Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG (6008 Views)

Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy / Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination / Boko Haram Killing North’s Economy -fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by youngies(m): 9:21am On Sep 04, 2012
The Federal Government, yesterday, said that the domestic economic performance has improved, to the extent that it is now ranking 39th among the leading economies in the world.

Inaugurating the Central Working Committee on the review of the implementation of the 1st National Implementation Plan (NIP) for the Vision 20-2020 in Abuja, the Minister of National Planning, Dr. Shamsuddeen Usman, explained that the development showed clearly that the ongoing Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government, particularly its three-phased National Implementation Plan components, is achieving the desired results.

With the new ranking, the minister projected that the performance would get better if the ongoing GDP rebasing exercise is concluded.

The minister described the work of the committee as crucial to government’s efforts to reposition the nation’s economy as one of the biggest globally by 2020 and therefore assured them of necessary support that would help them accomplish their assignment.

Usman said: “What gets measured is done. By setting a target and measuring the progress that we are making we are more likely to achieve, not just sitting back. Like I used to say during the opening exercise, we may wake up by 2020 if we don’t do anything systematic and find out that we are now number 50 from 44.

“But from the way we are tracking and really pushing, we are already.

“I think, unfortunately the Statistician General is out of the country but is represented and I have not cross-checked with the latest GDP growth rate, but the last time I checked, we have actually climbed to about 39 from the 44 we have been.

“So you can see we are making progress there in terms of GDP Per Capital and we are going to make another big progress when the GDP rebasing figures come out.”

According to him, the first NIP, which commenced in 2010, is scheduled for completion next year and it provides a strong foundation for the implementation of subsequent plans in the next eight years.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2393-fg-nigeria-now-39th-worlds-largest-economy
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by PaulJohn1: 9:54am On Sep 04, 2012
Great, we're getting there.
But our economy still seems to colaps soon, because I don't see any long lasting strong economy of a consuming nation competing with producing countries.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by slimming: 10:39am On Sep 04, 2012
Paul John: Great, we're getting there.
But our economy still seems to colaps soon, because I don't see any long lasting strong economy of a consuming nation competing with producing countries.

All we are getting is corruption and poverty. Nigeria is among the world biggest crude oil exporting countries but poor talkless of economy rating at no 39th.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Biggyd2: 12:16pm On Sep 04, 2012
How has this position changed or affected the live of the common man in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Rhino5dm: 3:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Story!
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by savcy(m): 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2012
Nob our mates dey first 10 countries?? Our leaders always settle for less. D curent Nigerian economy is a no-economy as far as I knw.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Afam4eva(m): 3:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
How does having the 39th largest economy affect the life of the average Nigerian. Abeg, these people should stop insulting our sensibility.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by bunmioguns(m): 3:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
who will believe this bullsh.i.t?
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by SisiKill1: 3:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
“I think, unfortunately the Statistician General is out of the country but is represented and I have not cross-checked with the latest GDP growth rate, but the last time I checked, we have actually climbed to about 39 from the 44 we have been.

“So you can see we are making progress there in terms of GDP Per Capital and we are going to make another big progress when the GDP rebasing figures come out.”

Oh Jeeedus!! Who writes these people's speeches for them?? They should be FIRED ASAP.

And If they don't have speech writers, they should get one STAT and stop with the verbal diarrhea!!

My God. . .what is this crap?

The Statistician General is out of the country??!!
(So you don't know for sure)

You have not double checked??!! (Basically, you don't know for sure)

The Last time you checked??!! (When sir? When? So bottomline. . .you don't know for sure)

. . . .Then what the hell are you doing giving freaking press conference??!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Tinyemeka(m): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
Crappy news. I did not find anything enlightening about the report.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Clerverly: 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
If na joke, make una stop am oh. Una hear!
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by princemol: 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
youngies: The Federal Government, yesterday, said that the domestic economic performance has improved, to the extent that it is now ranking 39th among the leading economies in the world.

Inaugurating the Central Working Committee on the review of the implementation of the 1st National Implementation Plan (NIP) for the Vision 20-2020 in Abuja, the Minister of National Planning, Dr. Shamsuddeen Usman, explained that the development showed clearly that the ongoing Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government, particularly its three-phased National Implementation Plan components, is achieving the desired results.

With the new ranking, the minister projected that the performance would get better if the ongoing GDP rebasing exercise is concluded.

The minister described the work of the committee as crucial to government’s efforts to reposition the nation’s economy as one of the biggest globally by 2020 and therefore assured them of necessary support that would help them accomplish their assignment.

Usman said: “What gets measured is done. By setting a target and measuring the progress that we are making we are more likely to achieve, not just sitting back. Like I used to say during the opening exercise, we may wake up by 2020 if we don’t do anything systematic and find out that we are now number 50 from 44.

“But from the way we are tracking and really pushing, we are already.

According to him, the first NIP, which commenced in 2010, is scheduled for completion next year and it provides a strong foundation for the implementation of subsequent plans in the next eight years.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2393-fg-nigeria-now-39th-worlds-largest-economy
economy wey no affect d lives of d common men. mediocre report!!!
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by 1forall: 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Oh Jeeedus!! Who writes these people's speeches for them?? They should be FIRED ASAP.

And If they don't have speech writers, they should get one STAT and stop with the verbal diarrhea!!

My God. . .what is this crap?

The Statistician General is out of the country??!!
(So you don't know for sure)

You have not double checked??!! (Basically, you don't know for sure)

The Last time you checked??!! (When sir? When? So bottomline. . .you don't know for sure)

. . . .Then what the hell are you doing giving freaking press conference??!!

I'm glad to read a critical, sensible response to the bullcrap said by that guy. A great majority of Nigerian public officials are a simple waste of space, talk less of the public resources they squander and loot!

IF he delivered this kind of speech in a place where people had their heads straight, he'll be out of a job before the week runs out angry
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by gst101: 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
more people are beign lifted out of poverty. More people are owning decent houses. Yes, these people owning decent houses are not all elite! In the estate where i live, its only the ordinary people you will find. Its not as if its simple, but people are doing it. No one wants to pay 250k-300k for just 3bedroom flat anymore. A rent which will expire just within 12months. We dont finish our houses befor packing into it and i a few years, you have a decent structure no one would believe wasnt complete when you packed in. People are owning decent cars today. More people are having satelite tvs to day. A walk down the street even in the suburb will help you confirm. Smart phones are as common as stone today. More people can power their genrators for more hours today than ever before

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by fittty(m): 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
For paper. sad
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by moshmusth(m): 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
Biggyd2: How has this position changed or affected the live of the common man in Nigeria?

Wait small now bro,market price go dey double small small
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by 1forall: 4:03pm On Sep 04, 2012
gst101: more people are beign lifted out of poverty. More people are owning decent houses. Yes, these people owning decent houses are not all elite! In the estate where i live, its only the ordinary people you will find. Its not as if its simple, but people are doing it. No one wants to pay 250k-300k for just 3bedroom flat anymore. A rent which will expire just within 12months. We dont finish our houses befor packing into it and i a few years, you have a decent structure no one would believe wasnt complete when you packed in. People are owning decent cars today. More people are having satelite tvs to day. A walk down the street even in the suburb will help you confirm. Smart phones are as common as stone today. More people can power their genrators for more hours today than ever before

You, my friend, need to return to the zoo you came from angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Shaw007(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2012
I wanna know where we stand in Africa
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Novice1(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2012
Always figures, nothing on the ground.

The only thing growing in the economy is corruption.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Areaboy2(m): 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2012
from 41st to 39th isnt much of an achievement undecided
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by omenziate(m): 4:10pm On Sep 04, 2012
Consolation.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Shaw007(m): 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
Matter of fact this is plain bullshit. . .a country as rich as ours are contented with that??

We really could be more and they know it. . .infact i wont be surprised if that stat drops b4 d year runs out

And they shud av the head of the featherbrain who gave that speech
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by chucky234(m): 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
With a loaf of bread at N250 Nigeria in my opinion should be ranked 100th in the world,only divine intervention will save this country.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by AjanleKoko: 4:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
The economy is definitely growing. It's also normal for government to put a positive spin on things. After all, people voted them in there, and they have to show some kind of performance.

However . . . were it not for corruption, we can easily achieve double-digit YOY growth over the next ten years in Nigeria. Just imagine if the government could achieve an 80% implementation rate YoY on the budget, which would also have to be an 80% CAPEX budget. Not a situation where 75% of government expenditure is OPEX, and the 25% CAPEX hardly gets implemented before the fiscal year runs out.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by sosereal201(m): 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
nigeria leaders have taken us for fools as if we dont knw what's going on
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
At 170 million people ? They should re-evaluate it. I thought we around 17th or so
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by gst101: 4:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
the iyalakara by the road side is making more money today than ever before. This, i know first hand. The enterprenueral spirit is so high. More people are taking to the street to make a living for themselves today than ever before and they are making it. Creativity has never this high! Today, even uni graduates are selling akara by the road side and i am talking about men not ladies! More nigerians can travel by air even though the fairs are so high. Apart from by road, air is by far the biggest means of transportation in nigeria and the traffic increases as the year goes by. This shows an increase in purchasing power of the average nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by AjanleKoko: 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
gst101: the iyalakara by the road side is making more money today than ever before. This, i know first hand. The enterprenueral spirit is so high. More people are taking to the street to make a living for themselves today than ever before and they are making it. Creativity has never this high! Today, even uni graduates are selling akara by the road side and i am talking about men not ladies! More nigerians can travel by air even though the fairs are so high. Apart from by road, air is by far the biggest means of transportation in nigeria and the traffic increases as the year goes by. This shows an increase in purchasing power of the average nigerian.

I was just going to say, what kind of kountryman analysis is this? Then I saw your handle, gst101, and became instantly more sympathetic embarassed
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by stunna2(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
6TH MOST POPULOUS NATION IN THE WORLD WITH 39TH BIGGEST ECONOMY N WE NEED TO CELEBRATE THAT HMMMMM

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Delta Avengers Break Cease Fire Bombed Bonny Export Line / Eid-el-fitr: CAN, DPC Felicitate With Muslims / Nigeria, India Set To Sign Bilateral Air Services Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.