Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention (18533 Views)

Michelle Obama Wants To Divorce Barack Obama - National Enquirer / Barack Obama's Speech At The DNC 2012 / Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Nobody: 1:15am On Sep 06, 2012
manny4life: ^^^
Let me borrow your own statement "You just posted an essay ridden with verbose, without actually saying anything..."

As usual, you NEVER fail to disappoint. STOP beating around the bush and get straight to the point.

You claimed Obama did not rescue the Detroit car manufacturers which are lies.
Obama rescued these companies, go back and read it again,

GM and GMAC (an arm of GM) got more than $28billin,

Chrysler and Ford Motors got combined more than $6billion,

So what are you talking about?

Bush initiated it, so what? Bottom line is that Obama tapped into the loans and doled out about $34billion to GM, FORD and Chrysler. Aren't there other programs that Bush inherited from Clinton?

The monies they got, was it not paid back? Wasn't the money from the TARP loan? I'm trying hard to understand what you're talking about, Or do you think TARP was ONLY for mortgage/financial institutions ONLY?

GM restructured and is in good shape at least as of last year, they paid back their loans and moving on, so if they're in bad shape now, did it mean Obama hadn't rescued them? He saved tens of thousands of jobs when they needed him the most, that's why he's loved in Detroit... go and ask

We're talking about the Detroit three, and you, you've digressed talking about mortgage... seriously?

He 'rescued' them, but how is Detroit doing?

This is how Obama rescued GM:

The “number-one automaker” assertion is no more accurate. Obama’s sales totals include 1.2 million mostly cheap commercial vehicles built by China’s Wuling, a company in which GM owns a small stake, and it excludes sales by vehicle makers in which Volkswagen owns a majority share. Fortune magazine lists GM’s revenue as smaller than Toyota’s and Volkswagen’s.

The only real winners from the GM bailout were unions, which were protected from pay cuts, from losing their right to overtime pay after less than 40 hours a week, and from cuts to their extremely generous benefits. They faced only minor tweaks in their inefficient union work rules.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300075/obama-and-gm-cook-books-john-lott-jr#
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by manny4life(m): 1:23am On Sep 06, 2012
shymexx:

He 'rescued' them, but how is Detroit doing?

This is how Obama rescued GM:

How are they doing? Well, they are doing great. Every business is suffering in this recession period though the recession is easing out. Car sales has been up at least, since last year, so good news. Now they might be running a lil behind which is common, BUT not terrible bad shape like they were (close to filing a Chapter 11).

My friend STOP being mischievous, every car that was sold in the U.S. was manufactured "MADE IN U.S.A ". The money doled out to them was strictly for U.S. manufacturing, and YES, they paid it back. Everyone knows labor is expensive here in the U.S., so what's the fuss about? I don't even like unions but what's the big deal?
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Nobody: 1:32am On Sep 06, 2012
manny4life:
How are they doing? Well, they are doing great. Every business is suffering in this recession period though the recession is easing out. Car sales has been up at least, since last year, so good news. Now they might be running a lil behind which is common, BUT not terrible bad shape like they were (close to filing a Chapter 11).

They are doing great and Detroit is still a mess, nah? How many jobs has GM created since the bailout? And despite the bailout, GM's revenue is still smaller than Toyota’s and Volkswagen.

My friend STOP being mischievous, every car that was sold in the U.S. was manufactured "MADE IN U.S.A ". The money doled out to them was strictly for U.S. manufacturing, and YES, they paid it back. Everyone knows labor is expensive here in the U.S., so what's the fuss about? I don't even like unions but what's the big deal?

How did they pay it back? By paying one TARP loan with another.

Claims that GM paid back its TARP loan are true but misleading. President Obama clearly wants to create the impression that all the money given to the auto companies has been paid back. But the $6.7 billion loan to GM was just a tiny fraction of the money given to it. As TARP special inspector general Neil Barofsky explained, GM used “other TARP money” to pay off the loan.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300075/obama-and-gm-cook-books-john-lott-jr#

PS: I'm not being 'mischievous' - I admire America and the resilience of the American spirit... I also believe America is the most powerful country in the world, but I'm a realist..

About to watch the NFL opener between NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys... wink

NFC East, baby... Go Philly Eagles!!! cool
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by manny4life(m): 1:33am On Sep 06, 2012
BTW, people are entitled to their opinions no mater how tue or false it is, so with regards to the link you put up there, if that's their own view, so be it. I'm sure other bloggers, writers, analysts etc have different views opposite from what's written in that article. Just like the contention of Obamacare (whether it saves/waste money), there's been numerous analysis out there, it's up to individuals to piece information together
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Nobody: 1:36am On Sep 06, 2012
Hey, just dispelling the myths about Obama... He was hyped but he turned out to be a mediocre President... I don't hate the brother but I'll never forget Libya and all those innocent Nigerian women I saw on BBC that were raped by the Arab Jihadists... And all those Nigerian men beheaded on youtube by the Arabs... Obama doesn't like Africans!! cool
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by manny4life(m): 1:41am On Sep 06, 2012
Well, you should ask Timothy Geithner how did GM, Chrysler and Ford pay back their loans.

Again like I told you, GM restructured as a term of the bail out. Most of their staff were retired early (good for them), and they restructured. By doing so, they took out those earning $50/hr and hired $20/hr. You get the idea, that's how they restructured...So if you want to know how many jobs GM created, write into Bureau of Labor Statistics, better yet, contact the GM Office of Personnel Management...

GM revenue could be small for one or more reasons that you and I don't know. Then again, that's someone's opinion, put up data and stats, let compare given equal variables then we'll see if it's indeed true.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Nobody: 1:49am On Sep 06, 2012
Why should I ask Timothy Geithner, when I already posted what TARP special inspector general, Neil Barofsky said about GM's alleged 'repayment'?

Quote again:

TARP special inspector general Neil Barofsky explained, GM used “other TARP money” to pay off the loan.

Another proof from a different source:

The administration forced out the CEO of General Motors, Rick Wagoner

FOIA, (Freedom of Information Act), filings found that GM’s TV ad campaign last year that misleadingly* claimed that the company had paid back its government loan in full was approved by the administration. They also uncovered e-mails between GM CEO Ed Whitacre and various Treasury and other federal officials a month in advance of GM’s announcement of TARP loan repayments. These emails included draft schedules, draft remarks to be given by Mr. Whitacre, and draft press releases from both GM and the Treasury Department.

*GM did not payback the TARP loans as their announcement appeared to say. They only paid back one particular loan package of $6.7 billion - not the $49.5 billion the announcement implied. Even worse was that GM also did not repay the loan with monies and profits from the newly invigorated company - they paid it back with more TARP funds from another TARP escrow account, none of the repayment funds came from GM monies.

http://gaanderson.hubpages.com/hub/Obama-General-Motors-GM-Tarp-Bailout-Untold-Details
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Nobody: 2:38am On Sep 06, 2012
Mumbo Jumbo. No substance. They can only deceive and manipulate shallow people with all that.

The Obama's are just trying too hard to fit in. Just be yourselves mehn. Gangstanism - mostly black kids are being smoked steady in their backyard in south side Chicago: where is the outrage from Washington? Charity begins at home man.

America is fundamentally shaken. The baby boomer generation understands this. The younger generation are in denial - which is worse than suicide and people going postal and killing people unnecessarily out of frustration.. Obama is being used as a camouflage - a front job.

These couple emphasize their backgrounds and trying to come across as being in touch with the average Joe when it only comes to making speeches on a grand night to score sympathy and sway the Dokita's. Black people are emotionally satisfied that couple of folks who at least look like them in the white house built by negro slaves are the president and first lady of owned U S of A.

For you to really understand what is happening underneath, you need to dig deeper. And that would warrant in depth research; which our people are very much allergic to.

No time to start digging up facts on the bad policies and downward trajectory that has gripped the "American spirit and resilience". The American spirit has been comprised and would need more than bail outs and well choreographed speeches to redeem. Time will tell.

This is all show man. The more you look, the less you see. Shine your eyes fellas!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by beldcat(m): 3:22am On Sep 06, 2012
it's not just about good speeches & humble backgrounds ...it's about action and getting results.unfortunately her husband(barack) hasn't really delivered on the promises he made 4yrs ago.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by shilling(f): 5:08am On Sep 06, 2012
Thanks for posting the speech, I missed the broadcast. Amazing speech!
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by teezlycrest(m): 6:42am On Sep 06, 2012
And she didn't tell us how the husband position helped to pull down our world bank candidate Ngozi! Smh
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by monkel: 8:05am On Sep 06, 2012
what a speech, super first lady, she's just awesome, but ur husband has erred n can only return to washington by God's grace n mercy. n 4 d critics, d desire 2 criticise becomes less n less as d xter is developed.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by elampiro(m): 8:09am On Sep 06, 2012
Freiburger:
The guy earlier admitted he has no clue about what Mit Romney is what up to, that also implies ha has no clue about what the US election is all about. All he do is pick up point he have a little or no knowledge about and capitalize on it. Imagine the dude telling me about the US present debt figures, when he knew Bill clinton left over 5 $trillion behind when he left office, and Bush came and spent the whole cash on wars and tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. Now he expect Obama to do a black magic within a short space of time.

When Cliton left, America was in debt of over $5trillion, not surplus. Check your records. Bush added 5trillion in 8 years. Obama has added $6trillion in 3 1/2 years only.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by emmygod: 8:10am On Sep 06, 2012
[quote
author=Freiburger]
Michelle hit the point, she explained how Obama and herself were raised
with a humble beginning. Now the question is, who is best qualified to
handle washington? A man who started with a humble begining or the other
man who inherited wealth from his dad? [/quote] pls pls pls help me and ask tunde bakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by elampiro(m): 8:13am On Sep 06, 2012
Freiburger:
The guy earlier admitted he has no clue about what Mit Romney is what up to, that also implies ha has no clue about what the US election is all about. All he do is pick up point he have a little or no knowledge about and capitalize on it. Imagine the dude telling me about the US present debt figures, when he knew Bill clinton left over 5 $trillion behind when he left office, and Bush came and spent the whole cash on wars and tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. Now he expect Obama to do a black magic within a short space of time.

Where did Clinton leave surplus? Check well.

When Cliton left, America was in debt of over $5trillion, not surplus. Check your records. Bush added 5trillion in 8 years. Obama has added $6trillion in 3 1/2 years only.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by elampiro(m): 8:19am On Sep 06, 2012
manny4life:

LOL, that's what pisses me off the most from folks who have no clue on what they talk about. Not only did bush spend Clinton's surpluses, he ran deficits into the trillions, YET, people have the nerve to accuse Obama. At least Obama was spending it, trying to revive the economy, Bush spent almost all of it on WARS, yes you heard WARS. That we're here today is because Obama rescued the banks, rescued the manufacturing industry, Agriculture through DoA, and still trying to help with tax credit to stimulate spending. I'll pick Obama any day than Romney.

Which surplus?
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by crackhouse(m): 9:36am On Sep 06, 2012
afam4eva:
Why don't you summarize it in one word.
in word it's TRASH
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by PHfinest(m): 11:38am On Sep 06, 2012
CFCfan: Fellow Nlanders resident in the United States and Nigeria, did u guys watch Michelle Obama's speech? I always thought she was an effective surrogate for her husband in the campaign. But men, that speech was almost Earth-shaking. Even some cable news pundits (from FOX, MSNBC and CNN) said it was the best political speech given by any U.S. First Lady. Any thoughts?

her speech:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/09/05/us/politics/100000001760461/michelle-obamas-speech-at-the-dnc.html

Full Text

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/09/04/dnc-2012-michelle-obamas-speech-at-the-democratic-national-convention-full-text/?tid=pm_politics_popitchell

Wonderful speech!

But be it as it mey, Nigerians will never forget our own First Lady's "Umblera" speech during PDP National Convention of 2011
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by onaanjoabiodun: 12:37pm On Sep 06, 2012
Hmmnnnnn!!!!!success isn’t about how much money you make, it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives. "what a Food 4 thought" great and breathe taking speech.
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Freiburger(m): 2:18pm On Sep 06, 2012
onaanjoabiodun: Hmmnnnnn!!!!!success isn’t about how much money you make, it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives. "what a Food 4 thought" great and breathe taking speech.
3likes
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by Theben(m): 2:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
teezlycrest: And she didn't tell us how the husband position helped to pull down our world bank candidate Ngozi! Smh
young man, dont assume what you dont know
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by KayDee4: 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2012
elampiro: Which surplus?
[size=13pt] Yeah the debt at the end of the Clinton presidency was just over $5t, Bush added his own gbese to that and Obama was left to pick up the tab for G. Bushs' mismanagement of the economy and the raging wars. The debt increase under Obama was inevitable if an economy on a downward spiral was going to be saved. Most of the spending under him have been from economic stabilizers to prevent a total collapse.
Everyone blames Obama for his/her misfortune, even boys in the hood, who do nothing but smoke weed all day keep complaining he has done nothing for them. undecided undecided
The democrats ain't 100% perfect with their policies but they're way better than the republicans and Obama is by far a better option than Romney.
[/size]
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by elampiro(m): 7:39pm On Sep 06, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] Yeah the debt at the end of the Clinton presidency was just over $5t, Bush added his own gbese to that and Obama was left to pick up the tab for G. Bushs' mismanagement of the economy and the raging wars. The debt increase under Obama was inevitable if an economy on a downward spiral was going to be saved. Most of the spending under him have been from economic stabilizers to prevent a total collapse.
Everyone blames Obama for his/her misfortune, even boys in the hood, who do nothing but smoke weed all day keep complaining he has done nothing for them. undecided undecided
The democrats ain't 100% perfect with their policies but they're way better than the republicans and Obama is by far a better option than Romney.
[/size]

So is the economy stable now?
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by KayDee4: 8:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
elampiro:

So is the economy stable now?
[size=13pt] Not yet but it's headed in the right direction at least. [/size]
Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by cesil92: 12:12am On Sep 07, 2012
A Must-read to all our Nigerian ladies "How many of our ladies will stick with a poor guy that has got lots of bright future to make things work out?"
"How many Naija gal go follow guy go date in a rusty car"
Nigerian Ladies need to learn a whole lot about love from this speech

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention by God2man(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2012
CFCfan: Fellow Nlanders resident in the United States and Nigeria, did u guys watch Michelle Obama's speech? I always thought she was an effective surrogate for her husband in the campaign. But men, that speech was almost Earth-shaking. Even some cable news pundits (from FOX, MSNBC and CNN) said it was the best political speech given by any U.S. First Lady. Any thoughts?

her speech:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/09/05/us/politics/100000001760461/michelle-obamas-speech-at-the-dnc.html

Full Text

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/09/04/dnc-2012-michelle-obamas-speech-at-the-democratic-national-convention-full-text/?tid=pm_politics_popitchell

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Russian Regional Governor Says Ukraine Bombed A Fuel Depot In Belgorod / Rampage In Bangladesh Over Facebook Koran Image / Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.