Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... (1885 Views)

Who Wrote The New Testament ? / Should Women Be Allowed To Preach On The Altar Or To Become A Pastor? / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 7:47pm On Sep 02, 2012
"God has not called women to preach, whether as a minister, or otherwise. He has called His ministers to preach, not others (whether men or women):"

My fellow Christiens please how true is this message, i was telling a pastor that there were female figures that did worked for God, i gave him some verses as proofs but He replied me with the above. Please say what you know.

THANK YOU.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by OmoAlata(f): 7:51pm On Sep 02, 2012
plappville: "He has called His ministers to preach, not others (whether men or women):"

Who are the 'others'
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by MacDaddy01: 7:53pm On Sep 02, 2012
You are lucky that he didnt send a tithe request.

Maybe your lyrical swagger in your church was too much

1 Like

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Sweetnecta: 9:24pm On Sep 02, 2012
sisi plappville. how now. how far?

1 Like

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 10:23pm On Sep 02, 2012
Omo Alata:

Who are the 'others'

I have no ideal, He even said Christ did not say we should preach the Gospel, because He do not want the whole world to come to His Father, but only a few people.

Sweetnecta: sisi plappville. how now. how far?

Ma broda in Adam & Eve, am very fine Thank, i trust you are too. Regards.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 8:18am On Sep 13, 2012
Omo Alata:

Who are the 'others'

The pastor replied.
The others are those who are not ministers.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by okeyxyz(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
Women cannot hold spiritual authority in church. Cannot be Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers, Bishops. Please note that gift of prophesy is different from the office of prophesy. Also note my emphasis on "spiritual", so I'm not saying women cannot perform other management or technical or higher disciplines like their male counterparts.

2 Likes

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by JeSoul(f): 5:55pm On Sep 13, 2012
Me I just want to say hi to my sister Plappville smiley

ps. the pastor probably means well but he is misguided.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by finestboy2(m): 6:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
That pasto is fake run from his church.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2012
okeyxyz: Women cannot hold spiritual authority in church. Cannot be Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers, Bishops. Please note that gift of prophesy is different from the office of prophesy. Also note my emphasis on "spiritual", so I'm not saying women cannot perform other management or technical or higher disciplines like their male counterparts.

I appreciate ur comment, but can you please qoute out biblical verse/verses to back it up. Thank you.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 10:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
JeSoul: Me I just want to say hi to my sister Plappville smiley

Thank you ma sista, i am doing fine thanks thanks for checking on me.
Ur type no many for NL oo LOLOSsS. He is not so clear with his message. I asked him what are the roles of women in the body of Christ then, i felt i have not been doing the right thing. I am not suposed to preach to others because i am a woman. This is where the whole story start from.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2012
finest-boy:
That pasto is fake run from his church.

No be my church Pastor ooo...its a pastor from one very known american church.
They say they are the only true church. I am suprise at some of thier teaching though.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by okeyxyz(m): 12:58pm On Sep 14, 2012
plappville:
I appreciate ur comment, but can you please qoute out biblical verse/verses to back it up. Thank you.

Some bible references:
1 Timothy 2:1-14, 1 Cor 11:3-16, 1 Cor 14:34-35

All speak about women yielding spiritual authority to men. Spiritual authority is not really about following doctrine because anybody can follow knowlegde/instruction, but it's more about making doctrine as it fits the time and circumstances. Anybody who assumes this position has to be able to exercise an independent, dominant mind besides following the spirit, He has to be able to decide when to apply a spiritual principle/message and when to disregard them, in other words he needs to exercise control over the spirit rather than being lead blindly by it. Now the male gender having the more logical/crafty mind is naturally built for this role unlike the female which is more emotional/sentimental/pliable. This is why i believe god does not hold the woman responsible in a congregation with men, the men must answer to god. If you remember the story of adam & eve, you'd recall that eve did eat the "forbidden fruit" first but it was as if nothing happened, as if it didn't matter. But when adam took the same "fruit", that was when "all hell broke loose". I hope this brief illustration paints the picture. cheesy I can respond to further questions.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Jenwitemi(m): 7:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
Obviously, according to the said pastor, women are not part of "them". wink Everybody is equal in the eyes of the lord. Everybody but women, apparently.
Omo Alata:

Who are the 'others'
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 14, 2012
HE IS PART RIGHT AND PART WRONG. A WOMAN CAN TEACH BUT SHE CAN ONLY TEACH WOMEN AND CHILDREN 1 TIMOTHY 2 VS 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by danwo: 10:15pm On Sep 14, 2012
JeSoul:

Me I just want to say hi to my sister Plappville smiley

^^^

Word up
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by danwo: 11:11pm On Sep 14, 2012
plappville:

"God has not called women to preach, whether as a minister, or otherwise.
He has called His ministers to preach, not others
(whether men or women):"

My fellow Christiens please how true is this message,

i was telling a pastor that there were female figures that did worked for God,

i gave him some verses as proofs but He replied me with the above. Please say what you know.

THANK YOU.

plappville:

Thank you ma sista, i am doing fine thanks thanks for checking on me.

Ur type no many for NL oo LOLOSsS. He is not so clear with his message.

I asked him what are the roles of women in the body of Christ then, i felt i have not been doing the right thing.

I am not suposed to preach to others because i am a woman.

This is where the whole story start from.

^^^

All are called without discrimination

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest

Let your women keep silence in the churches?:
for it is not permitted unto them to speak;
but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law

- 1 Corinthians 14:34 KJV

1 Corinthians 14:34 quoted above is another scripture apart from 1 Timothy 2:8-15 quoted below ruined by the ill-informed

8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety;
not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing,
if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

- 1 Timothy 2:8-15 KJV

1 Corinthians 14:34 is a glaring and obvious rebutting where Paul was repeating the ridiculous the "Pharisees" were implying.

The legalists were hiding behind a synagogue law that women should be silent in church.

1 Timothy 2:8-15 is interesting on its own too. The cherry picking is nauseating.

If living by verses, then curiously, how much of 1 Timothy 2:8-15 is lived by?

1 Timothy 2:8 makes one wonder how many "men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting"

How many men live by verse 8? Pfftt.

Anyway, 1 Timothy 2:9-15 initially set off with "women" (i.e. women in general)

then at verse 11 got toned down to "woman" (i.e. a matrimonial woman)

The dynamics in verses 9-10 were seen suitable or appropriate and so advised the former (i.e. "women")

Verses 11-12 however are altogether a different story and matter

(i.e. verses 11-12 was an "opportunity-to-add" moment to include the woman (i.e. the matrimonial woman) in Paul's letter/discussion)

Where verses 9-10 were advised for a general setup, gathering or church context,

verses 11-12 was written with a matrimonial arrangement in mind.

This is evident where hinted that the woman (i.e. the matrimonial woman) should not usurp authority over the man (i.e. the matrimonial man)

It is important to note that Paul deliberately did not write "the women" but wrote "the woman"

"Usurp authority over the man" is actually about a past event which would have been unnecessary if the correct conduct was followed

Paul was advising that the woman (i.e. the matrimonial woman) could learn from another woman's mistake; Eve's (i.e. an earlier matrimonial woman)

The woman; Eve did not "learn in silence with all subjection"

Without authority or right, the woman; Eve

took the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil and gave the man; Adam

and the man; Adam allowed the woman (i.e. Eve, his wife) to teach him eat the fruit.

Verses 11-12 are about the woman in a Godly home and not about women or the woman in a large group, corporate, world etc setting.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 11:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
okeyxyz:

Some bible references:
1 Timothy 2:1-14, 1 Cor 11:3-16, 1 Cor 14:34-35

All speak about women yielding spiritual authority to men. Spiritual authority is not really about following doctrine because anybody can follow knowlegde/instruction, but it's more about making doctrine as it fits the time and circumstances. Anybody who assumes this position has to be able to exercise an independent, dominant mind besides following the spirit, He has to be able to decide when to apply a spiritual principle/message and when to disregard them, in other words he needs to exercise control over the spirit rather than being lead blindly by it. Now the male gender having the more logical/crafty mind is
naturally built for this role unlike the female which is more emotional/sentimental/pliable.
This is why i believe god does not hold the woman responsible in a congregation with men, the men must answer to god. If you remember the story of adam & eve, you'd
recall that eve did eat the "forbidden fruit" first but it was as if nothing happened, as if it didn't matter. But when adam took the same "fruit", that was when "all hell broke loose".
I hope this brief illustration paints the picture. cheesy I can respond to further questions.
Thank you ma Broda, But the way i understand 1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep "silent" in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to "speak"; and in  1 Corinthians 14:35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is "disgraceful" for a woman to speak in the church. (What about when a Woman's husband is not a Christian? And beside Paul didnt say its a "Sin" for a woman to "Speak"wink It appears that His instructions on women's roles in the church were written to mediate disagreement in individual churches and were cultural in nature. It seems Pauls main purpose was to have harmony within the body not to give a blanket instruction as to women's role in the church. See : Galatians 3:28, “In Christ now there is neither bond nor free, Scythian nor Barbarian, "male nor female"; all are one in Christ Jesus.” Mary Magdalene was the first to see Jesus. Why did Jesus appear to a woman first? He also spoke to the Samaritan women at the "well" and women then had to be accompanied by a male chaperone but she spoke assertively to Jesus who gave her a "drink of Living Water". Isn't this a symbolic of women's place in the church? I think Jesus death has set women free. The gift of the Holy spirit is given to both man and woman. If the bible really does restrict women from teaching in church, then it also restricts women from speaking in church. Because To be "SILENT" means, do not talk, just "LISTEN" I see no reason why women in the church today hold duties like teaching Sunday school, singing in the choir, usher, children bible teacher or even the phone answering. This means the church is not consistant. The truth is that, both men and women in the New Testament were given the gift of the HOLY SPIRIT. This is what makes the NT a New Testament rather than the OT in which women did not have such privileges. His conversation with the Samaritan women at the "well" which was not permitted in the OT law. He was first seen by a woman when he Ressurected. It's up to God to judge because He uses women in the old testament to teach his Word to "everyone" (including men). According to the bible, Deborah even went to war with a man because He refused to go without her. Scripture says she "taught" the children of Israel as well as "judged" them. My question is, If God wants to use a woman to get His word across, then who are we to say He can't? When Christ was born into the world scene woman were considered little or something to be bought and sold. They were considered incapable of learning theological or spiritual truth. Take For example,t he Jewish Talmud (discussions on the Law) stated that it was better to burn the Torah (Law) than to teach it to a woman. It was no longer thesame when Christ came. 

Jesus spent time with women (John 4, Luke 10:38-42) and ministered with them in His company (Luke 8:1-3). In contrast to other men in His days who would not even allow women to count change in their hands for fear of physical contact, He allowed women to touch Him, see (Mark 5:25-34, Luke 7:36-50) and He touched them (Luke 13:10-13). Thus Jesus elevated women to a position they had not previously held. But He did not exalt them to positions of leadership over men. Preaching the gospel to someone or a group does not make one a leader over Them.

The book of Acts 21:9 also told us about the four daughters of Philip who prophesied. This means they were teachers of God's work" along with thier Father, These women, like all other Christian men and women of their time, received their authority to do God's work directly from Jesus Christ. The four daughters of Philip were already recognized preachers when Paul and those who accompanied him came through the port city of Caesarea. "And on the next day we departed and came to Caesarea; and entering the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we stayed with him. Now this man had four virgin daughters who were prophetesses". (Acts 21:8-9) Romans 16:3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: (This verse does not sound like the female figure was silent, rather, It tells us she supported in the work of Christ.) 

Acts 18:18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow. (This couple were with Paul.

Acts 18:26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and "explained to him the way of God more adequately". (It says "they" which means, the husband and the wife) By "Grace" we all have dominion which is authourity in Christ to do the work of God. Grace means I do not qualify, but i can have it. Its unmerited favour. So, i believe Paul did not mean to say that a woman should not Operates at all in the church "silent", but that they should be moderate and not taking authorities in thier hands. Be it Man or woman, when one is not called to preach/teach, He/she is a deciever. My conclusion is that, the Gift of the Holy Spirit is for both man and woman.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 11:47pm On Sep 14, 2012
danwo:

^^^

All are called without discrimination

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest

Let your women keep silence in the churches?:
for it is not permitted unto them to speak;
but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law

- 1 Corinthians 14:34 KJV

1 Corinthians 14:34 quoted above is another scripture apart from 1 Timothy 2:8-15
quoted below ruined by the ill-informed

8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety;
not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the
man
, but to be in silence.
13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing,
if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

- 1 Timothy 2:8-15 KJV
1 Corinthians 14:34 is a glaring and obvious rebutting where Paul was repeating the ridiculous the "Pharisees" were implying.

The legalists were hiding behind a synagogue law that women should be silent in church.

1 Timothy 2:8-15 is interesting on its own too. The cherry picking is nauseating.

If living by verses, then curiously, how much of 1 Timothy 2:8-15 is lived by?

1 Timothy 2:8 makes one wonder how many "men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting"

How many men live by verse 8? Pfftt.

Anyway, 1 Timothy 2:9-15 initially set off with "women" (i.e. women in general)

then at verse 11 got toned down to "woman" (i.e. a matrimonial woman)

The dynamics in verses 9-10 were seen suitable or appropriate and so advised the former (i.e. "women")

Verses 11-12 however are altogether a different story and matter

(i.e. verses 11-12 was an "opportunity-to-add" moment to include the woman (i.e.
the matrimonial woman) in Paul's letter/discussion)

Where verses 9-10 were advised for a general setup, gathering or church context,

verses 11-12 was written with a matrimonial arrangement in mind.

This is evident where hinted that the woman (i.e. the matrimonial woman) should not usurp authority over the man (i.e. the matrimonial man)

It is important to note that Paul deliberately did not write "the women" but wrote "the woman"

"Usurp authority over the man" is actually about a past event which would have been unnecessary if the correct conduct was followed

Paul was advising that the woman (i.e. the matrimonial woman) could learn from another woman's mistake; Eve's (i.e. an earlier matrimonial woman)

The woman; Eve did not "learn in silence with all subjection"

Without authority or right, the woman; Eve

took the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil and gave the man; Adam

and the man; Adam allowed the woman (i.e. Eve, his wife) to teach him eat the fruit.

Verses 11-12 are about the woman in a Godly home and not about women or the woman in a large group, corporate, world etc setting.

Good point, i saw that !!!
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 11:52pm On Sep 14, 2012
obadiah777: HE IS PART RIGHT AND PART WRONG. A WOMAN CAN TEACH BUT SHE CAN ONLY TEACH WOMEN AND CHILDREN 1 TIMOTHY 2 VS 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
How do you expect a woman who is instructed to keep silent to teach Children or her fellow woman? Where did the Bible says this? Silent is silent, abi no be the meaning be that? Be silent, dont speak. Do no work. Na wa, no wonder Apostle Peter warns that some of Pauls writing are hard to understand. No wonder some people will misinterprete them.

1 Like

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by okeyxyz(m): 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2012
plappville:
Thank you ma Broda, But the way i understand 1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep "silent" in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to "speak"; and in  1 Corinthians 14:35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is "disgraceful" for a woman to speak in the church. (What about when a Woman's husband is not a Christian? And beside Paul didnt say its a "Sin" for a woman to "Speak"wink It appears that His instructions on women's roles in the church were written to mediate disagreement in individual churches and were cultural in nature. It seems Pauls main purpose was to have harmony within the body not to give a blanket instruction as to women's role in the church. See : Galatians 3:28, “In Christ now there is neither bond nor free, Scythian nor Barbarian, "male nor female"; all are one in Christ Jesus.” Mary Magdalene was the first to see Jesus. Why did Jesus appear to a woman first? He also spoke to the Samaritan women at the "well" and women then had to be accompanied by a male chaperone but she spoke assertively to Jesus who gave her a "drink of Living Water". Isn't this a symbolic of women's place in the church? I think Jesus death has set women free. The gift of the Holy spirit is given to both man and woman. If the bible really does restrict women from teaching in church, then it also restricts women from speaking in church. Because To be "SILENT" means, do not talk, just "LISTEN" I see no reason why women in the church today hold duties like teaching Sunday school, singing in the choir, usher, children bible teacher or even the phone answering. This means the church is not consistant. The truth is that, both men and women in the New Testament were given the gift of the HOLY SPIRIT. This is what makes the NT a New Testament rather than the OT in which women did not have such privileges. His conversation with the Samaritan women at the "well" which was not permitted in the OT law. He was first seen by a woman when he Ressurected. It's up to God to judge because He uses women in the old testament to teach his Word to "everyone" (including men). According to the bible, Deborah even went to war with a man because He refused to go without her. Scripture says she "taught" the children of Israel as well as "judged" them. My question is, If God wants to use a woman to get His word across, then who are we to say He can't? When Christ was born into the world scene woman were considered little or something to be bought and sold. They were considered incapable of learning theological or spiritual truth. Take For example,t he Jewish Talmud (discussions on the Law) stated that it was better to burn the Torah (Law) than to teach it to a woman. It was no longer thesame when Christ came. 

Jesus spent time with women (John 4, Luke 10:38-42) and ministered with them in His company (Luke 8:1-3). In contrast to other men in His days who would not even allow women to count change in their hands for fear of physical contact, He allowed women to touch Him, see (Mark 5:25-34, Luke 7:36-50) and He touched them (Luke 13:10-13). Thus Jesus elevated women to a position they had not previously held. But He did not exalt them to positions of leadership over men. Preaching the gospel to someone or a group does not make one a leader over Them.

The book of Acts 21:9 also told us about the four daughters of Philip who prophesied. This means they were teachers of God's work" along with thier Father, These women, like all other Christian men and women of their time, received their authority to do God's work directly from Jesus Christ. The four daughters of Philip were already recognized preachers when Paul and those who accompanied him came through the port city of Caesarea. "And on the next day we departed and came to Caesarea; and entering the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we stayed with him. Now this man had four virgin daughters who were prophetesses". (Acts 21:8-9) Romans 16:3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: (This verse does not sound like the female figure was silent, rather, It tells us she supported in the work of Christ.) 

Acts 18:18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow. (This couple were with Paul.

Acts 18:26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and "explained to him the way of God more adequately". (It says "they" which means, the husband and the wife) By "Grace" we all have dominion which is authourity in Christ to do the work of God. Grace means I do not qualify, but i can have it. Its unmerited favour. So, i believe Paul did not mean to say that a woman should not Operates at all in the church "silent", but that they should be moderate and not taking authorities in thier hands. Be it Man or woman, when one is not called to preach/teach, He/she is a deciever. My conclusion is that, the Gift of the Holy Spirit is for both man and woman. 

Nice write-up, Sorry I'd taken so much time to reply. Terribly busy.
As regards the issues you'd raised, The fact that jesus appeared to a woman or women first, I don't see any spiritual significance here except that she was the first witness of the resurrected jesus. Did her seeing jesus first reveal any spiritual/christian principle? My answer is no! perhaps it was a witness of him rising on the third day, but have we learnt anything of christ by this event besides testifying that he is risen? Again, answer still is no!
Anybody can experience christ or the gift if the holy spirit, but that does not make such a person a leader and teacher of doctrine in the church. The gift of the holy-spirit is a GIFT, it does not entitle a person to a position of authority, though these authority positions come with powers of the holy spirit. The office of a pastor, prophet, evangelist, etc is about telling good doctrine from bad(No, i don't mean righteousness from sin ), and men, i know, have a more mindset of right & wrong than women, women tend to want to be involved with a thing that is proven to work while men tend to go a lot on logic & possibilities. The offices of authority are about making judgment of matters even though they obviously work & seem right(And I refer again to the story of Adam & Eve ). Women should be partakers of doctrine after such doctrine is approved by men, A woman should not introduce new doctrine/logic to church. Yes, I know, It's sexist, that's how the secular world attacks christianity, deriding it as a man's religion, saying it is misogynist, etc. Well, that's the way it is and I owe no apologies about this, people now assume that christianity should appease our human sentiments and "christians" are now ashamed of their faith. But the truth still remains that: anybody who believes himself to be christian, then he must conform("take-up his cross & follow" ) and not the other way round. The gospel has never promised to be at peace with our values, but somehow that is what virtually everybody expects. This is an "anti-christ" spirit.
When Paul says a woman should be quiet, it doesn't mean literal "quiet", it simply means that she should not dictate the direction the church goes, or what values the church adopts, else, she's more likely to be mislead. If you are preaching doctrine that is already established to up-and-coming/new members or outsiders, that's not taking authority, you are simply passing a message across. Likewise for gifts of the holy spirit.

2 Likes

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by jcross19: 6:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
obadiah777: HE IS PART RIGHT AND PART WRONG. A WOMAN CAN TEACH BUT SHE CAN ONLY TEACH WOMEN AND CHILDREN 1 TIMOTHY 2 VS 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
that quote was written by paul not christ , i only obey the teaching of christ not paul because paul teaching is been influence by his personal view . but the the teaching of christ never exclude any sex or race okay.... don't the quotation of paul confuse you okay because was trying to assert the old religion to the new where woman was been treated like a slave but christ make us equal.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 20, 2012
plappville:
How do you expect a woman who is instructed to keep silent to teach Children or her fellow woman? Where did the Bible says this? Silent is silent, abi no be the meaning be that? Be silent, dont speak. Do no work. Na wa, no wonder Apostle Peter warns that some of Pauls writing are hard to understand. No wonder some people will misinterprete them.
I dont think you are instructed to be mute. Teach children and women but not men. its simple and straightforward. when it says be silent, it means when he is giving instructions.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
jcross19: that quote was written by paul not christ , i only obey the teaching of christ not paul because paul teaching is been influence by his personal view . but the the teaching of christ never exclude any sex or race okay.... don't the quotation of paul confuse you okay because was trying to assert the old religion to the new where woman was been treated like a slave but christ make us equal.
the saints and Christ have the spirit of God. they are joint heirs in the kingdom. if you would not listen to Paul, then you would not listen to God. its as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 1:53am On Sep 30, 2012
okeyxyz:

Nice write-up, Sorry I'd taken so much time to reply. Terribly busy.
As regards the issues you'd raised, The fact that jesus appeared to a woman or women first, I don't see any spiritual significance here except that she was the first witness of the resurrected jesus. Did her seeing jesus first reveal any spiritual/christian principle? My answer is no! perhaps it was a witness of him rising on the third day, but have we learnt anything of christ by this event besides testifying that he is risen? Again, answer still is no!
Anybody can experience christ or the gift if the holy spirit, but that does not make such a person a leader and teacher of doctrine in the church. The gift of the holy-spirit is a GIFT, it does not entitle a person to a position of authority, though these authority
positions come with powers of the holy spirit. The office of a pastor, prophet, evangelist, etc is about telling good doctrine from bad(No, i don't mean righteousness from sin ), and men, i know, have a more mindset of right & wrong than women, women tend to
want to be involved with a thing that is proven to work while men tend to go a lot on logic & possibilities. The offices of authority are about making judgment of matters even though they obviously work & seem right(And I refer again to the story of Adam & Eve ).
Women should be partakers of doctrine after such doctrine is approved by men, A woman should not introduce new doctrine/logic to church. Yes, I know, It's sexist, that's how the secular world attacks christianity, deriding it as a man's religion, saying it is
misogynist, etc. Well, that's the way it is and I owe no apologies about this, people now assume that christianity should appease our human sentiments and "christians" are now ashamed of their faith. But the truth still remains that: anybody who believes himself to be christian, then he must conform("take-up his cross & follow" ) and not the other way
round. The gospel has never promised to be at peace with our values, but somehow that is what virtually everybody expects. This is an "anti-christ" spirit.
When Paul says a woman should be quiet, it doesn't mean literal "quiet", it simply
means that she should not dictate the direction the church goes, or what values the church adopts, else, she's more likely to be mislead. If you are preaching doctrine that is already established to up-and-coming/new members or outsiders, that's not taking
authority, you are simply passing a message across. Likewise for gifts of the holy spirit.

Thank you very much, i get it clearer this time. Christ kept a good relationship with Women in the NT, and this was forbiden in the OT. This alone is Freedom to women. But at thesame time He never made Women Head over a man as clearly seen in the scripture. God bless you for taking your time.

He is the Head of the Church, so as Husband is the Head of his wife.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 2:01am On Sep 30, 2012
obadiah777: I dont think you are instructed to be mute. Teach children and women but not men. its simple and straightforward. when it says be silent, it means when he is giving instructions.

If we are to hold on to the word "Silent" i think women will not even make suggestion or even contribute in anything in the church. But looking at the gift of the Holy spirit which is given to both man and woman, i come to understand what PAUL meant.

May God give us the strenght to continue in His truth.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 2:10am On Sep 30, 2012
obadiah777: the saints and Christ have the spirit of God. they are joint heirs in the kingdom. if you would not listen to Paul, then you would not listen to God. its as simple as that.

True talk. Many Christian finds some of Pauls writings contradicting that of Christ.
But this is because they fail to agree that Some of the Apostle Paul's writting are hard to understand. According to 2 peter.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 30, 2012
plappville:

If we are to hold on to the word "Silent" i think women will not even make suggestion or even contribute in anything in the church. But looking at the gift of the Holy spirit which is given to both man and woman, i come to understand what PAUL meant.

May God give us the strenght to continue in His truth.
IF YOU GET TO UNDERSTAND PAULS DEFINITION OF CHURCH, THEN YOU WILL BE COMFORTABLE WITH HIS SUGGESTION. PAULS DEFINITION OF CHURCH IS NOT SITTING IN A BUILDING WITH 10,000 PEOPLE ALL WEARING THEIR BEST ATTIRES AND LISTENING TO ONE MAN. I THINK I SEE THIS IS WHY MODERN WOMEN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PAUL. THEY WANT TO BE A PART OF THE WHOLE JOLLOFMENT IN MODERN DAY CHURCH. WHEN PAUL MEANS CHURCH, HE MEANS WALKING AROUND FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY WEARING RAGS AND HAVING TO DEPEND ON THE GOODWILL OF OTHERS FOR HIS FOOD WHILE HE TRAVELS AROUND WITH HIS FELLOW SAINTS SPREADING THE WORD TO THE WORLD. SCRIPTURE SAYS 'WHERE TWO OR MORE ARE GATHERED IN MY NAME THERE WILL I BE'. THAT IS THE REAL CHURCH. SCRIPTURE SAYS ' GO TO THE HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS AND TELL THE PEOPLE TO COME INTO MY HOUSE'. THIS IS THE REAL CHURCH. WALKING ON THE STREETS AND LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO CONVERT. THIS IS HOW IT WAS DONE THEN BEFORE THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN THE 12000s DECIDED TO START ERECTING BUILDINGS CALLED CHURCHES. THE TEMPLES THEY HAD BACK IN THOSE DAYS WERE ONLY FOR LEVITICAL SACRIFICES AND ONLY THE LEVITES COULD GO IN. SO MY WHOLE POINT IS I DONT THINK WOMEN WILL BE ARGUING TO BE A PART OF A TRAVELLING PACK OF BEDRAGGLED HUNGRY MEN WHO GO UP AND DOWN TO PREACH THE GOSPEL AND IF A WOMAN IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO, THEN SHE SHOULD BE SILENT WHILE THE MEN HANDLE THE PREACHING. THOSE WERE PATRIARCHAL TIMES. THESE ARE MATRIARCHAL TIMES WHICH ARE A SIGN OF THE FALL OF MAN. SCRIPTURE SAYS THAT

JEREMIAH 31 VS 32 How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.
Re: A Pastor Wrote This To Me...... by plappville(f): 3:56pm On Sep 30, 2012
obadiah777: IF YOU GET TO UNDERSTAND PAULS DEFINITION OF CHURCH, THEN YOU WILL BE COMFORTABLE WITH HIS SUGGESTION. PAULS DEFINITION OF CHURCH IS NOT SITTING IN A BUILDING WITH 10,000 PEOPLE ALL WEARING THEIR BEST ATTIRES AND LISTENING TO ONE MAN. I THINK I SEE THIS IS WHY MODERN WOMEN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PAUL. THEY WANT TO BE A PART OF THE WHOLE JOLLOFMENT IN MODERN DAY CHURCH. WHEN PAUL MEANS CHURCH, HE MEANS WALKING AROUND FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY WEARING RAGS AND HAVING TO DEPEND ON THE GOODWILL OF OTHERS FOR HIS FOOD WHILE HE TRAVELS AROUND WITH HIS FELLOW SAINTS SPREADING THE WORD TO THE WORLD. SCRIPTURE SAYS 'WHERE TWO OR MORE ARE GATHERED IN MY NAME THERE WILL I BE'. THAT IS THE REAL CHURCH. SCRIPTURE SAYS ' GO TO THE HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS AND TELL THE PEOPLE TO COME INTO MY HOUSE'. THIS IS THE REAL CHURCH. WALKING ON THE STREETS AND LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO CONVERT. THIS IS HOW IT WAS DONE THEN BEFORE THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN THE 12000s DECIDED TO START ERECTING BUILDINGS CALLED CHURCHES. THE TEMPLES THEY HAD BACK IN THOSE DAYS WERE ONLY FOR LEVITICAL SACRIFICES AND ONLY THE LEVITES COULD GO IN. SO MY WHOLE POINT IS I DONT THINK WOMEN WILL BE ARGUING TO BE A PART OF A TRAVELLING PACK OF BEDRAGGLED HUNGRY MEN WHO GO UP AND DOWN TO PREACH THE GOSPEL AND IF A WOMAN IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO, THEN SHE SHOULD BE SILENT WHILE THE MEN HANDLE THE PREACHING. THOSE WERE PATRIARCHAL TIMES. THESE ARE MATRIARCHAL TIMES WHICH ARE A SIGN OF THE FALL OF MAN. SCRIPTURE SAYS THAT

JEREMIAH 31 VS 32 How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.

I grab your point now bros....., God bless!

(1) (Reply)

Christians/muslims What Have You Learnt From Atheists On Nairaland? / Obama Acknowledges Christ Embassy Yookos / I Am Sorry If Your Not A Christian, This Will Offend You But Think Of This ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.