Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? (8504 Views)

The Wonder Of Seat Belts / Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Freiburger(m): 8:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
I'm curious about this, i will like to know if these kind of laws are in place in Nigeria.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 30, 2012
^^^ They should be in place, though like most laws in Nigeria, I doubt they're actively enforced.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Lexusgs430: 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2012
Read Nigerians highway code.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by infolpf: 6:59pm On Sep 09, 2012
Child car seats are not, to the best of my knowledge, required by law in Nigeria.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by keyremotes(m): 12:06am On Sep 18, 2012
Even if the Nigerian law has no provision for var seats and boosters wisdom should instruct us.
12 years is the age a child can seat in the front seat of any motor vehicle and seat without a car/booster seat.

Please read the instruction pasted on the 2 visors in your vehicle.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 6:41am On Sep 18, 2012
They exist, but the limit is determined by age, not by height (I believe it is 5 years & below for child car seat & 12 years and below must sit @ the back).

There are road safety laws that exist on the books, but were not being strictly enforced. A few years ago the FRSC decided to enforce compliance with these laws. They started with the seat belt laws (circa 2004), then the crash helmet laws (circa 2008) and then the child safety laws (2010).

However, whilst the Police and LASTMA backed the FRSC in enforcing the seat belt and crash helmet laws, I've not heard anything from them regarding the child safety laws (which might explain why there's not as much awareness/compliance with the child safety laws as there is with the seat belt and crash helmet laws).

In 2010, the FRSC launched a public enlightenment campaign on the issue. There were articles in newspapers, discussion programmes on radio and tv, etc. However, I searched for a link to the issue and only got one. It was posted on another Nigerian forum and since I suspect that the anti-spam bot (Pyguru) will ban me if I post the link, I'll post the article without posting the link.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 6:45am On Sep 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Bad news for delinquent motorists
... As FRSC vows to enforce child car seat laws
[/size]

By TESSY IGOMU
Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Are you in the habit of driving around with children in your car without having them strapped at the back in safety car seats? Well, you may want to reconsider the habit. Due to the increasing number of infant deaths in car crashes, the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Lagos State Command, says it will soon begin to clamp down on parents who indulge in such practices.

The decision isn’t without justification. Several deaths and injuries involving helpless kids are being recorded across Nigeria and the FRSC says it is determined to halt the trend.

Bimpe, her husband and their six-month-old baby were returning from a social function when their car had a head on collision with another vehicle somewhere in Ajah, Lagos.

The baby who was sleeping on Bimpe’s lap was immediately ejected through the windscreen. He died on the spot.
According to the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Bimpe and her husband only suffered minor injuries because they were restrained by their seat belts, while the baby died because there was nothing to hold him back during the impact.

Across the country, children are regularly maimed or killed in road accidents. The fatalities happen because parents or guardians fail to adhere to road safety precautions for transporting children.

Many of these deaths and injuries could have been prevented if the children were restrained by baby seats that are suitable for their sizes and weight and are securely fitted.

Seat belts on their own are less effective for children because they are primarily designed for adults. In a crash, a child may slide under an adult belt because the lap strap is too high over their abdomen. It could also cause serious internal injuries.

Car accident, according to reports, is one of the leading causes of acquired disability like brain injury and paralysis in children. The National Centre for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA), USA, said approximately 20 per cent of children who die in car accidents annually are killed because they were not strapped in car seats. This means that on any given day nearly 700 children are harmed due to road accidents. Also, out of 250,000 kids injured each year, approximately 2,000 die from their injuries, while children make up about 5 per cent of total fatalities in car accidents.

Not only is an unrestrained child a potential distraction to a driver but also the failure to use a car seat dramatically increases the chance of a child suffering serious injury or death.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a properly installed and used child safety seat lowers a child’s risk of death by 71 per cent for infants and by 54 per cent for toddlers between the ages of 1 to 4.

FRSC Sector Commander in Lagos State, Mr. Jonas Agwu, says it is not appropriate to have children under 12 years sit in the front seat of a moving car. Even car manufacturers, he noted, have repeatedly warned against such acts because airbags, located in the front of vehicles cab automatically kill a child on impact.

“Infants are expected to be placed backing the adult seat in front. Parents are also expected to strap their children in approved child safety seats but compliance rate is almost zero,” he lamented.

Nigerians, he said, have out of attitude, not ignorance, killed their children, adding that parents would use seat belts and ignore the safety of their own children.

He noted that Nigerians tend to see seat belt and car seat as an alien culture but fail to realise that safety and even accident has no boundary.
His words: “Some people would say car seats are expensive but I usually ask them, what is the value of their baby? Why spend two million to buy a car and then think buying a car seat for N20, 000 is expensive? Lagosians are not ignorant but rather have an attitude problem. How would a couple strap themselves and leave their baby at the back unstrapped. If I deserve to be alive, my baby also deserves to live too. The seat belt and children car seat is for safety. This is the mindset the FRSC is out to change.

“The National Road Traffic Regulation of 2004, Section 53, 3 and 4 says that when a vehicle is in motion, everybody in the vehicle must be strapped. The section did not draw a line between an adult and a baby. Everybody should use the belt. I am not sure you will get nine out of ten people who would tell you the seat belt is meant to prevent an accident. I believe we would be able to break that attitude that prevents people from thinking safety and safety for their baby.”

The FRSC boss further noted that though there is no exact statistics on the number of children involved in road accident but the fact that it can happen should put fear in the heart of parents. “Must we wait until it happens to us before we take steps towards preventing it”, he asked.

Mr. Agwu explained that often times when an accident occurs involving adults and children, they might have been helped out of the wreckage before FRSC officials arrive. This, he said, necessitated the government to make a law compelling people involved in an accident to inform the appropriate authorities.
“Most times, it is a little difficult to get the exact data. I believe that when Nigerians comply with the new law about reporting accidents, we would be able to have a reliable data on the number of infants involved in crashes. Getting the exact number by simply analysing road accident data might be a little tricky.”

Apathy on the part of Nigerians, especially Lagosians towards child safety, is saddening, says Agwu. He added that the need to raise the awareness gave rise to the ‘Child Passenger Safety Campaign’ which involves Celebrity Special Marshals and NGOs in Lagos.

“We flagged off the campaign on February 11, 2010, invoking the provision of the National Road Traffic Regulation of 2004, Section 53, 3 and 4. The strategy adopted so far has been effective and we are gradually seeing changes. We now have more vehicles on the road with car seats and children strapped in them.

“Any child under 12 years should be put at the back seat, strapped in a car seat. Those above 12 should have booster cushion fitted for them to help position seat belt and improve view from the car. We have seen people commit blunders by strapping their baby in a car seat without the car seat itself being strapped by seat belt. The right thing to do is to first strap the car seat properly with the seat belt, and then use the seat belt in the car seat to strap the baby. In the event of a crash, the baby is restrained by the car seat belt and the baby’s car seat.”
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 6:57am On Sep 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Why we support road safety campaigns –Students[/size]

MOJEED ALABI 03/05/2012 07:15:00

Half of the world’s estimated seven billion population is said to be non-adults, and sociologists have categorised them as effective change agents. Hence, the Wellspring College’s decision to launch a Junior Road Safety Club for its pupils to step up campaigns for full compliance of road traffic rules. MOJEED ALABI reports.

In a novel way of demonstrating their basic understanding of road traffic regulations, the drama group of the Road Safety Club had presented dramatic plays before an audience that witnessed its official inauguration. The more captivating aspect was a one-on-one interview presentation where a teenage girl presenter asked her guest, series of traffic related questions.

In what the immediate past Lagos State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Mr. Jonas Agwu described as didactic and inspiring, the student reeled out usual causes of auto accidents, including over-speeding, non-use of seat belts, drinking of alcohol before driving, overloading, keeping below 12-year-old kids in front of cars and making phone calls, while driving, among several others.

They also interpreted about 10 road signs and signals, which explained situations like narrow bridge ahead, roundabout, children crossing, turning not permitted, and tutored the spectators on other areas like speed limit, air bag use, sitting arrangement for types of vehicles and other important information necessary for road users and particularly drivers.

“I am sure if as adults we are given two days to memorise what this kid has just effortlessly discussed here we would find it very difficult to do. I am not just surprised but dazzled by the quality of the presentation and the message ingrained,” Agwu commented.

Speaking further on the importance of co-opting teenagers in the campaign against traffic rules abuse, Agwu explained that innocent children usually fall victims of excesses of parents “and if these children can differentiate between rights and wrongs they can influence their parents.”

He narrated a ugly scene he witnessed earlier same day where a young family man with two kids of about three to seven year-olds drove against traffic along Ketu road. “The younger kid was seated between his laps while the other was sitting on the passenger’s seat beside him. When we stopped him, he said the baby had been crying ceaselessly. I only told him what my mother used to tell me that ‘tears don’t kill babies.’ Would it not be worse if he should lose the two innocent kids to an avoidable accident?” he said rhetorically.

Also speaking on the importance of securing a child was the Chief of Staff, 9th Mechanised Brigade, Ikeja Military Cantonment, Colonel Ginikanwa Nwosu, who emphasised the importance of educating children as a form of security measure.

The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) was represented by Mrs. Seriki Omowumi, who discussed how the agency has contributed immensely to the ongoing traffic control transformation in the state.

The school proprietor and the principal, Mr. Daniel Isimoya and Mrs. Oluwayemisi Oloriade, respectively, expressed their satisfaction at the success recorded during the programme. While appreciating the partnership enjoyed from the road traffic officials, including the Vehicle Inspection Office of the state’s Ministry of Transport and the Kick Against Indiscipline agency, they said the step was in line with the school’s vision of building total students, who would contribute to the rebuilding of the nation.

To ensure that the club lives up to expectation, the management promised it would ensure regular meetings, discussions and workshops for the members while it would also constantly hold public campaigns.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/education/38859.html
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2012
Common sense would dictate parents use appropriate child restraints with their children. The front seat in a car with a passenger airbag is a no-no, unless the airbag can be deactivated. I see cars here in the UK with Nigerian families, and some parents actually allow their kids to stand on the rear seat, facing rearwards!
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by infolpf: 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
Absolutely, children in cars should be restrained at best with a car seat (depending on the age and size) or at worst, seat belts. To the OP's question though, is there a CHILD SEAT requirement in Nigeria at this time? I think the law specifies seat belt restraints and vehicle placement, not car seats. The FRSC campaign quoted above is quite simply an awareness campaign, not an enforcement of known law. That being said, it is clear that the FRSC have not really thought this through - requiring parents to place children under 12 yrs in a car seat or booster? Child restraints are rated by height and weight, not age! Look around, most kids over the age of 7/8 could not possibly fit into a booster seat. My 4 year old who is almost 4 feet tall and 60lbs has already outgrown his child seat! I imagine we can only use a booster for another 1 or 2 years max. It would be a joke to require us to place him in a booster till he is 12!
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 8:45am On Sep 25, 2012
naptu2:

Bimpe, her husband and their six-month-old baby were returning from a social function when their car had a head on collision with another vehicle somewhere in Ajah, Lagos.

The baby who was sleeping on Bimpe’s lap was immediately ejected through the windscreen
Eewwww

I was gonna post this topic till I 'StumbledUpon' this. Thanks for the 2 articles @naptu2 - I've been searching for the relevant laws concerning this.

I mean, what are people thinking? It's customary for Nigerians to 'wash' a new vehicle and then pray, "may we not kill anyone with this vehicle, may we not have accidents" bla bla bla but we're distancing our prayers from our actions.

It's really annoying when I see this on our roads today. Some even consider it 'fashionable' - seeing such kid in an expensive vehicle for example, except the owner is a robber or the sorts, one would expect their level of education to apply to basic safety rules.

As usual, Nigerians are also of the habit of not reading manuals, we seem to be proving the theory of "put in a book if you wanna hide it from them" right.

Methinks many are thriving in ignorance.

https://www.nairaland.com/989551/dont-let-happen-child-pics
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 25, 2012
Mustay: As usual, Nigerians are also of the habit of not reading manuals, we seem to be proving the theory of "put in a book if you wanna hide it from them" right.

Methinks many are thriving in ignorance.

The failure (refusal?) to read manuals is all too true, sadly.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 8:58am On Sep 25, 2012
@naptu2 Which reporter carried the report "Bad news for delinquent motorists ... As FRSC vows to enforce child car seat"?

I can only see it on NBF online. Can I please get which newspaper featured it and the link?

In spite of sustained campaigns by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) to promote safety on the Nigerian highways, LEADERSHIP SUNDAY, findings reveal that most road users still throw every caution to the winds while driving. Such people find it very difficult to adhere to the rules of child road safety. Kehinde Ajobiewe and Chibunma Ukwu write

It is common to see a child in the front passenger seat of a car without a seat belt on. Meanwhile the driver of the vehicle which could be either of the parents or the family driver is strapped with his seat belt. This sight goes a long way to show just how careful adults could be with the children. The adults prefer to protect themselves against the hazards of the roads but do not think it is necessary to give equal protection to the children. Parents have the mentality that it is only children between the age of 1 year and below that need to be strapped carefully in their special car seats while in a vehicle. Children above 1 year are usually left carelessly to jump around inside the vehicle while the parents and other adults are carefully strapped with seat belts for the fear of being arrested by Federal Road Safety Officers.
Parents are not the only ones who have neglected the duty of child safety on Nigerian roads. It has also been observed that both primary and secondary schools within the country don’t pay attention to the issue of child road safety as they convey their pupils in buses without making efforts to strap them with seat belts while the driver and teachers carefully strap themselves Also, parents allow their children to jump around inside the moving vehicles when the adults are safety strapped and protected with seat- belts. In an effort to change this attitude of child neglect on the road, and to complement the efforts of the Federal Road Safety Commission -FRSC, a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), the Arrive Alive Road Safety Initiative (AARSI) put together a child safety campaign called “click it: why risk it”.

The NGO which has its base in Lagos also involved the Universal Board of Education (UBE) in Abuja, with a promise to take the message to all the states of the federation. Director of ‘Arrive Alive Road Safety Initiative’, Mr. Yinka Bello, who is also a representative of Chevron Nigeria Limited, told LEADERSHIP SUNDAY that child safety is a critical element of road safety because children are the hopes of tomorrow. According to him: “All known measures for safety on the road should involve the children. For instance, we have been told to use our seat belts because when you are strapped to your seat belt and you are moving in a vehicle, in the event of a crash the seat belt will help to protect you. The question we are asking today is, do the children deserve to be protected? “ In the same vein, we have been told to use our helmets when we are riding on a bike, but the riders wear their helmets, but when they are carrying the children, they put them behind without helmets.
In the events of a fall, the helmet is meant to protect your head, but here we don’t do that, we leave our children so exposed to whatever happens, and we are saying enough”. Bello observed that the majority of schools in Abuja use “school buses that are not internationally recommended to convey students to school. “A survey recently conducted by the Federal Road Safety Commission in Abuja, revealed that most schools use mini-buses which fall below recommended standards,” Bello said. He also said that a survey by the FRSC revealed that most government schools have no buses. “According to the FRSC’s report, 86 per cent of the private schools studied have school buses, and it was observed that only 33 per cent of government schools have school buses,”.
He also said that children under the age of 12 years should not be allowed to occupy the front seat of any vehicle. According to him they are not mature enough to handle hazards of the air bag, if the air bag inflates in an accident. The balloon can choke a child while adults can easily struggle out and draw in some breadth. The child cannot do anything, more so, when the child is in shock, so we say don’t carry a child on the front seat”, he said. Mr. Bello added that his company, Chevron , which is also the sponsor of the campaigns, counts it a privilege to get involved in such campaign. “We in Chevron took it as an opportunity to get involved in child road safety campaign.
In Africa, parents do not take the necessary precautions towards child safety. While driving, you see children jumping around inside moving vehicles, and we all know that the roads in Nigeria are bad” “Our programmes at Arrive Alive Road Safety Initiatives are national, we started it in Lagos and we aim to affect every part of this country, the incidence that triggered off this happened in Lagos so we launched it there in July, 2011 and very soon we will go to other states”, he added.
The director, however, called on the government to ensure that laws which uphold road safety measures should be extended to children. The government, he averred should ensure that school buses imported into the country met the standard in the western world. According to him, “In western world, school buses don’t come without seat belts. The government can make it a law that every vehicle that will be used for school bus must have seat belts so that children can be strapped”. In his own reaction, the acting Head of Unit, Special Marshal and Partnership Department, Mr. Peter Gyang Pam disclosed that the FRSC has laws that protect children.
According to him, “we in the FRSC, owing to the Establishment Act 2007, we captured it a long time ago because we see the children as a vulnerable group. And their parents too will always advocate that we teach them all the ideals, so there are laws that protect the rights of the children and they are being implemented”. Gyang lamented that the level of awareness on child safety was still minimal. “It is not everybody that knows these things but we are trying to take the message to the grassroots so that everybody will know, because it won’t do anybody any good if you formulate some laws which people are not aware of”, he added. The Executive Director, Accident Prevention and Rescue Initiative, Prince Fidelis Nnadi, disclosed that World Health Organisation (WHO)’s statistics showed that frequent vehicle accidents on Nigerian roads claim the life of a child every three minutes.
“The World Health Organisation (WHO) statistics confirms that a child is killed in an accident every three minutes in Nigeria, and that about 42 per cent of the children are killed by reckless speeding, drunken motorists and distractions like the use of cell-phones”, he said.
http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/12641/2012/01/08/saving_nigerian_child_road_accidents.html
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Freiburger(m): 9:20am On Sep 25, 2012
info@lpf:
Child car seats are not, to the best of my knowledge, required by law in Nigeria.
What do you mean with not required? So kids does not deserve any form of security just because they can't take decisions on their own. The government should do something about this.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 9:34am On Sep 25, 2012
Freiburger:
What do you mean with not required? So kids does not deserve any form of security just because they can't take decisions on their own. The government should do something about this.
As ridiculous as his statement may have read, it's quite true. A lawyer I asked was not aware of any law regarding them hence, the reason I asked @naptu2 for that article for FRSC quoted some laws there. Perhaps, a lawyer can disprove that.

Personally, I have seen on Nigerian roads, parents driving vehicles with their kids on their laps; a mother sitting on the passenger seat with a child on her lap; a child of about five years left ‘unguarded’ playing in the passenger’s (front) seat – unknowingly, whilst these adults think they are showing the children love, their children would love them more if they knew more about child safety (and pass it on to their own children later on).

Generally, a child can sit in the front seat using the adult seat belt from the age of 12. Prior to that age, if a child is about seven to eight or is of a certain weight or height, s/he can use a booster seat on the front seat. However, the safest approach is to have a child sit at the rear (back seat) till the age of 12 – this is because an exploding airbag can “deliver a massive blow to the young child’s head, causing instantaneously severe fatal to human brain trauma” (Bloch, 1998).

A research conducted by the Journal of the American Medical Association found that “among children under the age of 10, fatalities were 34 per cent higher than expected in frontal crashes. The deaths of three infants and 11 children were attributed to air bags during the study”. Safe Kids, a UK child-safety website, gives the following explanations: “Children of that age (seven) and even older have not fully developed and cannot withstand the force with which the airbag is released. This is because their back, neck and stomach muscles are weaker than that of an adult. A child’s head is also out of proportion to the rest of their body which makes it harder for them to keep an upright position during collisions, resulting in their body being propelled further forward than an adult and thus increasing the impact as they hit the airbag.”

Essentially, when an airbag explodes, “the great forces produced by an inflating air bag can injure or even kill a child”. Furthermore, researchers have estimated that by putting a child in the back seat instead of the front seat, the chances of injury and death are reduced by more than 30 per cent.

Well, these are for seats with airbag. As a kid, our car did not have any airbag and the reality is that in Nigeria, we still have many cars like that (both old and dumped). I remember how we were always cautioned whenever we turned on the hyperactive button or how my parents used to warn other road users if, for example, a child was peeping out of the window or ‘unguarded’. Airbag or no airbag, I was being protected from fatal accidents. A scene from a movie depicting how one could easily be flunged out of the windscreen when hit at the rear readily comes to mind. For the scenarios provided above, the steering wheel would easily become the dangerous tool in injuring the child who’s between the driver and the wheel thus, clogging the wheel of progress of such child. For the second, the individual ‘lapping’ the child would simply become a basketballer throwing the child like a ball outside the windscreen and just like the second, the last kid left ‘unguarded’ may find himself or herself performing a deadly ‘Shina Rambo’ stunt – these are why they are termed accidents. They were never planned for. Just as risks cannot be totally eliminated, they can be reduced via our safety consciousness.

It’s interesting to note that Section 3 (6) of the Lagos State Traffic law, for example, states that “where a rider is convicted for riding or driving on restricted routes … carrying a pregnant woman, a child below the age of 12 years or an adult with a baby or heavy/large load placed on the head or acts which obstruct normal sitting on the motorcycle, the passenger shall also be liable to the same penalty”. It is the responsibility of adults to protect children. The school bus drivers too should take note as it is usually the case that children are jam-packed in school buses.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/letters/safety-of-the-nigerian-child-in-vehicles/
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 25, 2012
Mustay: As ridiculous as his statement may have read, it's quite true. A lawyer I asked was not aware of any law regarding them hence, the reason I asked @naptu2 for that article for FRSC quoted some laws there. Perhaps, a lawyer can disprove that.

I think what Freiburger means is (what I also feel) we as parents don't need to wait for a bill to be passed, before we protect our children. I've driven in countries whereby the laws governing the use of seatbelts are pretty lax, or even non-existent. My children will still be in suitable child restraint systems.

It's not always about the law, it's common sense.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 10:52am On Sep 25, 2012
Ok.
Yeah true but common sense ain't common after all and some adults driving children are not always their parents.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Freiburger(m): 10:58am On Sep 25, 2012
Mustay: Ok.
Yeah true but common sense ain't common after all and some adults driving children are not always their parents.
Alrigt, since they are not the partents they should be allowed to expose these little kids to such a huge danger.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 25, 2012
Mustay: Ok.

Mustay, I would not allow infants or small children to travel in my car, with myself driving, if there is no way to restrain them. They don't have to be my children for me to protect them. I would go absolutely mad if my kids rode in a car driven by someone other than myself, and they were not suitably restrained. That's the sign of an irresponsible adult.

Treat the children of others, the way you would like other's to treat yours. That children are not yours is no excuse to expose them to danger, or worse risk of death.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 1:03pm On Sep 25, 2012
Don't get me wrong. I completely agree with your views.

All I'm saying is some are completely oblivious of the #SafetyResponsibility. Such people need a kick in the bottom called the law.

You even have mothers carrying a baby less than one year on her back and her other child with the bike guy on an okada. The worrying trend for me is that on more than 3 occasions, I've seen (wo)men with expensive cars placing the kid on their lap while driving - I mean, one gives them the assumption of literacy/education, how much more for the average okada man or (school) bus driver or a youth
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 2:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
Hi. I can't remember what paper originally published the story. I read the hard copy version back in 2010. I remembered the Bimpe story, googled it and found that on NBF.

If I remember correctly, back in 2010 the FRSC had a huge public enlightenment campaign about child safety. They got celebrities like Stella Damsasus and Holy Mallam involved in the campaign. Every morning Rhythm FM would broadcast the ad that says that you would go to jail or pay a fine (can't remember which) if you allow a child below the age of 12yrs to sit on the front seat and if you have a child in the car who is not strapped in.

It's strange that I can't get more info online, because there were many articles written and documentaries, ads and news items made as part of the campaign. I know quite a few people who started obeying the law for the first time because they were afraid of the penalty.

I'm going to search for the law tonight, but basically, the law says that everybody in the car must be properly strapped in. Now. . . Here's the interpretation: this includes car seats. At the time the FRSC started enforcing the seat belt law, some danfo and molue drivers in Lagos would simply put a rope across their chest (to show that they are obeying the law). Of course the FRSC arrested them, because they were not properly strapped in. The FRSC used the same principle for car seats. If you have a toddler in the car and you put a seat belt across his chest, is he properly strapped in?
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Sprumbaba: 4:08pm On Sep 25, 2012
From 8years.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by SamMilla1(m): 4:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
Judging by what i see some drivers do, and how difficult it is to get a driving permit here in Nigeria,
I would say at 18 years.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 4:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Oops! The mod has modified the topic.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by naptu2: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2012
The FRSC is trying to get all schools to have a uniform colour for their school buses (good idea, although I don't think this is backed by law).
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by DisGuy: 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
Sam Milla: Judging by what i see some drivers do, and how difficult it is to get a driving permit here in Nigeria,
I would say at 18 years.

too true!! lol

saw some craze man, early this year speeding without a seat one, a 4/5years girld standing on the seat next to him, he was dancing vigorously to Terry G, when we caught up with him, i signalled for him to use a seat belt pointed at the little girl, he just gave this puzzled look: wetin dis aboki dey talk sef! then sped off again
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by pappilo(m): 4:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
Story story. No be Naija ni. When I was a child, we used to roll 5 children deep in the back of my dads Datsun 200L. When the older siblings grew a likkle bigger, the last born had to make do on my mums laps no seat belt or nothing.
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Mustay(m): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2012
Funny country - when something is for their safety, they wave it away as "Wo, man go still die one day". If they survive an incident that had to do with their negligence, they say "Ehn! Thank God o" then when the incident results in a casualty, it's either "eeyah, and he was so so and so" or they start raining curses.

The fact that the seat belt itself is good for adults doesn't mean it's an absolute measure against accident but a 'safe net'.

@naptu2 that's one thing about Nigeria - we usually don't sustain sensitisation programmes. Well, urrghhh!
Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
pappilo: Story story. No be Naija ni. When I was a child, we used to roll 5 children deep in the back of my dads Datsun 200L. When the older siblings grew a likkle bigger, the last born had to make do on my mums laps no seat belt or nothing.

And you think that's appropriate in 2012? A lot of us didn't use seatbelts, but that was more down to ignorance. Other country laws were also lax on the subject of seatbelts and child restraint systems. Indeed some older models had no rear seat belts.

Now things have changed. Cars are also a lot faster than they were 30 years ago, and the G-forces placed upon occupants in the event of a crash are a lot higher. I just can't see why it's such a big deal to use a child restraint in an automobile. Child seats may well cost money, but we can't place a value on our children's lives. At least, I can't.

1 Like

Re: Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? by ismhab(m): 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
When they are no longer children.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Name Of Your First Car. / 6 Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Car Running / Toyota Camry Is Showing ABS And BRAKE On The Dashboard At The Same Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.