Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,893 members, 7,821,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? (10706 Views)

Poll: The toilet seat should be: (check any option that apply)

Up: 49% (49 votes)
Down: 50% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

9 Things That Are Dirtier Than Your Toilet Seat / Toilet Infection / How To Handle Toilet Disease? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by yemivictor: 11:41am On Jan 03, 2008
This topic has been a source of concern for me of late. I mean, in the Hollywood movies you hear queries such as "why did you leave the toilet seat up"? But my primary school health science tells me differently, it tells me that the toilet seat should be left up so that the dribble from a guy's pee will not mess up the toilet seat when a girl wants to pee or anyone wants to go number 2, right?

For the sake of clarity, the toilet seat is the plastic between the toilet bowl and the lid. Useful responses only!
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by chychy(f): 1:31pm On Jan 11, 2008
who taught us how 2 use d toilet seat? oyibo abi?

when in use, it should be up (apparently) and when not in use, it should be down. If u have good toilet manners, ur pee will not stain d toilet seat.

Capische?

1 Like

Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by yemivictor: 2:41pm On Jan 11, 2008
chychy:

who taught us how 2 use d toilet seat? oyibo abi?

when in use, it should be up (apparently) and when not in use, it should be down. If u have good toilet manners, your pee will not stain d toilet seat.
Capische?

What do you mean "apparently" it should be up when not in use? And need i inform you that having good toilet manners is quite inconsistent with pee dribble which men and women (when they stand to pee while using public toilets especially) have little control over!
The essence of the good toilet manners is in determining whether the toilet seat should be up or down! And i'm beginning to think that perhaps you're mistaking the toilet "lid" for the seat!
I must also express my disappointment at how people are uninterested in this topic as it is one that affects us all!
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by savesoul(m): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2008
grin Two of you are jobless and Unserious grin
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2008
who cares, grin
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Greycells(m): 4:57pm On Jan 11, 2008
up for males and down for females. So i was told, years back.

Hope my instructor was right.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by seun001(m): 5:04pm On Jan 11, 2008
G-reycells:

up for males and down for females. So i was told, years back.

Hope my instructor was right.

spot on!
it makes sense,because u wouldn't want to sit on messed up seats.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Mant(m): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2008
Actually, toilet seat should be up after usage and down when in use. I think that is more hygienic.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by alleno: 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2008
, first i must point out that this is really a good post.
, let the guru's who visit the Throne Room more often let us know which is correct.
, i feel that the seat should be up during use and down when not in use, that should be correct!
, besides the Tissue is there for those who need to the "extra hygenie", CLEAN THE THRONE BEFORE, the last ruler may not have been well organized.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by anusule(m): 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2008
it should be up. i actually learnt it last year. grin
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Guk: 5:30pm On Jan 11, 2008
It is Decent and Proper that when a Man goes to pee, he lifts up the seat & when he's done he places it back.

A woman ought to use use the toilet seat in a down position, but is advised to use a Bidet, if one is available.

You would usually find "Horseshoe" type like seats in public places so that the man need not lift the seat.

Caveat is that you take some Toilet paper, damp it with Sprinkles of water and wipe the toilet seat WELL before using it.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by chychy(f): 5:39pm On Jan 11, 2008
I'm sorry i got it all mixed up.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by ifyalways(f): 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2008
be it up or down ooh i wipe it with tissues before i use.

@topic i think it should be up for the gents,down for the ladies.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by BabyCakes(f): 5:46pm On Jan 11, 2008
This post is all as a result of modernisation oh! people who use pit latrines dont care if there's even a seat! cheesy The best way is to leave the lid down when not in use, but the actual seat should be UP for men, and DOWN for women. I have seen men Pee with the seat down and mess it all up and walk away!!! How revolting!!! lipsrsealed personally I never sit on public toilets for fear of catching Gono campus and Gono yoyo! grin
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by mendax: 6:08pm On Jan 11, 2008
i'm wondering why both men and women shouldnt sit on the toilet seat. it would make more sense since no one wil then be accused of messin anything up.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Guk: 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2008
Talking about this, how do you avoid the Toilet Water splashing on your bum when you drop a "grenade?"
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by BlackMamba(m): 6:41pm On Jan 11, 2008
The reason toilet seat should be down is to take care of the needs of women. Gentlemen should be able to lift the seat to pee and replace it afterward for the convenience of our ladies. You might make the argument as to why women should not put down the seat before peeing, but reasonable men should not get into a debate of who is right or wrong over mundane issues like toilet seat position. Moreover, the traditional position of a toilet seat is down for the most important function of "shitting"

1 Like

Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by sleekdot(m): 6:47pm On Jan 11, 2008
up now 4 d males
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by seun001(m): 6:54pm On Jan 11, 2008
mendax:

i'm wondering why both men and women shouldnt sit on the toilet seat. it would make more sense since no one wil then be accused of messin anything up.

why do i get the feeling that you are gay. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked grin wink
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by TayoD1(m): 7:11pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Guk,

Talking about this, how do you avoid the Toilet Water splashing on your bum when you drop a "grenade?"
Oh my God! I'm reeling with laughter here. But why do you have to say this when I am trying to have my lunch! You won't ruin my appetite, I no go gree!!
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by princeonx: 7:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
Both men and women should have equal share so let not drag about up or down and just leave it in the middle grin
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by sweetonyx(m): 7:18pm On Jan 11, 2008
seun001:

why do i get the feeling that you are gay. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked grin wink
   ahhhhhhhhhhhh grin I got dat
@topic
Am sure we'll all agree dat the house's done justice to it smiley
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by shabangur(m): 7:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
There's no rule for this.It's up to the user.I normally leave the seat up,no reason behind that.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by akara(m): 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2008
grin
This is a serious issue. It almost caused the break up of a relationship.
Guys always leave the seat down after use. Some ladies take it very personal if left up.
undecided
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by zheroes(m): 7:48pm On Jan 11, 2008
its should be down always, the ceramic body is always too cold to sit on so the plastic should be down, guys should squat like the females when they want to pee so they don't mess up the seat.  grin  grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Guk: 8:51pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Guk,

Oh my God! I'm reeling with laughter here. But why do you have to say this when I am trying to have my lunch! You won't ruin my appetite, I no go gree!!

I think comments on that (Toilet Water splashing on your bum when you drop a "grenade) is equally hygenically important as soiled toilet seat.
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Jan 11, 2008
Throw toilet paper into the toilet before you start?
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Boondoggle(m): 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2008
Personally, I prefer both seat and lid down when not in use, and when men want to pee they should lift the seat and do their thing and them put them down.  Meanhwile, I came across this interesting paper - The Troublesome Toilet Seat: Up or Down? Three Schemes - on the net. This paper comes complete with data, statistics, graphs, computer simulation etc and all these still on the issue of toilet seat that some considered mundane. Please take time to visit the link below for the paper:

http://www.speech.sri.com/people/anand/toiletseat/index.html

Guk:

LOL . . . . .I guess this is better discussed in a thread of its own.

Shalom cool
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by sagitarius(m): 9:21pm On Jan 11, 2008
funny enough, i've never really cared abt it. How weird
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
ROFL. Watta douchey topic smiley
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by rickii(f): 9:42pm On Jan 11, 2008
this is just lyk d weirdest topic ever, ill advice that if ur in an oyibo congested area u rily should put it down if not do wateva u damn lyk i fink leavin it down makes the toilet seat look better especially if its all those furry,cute ones, nt d the plastic ones, gosh, i cnt believe im talkin bout this , how creppy
Re: Should The Toilet Seat Be Up Or Down? by TheSly: 9:56pm On Jan 11, 2008
Oh no!

why the **** did i click on this topic when i was eatin! now i have lost appetite immediately after readin sum of this weird ass toilet sh*!s . . . . . .ewww embarassed embarassed cry cry cry wat a weird ass topic! embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

(1) (2)

WHO Endorses Use Of HIV Medicines For Prevention / Drugs That Can Stop Loss Of Blood Due To Disvirginity? / Over 20,200 Babies Born In Nigeria On New Year Day- UNICEF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.