Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. (8352 Views)

China Fuel Pumps Want To Kill Me. / Fuel Pumps For Sale / Toyota Recalling 1.8 Million Vehicles Because Fuel Pumps Can Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:23pm On Aug 07, 2018
Stay tuned...
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Inception(m): 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Stay tuned...

As in eh! grin
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by diportivo: 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2018
who has time for toks pump? grin

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by NobleEngineer(m): 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2018
Still tunning oo gazzuzz
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:09pm On Aug 08, 2018
Here we go.

These are pictures of Fuelpump replaced in the workshop from March 2018 till date. notice a Dark discolouration?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538106_img201808080951494_jpeg234ea6000b3be3647025c4353c120b83

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538112_img201808080951552_jpeg08e2adecbf098b2e15d26ccca9817903

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538123_img201808080952149_jpegf46b589005ed0c24872b36b641ee65a8

Now I have seen Fuelpumps for vehicle Bought brand new in nigeria, used for about 2years and less then 30,000kms in this state.

these are the remains of cannibalised used foreign used fuel pumps from different vehicles, Notice their colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538117_img201808080952075_jpeg94838fcb8689c642c90ec20bdaebbe86

Notice the strainer colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538127_img201808080952321_jpegbde829ab6b0e984d8761068018708048

Fuelpump used in saner climates for 10-20years coming in and looking this good without any human interference.

summary, If you like buy a brand new car or a Foreign used car, as long as you live in nigeria and our system continues to buy horribly refined petroleum products, just set aside a little extra money for a fuel pump every few years.

I would love to see more responses:

Cc: Cc: sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore. uwemjack and all the others I cannot remember.......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2018
The difference is clear like 7up. A nation of everything substandard.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Gentlelife50(m): 4:20pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Here we go.

These are pictures of Fuelpump replaced in the workshop from March 2018 till date. notice a Dark discolouration?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538106_img201808080951494_jpeg234ea6000b3be3647025c4353c120b83

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538112_img201808080951552_jpeg08e2adecbf098b2e15d26ccca9817903

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538123_img201808080952149_jpegf46b589005ed0c24872b36b641ee65a8

Now I have seen Fuelpumps for vehicle Bought brand new in nigeria, used for about 2years and less then 30,000kms in this state.

these are the remains of cannibalised used foreign used fuel pumps from different vehicles, Notice their colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538117_img201808080952075_jpeg94838fcb8689c642c90ec20bdaebbe86

Notice the strainer colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538127_img201808080952321_jpegbde829ab6b0e984d8761068018708048

Fuelpump used in saner climates for 10-20years coming in and looking this good without any human interference.

summary, If you like buy a brand new car or a Foreign used car, as long as you live in nigeria and our system continues to buy horribly refined petroleum products, just set aside a little extra money for a fuel pump every few years.

I would love to see more responses:

Cc: Cc: sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore. uwemjack and all the others I cannot remember.......
Bros which is better, tokumbo or new fuel pump?
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by ironheart(m): 4:25pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

all na thesame, from the pictures post, you can easily tell that thesame fate befall them both

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by fishing: 4:25pm On Aug 08, 2018
There is a notorious petrol station in Marina.

If you buy fuel there on a Monday morning then a fuel pump replacement is almost guaranteed.

They are fully aware that water and dirt gets into their underground tank.

I have challenged them before and they claim to have resolved the issue.

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2018
Look at the color of the eyeballs of an average person based in Nigeria. Then compare to another person based in Europe.

Nigeria is a tough automotive environment.

From an automotive point of view I just look at people that are driving high caliber vehicles and shake my head.

A fuel pump is a disposable maintenance item.

8 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Inception(m): 4:44pm On Aug 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Look at the color of the eyeballs of an average person based in Nigeria. Then compare to another person based in Europe.

Nigeria is a tough automotive environment.

From an automotive point of view I just look at people that are driving high caliber vehicles.

A fuel pump is a disposable maintenance item.

True.
But to be replaced every 10-20 thousand miles? quite sad for Nigeria and the quality of fuel imported in this country. We simply have no standards!

This is why using a tokunbo Diesel car will be at your own peril.

But sir, In the early 80s (when some of us were still in heaven grin ) was it this bad given the premise of our functional refineries at the time?

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2018
Inception:

True.
But to be replaced every 10-20 thousand miles? quite sad for Nigeria and the quality of fuel imported in this country. We simply have no standards!

This is why using a tokunbo Diesel car will be at your own peril.

But sir, In the early 80s (when some of us were still in heaven grin ) was it this bad given the premise of our functional refineries at the time?

I wish some of the younger guys could have experienced Nigeria of the 70s / 80's, she was just a better country.

Do you guys know we used to have Greyhound buses in Nigeria, telephone booths in Ibadan, LSMTC buses (owned by Lagos State) that ran between Lagos and Ibadan, a functioning highway patrol force, hardly see soldiers on the street, etc

Anyways to your question, back then most cars had external fuel pumps not these ones that are sitting inside the gas tank (I think most of the fires we see on 3MB are from these adulterated cobbled together fuel pumps), external fuel filters, etc The fuel was better but the maintenance was better too.

People actually took their cars in for service, not when it broke. In Ibadan you had a Volvo dealer, Datsun dealer, etc

You actually had brand new taxi cabs, I mean tear rubber Datsuns and Toyotas for taxi in Ibadan, very rare to see a taxi that was battered, there was pride in ownership.

To be a taxi driver, driver, vulgarizer, battery charger, etc were all good professions. Listen to Ayinla Omowura, etc and see how he sings of tipper owners, senior driver at CFAO, etc Nigeria was just better over all

I wish I was more into photo/video graphy then like I am now.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 5:39pm On Aug 08, 2018
All one can do is use additives and be cautious buYing fuel. Also, don't let tank get below one quarter. I'm at 60k on my car in Nigeria with no fuel pump issues. My catalytic converter on the other hand cry

My family has been in oil from the beginning and i promise is not our fault! It's the tankers and the station storage systems. (Okay maybe the single grade is a little our fault).

Someone hold me back please because someone asked if tokunbo or new fuel pump is better.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by oluwaseunla(m): 5:59pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Someone hold me back please because someone asked if tokunbo or new fuel pump is better.

Be advised, new fuel pumps in Nigeria can be OEM, aftermarket or Chinese. Even Chinese have grades. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Tyche(m): 6:05pm On Aug 08, 2018
diportivo:
who has time for toks pump? grin

English speaking mechanic grin . Them go feature you here as actor

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

Sadly in nigeria, it is pointless. they will both Get fucke.d up at the same time. I don't see the point in wasting hard earned cash.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 6:50pm On Aug 08, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Be advised, new fuel pumps in Nigeria can be OEM, aftermarket or Chinese. Even Chinese have grades. grin grin grin

Ah! Yes Sir!
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by jayooh: 6:54pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

From the insight, it doesn't matter the category you get so far it works perfectly with your car system at the moment. Just be informed you would be changing it soon cos of the fuel we are sold in naija.

Some stations will even sell you 50/50 petrol and water. Your strainer go come be like agege bread weh fall for water

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Piyke: 7:17pm On Aug 08, 2018
Reminds me of the day I bought petrol in a gallon at one funny station in Asaba. Thank God it was in a gallon! Of the 15L ish I bought, 2L was pure mud and water!

I have the dream of buying a portable octane tester just to do some research.
Do you know many of the codes we get are due to poor quality petrol? I once bought petrol somewhere and a little after that my fuel trims kept climbing until my LTFT got above 19 and I got a CEL.
There is no amount of troubleshooting I did not do (that was when I acquired a fuel pressure tester). In the midst of this, tank got low, I bought another tank and that was it. Trims went back to normal with no intervention. angry

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Gentlelife50(m): 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Sadly in nigeria, it is pointless. they will both Get fucke.d up at the same time. I don't see the point in wasting hard earned cash.
Thanks Bro, may God continue to bless you.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Kashif(m): 8:01pm On Aug 08, 2018
Something is not just right with our petrol here. From low octane numbers to absolute contamination.

One thing to also consider on the discoloured pump assemblies is that most Nigerians drive their cars below half tank, with a large chunk of these only entering the petrol station when the low fuel indicator comes on. A close look at some of those assemblies shows discoloration at the upper part, meaning that the exposed part takes the heat (pun intended)

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Gentlelife50(m): 8:02pm On Aug 08, 2018
jayooh:

From the insight, it doesn't matter the category you get so far it works perfectly with your car system at the moment. Just be informed you would be changing it soon cos of the fuel we are sold in naija.

Some stations will even sell you 50/50 petrol and water. Your strainer go come be like agege bread weh fall for water
Okay, thanks. I keep changing it often, I was wondering whether it's fake I keep buying.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by oluwaseunla(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

Okay, thanks. I keep changing it often, I was wondering whether it's fake I keep buying.

In similar conditions, the real stuff outlives and outperforms the Chinese stuff.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

New or toks, replace entire assembly.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by jayooh: 8:26pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gentlelife50:

While replacing with toks, you'd need luck n truthfulness on the part of the seller to have mind rest; for new parts it has to be the genuine stuff. China pump go fail you for highway.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by oblo(m): 8:31pm On Aug 08, 2018
Asides the water issue some of these tanks are just plain dirty like some one mentioned. No particular standard in filling the underground storage tanks. Do they even wash the tanks periodically?? What about abused and adulterated petrol?? E get where fuel abuse go reach no matter the fuel additives one adds your catalyst and other components na bye bye.... Abeg the suffer in this country sef.......

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Gentlelife50(m): 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

New or toks, replace entire assembly.
Okay, thanks.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by johnabraham: 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2018
i have a hands on experience with a bad fuel pump in a brand new tear rubber car
in 2013 my company bought a brand new hyundai verna for me
2 week down the line vehicle started jerking.... after riding for a couple of kms, fuel supply used to cut off on account of bad fuel pump. vehicle was sent to hyundai motors ijesha and the culprit was fuel pump....
their service manager sent pics to me...... full of sludge.... fuel pump turned black in colour in just 2 weeks of vehicle usage
my regular fuel stations along my office road that time were 2 reputed ones....
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06pm On Aug 08, 2018
johnabraham:
i have a hands on experience with a bad fuel pump in a brand new tear rubber car
in 2013 my company bought a brand new hyundai verna for me
2 week down the line vehicle started jerking.... after riding for a couple of kms, fuel supply used to cut off on account of bad fuel pump. vehicle was sent to hyundai motors ijesha and the culprit was fuel pump....
their service manager sent pics to me...... full of sludge.... fuel pump turned black in colour in just 2 weeks of vehicle usage
my regular fuel stations along my office road that time were 2 reputed ones....

naija is legendary grin anuty radu, that 1 year warranty you are splashing upandan hope you are ready grin

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by AutoElectNG: 9:08pm On Aug 08, 2018
I have spent a fortune on brand new fuel pumps until I discovered fuel pump must go with fuel filter or a complete pump assembly

Next stage for any car with a metallic tank I have adopted the suggestion put across by the ijebu high chief

Will drop the tank and turn it into a brand new tank using the method he posted on Gazzuzz ford thread

With plastic fuel tanks that may not be necessary

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Piyke: 9:18pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

naija is legendary grin anuty radu, that 1 year warranty you are splashing upandan hope you are ready grin

This one cracked me up badly grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:25am On Aug 09, 2018
Piyke:

This one cracked me up badly grin

she neva chi chom chim wink

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rain Driving Tips For Nigerian Drivers / Best Engine Oil For Honda Baby Boy / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.