Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,716 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous (3383 Views)

Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example / Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. / Difference Between Traditional Paganism And Abrahamic Monotheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by ijawkid(m): 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2012
Rich4god: @ijawkid... What do you have to say about John 1:1. And what did Jesus mean when He said that "I and the Father are one".

So u mean since u'v been readn d bible u don't know what d expression "" I and the Father are one"" means??

Please read these verses and tell me what oneness means......

John 17:20-24

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for
those who will believe in me through their
word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you,
Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also
may be in us, so that the world may believe
that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you
have given me I have given to them, that they
may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them
and you in me, that they may become perfectly
one, so that the world may know that you sent
me and loved them even as you loved me.
24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you
have given me, may be with me where I am, to
see my glory that you have given me because
you loved me before the foundation of the
world. .....

U can do the maths and tell me what Jesus meant by "" I and the Father are one""

1 Like

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 4:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
ijawkid:

So tell us where paul says the HOLY spirit is a GOD or is GOD...

Are u assuming the holy spirit is GOD??

Because I can assume angel gabriel is God almighty too.....

Where is it written that the holy spirit is GOD....show me an explicit verse....

Right here,right now......

Oya start.......
You see, you guys are contraditing yourselfs. Am trying to explain to frosbel that the Holy Spirit is a person in the trinity and not God's spirit, and you are now saying that the H/spirit is not God.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
ijawkid:

So u mean since u'v been readn d bible u don't know what d expression "" I and the Father are one"" means??

Please read these verses and tell me what oneness means......

John 17:20-24

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for
those who will believe in me through their
word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you,
Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also
may be in us, so that the world may believe
that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you
have given me I have given to them, that they
may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them
and you in me, that they may become perfectly
one, so that the world may know that you sent
me and loved them even as you loved me.
24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you
have given me, may be with me where I am, to
see my glory that you have given me because
you loved me before the foundation of the
world. .....

U can do the maths and tell me what Jesus meant by "" I and the Father are one""
And what do you have to say about John 1:1.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by ijawkid(m): 4:50pm On Sep 05, 2012
Rich4god:
And what do you have to say about John 1:1.

What did u deduce from the verses u read as regards oneness??

And before I start with john 1:1.......

I'll want to ask u a lil question......

How many Gods were mentioned in john 1:1.......??

<< John 1:1 >>
New International Version (©1984)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word
was with God, and the Word was God.

Which God was the word with??

And was the word the GOD he was with??

How many persons are talked about in john 1:1??

Compare john 1:1 with (1 john 1:1-3)....
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 5:29pm On Sep 05, 2012
The word is Jesus... The word was God, the word was with God and the word was made flesh... Jesu was with God, Jesus was God and Jesus was made flesh.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by ijawkid(m): 5:31pm On Sep 05, 2012
Rich4god: The word is Jesus... The word was God, the word was with God and the word was made flesh... Jesu was with God, Jesus was God and Jesus was made flesh.

The Word(Jesus) was with GOD...right??

Which GOD??
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2012
ijawkid:

The Word(Jesus) was with GOD...right??

Which GOD??
Thats where the trinity comes in, He was with God the Father.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by nakash: 6:53pm On Sep 05, 2012
There is historical evidence of Jesus Christ living and crucified by the Romans at around 32 AD. The writings by Josephus scribe of Rome mentions Yeshua who was crucified 30-60 years later. The same writer describes the sack of Jerusalem in 70 AD. There thus is reason to co-relate the existence of Jesus Christ ( the shroud may be a myth) but biblical writings visavis historical narrations somehow give credence to their authenticity.
Rich4god:
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by ijawkid(m): 7:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
Rich4god:

So from ur understanding we can say...

1....Yahweh(the Father) who Jesus was with is 1 GOD....

2...Jesus(the figurative word) is also another GOD...

That makes 2 GODs...right??

How many GODs §huld we serve??

Because john 1;1 is indeed speaking of 2 personage....

Father and son....right??

There is nothing trinity about john 1:1....

And where is the holy spirit in john 1:1??

Where was he??

1 Like

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Goshen360(m): 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2012
See as I dey here dey laugh in tongues..... cheesy
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Goshen360(m): 10:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
I stopped attending to many threads here because it often lead to argument and I don't like going in circles.

My question to frosbel and anti-trinity,

Is God, the father called God in the Bible? YES or NO

Is Jesus called God in the bible? Yes or NO

Is the Holy Spirit called God in the bible? YES or NO

Answers to these questions will end all this arguments about trinity or not trinity. Thank you.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by italo: 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2012
ijawkid:

Is "" I AM THAT I AM"" the same with ""I AM""

Let me school u on this.......

""I AM THAT I AM"" which also means "" I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE"" is what best,and closely explains the meaning of the tetragrammaton(YHWH)....

Try putting I am that I am in Jesus's statement....

""Before abraham was I am that I am""

Or

"" Before abraham was I will be what I will be""

Does it make sense??

Or what if Jesus said ""before abraham was I WILL BE"".....
How does that sound??

""I am "" is nobodies name mr.......

Teacher! What you are saying is in contradiction to God's word.

Exodus 3:13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.[c] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Did you see that? "I AM is God's name, according to God. But according to you, "I AM is nobody's name.

I choose to believe God, not you.

ijawkid: The pharisees were actually wondering how Jesus could know so much about abraham when he was just in his 30's.....

..And Jesus made them know he had existed as a spirit being in heaven b4 coming to the earth.....

Before abraham was "" I AM"" proves Jesus's pre-existence in heaven b4 coming to the earth,not that he is Yahweh........

Question: Jesus had said many things to show his pre-existence in heaven during the long dialogue he had with the Jews in John 8, but they didn't try to stone him. Why is when he said "...I AM" that did they picked up stones to stone him?

Answer: The Jews knew that "I AM" is God's name and they tried to stone him for blasphemy.

Question 2: John 18:6 says "When Jesus said, “I AM he,” they drew back and fell to the ground." Why did they draw back and fall to the ground?

Literally, the verse says I AM, as the "he" is not in the Greek, which says EGO EMI (I AM). In Jn. 8:58 the learned Jews understood what Jesus was claiming, but being blind to who He really was, "Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by." (v. 59)."Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour." Isa 45:15.

ijawkid: If with all what frosbel has written to show u Jesus isnt Yahweh then I still don't knw what can help.....

How can ""I AM"" since that's d new meaning or an equivalent of Yahweh came to d earth and didn't know when the world would end,but rather said only 1 person(of which he isn't that person) knows d day and hour,??

Would Jesus not be suffering from multiple personality disorder to not know when the world would end if he is Yahweh??

I don't know why you think that a person cannot be two things at the same time. Jesus was God; but also the Son of God. If the mystery is too hard for you to believe, then you wouldn't believe these either: Jesus was divine but also human. Jesus is the Son of God, but also the Son of Man, the Son of Mary.

ijawkid: Besides u haven't answered frosbels question if Yahweh can die??

Can Yahweh die??
If YES then Yahweh isn't GOD almighty...

If NO,then Jesus isn't Yahweh....

Chikena!!!!!!!........

It depends on what you mean by death. If it is the kind of death that Adam and Eve died after eating the forbidden fruit, Yahweh cannot die. But if it is the death that Yahweh who came to earth in human flesh suffered, Yes.

Afterall, Jesus said he who eats his flesh and drinks his blood shall never die. It means that Jesus himself never died, in a sense.

So what kind of death are you talking about?

ijawkid:
Let the I AM expression not decieve u my bro......

We use that expression everyday,...that doesn't make us Yahweh does it??

The fact that we use it everyday doesn't have any effect on whether or not it is God's name. What makes it God's name is that God said so, period! People use "God" as an exclamation, does that take away its meaning? No!

1 Like

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by italo: 6:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
ijawkid:

So from ur understanding we can say...

1....Yahweh(the Father) who Jesus was with is 1 GOD....

2...Jesus(the figurative word) is also another GOD...

Wrong! If it was so, John 1 would have said "in the beginning was the word, and the word was with A god, and the word was A god." Rather, it says "in the beginning was the word, was with God, and the word was God."

Sometimes you should drop your Bible and read a grammar text book.

ijawkid:
That makes 2 GODs...right??

Wrong! Two persons, one God.

ijawkid:
How many GODs §huld we serve??

Because john 1;1 is indeed speaking of 2 personage....

Father and son....right??

There is nothing trinity about john 1:1....

There is 'something' trinity there. The verse talks about two of the three persons of the Trinity and how the are two persons but one God. There are other verses that talk about all three persons.

And where is the holy spirit in john 1:1??

Where was he??[/quote]

Forgive me, but dumb question. Why don't you tell us where the Holy Spirit was.

1 Like

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel: Jesus Christ is not Yahweh , he is distinct from Yahweh but is Co-Equal with the Father in ONE purpose

what does this mean Jesus is Co-equal with father? Are you saying Jesus is another God besides Yahweh? That not very monotheism

Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Fr0sbel: 10:21am On Sep 07, 2012
gent paris:

what does this mean Jesus is Co-equal with father? Are you saying Jesus is another God besides Yahweh? That not very monotheism

In purpose and will , they are co-equal.

However in essence or personality they are not. God is greater than Jesus as Jesus said , My Father is greater than I.

Jesus Christ totally accepted the will of God throughout his entire life, in other words his will was swallowed up with the will of GOD.

He expressed the mind of GOD exactly as GOD meant it to be.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

Baptised in the name of Trinity ?

Where did you get this from.

The Father = Yahweh
The SON = Jesus Christ
Holy Spirit = God's spirit which indwells the believer

Does God have 2 spirits or 1 , tell me.

God is a Spirit , right ? What about the Holy Spirit, is this not God's spirit too

Also you seem to believe Jesus is the son of God. How is this possible. Did God create Jesus or gave birth to him?
angry
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 07, 2012
gent paris:

Also you seem to believe Jesus is the son of God. How is this possible. Did God create Jesus or gave birth to him?
angry

Ah okay you are a Muhammedian.

Chow !!
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by truthislight: 10:52am On Sep 07, 2012
Fr0sbel:

In purpose and will , they are co-equal.

However in essence or personality they are not. God is greater than Jesus as Jesus said , My Father is greater than I.

Jesus Christ totally accepted the will of God throughout his entire life, in other words his will was swallowed up with the will of GOD.

He expressed the mind of GOD exactly as GOD meant it to be.

@Frosbel.

Have you red Exodus 23:20,21?

What do you say about those verses?

If that angel that bears God's name was to speak to moses, in whose name will he speak and bear?

What will he say his name is?

I wish to hear your views on this thanks.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2012
gent paris:

angry
Frosbel... Plz answer the above question, i realy want to know your view about it.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2012
truthislight:

@Frosbel.

Have you red Exodus 23:20,21?

What do you say about those verses?

If that angel that bears God's name was to speak to moses, in whose name will he speak and bear?

What will he say his name is?

I wish to hear your views on this thanks.

20 “Behold, I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Be on your guard before him and obey his voice; do not be rebellious toward him, for he will not pardon your transgression, since My name is in him.

The angel was God's angel sent to guide the children of Israel , he was given the authority in the name of GOD.

So he was an angel , probably one of God's mighty angels.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 07, 2012
Rich4god:
Frosbel... Plz answer the above question, i realy want to know your view about it.

Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father through the Power of the Holy Spirit or God's Spirit.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by truthislight: 11:17am On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

20 “Behold, I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Be on your guard before him and obey his voice; do not be rebellious toward him, for he will not pardon your transgression, since My name is in him.

The angel was God's angel sent to guide the children of Israel , he was given the authority in the name of GOD.

So he was an angel , probably one of God's mighty angels.

but was authorised to bear whose name?
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Rich4god(m): 11:21am On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father through the Power of the Holy Spirit or God's Spirit.
Begotten... As in, created by God... or what?
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 07, 2012
truthislight:

but was authorised to bear whose name?

The authority of Yahweh's name.

If I came to your house with the authority of the King to protect your city from wicked enemies, that simply means I have the full authority as a servant of the king to call up an army in his name to defend your city .
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Areaboy2(m): 11:37am On Sep 07, 2012
LOL! Frosbel, you are on a good track to becoming an atheist.

Thumbs up! I know a guy who had the same doubts and came up with the same conclusions you have made now just to satisfy the questions that pop in his head about the inconsistencies in the bible. In the end, he threw everything away as the religion made less sense to him every passing day.

The more you research, the more you know, the more you know, the sooner you throw religion away.

Two years tops and you'll remember this post here

Cheers mate wink
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by truthislight: 11:39am On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

The authority of Yahweh's name.

If I came to your house with the authority of the King to protect your city from wicked enemies, that simply means I have the full authority as a servant of the king to call up an army in his name to defend your city .

so, as an envoy of the king if it is demanded of you of your authority, what will you put forward?
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 07, 2012
truthislight:

so, as an envoy of the king if it is demanded of you of your authority, what will you put forward?

Yes.

But the question you should ask is, authority to what extent.

Let us use Joseph as a case in point.

"42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his hand and put it on Joseph's hand, and clothed him in garments of fine linen and put a gold chain about his neck. 43 And he made him ride in his second chariot. And they called out before him, “Bow the knee!”[e] Thus he set him over all the land of Egypt. 44 Moreover, Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, and without your consent no one shall lift up hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.” 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphenath-paneah. And he gave him in marriage Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera priest of On. So Joseph went out over the land of Egypt." - Genesis 41

Joseph was not Pharaoh, but he was operating under the authority of Pharaoh.

Another example is arch angel Micheal who rebuked SATAN not in his own name or authoity but in the name of the Lord, Yahweh.

"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" - Jude 1:9
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 07, 2012
Area_boy: LOL! Frosbel, you are on a good track to becoming an atheist.

Thumbs up! I know a guy who had the same doubts and came up with the same conclusions you have made now just to satisfy the questions that pop in his head about the inconsistencies in the bible. In the end, he threw everything away as the religion made less sense to him every passing day.

The more you research, the more you know, the more you know, the sooner you throw religion away.

Two years tops and you'll remember this post here

Cheers mate wink

Wishful thinking.

I have no doubts grin

Jesus is LORD , Amen.
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Areaboy2(m): 12:27pm On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

Wishful thinking.

I have no doubts grin

Jesus is LORD , Amen.

I'm sure you do, I'm sure you do smiley
See you on the other side soon bro wink
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by truthislight: 2:07pm On Sep 07, 2012
frosbel:

Yes.

But the question you should ask is, authority to what extent.

Let us use Joseph as a case in point.

"42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his hand and put it on Joseph's hand, and clothed him in garments of fine linen and put a gold chain about his neck. 43 And he made him ride in his second chariot. And they called out before him, “Bow the knee!”[e] Thus he set him over all the land of Egypt. 44 Moreover, Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, and without your consent no one shall lift up hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.” 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphenath-paneah. And he gave him in marriage Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera priest of On. So Joseph went out over the land of Egypt." - Genesis 41

Joseph was not Pharaoh, but he was operating under the authority of Pharaoh.

Another example is arch angel Micheal who rebuked SATAN not in his own name or authoity but in the name of the Lord, Yahweh.

"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" - Jude 1:9

it shows that Yahweh does delegate other Angels to come to earth on his behalf and that does not make those Angel's Yahweh.

People should read the bible well and stop following tradition.

Peace
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Image123(m): 2:13pm On Sep 07, 2012
dangerous, how?
Re: Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
Cognitive dissonance:
–noun Psychology .

anxiety that results from simultaneously holding contradictory or otherwise incompatible attitudes, beliefs, or the like, as when one accepts the trinity doctrine. Jehovah God is not a God of confusion. He wants us to know. Jeremiah 33:3

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Jesus Exist? The Evidence Doesn't Hold Up - Washington Post. / The Bizzare Crucifixion Of Jesus / VIDEO: Bird Turns Into Half-naked Woman, Exposes TB Joshua!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.