Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) (23632 Views)

Does CBN Still Print 5, 10, 20 And 50 Naira Notes? / How We Will Take Coins From ATM - Pic / What Is The Meaning Of Naira & Kobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2012
naijababe:

Agbaya grin

Plus Aristo girls and kidnappers

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by hardbody: 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2012
I have faint memories of these coins, but i sure saw them sha but cant recall to what extent i used them.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Panshow(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2012
I use it to buy kuli kuli, dakuwa, alewa, kantu, mazarkwela, pangkasau, aci da mai, alele (moi moi), dan wake, pronto, kes kes, masa, tsimi, garau garau, koko, korkoro, geda, bilko, gurguzu, aya, etc.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 06, 2012
cooldipo: Yes I did! Wonderful memory!! I still remember put those coins under sheet of paper then shading it to reveals its different designs on the paper. I still remember how we buy spoonful of rice during break period from the school's food vendor in her oil-soaked-clean-plastic plate with a naira coin....."Awa l'omo ile iwe school A..........."
bros you just spoke my mind! Oya take 200likes
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by AkpuNku2: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
here are more

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by agitator: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
Super1759: I think this is mallam's plan, Lets watch.
It is not the mallams plan.
USA has Dollars in notes and Cents in coins
UK has Pounds in notes and Pence in coins
Ghana has Cedis in notes and pesewas in coins
Nigeria had Naira in Notes and Kobo in coins except 50kobo that was in notes.
the N1 coin that was introduced was too bulky and heavy, may be it was designed that way to differentiate it from the smaller denominations (kobo)

Now mallam wants to change N5, N10, N20 & N50 to coins, Naira not kobo
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by free2ryhme: 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
rufychuks: emmmm! How does this affect d introduction of 5000 Naira notes!?

Funny how people can use dangote's name to lie.... In your time did you know dangote?
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Errr. . .ex. .excuse me what. . .what is this 5 kobo and 10 Kobo of which you speak?? tongue
U b small pikin!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Super1759: 5:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
Akpu.Nku:
here are more
bros, u don finish me, 5naira was like 50k to me then. I can't even handle it
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by PrinceDudu(m): 5:57pm On Sep 06, 2012
Usually get 20k as lunch money and I remember hw we call anyone wit lapa-lapa 'Ten kobo head' hmmm, good old days.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Godjone(m): 5:59pm On Sep 06, 2012
Cant even remember grin
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by tope3x(m): 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2012
i thank God i witnessed this coins...good old memory
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Pataki: 6:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
Good old days. I remember how I was so fond of the kobo coins those days, and was always tracing/drawing those palm trees on paper and my exercise books.

I remember an ugly incident where I swallowed the five kobo and it got stuck in my throat. That was the first time I ever saw an X-ray machine.

Nigeria was relatively good those years. Not anymore. Sad.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Pataki: 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2012
cooldipo: Yes I did! Wonderful memory!! I still remember put those coins under sheet of paper then shading it to reveals its different designs on the paper. I still remember how we buy spoonful of rice during break period from the school's food vendor in her oil-soaked-clean-plastic plate with a naira coin....."Awa l'omo ile iwe school A..........."

Chai.......you did what I did too those years back!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by GooseBaba: 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2012
When naira was naira.. 50 kobo get levels.. Akara, borley, even yogurt. Choco Milo, Tom Tom the spending power was endless. At Mama put one could arrange current pieces of meat. I remember spending 20 naira at the super market on sweet mouth... The basket over flowed.. Good old days...

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
My dad hated carrying the coins, so I'd specifically ask for loose change when i run errands for him. Mehn, kids of nowadays no sabi enjoy rara! All na facebook and Nintendo Wii
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Freiburger(m): 6:10pm On Sep 06, 2012
naijababe: My dad hated carrying the coins, so I'd specifically ask for loose change when i run errands for him. Mehn, kids of nowadays no sabi enjoy rara! All na facebook and Nintendo Wii
On point. grin
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Fiveseventy: 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2012
Toddlers of this generation may not remember any denomination below ₦50 when they grow up! CBN still doesn't realise that it's more than economics (mentality of carrying bigger notes has it's big damaging impact on our inflation). 20 years ago and buying a handful malta sweets, buttermint and bubble gum was possible with ₦1! Ordinary ₦10 made me look like a king's child in primary school.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by AkpuNku2: 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2012
see what we have now excluding the upcoming N5000 note

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by DANILSA(m): 6:18pm On Sep 06, 2012
O my GOD!!! Lalala,i Remember mama Adamu Kosei and Akamu, chocomilo, colour ice cream, chinge, driving keke,guguru etc all na 50 kobo or 1 naira.gringringrin gud old days. Peak milk 20 naira, abi na uncle bence, @ op leave talk.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 06, 2012
Pataki: Good old days. I remember how I was so fond of the kobo coins those days, and was always tracing/drawing those palm trees on paper and my exercise books.

I remember an ugly incident where I swallowed the five kobo and it got stuck in my throat. That was the first time I ever saw an X-ray machine.

[b ]Nigeria was relatively good those years. Not anymore. [/b] Sad.
HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE SAY NIGERIA IS BAD AND ANYTIME I SEE LINDA IKEJIS PAGE I SEE MALLS, people looking fresh and healthy and happy, lots of big cars everywhere, nice houses, people with lots of accesories like mobile phones and laptops and ipods and ipads, lots of opulent looking people who look fresher than people who live abroad, lots of stars making billions like p square tuface wizkid etc etc, americanied vibe, hotels going for $500 per night, houses going for 200 million naira etc etc. am i missing something ? someone help me out. oh and i see expensive looking boutiques, KFC, MACDONALDS, CHICKEN SHACK ( and all these companies are worth a couple of hundred million dollars each, i see lots of cycling clubs, i see lots of clubs with bikers, these cyclists and bikers meet up and ride around etc etc. very americanized. they have on all the bells and whistlles like the outfits and pads and cycling shorts etc etc like they do abroad. this all in naija. and yall say naija is bad ? help me somebody cuz i aint been in a while

2 Likes

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by rufychuks: 6:26pm On Sep 06, 2012
free2ryhme:

Funny how people can use dangote's name to lie.... In your time did you know dangote?
i didnt mention dangote o!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nightshift(m): 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2012
As a history romantic, it excites me remembering those wonderful years in that beautiful tropical country . I thank God for giving me the opportunity of being born just after the Nigerian civil war. Growing up during the oil boom of late 70s, means my generation had it so good before Nigeria lost almost all its attractions . Buying fresh bread at the bakery for 10kobo, cooked stockfish = 50kobo, ice creams = 10kobo; generally all those kobo coins buy enough goodies all over Nigeria then. It was the years i would wake up in the morning enjoying the sound of Honda CD195 in my neighbourhood . Or jokingly trying a new dance step to Osadebe or Ghana highlife music . If it's possible to turn back time , i would go back to those years in Nigeria . What a time!!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by rufychuks: 6:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
Akpu.Nku:
see what we have now excluding the upcoming N5000 note

and sanusi wants to add more! Imagine!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by 19naia(m): 6:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
Ah yes thanks for the memory of the good old days when in primary school,25 kobo was a fair sum to buy 3 puff puff with sugar coating..i believe i remember buying Fanta or coca cola 12 ounce bottle for 25 to 30 kobo back in 1982 in ondo state..
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2012
Yap,i used it..buying ekena gowon,sisi pelebe,eyin alagba,,a warrior on a horse,and marble.etc.good old days,when u put ur money in the foodplate before break,for the foodvendor to pack..rice and vegetable soup.etc
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by rodeo0070(m): 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2012
Quite memorable...
I got a Fifty kobo note from a young lady as compensation after reciting a Nursery rhyme (Solomon Grundy) in which I cried on the stage cos I was unable to complete the last part like my peers.
The fifty kobo got me and my "hommies" lots of "blo-blo" (balloon) and "epon dinka"...
LOL.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by leighcon(m): 6:52pm On Sep 06, 2012
And not forgetting to mention that church offering those days were usually in coins. You'd want to drop your own in the tray so it made some "gbran gbran" sound. Learn't how to draw H. Macaulay's mustache on the almighty N1 note then(Big boy's currency).

I feel like crying remembering days of 35 kobo per litre fuel, relishing memories of those old round shaped Mobil, Elf, National, Agip pumps metering the thing.

Imagine cement was like N11 when my papa dey build house that time, jumped to N35 by the time he finished construction.

This economy has really gone south!!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by MrWaters: 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
I cherish those coins and i stil ve them with me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kebbi Hosts Three Stray Elephants / Police Officer Gifts Students New Pair Of Socks In Lagos (Video, Photos) / Who Is Sholaye Jeremi? | Biography| Profile|history Of Linda Ikeji's Baby Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.