Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Parents With Young Children And Phones - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents With Young Children And Phones (13467 Views)

Giving Out Young Children (girls) As Maids - Your Take On This / Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? / Is It Wise For Parents To Bath With Their Young Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
For Parents With Young Children. Do You Still Use Expensive Phones?

My nearly 7 month old son prefer our phones to any of his toys, and shrieks every-time we try to make him give them back. Now one of my phones is already with the repairers as he has filled that with so much saliva, that if anyone calls, it would sound like rain.. My other phone (not as expensive) is now his new best friend, though i try to take it away from him sometimes. He will not let it rest especially when he catches me talking to anyone with it.. A friend of mine told me one of her children broke her bb screen and she is yet to fix the phone, §he cant buy any more expensive phones cus according to her " the children will still spoil it". My husband too is of the same view, and also jokingly pointed out that no matter how expensive the phones cost, by the time it is thrown into water, the parents of such a child can never kill that child because of it.. So my question here is do you parents still use expensive phones? if you do, how come you are still able to use one?
thanks. grin

8 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Seun(m): 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2012
Can't expensive phones be kept where young children can't reach them? For example, your pocket, handbag, or on tall cupboards? :-)

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
haba seun! if you are in your house, will you keep your phone in your bag?
besides my son cries for it especially wen he sees me talking with it. And there are also children who can unbelieveably climb every corners of their house once they see anything that interests them.

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Seun(m): 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2012
Perhaps your son does not have enough toys. If he has plenty of shiny electronic toys, I believe he won't lust after your phones!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
ooo yes he does!.. but he has special preference to cell phones.. it doesnt matter whose.. as long as he hears a ringtone.. Besides it doesnt happen to me alone.. my friend's daughter (then she was a year and half) wrestles phones even with strangers, crying " my heyoo" and she and the older sista would ask anyone receuving calls in their presence" who's that" very funny kids.
maybe the children sees it as part of their toys.
even my son doesnt like toys very much, he prefers my phone, wallet, glass case, remote control, his pillow, and my toes( yea beats me too).. lol!.

8 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by blank(f): 4:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
Na so we see am o.

He dropped my husband's bb into the toilet.
Dropped his back up phone into the toilet.
Spoilt my Nokia touchscreen such that I can't use the touch thingy.
Spoilt his nanny's phone twice!
Immediately he hears any phone ring, the way he will take off to get it you will think he is competing in the Olympics.

His favourite pastime now is for him to throw the phone/remote on the ground so the battery can come out and he can pretend to put it back. You will think with all the toys he has that run on batteries he would just leave the phone alone but noooo.

We took to keeping our phones/remote on top of the TV on the wall bracket. One day, I saw him climb unto the TV stand and actually jump at the phone when it started ringing, all of this with great speed.

Funnily enough, he doesn’t like all them dull phones e.g. starcomms et al that are not colour screens or expensive looking.

9 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 8:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
blank: Na so we see am o.

Immediately he hears any phone ring, the way he will take off to get it you will think he is competing in the Olympics.

His favourite pastime now is for him to throw the phone/remote on the ground so the battery can come out and he can pretend to put it back. You will think with all the toys he has that run on batteries he would just leave the phone alone but noooo.

We took to keeping our phones/remote on top of the TV on the wall bracket. One day, I saw him climb unto the TV stand and actually jump at the phone when it started ringing, all of this with great speed.

Funnily enough, he doesn’t like all them dull phones e.g. starcomms et all that are not colour screens or expensive looking.
I laughed so hard when i saw this... ur son must be quite a handful..
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by zayhal(f): 8:11am On Aug 31, 2012
No matter how much or how attractive children's toys are, they usually prefer phones to their toys. Even if you get them phones toys that rings, has lights, it's yours they still want.

But I think we should be more concerned about letting these kids get phones into their mouth, this is not good for their health at all. If a baby could soak a phone with saliva it means he/she must have swallowed lots of dirts on the phone. So while trying to prevent our phones from spoiling, we should also have in mind that we're preventing the kids from swallowing germs especially those below age 1.

Initially I also said I won't use expensive phones anymore but I realised that even if I use nokia 3310, it'll still attract them and the fear of them putting it in mouth and acquiring germs is no less, so now I use any phone I like but keep them away from the kids. If after calling my baby reaches out for it, I firmly tell him 'No' and quickly finds him another toy or do something funny to distract him. The downside of this is that at times, I get some missed calls and have to call those people back but I don't really mind as long as my baby is free of phone germs and my phone is free of baby wrecking it.

I think the reason these children find our phones so attractive is because of the way a lot of people carry the phones about, to the toilet, kitchen when cooking, garden, everywhere. They see that it's almost as important if not more than them (children) ‎​ℓoℓ‎​.

12 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Tgirl4real(f): 10:45am On Aug 31, 2012
Warfibabe: ooo yes he does!.. but he has special preference to cell phones.. it doesnt matter whose.. as long as he hears a ringtone.. Besides it doesnt happen to me alone.. my friend's daughter (then she was a year and half) wrestles phones even with strangers, crying " my heyoo" and she and the older sista would ask anyone receuving calls in their presence" who's that" very funny kids.
maybe the children sees it as part of their toys.
even my son doesnt like toys very much, he prefers my phone, wallet, glass case, remote control, his pillow, and my toes( yea beats me too).. lol!.

U can't separate kids from mobile fones. It attracts them and believe me, even at that age, they know the difference between a toy mobile fone and the real one. We had to give my baby an old land (mobile) fone for her use and it thrills her whenever the light comes on. When she reaches for mine, I quickly give her her own and she is content with it.

Now, she knows not to mess with mum and dad's fones, but you will still find her struggling with you when receivinga call so that she can at least say "hello", "fine", and "bye-bye".lol

It's fun.

Wear a jacket for your fone and try to keep them out of reach when you are not with them.

4 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2012
zayhal: No matter how much or how attractive children's toys are, they usually prefer phones to their toys. Even if you get them phones toys that rings, has lights, it's yours they still want.

But I think we should be more concerned about letting these kids get phones into their mouth, this is not good for their health at all. If a baby could soak a phone with saliva it means he/she must have swallowed lots of dirts on the phone. So while trying to prevent our phones from spoiling, we should also have in mind that we're preventing the kids from swallowing germs especially those below age 1.

Initially I also said I won't use expensive phones anymore but I realised that even if I use nokia 3310, it'll still attract them and the fear of them putting it in mouth and acquiring germs is no less, so now I use any phone I like but keep them away from the kids. If after calling my baby reaches out for it, I firmly tell him 'No' and quickly finds him another toy or do something funny to distract him. The downside of this is that at times, I get some missed calls and have to call those people back but I don't really mind as long as my baby is free of phone germs and my phone is free of baby wrecking it.

I think the reason these children find our phones so attractive is because of the way a lot of people carry the phones about, to the toilet, kitchen when cooking, garden, everywhere. They see that it's almost as important if not more than them (children) ​ℓoℓ​.
i think the drooling helps to prevent the children from swallowing the dirt. I was particularly worried about giving my child any toy to play with cus of the dirt and all, but my doctor told me not to worry as the drooling helps. Besides there is little you can do to stop the children from putting things into their mouth, except to keep the surroundings clean. grin
zayhal: No matter how much or how attractive children's toys are, they usually prefer phones to their toys. Even if you get them phones toys that rings, has lights, it's yours they still want.

I think the reason these children find our phones so attractive is because of the way a lot of people carry the phones about, to the toilet, kitchen when cooking, garden, everywhere. They see that it's almost as important if not more than them (children) ​ℓoℓ​.
i think the drooling helps to prevent the children from swallowing the dirt. I was particularly worried about giving my child any toy to play with cus of the dirt and all, but my doctor told me not to worry as the drooling helps. Besides there is little you can do to stop the children from putting things into their mouth, except to keep the surroundings clean.
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Warfibabe(f): 9:55am On Sep 01, 2012
Tgirl4real:

U can't separate kids from mobile fones. It attracts them and believe me, even at that age, they know the difference between a toy mobile fone and the real one. We had to give my baby an old land (mobile) fone for her use and it thrills her whenever the light comes on. When she reaches for mine, I quickly give her her own and she is content with it.

Now, she knows not to mess with mum and dad's fones, but you will still find her struggling with you when receivinga call so that she can at least say "hello", "fine", and "bye-bye".lol

It's fun.

Wear a jacket for your fone and try to keep them out of reach when you are not with them.
lol. . Thanks. . yesterday we bought him his own toy phone and he seem excited by it. I really do hope it stays that way. But what is it with children and phones? My friends say the same thing about their children. Lol!.
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by JallowBah(f): 4:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
I do think its much because they see us talking on them, carrying them arounnd, so they understand that its something WE like, and well..kids want to be and do like we dowink
My husband gave our child an old phone, with a sim-card in, to play with. No money on it, though, and we had to check that she didnt push buttons for emergency calls..we would call it now and then, and she lovedd it.
Still, whenever my phone rings, she runs over, saying "halloooo?" and "heiaaaaa!" ( norwegian language for hello and hi ), and tries to take it from me.

They learn fastwink
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by vanbonattel: 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
blank: Na so we see am o.

Funnily enough, he doesn’t like all them dull phones e.g. starcomms et al that are not colour screens or expensive looking.

You sound like the kid has no control.

1 Like

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Basquiat: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2012
#Just Passing. grin
I'm Neither Married Nor Have Any Kid Of My Own.
But I'll Smack Any Kid That Tampers With My Phone. angry
The Cost Of My Iphone 4 And Bold 4 No Be Garri cheesy

#SAMO

1 Like

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by vanbonattel: 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
Basquiat: #Just Passing. grin
I'm Neither Married Nor Have Any Kid Of My Own.
But I'll Smack Any Kid That Tampers With My Phone. angry
The Cost Of My Iphone 4 And Bold 4 No Be Garri cheesy

#SAMO

Typical singles response, your type cannot even beat a child, your type will even cry when your child cries tongue

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 01, 2012
Hehe. A Blackberry Porsche in water. Impressive. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Dubemkelly(m): 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2012
Children really luv cell fons, seeing mum talking wen nobody z physically present wt her,mum laffs,chuckles n gets excited, dey demselves r left in wonder land nd dey wud all wonder d kind of fun mum enjoys on fon nd wud like 2 hv a taste, u may think dey dnt knw n see tinx buh dey hv magnetic n smart brains...I knw of a lil couz of myn,can't imagine d tug of war I xperience yle struggling over my fon wen she sees n demnds 4 it
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by bbpreye2: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2012
I just wonder how this silly thread makes the front page
Later when we ask how it affects the price of something in the. Something seun will ban us!
This thread is the most use.less thread av ever read on nairaland
Dammmmmm! Seun I don't know y u dropped a comment
Maybe u're trying to reduce the number of people following the ga*** movement.
But it will not work!
He who has not eaten ga*** before should cast the first ban!

But seriosly how does this................. In the market? Fill in the blank spaces!

President

5 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by tellwisdom: 5:53pm On Sep 01, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by pingpong1: 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2012
Seun: Perhaps your son does not have enough toys. If he has plenty of shiny electronic toys, I believe he won't lust after your phones!

Too much programming has removed Seun from family realities. Kids love mobile phones. The real ones, not toys. Get them the whole of Disney Land, they'd still want your mobile phone.
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 01, 2012
Check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Pimples(m): 6:04pm On Sep 01, 2012
MY neighbors kid seems to have been programmed to operate phones from his mother's womb...
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
.bbpreye:
I just wonder how this silly thread makes the front page
Later when we ask how it affects the price of something in the. Something seun will ban us!
This thread is the most use.less thread av ever read on nairaland
Dammmmmm! Seun I don't know y u dropped a comment
Maybe u're trying to reduce the number of people following the ga*** movement.
But it will not work!
He who has not eaten ga*** before should cast the first ban!

But seriosly how does this................. In the market? Fill in the blank spaces!

President

Oga seun has made nairaland a joke, d sect has gained more followers.
Re: Parents With Young Children And Phones by Basquiat: 6:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
van bonattel:

Typical singles response, your type cannot even beat a child, your type will even cry when your child cries tongue

LMAO cheesy
"I Don't Know How To Beat Children" - that's what my dad often tells my mom whenever we misbehave. She wants my dad to do the beatings but he's just not the type. The beatings I received as a child were mainly from school teachers and barely from my mom.
Those days we don't abuse our parents.
But children of these days need strict discipline or else kids might end up punching adults in the face.
I'll be lenient with my kids though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Nick Vujicic And Family (photos): God Is Good / Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. / We Love You Caitlyn Jenner!!!! When Your Father Becomes A WOMAN!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.