Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

How Great Was Biblical Israel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Great Was Biblical Israel? (2085 Views)

Picture Of How Great Is Our God / How Great Is Our God - Louis Giglio (full Video HD) / Awesome God, How Great Thou Art: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 11:36am On Apr 16, 2013
Israel was supposedly Gods chosen people. How great were they in the Old Testament? How come they were never able to become a major empire like all the others around their time? They were not even able to dominate their neighbours the Egyptians shocked

If God was truly almighty, is this not evidence of His lack of capability?

1 Like

Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 16, 2013
Atheist:-D:
Israel was supposedly Gods chosen people. How great were they in the Old Testament? How come they were never able to become a major empire like all the others around their time? They were not even able to dominate their neighbours the Egyptians shocked

Yahweh was a racist who had a chosen race of jews angry

Worse, they were not even advanced as some of the Asians at the time. Where did these pagans get their advanced knowledge from?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2013

Good afternoon Atheist,

Alas, you opened a thread after a looooooooooong spell! Hope you are back fully? I kinda missed you though cheesy

Does 'domination' really prove one's strength? Even if that is the case, if the Israelites go about like Napoleon did to conquer all and sundry, won't you be justified in saying that God is one blood thirsty deity?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 1:17pm On Apr 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yahweh was a racist who had a chosen race of jews angry

Worse, they were not even advanced as some of the Asians at the time. Where did these pagans get their advanced knowledge from?

There have been a lot of advanced tribes at the time even in their region that they never dominated. They were also vassals to both Egypt and later on the Hittites.

striktlymi:

Good afternoon Atheist,

Alas, you opened a thread after a looooooooooong spell! Hope you are back fully? I kinda missed you though cheesy

Does 'domination' really prove one's strength? Even if that is the case, if the Israelites go about like Napoleon did to conquer all and sundry, won't you be justified in saying that God is one blood thirsty deity?

Hello striktlymi, I hope all is well. I am only back over the short term... I intend to spend more time in the romance section unless better debates come up grin

Your statement does not add up. God did instruct them to ethnically cleanse and dominate other tribes in the region. So why not just dominate everyone in the region and become great like promised?

The reason is because they did not have the means to do it. They dominated those they could but were incapable of dominating the greater tribes/civilisations.

Also, what about Christian kingdoms that became great by dominating other groups like the Byzantines and the Western Europeans? Was that not part of Gods plan or were they acting independent of Gods wishes.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2013

Hello striktlymi, I hope all is well. I am only back over the short term...

awwwww!!! Why na?

I intend to spend more time in the romance section unless better debates come up grin

Any better for there? I dey look for Miss Right o grin grin grin

Your statement does not add up.

How so?...*Reviews my manuscript for proof to find the missing link*

God did instruct them to ethnically cleanse and dominate other tribes in the region. So why not just dominate everyone in the region and become great like promised?

Now hold your horses my dear Atheist...slow down...let's have some proof and then I will start my defense from there smiley.

The reason is because they did not have the means to do it. They dominated those they could but were incapable of dominating the greater tribes/civilisations.

Proof first then we will review the reason afterwards.

Also, what about Christian kingdoms that became great by dominating other groups like the Byzantines and the Western Europeans? Was that not part of Gods plan or were they acting independent of Gods wishes.

Everyone is born with the will to act independently of God.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by ednut1(m): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
dont mind dem, fairytale stories, when Gengis khan was rullin, caesar too, they r nobody, dey even got wipe out from d map, till 1948 when d jews hitler shud hv killed wit british help from d evil zionist nation again, Gods chosen pple indeed
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 2:03pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:
awwwww!!! Why na?

Too many "duplicate threads". We are running out of good debating topics. I might have to make a reappearance on the Muslim board grin

striktlymi:
Any better for there? I dey look for Miss Right o grin grin grin

Boring too but just different I guess. Too many duplicate topics there too.

striktlymi:
How so?...*Reviews my manuscript for proof to find the missing link*

You state that "if the Israelites go about like Napoleon did to conquer all and sundry, won't you be justified in saying that God is one blood thirsty deity?" yet there are clear cases where such has been permitted by God.

striktlymi:
Now hold your horses my dear Atheist...slow down...let's have some proof and then I will start my defense from there smiley.

Ok....

Deuteronomy 20:16-17:

16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth.
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee

striktlymi:
Proof first then we will review the reason afterwards.

See above

striktlymi:
Everyone is born with the will to act independently of God.

Yes I agree. Were they acting in accordance with Gods wishes and plans or not? Simple question in my opinion.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by mumumugu(m): 2:17pm On Apr 16, 2013
Very great
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 2:22pm On Apr 16, 2013
mumumugu: Very great

How great could they have been if they made no direct impact on their region and were dominated and taken into exile... they couldnt even dominate the Egyptians who enslaved them before they were freed from bondage.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 16, 2013

Too many "duplicate threads". We are running out of good debating topics. I might have to make a reappearance on the Muslim board grin

Lol!!! Na you go run come back ni after team Islam show you their new moves wink

Boring too but just different I guess. Too many duplicate topics there too.

Oh, okay!

You state that "if the Israelites go about like Napoleon did to conquer all and sundry, won't you be justified in saying that God is one blood thirsty deity?" yet there are clear cases where such has been permitted by God.

Hmmm...clearly another topic!

Ok....

Deuteronomy 20:16-17:

16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth.
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee

Now we are getting to the crux of the matter...

From the passage you quoted, the relevant question I will ask with respect to the OP are:

1) Was Egypt part of the tribes the Israelites were told to do battle with? Answer is: NO!!!

2) Did they conquer the tribes they were instructed to conquer? Answer is: YES!!!

So is there any proof that these tribes were not conquered as instructed?

See above

Yes I agree. Were they acting in accordance with Gods wishes and plans or not? Simple question in my opinion.

Yes my dear Atheist, the question seem simple but inherently difficult. The simple reason why it is difficult is that you are asking me to know the mind of God at those times and also decipher the intent of those people when they went about their conquest. This is rather difficult!
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by ooman(m): 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2013
Not very great, however yahweh stole other peoples land for them on which they settled and built their greatest empire when a man who died an apatheist/agnostic, Solomon, ruled after which they deteriorated when other dumb yahweh worshiping iddiots ruled again
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
ooman: Not very great, however yahweh stole other peoples land for them on which they settled and built their greatest empire when a man who died an apatheist/agnostic, Solomon, ruled after which they deteriorated when other dumb yahweh worshiping iddiots ruled again

Can you accuse a man of stealing his own property? All the Earth belongs to God...he created it and as such is free to give whatever land to whoever he wishes.

Are you going to say that you did wrong by taken a house you built, which per chance is presently occupied by a destitute, and given it to your son?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:

Lol!!! Na you go run come back ni after team Islam show you their new moves wink

cry So no Islam board for me then. And I had some really juicy topics on their Imams, the aristocracy and the poor and how the Imams use religion to suppress the poor and enrich the aristocracy.

striktlymi: Hmmm...clearly another topic!

Could be but it buttresses my point that they could have gone all Napoleon on the world and ended up truly great. Instead we got a "supposedly great" kingdom that did nothing in its greatest era other than war with smaller tribes and get dominated by the bigger kingdoms.

striktlymi: Now we are getting to the crux of the matter...

From the passage you quoted, the relevant question I will ask with respect to the OP are:

1) Was Egypt part of the tribes the Israelites were told to do battle with? Answer is: NO!!!

2) Did they conquer the tribes they were instructed to conquer? Answer is: YES!!!

So is there any proof that these tribes were not conquered as instructed?

1) Ok. So God did not instruct them to conqueur Egypt. I see.
2) Yes and also ethnically cleansed them too. Bear in mind these Hittites are different to the actual Hittites in the Battle of Kadesh (The Empire). These Hittites were one of the tribes of Canaan.
So they conquered the smaller, easy kingdoms and avoided the larger nations. God is Great grin

Also, if they can ethnically cleanse these nations they can ethnically cleanse any nation on Earth providing God gives the command.

striktlymi: Yes my dear Atheist, the question seem simple but inherently difficult. The simple reason why it is difficult is that you are asking me to know the mind of God at those times and also decipher the intent of those people when they went about their conquest. This is rather difficult!

Ok. So how can we know if anything is right or wrong according to God? Take that method and apply it to the expansion of these kingdoms into massive global empires. Were they expanding according to Gods plan and will? Try and answer it. Most Christians prefer to duck and dive at this and similar questions.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2013

cry So no Islam board for me then. And I had some really juicy topics on their Imams, the aristocracy and the poor and how the Imams use religion to suppress the poor and enrich the aristocracy.

LWKMD!!! Unless you want to be exiled from that section...those topics will definitely be offensive, don't you think?

Could be but it buttresses my point that they could have gone all Napoleon on the world and ended up truly great. Instead we got a "supposedly great" kingdom that did nothing in its greatest era other than war with smaller tribes and get dominated by the bigger kingdoms.

Could be but what exactly is this greatness that was promised? It really has little or nothing to do with winning battles because it is demonstrated in Sacred scriptures that God even suffered the Israelites to loose a number of battles when they disobey his commands.

The greatness God promised to our father Abraham (if that's what you are referring to) has to do with him being the father of a multitude of Nations. Look around and see if that promise has not been fulfilled...we have over 1 billion Catholics out of about 7 billion people we have on Earth, we have a huge number of other Christians and Jews all claiming Abraham to be their father in faith, hence fulfilling the promise made.

If you believe that true greatness lies in the number of people killed in battle or the number of Nations conquered, then I will advice that you review your definition of what 'true greatness' really is.

1) Ok. So God did not instruct them to conqueur Egypt. I see.

Yep! If he did, Egypt would have been conquered in those days...remember that the armies of the Egyptians were conquered at the Red sea which is an indication of how easy it would have been if God had given the command.

2) Yes and also ethnically cleansed them too. Bear in mind these Hittites are different to the actual Hittites in the Battle of Kadesh (The Empire). These Hittites were one of the tribes of Canaan.

Why do I get this feeling that you are trying to derail your thread by sneaking in this topic? If you want to talk about greatness in terms of conquering Nations (which involves blood shed by the way) let's talk about it but if it is about genocide then let a new thread be created my bro wink

So they conquered the smaller, easy kingdoms and avoided the larger nations. God is Great grin

Not exactly! They conquered the Nations God instructed them to! Remember that Egypt was one of the big Nations you mentioned in the OP and they had their fair share of defeat when they tried to m*ss with the Israelites. wink

Also, if they can ethnically cleanse these nations they can ethnically cleanse any nation on Earth providing God gives the command.

Ethnic cleansing or conquering Nations? Your choose! wink

Ok. So how can we know if anything is right or wrong according to God? Take that method and apply it to the expansion of these kingdoms into massive global empires. Were they expanding according to Gods plan and will? Try and answer it. Most Christians prefer to duck and dive at this and similar questions.

Whatever is done in the spirit of right conscience can never be tagged as a sin by God. Please before you quote me, understand what I mean, then you can quote me.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by ooman(m): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:

Can you accuse a man of stealing his own property? All the Earth belongs to God...he created it and as such is free to give whatever land to whoever he wishes.

Are you going to say that you did wrong by taken a house you built, which per chance is presently occupied by a destitute, and given it to your son?

did some with common sense and emotion wrote this? even the house belong to me, I am sensible enough to know to go to court to send them out, even if I wont do that I surely will not send assassin to kill the destitutes but what did god do? he sent his assassin children to murder the inhabitants. how is that for a god who is love.

you are loosing your humanity speaking for that criminal called yahweh.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2013

They were never great. They copied most great stories of the bible from their neighbors. The 10 commandment was originally from the book of the dead. Story of Noah was a story from the "Epic of Gilgamesh", Adam and Eve story from the book of ENKIDU etc.... To crown it up they are the most racist race on the planet.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 16, 2013
ooman:

did some with common sense and emotion wrote this? even the house belong to me, I am sensible enough to know to go to court to send them out, even if I wont do that I surely will not send assassin to kill the destitutes but what did god do? he sent his assassin children to murder the inhabitants. how is that for a god who is love.

you are loosing your humanity speaking for that criminal called yahweh.

Now you are being emotional and sentimental!

Emotional blackmail do not work with me babby!
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:
LWKMD!!! Unless you want to be exiled from that section...those topics will definitely be offensive, don't you think?

Gulp.... lipsrsealed

striktlymi:
Could be but what exactly is this greatness that was promised? It really has little or nothing to do with winning battles because it is demonstrated in Sacred scriptures that God even suffered the Israelites to loose a number of battles when they disobey his commands.

The greatness God promised to our father Abraham (if that's what you are referring to) has to do with him being the father of a multitude of Nations. Look around and see if that promise has not been fulfilled...we have over 1 billion Catholics out of about 7 billion people we have on Earth, we have a huge number of other Christians and Jews all claiming Abraham to be their father in faith, hence fulfilling the promise made.

If you believe that true greatness lies in the number of people killed in battle or the number of Nations conquered, then I will advice that you review your definition of what 'true greatness' really is.

Not according to the Jews wink. Also Jesus is technically the father of Christianity and the inspiration for Islam. But the Jews never recognized him. Also, how do we know God was referring to all the Abrahamic faiths when He said those words? It sounded more like his descendants not the whole world. When did Christians and Muslims become a nation?

striktlymi:
Yep! If he did, Egypt would have been conquered in those days...remember that the armies of the Egyptians were conquered at the Red sea which is an indication of how easy it would have been if God had given the command.

Dont be naive... there are no historical or archaelogical facts to support the destruction of their army. If their army was destroyed, the Israelites would have been the least of their problems. Also, Israel were vassals to Egypt for a great deal of time and then became vassals to the Hittites after the battle of Kadesh.

striktlymi:
Why do I get this feeling that you are trying to derail your thread by sneaking in this topic? If you want to talk about greatness in terms of conquering Nations (which involves blood shed by the way) let's talk about it but if it is about genocide then let a new thread be created my bro wink

Yes, I am trying to state that God instructed them to establish their nation through genocide. So when did it become UNACCEPTABLE to commit genocide according to Christianity?

striktlymi:
Not exactly! They conquered the Nations God instructed them to! Remember that Egypt was one of the big Nations you mentioned in the OP and they had their fair share of defeat when they tried to m*ss with the Israelites. wink

Did they? I doubt it. In the bible maybe but not historically. They had Israel as a vassal a great period before and after the Hittite invasions... possibly up to the Babylonian invasion.

striktlymi:
Ethnic cleansing or conquering Nations? Your choose! wink

Read that verse... it is ethnic cleansing at its worst. It would be considered a war crime under the United Nations Human Rights Act, The Geneva Conventions on war and so many other acts etc.

striktlymi:
Whatever is done in the spirit of right conscience can never be tagged as a sin by God. Please before you quote me, understand what I mean, then you can quote me.

Ok. So answer the question. Or dont. Your choice...

what about Christian kingdoms that became great by dominating other groups like the Byzantines and the Western Europeans? Was that not part of Gods plan or were they acting independent of Gods wishes?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by ooman(m): 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:

Now you are being emotional and sentimental!

Emotional blackmail do not work with me babby!

Emotional blackmail, exactly what your god is guilty of.

Am not an emotional person tongue
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 3:53pm On Apr 16, 2013
ifeness:

They were never great. They copied most great stories of the bible from their neighbors. The 10 commandment was originally from the book of the dead. Story of Noah was a story from the "Epic of Gilgamesh", Adam and Eve story from the book of ENKIDU etc.... To crown it up they are the most racist race on the planet.

Precisely. Similar stories existed prior to theirs.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 3:55pm On Apr 16, 2013
ooman: Not very great, however yahweh stole other peoples land for them on which they settled and built their greatest empire when a man who died an apatheist/agnostic, Solomon, ruled after which they deteriorated when other dumb yahweh worshiping iddiots ruled again

Yes, he was also a vassal to Egypt at the time and was very close to many other nations in the area.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 16, 2013

Gulp.... lipsrsealed

grin

Not according to the Jews wink. Also Jesus is technically the father of Christianity and the inspiration for Islam. But the Jews never recognized him. Also, how do we know God was referring to all the Abrahamic faiths when He said those words? It sounded more like his descendants not the whole world. When did Christians and Muslims become a nation?

Does it matter what the present day Jew think? The promise was that Abraham would be the Father of a multitude of Nations and not just to the Nation of Israel...note that when God says 'multitude of nations', it shouldn't be mistaken to mean that everyone in a nation would embrace him as father.

This would be a wrong way to interpret this prophecy. It actually means that his Children would come from every nook and cranny of the Earth. That is exactly how it has been. There is hardly a country in the world today where you won't find at least one person who claims Abraham as his/her Father in faith.

Dont be naive... there are no historical or archaelogical facts to support the destruction of their army. If their army was destroyed, the Israelites would have been the least of their problems. Also, Israel were vassals to Egypt for a great deal of time and then became vassals to the Hittites after the battle of Kadesh.

Now this is quite funny! Are you saying that because presently there is no archaeological backing therefore it did not happen? Why does this kind of argument sound so familiar?

Yes, I am trying to state that God instructed them to establish their nation through genocide. So when did it become UNACCEPTABLE to commit genocide according to Christianity?

Is the thread about genocide or conquest?

Did they? I doubt it. In the bible maybe but not historically. They had Israel as a vassal a great period before and after the Hittite invasions... possibly up to the Babylonian invasion.

There is no way you can disprove that they did not!

Read that verse... it is ethnic cleansing at its worst. It would be considered a war crime under the United Nations Human Rights Act, The Geneva Conventions on war and so many other acts etc.

I don't think I mentioned anything about ethnic cleansing.

Ok. So answer the question. Or dont. Your choice...

what about Christian kingdoms that became great by dominating other groups like the Byzantines and the Western Europeans? Was that not part of Gods plan or were they acting independent of Gods wishes?

I am getting quite confused now! Is the thread about Christian conquest, genocide or about the conquest of the Bible Israelites?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 5:34pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:

grin

cry

striktlymi:
Does it matter what the present day Jew think? The promise was that Abraham would be the Father of a multitude of Nations and not just to the Nation of Israel...note that when God says 'multitude of nations', it shouldn't be mistaken to mean that everyone in a nation would embrace him as father.

This would be a wrong way to interpret this prophecy. It actually means that his Children would come from every nook and cranny of the Earth. That is exactly how it has been. There is hardly a country in the world today where you won't find at least one person who claims Abraham as his/her Father in faith.

These were the biblical Jews too. They crucified him during biblical times. If it meant the three faiths then how were the Jews Gods chosen people? Does this also apply to Islam as they hail from Abraham too?

striktlymi:
Now this is quite funny! Are you saying that because presently there is no archaeological backing therefore it did not happen? Why does this kind of argument sound so familiar?

No historical information too. A defeat that severe would have an impact on them. This would lead to other consequences. Investigate Manzikert, Teutoberg forest, Lepanto, Actium and other major defeats. There is always a follow on consequence of such defeats that are far more visible and noticeable. I will however concede that the defeat may have taken place but it is highly unlikely.

striktlymi:
Is the thread about genocide or conquest?

Both. God is almighty so genocide is unnecessary. They can be defeated by other means. So why genocide? If God instructed them to conquer the world in that manner how would they be any different to the rise of Islam that swallow many a nation in violence?

striktlymi:
There is no way you can disprove that they did not!

I agree but logic, historic records and other non biblical sources do not highlight any such victory. It is possible but unlikely. let us not digress smiley

striktlymi:
I don't think I mentioned anything about ethnic cleansing.

I mentioned a verse where God instructed the slaughter of all the tribes down to their women and children. That is ethnic cleansing.

striktlymi:
I am getting quite confused now! Is the thread about Christian conquest, genocide or about the conquest of the Bible Israelites?

Answer the question. I am referring to the fact that the biblical Israelites had Gods backing in their conquests. I would like to know if you feel that the European Christian Nations and the Byzantines (also Christian) expanded and became great according to Gods will and plan. Not too hard a question. You either know or you don't know. If you know then state why it is so?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2013

cry

These were the biblical Jews too. They crucified him during biblical times. If it meant the three faiths then how were the Jews Gods chosen people? Does this also apply to Islam as they hail from Abraham too?

Well Atheist, my theory is that all are from Abraham i.e the people of Israel and those of
Ishmael. Ishmael and Israel were both sons of Abraham and can lay claim to him as Father. Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism and all who call themselves Christians are 'mystically' connected to Abraham as their father in faith.

No historical information too. A defeat that severe would have an impact on them. This would lead to other consequences. Investigate Manzikert, Teutoberg forest, Lepanto, Actium and other major defeats. There is always a follow on consequence of such defeats that are far more visible and noticeable. I will however concede that the defeat may have taken place but it is highly unlikely.

There is no way we can conclude that the event did not occour without concrete evidence.

Both. God is almighty so genocide is unnecessary. They can be defeated by other means. So why genocide? If God instructed them to conquer the world in that manner how would they be any different to the rise of Islam that swallow many a nation in violence?

Still bent on talking about this genocide ish?

I agree but logic, historic records and other non biblical sources do not highlight any such victory. It is possible but unlikely. let us not digress smiley

I will leave logic out of this one really! Okay, no digression!

I mentioned a verse where God instructed the slaughter of all the tribes down to their women and children. That is ethnic cleansing.

But we are not talking about ethnic cleansing!

Answer the question. I am referring to the fact that the biblical Israelites had Gods backing in their conquests. I would like to know if you feel that the European Christian Nations and the Byzantines (also Christian) expanded and became great according to Gods will and plan. Not too hard a question. You either know or you don't know. If you know then state why it is so?

I believe I mentioned that I don't know what God's plan was nor do I know the intent of those who took part in those wars.
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2013
ooman:

Emotional blackmail, exactly what your god is guilty of.

Am not an emotional person tongue

Your comment proves you wrong!
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by plaetton: 8:15pm On Apr 16, 2013
The greatness of the kingdom of ancient Israel is so much like the Christian religion. It is a contrived history.

So far , no ruins of any great empire has ever been discovered.
No great temples have ever been discovered.
No great king's castles have ever been discovered.
No great treasures have ever been discovered.
No great works of pottery, poetry, literature, scribal records, tax records, coinage, diplomatic exchanges, etc have ever been discovered linking the ancient kingdom of Israel.

Infact, most archeological discoveries in that region are from other canaanite and arab cultures that had inhabited that region at various eras of history.

It does appear that Yahweh was probably doing shifting cultivation with the ancient Israelites.
lol
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by mazaje(m): 8:48pm On Apr 16, 2013

Most of what you read in the bible are NON historical. . .Even the Jews grew out of the canaanites, they are just a break away tribe based mostly on religion. . .There is NO archeological record what so ever to support the exodus narrative. the jews were never enslaved in Egypt. . .Its a myth. . .The conquest you read about in the book of Joshua is all a myth it never happened, NO archeological eveidence to support anything written in the bible. . .Even leading Jewish archeologist and historians have stated that the exodus is non historical. Archeologist have combed the entire Sinai penisula and have found nothing to support the biblical narrative. . .Nothing in the egyptian records mention the exodus or that the jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. .. . .

2 Likes

Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by ooman(m): 8:56pm On Apr 16, 2013
striktlymi:

Your comment proves you wrong!

how exactly?
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 16, 2013
ooman:

how exactly?

Check your previous comment!
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by Yooguyz: 9:50pm On Apr 16, 2013

what is the yardstick you use to determine greatness? I believe isreal is just a shadow of the real born again belivers whatever happened in the OT was blue prints for children of the new covenant to learn from
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by AtheistD(m): 6:57pm On May 10, 2013
Yooguyz: what is the yardstick you use to determine greatness? I believe isreal is just a shadow of the real born again belivers

Compare it to the mighty empires of the time. That is a good yard stick.

Yooguyz: whatever happened in the OT was blue prints for children of the new covenant to learn from

Now we know where the crusaders got their inspiration from grin

mazaje:

Most of what you read in the bible are NON historical. . .Even the Jews grew out of the canaanites, they are just a break away tribe based mostly on religion. . .There is NO archeological record what so ever to support the exodus narrative. the jews were never enslaved in Egypt. . .Its a myth. . .The conquest you read about in the book of Joshua is all a myth it never happened, NO archeological eveidence to support anything written in the bible. . .Even leading Jewish archeologist and historians have stated that the exodus is non historical. Archeologist have combed the entire Sinai penisula and have found nothing to support the biblical narrative. . .Nothing in the egyptian records mention the exodus or that the jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. .. . .

The simple truth grin
Re: How Great Was Biblical Israel? by druid06(m): 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2013
The Israelites ''Jews'' are conquering/ruling the earth in their own way. 63% of the world's richest people are Jewish or of Jewish descendant. They can tumble the world's economy just for the fun of it. Watch the movie ''Money never sleeps''. The U.S is predominantly controlled and funded by this same people so is most part of Europe. The top manufactures of arms and amuninations all over the world are own by the Jewish people. Why does the arabs have so much hatred and disdain for Americans if not for the reason as one of the reasons as stated above.

So my point is when GOD said in the Bible that the Israelites are going to be a greatest nation ever, HE did not mean that they were going to launch a bloodthirsty campaign against the world for total dominance like hitler did but as stated previously stated above is what HE meant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Building Collapse: Prophet T B Joshua is vindicated at last! (A Must Read) / Proof;women Created First Before Men / The Beauty Of Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.