Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Getting Married Without A Job - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting Married Without A Job (18849 Views)

I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Three (3) Financial Moves To Make Before Getting Married / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married Without A Job by beqs101(f): 2:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
Hello people

I am a lady who loves being independent,a lady who loves taking care of her business and not always relying solely on her man to provide everything for her. I've always wanted to support my husband when I get married but right now,that isn't the case...

I just got engaged and my fiance and i are planning our wedding but,I'm feeling bad cuz he is gonna be taking care of everything and I won't be able to support him cuz,i'm not working now... Plz I want the married ladies here to share with me their experiences and the men,how they felt when marrying their wives that weren't working.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by coogar: 2:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
beqs101: Hello people

I am a lady who loves being independent,a lady who loves taking care of her business and not always relying solely on her man to provide everything for her. I've always wanted to support my husband when I get married but right now,that isn't the case...

I just got engaged and my fiance and i are planning our wedding but,I'm feeling bad cuz he is gonna be taking care of everything and I won't be able to support him cuz,i'm not working now... Plz I want the married ladies here to share with me their experiences and the men,how they felt when marrying their wives that weren't working.

you are not working now because you're a student? you can't get a job? you're disabled or what? if its a temporary issue, any reasonable man would understand that but you can't afford to let it go past 18-24 months!

6 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2012
Your condition is temporary! If you are a graduate you'll defintley get a job with time.

I can see your fiance doesn't mind so I wouldnt be too worried if I were you.

Just don't 'relax' and and expect him to take care of you for the rest of your life.

Aside from financial independence, a lot of fufilment and self worth can come from having a job as a woman!

Goodluck to you!

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
coogar:

you are not working now because you're a student? you can't get a job? you're disabled or what? if its a temporary issue, any reasonable man would understand that but you can't afford to let it go past 18-24 months!

See this one giving timeline. You keep job for am?

The idea is to keep trying for as long as it takes to get a job. And keep adding value to yourself.

Ask a lot of graduate roaming the streets for 5 years looking for jobs and you'll know it's not that easy![b][/b]

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by coogar: 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ujujoan:
See this one giving timeline. You keep job for am?

so if it takes 10 yrs, she can sit back n do nothing for 10 yrs? come on, be realistic..... she doesn't have to be in a 9-5 to make income. there are plenty of stuff she can be doing by the side to make ends meet!

The idea is to keep trying for as long as it takes to get a job. And keep adding value to yourself. Ask a lot of graduate roaming the streets for 5 years looking for jobs and you'll know it's not that easy!

wait for 5 yrs to get a job? na chevron job? no wonder the average nigerian marriage is hubris these days. why wait 5 yrs to get a N50,000 per month job? this is nigeria we are talking about with no job security - let her go into business and make income instead of waiting forever at home piling up adipose tissues!

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by slimyem: 2:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
Op,since your fiance is not complaining,i don't see what you are worried about.
He knows you aren't working before setting marriage plans in motion and its not like your are forcing him.
He can afford it..let him.
As long as you are not just folding your arms waiting for a miracle job to come to you,you should have no worries.
Keep trying you get something doing while supporting him in other ways you can.
Goodluck!
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
coogar:

so if it takes 10 yrs, she can sit back n do nothing for 10 yrs? come on, be realistic..... she doesn't have to be in a 9-5 to make income. there are plenty of stuff she can be doing by the side to make ends meet!

wait for 5 yrs to get a job? na chevron job? no wonder the average nigerian marriage is hubris these days. why wait 5 yrs to get a N50,000 per month job? this is nigeria we are talking about with no job security - let her go into business and make income instead of waiting forever at home piling up adipose tissues!

I never said she should sit back and do NOTHING. Adding value to ones' self is not exactly 'doing nothing'!

So I ask you, if even receptionist work no come within 2 years, what should she do

I agree that one can go into business but someone with no interest of biz acumen will end up wating h/her capital while trying to make money! I use my humble self as reference

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by beqs101(f): 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ujujoan: Your condition is temporary! If you are a graduate you'll defintley get a job with time.

I can see your fiance doesn't mind so I wouldnt be too worried if I were you.

Just don't 'relax' and and expect him to take care of you for the rest of your life.

Aside from financial independence, a lot of fufilment and self worth can come from having a job as a woman!

Goodluck to you!

Yes Uju I'm a graduate but,I'm yet to do my N.Y.S.C...I didn't just know i will get married this soon.. I'm excited about it though..i won't just relax and thanks for the advice..

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2012
beqs101:

Yes Uju I'm a graduate but,I'm yet to do my N.Y.S.C...I didn't just know i will get married this soon.. I'm excited about it though..i won't just relax and thanks for the advice..

You are welcome ni . . . Don't mind coogar jor . . . putting you on high jump!

But please, don't slack in making yourself useful. Men can change when the responsibilities on running a home starts piling up. You hubby may not really understand the fianancial commitment he's getting into now and reality can make him go nasty.

Try as much as you can not to be extravargant especially with the wedding!

Try and encourage him to save and and spend less on non-neccesities!

Dont go demanding for BB and ipad and brazillian hair and designer clother, just cos he can afford them now!

Buidling a home is EXPENSIVE, especially here in Nigeria.

I'm sure you guys will be fine!

11 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
beqs101:

I was a student myself. Don't stress yourself. Some men know this before they propose and are able to carry you along for as long they financially can.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by coogar: 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ujujoan: embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
I never said she should sit back and do NOTHING. Adding value to ones' self is not exactly 'doing nothing'! So I ask you, if even receptionist work no come within 2 years, what should she do

forget 9-5 and do some petty business. what business acumen does she need in buying and selling? import products and sell at a profit - that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out! an idle mind is dangerous in any marital home!

I agree that one can go into business but someone with no interest of biz acumen will end up wating h/her capital while trying to make money! I use my humble self as reference

there has to be a way out! 2 yrs without doing anything? trouble looms!

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
[sub][/sub]
coogar:

forget 9-5 and do some petty business. what business acumen does she need in buying and selling? import products and sell at a profit - that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out! an idle mind is dangerous in any marital home!

there has to be a way out! 2 yrs without doing anything? trouble looms!

Ok, I hear you!

Stingy man! tongue
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by coogar: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ujujoan: [sub][/sub]
Ok, I hear you!
Stingy man! tongue

stingy ke? i spoil my wife, don't even go there!!!

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 04, 2012
^^^ I bet you do!

Wonder if the case would be same if she wasn't working!
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by maryini(f): 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2012
My Sister bikonu...GO and LOOK for a JOB or start a trade!!! Don't say nobody warned you...cause when your hubby's eyes opens and he start resenting you for draining his financial resources and making no contribution to your family welfare we will hear another story. Your conscience is already giving you warning signals. Ignore at your peril.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by bigx(m): 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2012
beqs101: Hello people

You are not alone, its a widespread thing among women nowadays
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Princek12(m): 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
What!!!!!! Osanobua! Chineke. The poster cannot not be a Nigerian girl. No way. Lai lai.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by stagger: 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
The natural order is for the man to be the provider. So I do not see this as an issue. I would be more worried if the reverse was the case.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by blender1: 10:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
U shud b happy u found a man or else, u n ur independent wud 've been single for d rest of ur lyf.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by EXCELLENCEAbia: 10:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
you are going to be embarrassed with job but never forget to testify
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by scribble: 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Princek12: What!!!!!! Osanobua! Chineke. The poster cannot not be a Nigerian girl. No way. Lai lai.

LMBO! Guy u talk am, but to be sincere there are some gems in the dirt that we call Nigeria, some really good women, with good hearts and great minds.

The overflow of devils taint their luster so much but they are there. May you find such a queen too my brother

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by MMM2(m): 10:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
Do u want 2 quit d marriage
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by somebodybobo: 10:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
Someone who hears you talk abt this would think you are really feeling for him, whereas u dont care undecided undecided...BARAWO BANZA angry angry
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by sdiq: 10:53pm On Sep 04, 2012
me never marry so i no fit talk jare
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by scribble: 10:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
somebodybobo: Someone who hears you talk abt this would think you are really feeling for him, whereas u dont care undecided undecided...BARAWO BANZA angry angry

:oits unbelievable right. some babes dey o brav. its in their caring nature as women. poverty and deep havent eaten that deep into the land. u need to have faith to keep your sanity. besides this one feels true.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by 401kk: 10:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
I even thought you were a man. This is not a big deal, most nigerian marriages are financed by the men because they see it as an obligation.
It is good that you're worried about you lack of financial contribution towards the wedding, at least it shows that you understand what modern relationships are about.
Love your husband and take care of him, I pray he reciprocates. Goodluck
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by azpekuliar: 10:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
somebodybobo: Someone who hears you talk abt this would think you are really feeling for him, whereas u dont care undecided undecided...BARAWO BANZA angry angry

LWTMB..... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by SisiKill1: 11:06pm On Sep 04, 2012

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by fboycaestro(m): 11:12pm On Sep 04, 2012
My dear sis...its a good thing that u have found a man now but the problem is that he maybe capable of taking care of the finances now but I bet you when it gets to the point that he won't be able to do that again because he his not getting support from you...then problem begins and u will be the one to remind me that why did he take u away from your parent when he his not ready...The only way this can work out is that you talk to him to get u some funds and u can start up a petty trade with that...with that u don't have to wait for him to come before u buy a c'mon Garri.Wedding plans shouldn't be extravagant and u can help him by not being too demanding till you get a good Job to help the family with....God help u in ur quest

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3-Day-Old Baby Abandoned In Front Of A Church In Lagos (Photos) / How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John / ''my Husband Emeka Okojie Is Trying To Kill Me'' - Nigerian Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.