Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:26 PM

Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? (2634 Views)

Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Todays Devotion (turning Obstacles To Miracles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 02, 2012
we cant deny there have been some events we may have termed miracles because they happen out of the ordinary, events we dont understand. Apart from miracles there are also some voodoo and juju events like the infamous odeshi - bulletproof. i'm asking all these miracles, there must be some science behind it, maybe we havent understood it yet or found it out. do you agree?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Delafruita(m): 10:52am On Sep 02, 2012
diluminati: we cant deny there have been some events we may have termed miracles because they happen out of the ordinary, events we dont understand. Apart from miracles there are also some voodoo and juju events like the infamous odeshi - bulletproof. i'm asking all these miracles, there must be some science behind it, maybe we havent understood it yet or found it out. do you agree?

you want to understand the science behind "odeshi" "ayinpa" "ofe" "ajidewe" "sopona" etc,you're on your own.why do you think the europeans carted away most of the "gods" in african shrines?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by LongOne1(m): 11:05am On Sep 02, 2012
Delafruita:

you want to understand the science behind "odeshi" "ayinpa" "ofe" "ajidewe" "sopona" etc,you're on your own.why do you think the europeans carted away most of the "gods" in african shrines?

Maybe they were looking for a scientific explanation.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Delafruita(m): 11:17am On Sep 02, 2012
Long One:

Maybe they were looking for a scientific explanation.
of course they were
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by LongOne1(m): 12:05pm On Sep 02, 2012
Delafruita:
of course they were

So, can you please answer the lady’s question now? Who knows, maybe with the knowledge, we can become a world power. embarassed

I can only attempt to explain the science behind cool water in an earthenware pot, which I believe is as a result of ‘evaporation by cooling’. Then again, that has nothing to do with Odeshi. grin
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Delafruita(m): 12:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
Long One:

So, can you please answer the lady’s question now? Who knows, maybe with the knowledge, we can become a world power. embarassed

I can only attempt to explain the science behind cool water in an earthenware pot, which I believe is as a result of ‘evaporation by cooling’. Then again, that has nothing to do with Odeshi. grin
i already answered her question.perhaps i should transcribe it into plain english:THE ONLY SCIENCE BEHIND ODESHI IS THE SCIENCE OF THE gOds
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by onetrack(m): 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
diluminati: we cant deny there have been some events we may have termed miracles because they happen out of the ordinary, events we dont understand. Apart from miracles there are also some voodoo and juju events like the infamous odeshi - bulletproof. i'm asking all these miracles, there must be some science behind it, maybe we havent understood it yet or found it out. do you agree?

I can certainly deny all 'miracles' and I do. There are undoubtedly some astonishing coincidences and some amazing occurrences, but there is always a scientific or mathematical explanation. It's funny how I've heard about miracles, but me, being a skeptic, have never actually seen one. Coincidence or miracle?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by tobechi74: 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2012
SCIENCE CAN ONLY PROOVE PHYSICAL EVENTS. Any thing that is above physical is metaphysical and hence beyond science.

However, scientist agree dat miracles hapen.they just cant proove it.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by mkmyers45(m): 1:47pm On Sep 02, 2012
tobechi74: SCIENCE CAN ONLY PROOVE PHYSICAL EVENTS. Any thing that is above physical is metaphysical and hence beyond science.

However, scientist agree dat miracles hapen.they just cant proove it.
What do you term a miracle?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by tobechi74: 1:53pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: What do you term a miracle?

a miracle is an unusual or extraodinary event that deviates from natural occurance
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by mkmyers45(m): 3:29pm On Sep 02, 2012
tobechi74:

a miracle is an unusual or extraodinary event that deviates from natural occurance
like an amputee's arm bieng restored?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by lilcutie8916(m): 4:37pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: like an amputee's arm bieng restored?
dont u think this amputee stuff u always bring up is getting old? How about the miracle of a mad woman i have always known since i was a child been restored through prayer true story first hand experience.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by mkmyers45(m): 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2012
lilcutie8916: dont u think this amputee stuff u always bring up is getting old? How about the miracle of a mad woman i have always known since i was a child been restored through prayer true story first hand experience.
but thats a true miracle no?.. thats perfectly normal..take a trip to a yaba left and see
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by lilcutie8916(m): 5:08pm On Sep 02, 2012
I wonder what will change atheistic ideology wait let me guess an amputee growing back his hand pls u really need to be saved.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by mkmyers45(m): 7:45pm On Sep 02, 2012
lilcutie8916: I wonder what will change atheistic ideology wait let me guess an amputee growing back his hand pls u really need to be saved.
thats a true miracle no?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Niflheim(m): 10:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
1.a man who lost the top part of his finger,grew it back using'pixie dust' 2.jesus healing a blind man with with sand(magnetic clay) 3.a girl who was mad restored to her senses(surgery on an in growing upper tooth that jammed a nerve leading to her brain) 4.a man that chases away any wild dog that tries to bite him(ultra sonic sound heard by dogs but not by man) 5.touching an object and becoming paralyzed(batratoxin aka beetle poison) 6.a pastor making people faint(chloroform)
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 02, 2012
There some people with abilities, and mostly likely have autism. E.g a blind boy that has perfect sight by detecting sonar waves. There are many more like this. Is this a miracle or science? hope get my point
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by thehomer: 3:48am On Sep 03, 2012

This depends on what you consider to be a miracle because generally, when scientific explanations for phenomena are discovered, they cease to be religious miracles.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by thehomer: 3:57am On Sep 03, 2012
diluminati: There some people with abilities, and mostly likely have autism. E.g a blind boy that has perfect sight by detecting sonar waves. There are many more like this. Is this a miracle or science? hope get my point

I'm skeptical about this claim of a blind person having perfect sight by using sound alone. Do you have some evidence to back up this claim?
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by dattaswami: 6:11am On Sep 03, 2012

Miracles prove the unimaginable nature and there by establish the existence of unimaginable God. This is the only basic purpose of miracles. Even demons performed miracles through the power of God. God allowed the power to perform miracles through them also because miracle is the basis to prove the very existence of unimaginable God.

If every thing is explicable and if there is no existence of unimaginable item, it straightly means that the human being alone is God and there is no God other than the human being. This will spoil even Pravrutti, which is based on justice. If God is absent, hell is absent and everybody tries to do injustice secretly and if the law of court is managed through a strong advocate, there is no fear to do any sin. Even the Governments will fail if such atheism comes up. If Nivrutti is destroyed, the slow consequence is destruction of Pravrutti leading to disturbance of justice in society.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:24am On Sep 03, 2012
Of course there is science behind all the so-called miracles. Everything is science but we always think that we know all that is needed to know about science. That is our problem. We think we know how science should be. We don't. There is far more to science than what we know now. Far far more.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by joe4christ(m): 6:57am On Sep 03, 2012
Jenwitemi: [size=15pt]Of course there is science behind all the so-called miracles.[/size] Everything is science but we always think that we know all that is needed to know about science. That is our problem. We think we know how science should be. We don't. There is far more to science than what we know now. Far far more.

Are u kidding me? For how can u identify this belief with science when we all know that science refute the existance of any spiritual force, world or existance, including the existance of any terristerial body.
Even the founding fathers of science would'nt want to be associated with your assertion...
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by ijawkid(m): 7:07am On Sep 03, 2012
Any1 who denies miracles don't happen and exist isn't a realist.........
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:08am On Sep 03, 2012
You are talking about nuts and bolts science, mate. That is what is taught in schools and higher institutions. There is far more to science than the nuts and bolts Newtonian science that you have been taught..
joe4christ:

Are u kidding me? For how can u identify this belief with science when we all know that science refute the existance of any spiritual force, world or existance, including the existance of any terristerial body.
Even the founding fathers of science would'nt want to be associated with your assertion...
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 03, 2012
ijawkid: Any1 who denies miracles don't happen and exist isn't a realist.........

Miracles,magic,voodoo etc are tools used to deceive the fools! Just like illusion,they are not real! The ability to play with the sub-conscious mind to fool others can only make you very rich and powerful to the gullible minds.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by tobechi74: 7:15am On Sep 03, 2012
MIRACLES ARE EVENT THAT VIOLATE THE LAW OF NATURE
e.g 10 plagues by moses
pregnancy of mary
christ resurection
a statue shedin blood
a picture crying
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:16am On Sep 03, 2012
There are no miracles, mate. Just unknown scientific phenomena. The less you know scientifically the more phenomena you term as "miracles". The more you know, the less phenomena you will term as "miracles". That is how things work. Every phenomenon is a scientifically supported natural occurrence. The only reason why it will be seen as a miracle is simply because the human scientific knowledge haven't reach that level yet to explain them away properly. Even a man/woman levitating in the air, for example, is no miracle. It is just an occurrence that we have no explanation for because we do not yet possess the required level of scientific knowledge to do so. Simples.
ijawkid: Any1 who denies miracles don't happen and exist isn't a realist.........

Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by ijawkid(m): 7:23am On Sep 03, 2012
Jenwitemi: There are no miracles, mate. Just unknown scientific phenomena. The less you know scientifically the more phenomena you term as "miracles". The more you know, the less phenomena you will term as "miracles". That is how things work. Every phenomenon is a scientifically supported natural occurrence. The only reason why it will be seen as a miracle is simply because the human scientific knowledge haven't reach that level yet to explain them away properly. Even a man/woman levitating in the air, for example, is no miracle. It is just an occurrence that we have no explanation for because we do not yet possess the required level of scientific knowledge to do so. Simples.

Soon u'll know..

No need tryin to convince u..

Soon my bro

I hope ur also carrying out ur own experiments to refute d fact miracles did. And do happen.......

It will take science forever to find answers to perplexing happenings.......

And its only one who does believe there is a God who performs miracles that can live forever to learn about it......
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by tobechi74: 7:27am On Sep 03, 2012
diluminati: There some people with abilities, and mostly likely have autism. E.g a blind boy that has perfect sight by detecting sonar waves. There are many more like this. Is this a miracle or science? hope get my point

many treatments are science related., b4 any miracle ocur, d folowin are condition

withnes shud consist of many people who are sensible,educajed, mentaly fit e.g

the ailment shud b dificult to treat or incurable.science or doctors shud confirm d ailment incurable

D miracle shud b quick in a short period

no drug shd b issued prior to d miracle proces.

D ailment shud b irreversible.it shd b completely cured and shudnt re appear.
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:03am On Sep 03, 2012
Did you even understand what i am trying to explain here? I doubt you do. So let me try for the last time. But before i begin, let me disappoint you a lil bit. I am not part of the science vs religion/spiritual dichotomy because i don't believe in dichotomies that excites the religionist/atheist communities. My worldview is holarchical. To me, everything is one. Multiple sides to the same thing. Everything is connected. All is one. Hope that is clear and removes your thinking that you are dealing with a materialist atheist 'cos you are not.

I am not denying that those events that you term as miracles don't exist or happen. What i am saying here is that they are NATURAL OCCURRENCES that follow the laws of the natural universe. The reason why they appear as miracles to us humans is because we, humans, live in a state below the natural state(sub-natural state) and hence, the natural state of existence has become supernatural to us.

Now, there are two states in existence, The NATURAL STATE and the SUB-NATURAL STATE. We humans are existing in a sub-natural state so everything that happens naturally in front of us we think is super-natural and a miracle. There is no such thing as the "super-natural". The sub-natural state we humans find ourselves us term makes every natural events as super-natural and miracles.

God is a natural entity not supernatural one and everything it does is natural. When we humans, with our science, have evolved high enough to leave the subnatural state of existence and return back to the natural state of being that we once were in, we would be able to understand and resonate better with the creator. But right now, we understand very little about the creator and the nature of reality we live in because of the sub-natural state of our existence.

Didn't the bible also mention the sub-natural state we humans live in by the term "FALLING STATE"? From what state did we fall? Ask yourself that question. When we do finally return back to our true natural state, to us, there will be no more miracles but natural occurrences.
ijawkid:

Soon u'll know..

No need tryin to convince u..

Soon my bro

I hope ur also carrying out ur own experiments to refute d fact miracles did. And do happen.......

It will take science forever to find answers to perplexing happenings.......

And its only one who does believe there is a God who performs miracles that can live forever to learn about it......

Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by ijawkid(m): 8:55am On Sep 03, 2012
Jenwitemi: Did you even understand what i am trying to explain here? I doubt you do. So let me try for the last time. But before i begin, let me disappoint you a lil bit. I am not part of the science vs religion/spiritual dichotomy because i don't believe in dichotomies that excites the religionist/atheist communities. My worldview is holarchical. To me, everything is one. Multiple sides to the same thing. Everything is connected. All is one. Hope that is clear and removes your thinking that you are dealing with a materialist atheist 'cos you are not.

I am not denying that those events that you term as miracles don't exist or happen. What i am saying here is that they are NATURAL OCCURRENCES that follow the laws of the natural universe. The reason why they appear as miracles to us humans is because we, humans, live in a state below the natural state(sub-natural state) and hence, the natural state of existence has become supernatural to us.

Now, there are two states in existence, The NATURAL STATE and the SUB-NATURAL STATE. We humans are existing in a sub-natural state so everything that happens naturally in front of us we think is super-natural and a miracle. There is no such thing as the "super-natural". The sub-natural state we humans find ourselves us term makes every natural events as super-natural and miracles.

God is a natural entity not supernatural one and everything it does is natural. When we humans, with our science, have evolved high enough to leave the subnatural state of existence and return back to the natural state of being that we once were in, we would be able to understand and resonate better with the creator. But right now, we understand very little about the creator and the nature of reality we live in because of the sub-natural state of our existence.

Didn't the bible also mention the sub-natural state we humans live in by the term "FALLING STATE"? From what state did we fall? Ask yourself that question. When we do finally return back to our true natural state, to us, there will be no more miracles but natural occurrences.

Did I just hear u call GOD an it??

What are u??
An agnostic??

And falling state means we had a perfect beginning ,but now imperfect.....

So u cling to the subnatural and natural theory,why u refute the super-natural??...

So I wanna ask u.....when are u going to levitate to the NATURAL state of existence since there aint no supernaturals.......

What u believe as I knw is what u've heard 1 scientist or an agnostic say somewhere..mayb a theory propounded by one who definitly doubts the existence of the spirit being called Yahweh.....

I believe in the supernaturals.....
Re: Is There A Scientific Explanation To Miracles? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2012
Yes, you did. I firmly believe that the CREATOR is a neutral force of nature that is neither male nor female. Neither is it to be described as masculine nor feminine by nature, and does not belong to any one people. So the only pronoun that best represent such a neutral force of nature, in my view, is "IT".
ijawkid:
Did I just hear u call GOD an it??

I don't do labels apart from the fact that i am a human being just like you.
ijawkid:
What are u??
An agnostic??

I don't know whether that term "perfect" is appropriate here but we once had a vastly more expanded state of being and now we have a dramatically narrower and more limited one, yes.
ijawkid:

And falling state means we had a perfect beginning ,but now imperfect.....

I have explained that already. I do not desire to repeat myself any longer.
ijawkid:

So u cling to the subnatural and natural theory,why u refute the super-natural??...

When i evolve to the natural state that will enable me to levitate naturally, i will. Till then, i am still evolving out of the sub-natural state like everyone else.
ijawkid:

So I wanna ask u.....when are u going to levitate to the NATURAL state of existence since there aint no supernaturals.......

Nope. It is by my own observations and conviction. And Yahweh is just a tribal god of the jews, nothing more. Different tribes the world over have different gods.
ijawkid:
What u believe as I knw is what u've heard 1 scientist or an agnostic say somewhere..mayb a theory propounded by one who definitly doubts the existence of the spirit being called Yahweh.....

Okay.
ijawkid:
I believe in the supernaturals.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Necessity Of Jesus' Sacrifice / Do You Think It Was Important For Jesus To Be Born Of A Virgin? If Yes Then Why? / God’s Kingdom, The Only Lasting Solution To Mankind’s Problems-I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.