christian. We were colleagues some years back and she knew me as a christian then but she was an atheist. She comes from a country in Asia that is highly atheistic.

We hadnt seen each other for over a year and after seeing each other we went to have coffee (I hate coffee angry) together. This girl hardly sows emotions due to a traditional Asian culture she grew up in. When I told her that I was done from christianity, she smiled. It was rare for her to smile at a controversial topic of religion. We both paused for a moment and looked at each other as if we both had confessed that we were in love to each other...................if at this point, you are hoping for the story to get romantic or for me to mention that we kissed, go to the romance section angry

I told this story because I have two contrasting thoughts now. ~The first thought was that getting atheist together for a convention would be difficult as atheists are only held together by a disbelief in god. However, a disbelief in god was able to start something between two platonic people.

So what can bring atheists together, is a disbelief enough or we need to have something more?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 11:59am On Aug 29, 2012
Any inputs from atheists in the house?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by onetrack(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
Humanist organizations tend to fill the role of an atheist 'mission' or an organization. They don't strictly toe the atheist line but by and large their members are atheist or agnostic, and they do engage in various activities.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
onetrack: Humanist organizations tend to fill the role of an atheist 'mission' or an organization. They don't strictly toe the atheist line but by and large their members are atheist or agnostic, and they do engage in various activities.

Thank you!

I think secular humanism can play such a role.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by onetrack(m): 2:02pm On Aug 29, 2012
In addition, the word 'humanism' is probably less threatening a word than 'atheism'. Atheism is still a pretty shocking word to use in many parts of the world; even many newly-minted atheists have trouble using that word to describe themselves (myself included, back when..). Humanist is somehow a more acceptable word to use in the general population.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 2:04pm On Aug 29, 2012
onetrack: In addition, the word 'humanism' is probably less threatening a word than 'atheism'. Atheism is still a pretty shocking word to use in many parts of the world; even many newly-minted atheists have trouble using that word to describe themselves (myself included, back when..). Humanist is somehow a more acceptable word to use in the general population.

I see.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
Can't say anything. I v never met another atheist. I don't want to, yet anyway.

Humanism.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna: Can't say anything. I v never met another atheist. I don't want to, yet anyway.

Humanism.

You're not ready to meet other atheists? Why?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 4:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You're not ready to meet other atheists? Why?

Ahh, macdaddy, that's not what I meant. I said I will attend a naija atheist convention, didn't I?

I'm not interested in looking for atheists in my vicinity right now. I live in a rather small town. I don't think there will be any.

Maybe when I'm in Lagos, or settled in Lagos, by all means, I will know some atheists. Atleast to discuss how to promote humanism and reason.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

Ahh, macdaddy, that's not what I meant. I said I will attend a naija atheist convention, didn't I?

I'm not interested in looking for atheists in my vicinity right now. I live in a rather small town. I don't think there will be any.

Maybe when I'm in Lagos, or settled in Lagos, by all means, I will know some atheists. Atleast to discuss how to promote humanism and reason.

No problem.

I will see what I can do about this atheist/humanist convention. I havent been to Nigeria in over a year. Lagos here i come!
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:

No problem.

I will see what I can do about this atheist/humanist convention. I havent been to Nigeria in over a year. Lagos here i come!

You know I opened a thread once asking how to tackle religionists. I m going to be Nigeria's foremost aggressive atheist. Beat you to it.

the advice I got was to acquire money and power. Once I do that, You will hear of me.
But if I don't, well, I will try my best with my family.smiley
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 4:53pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

You know I opened a thread once asking how to tackle religionists. I m going to be Nigeria's foremost aggressive atheist. Beat you to it.

the advice I got was to acquire money and power. Once I do that, You will hear of me.
But if I don't, well, I will try my best with my family.smiley

Yes ooo! In Naija, one needs money and power to influence and move forward!
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

Stop that your 'Ah this' and 'Ah that' you keep typing. Must you announce to everybody that you are a typical yoruba man? angry
tongue
@topic,
atheists do not have a common universal belief system. Even the humanism stuff you wrote about is not an atheistic belief system as there are atheists that do not support that school of thought.
Apart from disbelief in God, there is nothing else that atheists everywhere share the same opinion. Even theists(christians and muslims) with their religious books and doctrines don't have one single thing bringing them together, they still have sects and all what not.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
fellis:
Stop that your 'Ah this' and 'Ah that' you keep typing. Must you announce to everybody that you are a typical yoruba man? angry
tongue
@topic,
atheists do not have a common universal belief system. Even the humanism stuff you wrote about is not an atheistic belief system as there are atheists that do not support that school of thought.
Apart from disbelief in God, there is nothing else that atheists everywhere share the same opinion. Even theists(christians and muslims) with their religious books and doctrines don't have one single thing bringing them together, they still have sects and all what not.

But I'm a yoruba man faa gringrin

You are correct. No philosophy behind it. Atheists are not always humanist. Even Macdaddy isn't sure what can bring us together.

Maybe science? Aggressive progress? Intellectuality?
These doesn't particularly absorb most masses into its fold. There will always be religions. I just want all religionists to reason like you. That's how all relatively religious nations progress. People must reason!
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Avicenna:

But I'm a yoruba man faa gringrin

Bush man.
Avicenna:

You are correct. No philosophy behind it. Atheists are not always humanist. Even Macdaddy isn't sure what can bring us together.

There is no one single subject that you can all unanimously agree on, except disbelief in the existence of God. You can still have your gathering though, maybe with the intention of meeting up and getting to know each other.

Avicenna:

I just want all religionists to reason like you. That's how all relatively religious nations progress. People must reason!
Please stop swelling my head. grin
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 9:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
fellis:
tongue
@topic,

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise not to be from the 3 major tribes.......

Fellis, would you go to an atheist convention?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by truthislight: 12:12am On Aug 30, 2012
Avicenna: Can't say anything. I v never met another atheist. I don't want to, yet anyway.

Humanism.

are you afraid of them?

You just cant trust thee

no umbilical cord attached
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 30, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise not to be from the 3 major tribes.......

Fellis, would you go to an atheist convention?
I can't do that. I am not an atheist.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
truthislight:

are you afraid of them?

You just cant trust thee

no umbilical cord attached

Answer your name truthisLIGHT?

Be truthful.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 1:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis:
I can't do that. I am not an atheist.

lol....I remember some muslims praising me for wanting to see what is in a mosque. tongue

Other way around............ angry angry angry angry
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
I can't do it. I will stand out and feel too different.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis: I can't do it. I will stand out and feel too different.

Are you going to wear a burkha or something?

Other than that, youre not going to be different.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Are you going to wear a burkha or something?

Other than that, youre not going to be different.

It's a thing of the mind.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 2:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis:

Woooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhh
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 2:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis:

"To overcome fear, you have to become fear itself!"

Stupid batman quote but seems appropriate for some reason
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2012
MacDaddy01:

"To overcome fear, you have to become fear itself!"

Stupid batman quote but seems appropriate for some reason
Thanks for the batman quote but I can't do it.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by truthislight: 5:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
Avicenna:

Answer your name truthisLIGHT?

Be truthful.

cant you take a little sarcasm?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Avicenna: 5:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
truthislight:

cant you take a little sarcasm?

Ofcourse. I can.

So, take that little sarcasm about your name too.

Hehe.
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by truthislight: 5:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
Avicenna:

Ofcourse. I can.

So, take that little sarcasm about your name too.

Hehe.

lol

1 Like

Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 30, 2012
besides baal and molech ? got no idea mate
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by MacDaddy01: 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: besides baal and molech ? got no idea mate

You disappoint me! Did you forget;

-Beelzebub
-Mephistopheles
-Mammon?
Re: What Brings Atheists Together? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You disappoint me! Did you forget;

-Beelzebub
-Mephistopheles
-Mammon?
throw in Sango and Oya into the mix and we have a deal ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

s All / An Angel Fell From The Sky In London. Must Read / NASA Finds Message From God On Planet Mars‏

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.