Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Ijaw Religion! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ijaw Religion! (5390 Views)

114 Ijaw Reverted To Islam, Their First Congregation Prayer / So Which Is The True Religion? / The Mormon Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
let us share information about Ijaw Religon here. cool

all 9Ja tribes must unite to save our Ijaw brothers and sisters from turning into Ijew. .

Prez. Goodluck Jonathan's Ancestor in the good ol' dayz:

[img]http://4.bp..com/_FMV7MZL9_wc/S8yDmdRvdMI/AAAAAAAAACQ/_rxwQFukVGQ/s1600/iboo.jpg[/img]
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PastorAIO: 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2012
The beginning and end of Ijaw religion na Mamiwata. cheesy

Okay, I's only joking.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by Niflheim(m): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
is that a skull on the guys forehead?
Re: Ijaw Religion! by Niflheim(m): 8:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
i know that the god of war is called 'Egbesu'.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by Niflheim(m): 8:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
in my home town of bakana in degema local government of rivers state,we refer to god as Tamuno!!!but before the white men came to our village,we were into 'OPHIOLATRY',python worship!!!
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PastorAIO: 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2012
Niflheim: in my home town of bakana in degema local government of rivers state,we refer to god as Tamuno!!!but before the white men came to our village,we were into 'OPHIOLATRY',python worship!!!

Ophiolatry is connected to mamiwata, and worship of sources of fresh water.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by plaetton: 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Niflheim: in my home town of bakana in degema local government of rivers state,we refer to god as Tamuno!!!but before the white men came to our village,we were into 'OPHIOLATRY',python worship!!!

Mind you, the snake is the most worshipped creature in all cultures and in all ages.
Do you know why?
Is it a coincidence that in the bible, the liberator and benefactor of humankind was also symbolised by the snake?
Is it also a coincidence that all tradional healing homes have the serpent as their patron deity?
Is it a coincidence that the Caudacus, the symbol of medicine from far antiquity, are two serpents intertwined upon a rod of a winged disc.
This particular symbol goes all the way back the beginning of human civilization.
I believe that it represents, once again,the benefactor of humankind, the deity symbolised by the serpent in genesis.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
Niflheim: is that a skull on the guys forehead?

primate skull. but you cant deny the fact that it looks splendid on him.

Niflheim: i know that the god of war is called 'Egbesu'.

ah so that will be represented by the Red Planet Mercury.

Egbesu had a very ancient cult made immortal in Ijaw war songs.

i read this that, More recently, members of the cult, also known as the Egbesu Boys, have been fighting against authorities in the Niger Delta in response to environmental and other problems caused by oil exploitation, and lack of investment of oil revenue in the local economy. Many young men have joined the cult, undergoing secret initiations by powerful witchdoctors who impart the supernatural powers of Egbesu. The initiation involves the subject being etched with cicatrices on some hidden part of the body, and some members also wear amulets. The followers often believe the charms and the cult initiations make them bulletproof, i.e. there is some truth in this because the influencing of Spiritual forces, do tend to give a positive push/force, i.e, luck.

WOW that is splendid. most Pagan cultures give Snakes high regard. only christianity considers serpants evil and wrong. it is even popular in Dahomey.

Today Snake worship is at an all time high in South-West India, especially among the Bunt/Bantavaru and Nair Tribes. infact it is so popular, that i heard even migrant muslims into these territories who have no connection with this, are starting to secretly worship the Snakes.

i must say that there is something about snakes that pulls you. it is not like any other animal. i just dont know exactly what it is. . undecided

Pastor AIO:

Ophiolatry is connected to mamiwata, and worship of sources of fresh water.

no i dont think so. is this mamiwata some afro-caribean thing
Re: Ijaw Religion! by plaetton: 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
This is the Uoroboros, a religious, mystical and alchemical symbol of eternity and renewal, not only of physical creation, but of the soul as well.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:51pm On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton:

Mind you, the snake is the most worshipped creature in all cultures and in all ages.
Do you know why?
Is it a coincidence that in the bible, the liberator and benefactor of humankind was also symbolised by the snake?
Is it also a coincidence that all tradional healing homes have the serpent as their patron deity?
Is it a coincidence that the Caudacus, the symbol of medicine from far antiquity, are two serpents intertwined upon a rod of a winged disc.
This particular symbol goes all the way back the beginning of human civilization.
I believe that it represents, once again,the benefactor of humankind, the deity symbolised by the serpent in genesis.

i agree with all except the one about christianity.

Contemporary Christian culture identifies the snake as a symbol of evil. Snake handling is a religious ritual in a small number of Christian churches in the U.S., usually characterized as rural and Pentecostal, particularly the Church of God with Signs Following. Practitioners believe it dates to antiquity and quote the Bible to support the practice, especially:
"They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." (Mark 16:18) "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10:19)
The serpent deceives Adam and Eve in The Garden of Eden, this is most likely a reference to predating religions that were involved in snake worship.

However among the Pagans, it is popular everywhere, among the Aborigines, Native Americans, The Dogon (who carve snakes on their doors), Betisileo, Masaai, ancient Pagan Tribal Europe, etc. .

[img]http://imgv2-4.scribdassets.com/img/word_document/54118219/255x300/2db2a9a8aa/1341942450[/img]

Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:54pm On Aug 29, 2012
QuetzalCoatl of the Aztecs.

Re: Ijaw Religion! by plaetton: 11:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
^^^^^^
First the ancient hebrew word used was Nahash, translated serpent, but meaning "He who knows secrets".
It was another member of the Elohim, another deity.
But did the serpent deceive Adam?
The answer is absolutely not.
The truths that he told Adam were self evident.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PhysicsQED(m): 11:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
Where is the image in the opening post from?

I don't think that's actually Ijaw.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by plaetton: 12:00am On Aug 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
QuetzalCoatl of the Aztecs.

Yes, the plummed serpent

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:03am On Aug 30, 2012
plaetton: ^^^^^^
First the ancient hebrew word used was Nahash, translated serpent, but meaning "He who knows secrets".
It was another member of the Elohim, another deity.
But did the serpent deceive Adam?
The answer is absolutely not.
The truths that he told Adam were self evident.

EXACTLY! The Hebrews were Pagans back then but christianity and monotheistic judaism distorted all the facts, as usual. tongue

WOW AND THIS ANOTHER PROOF ABOUT THE TRUTH OF PAGANISM! NAHASH - HEBREW, NAHUSHA - INDO-SCYTHIAN SERPANT NAGA KING'S NAME AND MENTIONED IN HINDU MYTHOLOGY!
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:04am On Aug 30, 2012
now back to the Ijaws, Ijaw religious beliefs hold that water spirits are like humans in having personal strengths and shortcomings, and that humans dwell among the water spirits before being born. The role of prayer in the traditional Ijaw system of belief is to maintain the living in the good graces of the water spirits among whom they dwelt before being born into this world, and each year the Ijaw hold celebrations in honor the spirits lasting for several days. Central to the festivities is the role of masquerades, in which men wearing elaborate outfits and carved masks dance to the beat of drums and manifest the influence of the water spirits through the quality and intensity of their dancing. Particularly spectacular masqueraders are taken to actually be in the possession of the particular spirits on whose behalf they are dancing.

I think the above is due to the Ijaw's close association with water bodies.

Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:06am On Aug 30, 2012
PhysicsQED: Where is the image in the opening post from?

I don't think that's actually Ijaw.

hahaha pardon me. i just realised that man is Igbo! grin

but it doesnt matter, because Igbos and Ijaws are still quite similar, with high possibility from the same parent Ethnic group.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 30, 2012
the spiritual meaning of snake is clevernes/spiritual knowledge. You can even see that on its symbol in the bible. In vadas which is the hindus scripture mostly in india it was represented by the rising of the kundalini.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:10am On Aug 30, 2012
shivaclub: the spiritual meaning of snake is clevernes/spiritual knowledge. You can even see that on its symbol in the bible. In vadas which is the hindus scripture mostly in india it was represented by the rising of the kundalini.

in bible, it is a symbol of evil.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by plaetton: 12:36am On Aug 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

in bible, it is a symbol of evil.

Originally it was not. Ignorant and bloodthirsty Yahwehist decided to demonise the serpent beaucse the serpent was proof that yahweh was the evil deity who wanted humankind to exist in zombie-trance all their lives.

There is evidence that great wars were fought and unfortunately,the forces of evil triumphed over the forces of good.
And as expected, the victors wrote the history of humankind to suite themselves.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:12am On Aug 30, 2012
plaetton:

Originally it was not. Ignorant and bloodthirsty Yahwehist decided to demonise the serpent beaucse the serpent was proof that yahweh was the evil deity who wanted humankind to exist in zombie-trance all their lives.

There is evidence that great wars were fought and unfortunately,the forces of evil triumphed over the forces of good.
And as expected, the victors wrote the history of humankind to suite themselves.

yes i am telling you that the original Hebrews did not consider it evil. then the monotheists corrupted everything.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2012
ok i just realised who Goddess MamiWata is.

Mammy Water is a pidgin English name for a local water goddess worshipped by the Ibibio, Ijaw, and Igbo speaking peoples of southeastern Nigeria. The water goddess traditionally gives wealth and children, compensates for hardships, and is sought in times of illness and need, especially by women. Her various cults are led, predominantly, by priestesses.

here a video for fellow Nairalanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jME9fIgQMAA
Re: Ijaw Religion! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:37pm On Sep 02, 2012
Re: Ijaw Religion! by ijawcitizen(m): 2:35pm On Oct 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

hahaha pardon me. i just realised that man is Igbo! grin

but it doesnt matter, because Igbos and Ijaws are still quite similar, with high possibility from the same parent Ethnic group.

ERROR! ERROR!! ERROR!..
The Ijaws & Igbos dont have any point of intersection historically, culturally & geographically.

Our only point of intersection is the infamous slave trade and the dungeon called "nigeria"
Re: Ijaw Religion! by Sinistami(m): 8:44pm On Jul 01, 2018
ijawcitizen:

ERROR! ERROR!! ERROR!..
The Ijaws & Igbos dont have any point of intersection historically, culturally & geographically.

Our only point of intersection is the infamous slave trade and the dungeon called "nigeria"

Denial! Denial!! Denial!!! How can you say that to a neighboring tribe which you have Coexisted with for Centuries.
Re: Ijaw Religion! by ijawcitizen(m): 10:51am On Feb 07, 2019
Dreamer...you know nothing about Ijaws who still refer to igbos as birinbo ie AQUAPHOBIC PEOPLE. How then did Ijaw coexist with igbos?

Stop abusing the word COEXIST

(1) (Reply)

Problem With The Death Of Jesus. Have You Thought Of This? / "Deep" Facts About The Largest Church In Abuja. / T.B. Joshua's Emmanuel TV On Sky (UK)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.