Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,207 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah (8817 Views)

The Strike Was Suspended Not Called Off – PENGASSAN President / Two Newspapers Gave Different Reasons Why Immigration Boss Was Suspended / Soldiers Open Fire On Borno Governor’s Convoy In Error (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by HammedSodiqq: 7:00am On Sep 08, 2012
The Federal Government on Friday admitted that the suspension of the Operating Licence of Dana Airlines immediately an aircraft belonging to the airline crashed on June 3 was against global aviation practices.

The FG said the best it could have done then was to isolate the particular aircraft involved in the crash and carry out the necessary investigations.
Minister of Aviation, Mrs. Stella Oduah, gave the explanation on a Channels TV breakfast programme

She was reacting to the strong condemnations from the family members of the victims of the crash, after the FG restored the airline’s operating licence on Wednesday.

The FG had suspended Dana’s licence on June 5, 2012, two days after its Abuja-Lagos flight 0992 crashed into residential and commercial buildings in Iju-Ishaga, on the outskirts of Lagos, killing 153 passengers and crew on board.

But on Wednesday, the FG lifted the suspension, saying it was satisfied with the air-worthiness of the airline after a rigorous technical, operational and financial audit.

The decision, however, attracted criticisms from those affected. The victims of the crash, claim that their agony has been worsened by the fact that the government restored the licence even when investigations into the crash are yet to be completed and the remains of some of the deceased are yet to be buried.

To them, Dana Air, which they accused of negligence, should not be allowed to fly any of its aircraft in the Nigerian airspace.

But Oduah explained on Friday that it was against best practices to ground an airline because of a crash.

She explained that what was allowed in the aviation sector was to segregate an aircraft and conduct an audit.

She said the decision to restore Dana’s licence was taken with a sense of responsibility, adding, “a firm cannot be indicted until the results of investigation are released.”

She said, “Rather than indict it (Dana), the result clearly showed that the airline is one of the best in the country today.”

She, however, added that the lifting of the suspension did not translate to the fact that the airline would return to the air immediately.

She explained that the airline must still undergo the process of recertification.

She said, “There is no perfect firm or organisation and that is why we started with institutional reform starting from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.

“Dana is not a perfect company by any means just like any other firm.

“Dana’s manuals, log book and administrative policies are all in compliance with the NCAA rules and regulations. We’re satisfied that thorough investigation was carried out and that was why we said they can go back to work.”

When probed further, the minister said the government would not hesitate to apply appropriate sanctions once the final result was released and the airline found culpable.

She said once completed, the report, being a public document, would be widely publicised for every concerned individual and group to access.
When asked to give an insight into the cause of the crash since she claimed the preliminary report was out, the minister said the remote cause was “very technical.”
“I don’t know the cause of the accident but I know what is not the cause. The accident was not due to NCAA’s lack of responsibility and it was not due to Dana not doing what they ought to do,” she explained.

Oduah added that despite the clean bill of health, the FG was still strengthening the NCAA to ensure it performed better.
The minister expressed surprise that relatives of some of the victims of the crash were yet to receive their compensation because she had held meetings with the airline and the insurance firm on the issue.
Meanwhile, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Mr. Abdulwahed Omar, has said that  organised labour did not have anything against the restoration of Dana’s licence.

He said there was nothing wrong if the decision was based on the findings by engineers and technicians, who found the aircraft airworthy.

However, a human rights activist and lawyer, Mr. Jiti Ogunye, described the lifting of the suspension as shocking and insensitive.
Ogunye is among many Nigerians who have condemned the action of the FG, coming about three months after the tragedy.

He questioned the rationale behind the action, saying that the report of the audit should have been made public and a re-certification effected before the announcement.
Besides, he said several unresolved social, financial and emotional issues still surrounded the incident, adding that the regulators and the government should have exercised restraint in taking such an action.

He said, “This is another step that has shown that the government expects Nigerians to take responsibility for their lives. If you fly, you fly at your own risk, that seems to be what they are saying.
“This undermines the safety of the aviation industry. The people affected by the June 3 accident have not been compensated; the coroner’s inquest is inconclusive and they are saying the affected airline can continue operation. The law has not been allowed to take its cause. It is unfortunate.”

Another lawyer, Mr. Kunle Fadipe, said that except the FG tackled the allegations of neglect and bring the culpable persons to face the law, it would not be seen to have done the right thing.
Fadipe said, “I don’t understand this haste. There are issues to be resolved. Emotions are still very tense on the part of several affected families and you want Nigerians to start flying the airline so soon?
“Government and regulators should have allowed emotions to calm down; some people have not even buried their dead. It is very surprising.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/we-suspended-dana-licence-in-error-fg/

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by ITbomb(m): 7:29am On Sep 08, 2012
Dana still have the best customer service on my record, I wouldn't mind going back to them after some weeks of sidon look as others go first

5 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Codedrock(m): 9:34am On Sep 08, 2012
Sppp!
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 08, 2012
She should cut the long story short and just tell us how much the Indians paid her cool

6 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by chii8(f): 9:39am On Sep 08, 2012
ITbomb: Dana still have the best customer service on my record, I wouldn't mind going back to them after some weeks of sidon look as others go first
na waooo,y suspend them in the first place....super story....
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by xcllaxix(m): 9:40am On Sep 08, 2012
HammedSodiqq:

http://www.punchng.com/news/we-suspended-dana-licence-in-error-fg/
..After every every,the airline wuld never be indicted at the end of the investigation...dats if the investigation wuld ever come to a conclusion...i hail 9ja!

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Ramcie(f): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2012
Hmm! According to Stella the fault wasn't that of NCAA or DANA not doing what they suppose to do. I guess they are putting the blame on the dead Pilot who isn't here to defend himself. #smh .
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by valdubem(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2012
stella must have collected egunje from those indians. wtf!
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by IcecoldDon: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2012
Controversial to d end. Why must every decision made by this government be against popular demand. Why not make public the findings that exonerated the airline, complete the recertification process n pay all compensation to the families as well as restoring all corpses before restoring their licences. Why do they always like putting the cart before the horse.

3 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Sirmee(m): 9:47am On Sep 08, 2012
Another facrook in d makin.

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by acidtalk: 9:53am On Sep 08, 2012
How will you idi*ots know anything when it is only in Nigeria the following happens;

* A food and nutrition graduate is made as a minister of Aviation.

* A Psychologist graduate is made the Minister of Agriculture.

*A NCE holder is made a Minister of Power or Work.

Then when they manage to put technocrats and professional in a ministry, they will frustrate them out on personal grudges like the did to Nnaji Bart.

Nigerian learn to put the right people in the right paces. Put the citizens first instead of satisfying PDP, godfathers, your friends and party stalwart.

God dey oh! One day one day una to tell God as una take rule your people.

6 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 08, 2012
Flying mood deactivated!

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Duxe(f): 9:54am On Sep 08, 2012
Ramcie: Hmm! According to Stella the fault wasn't that of NCAA or DANA not doing what they suppose to do. I guess they are putting the blame on the dead Pilot who isn't here to defend himself. #smh .

lwkmd!...my sister na naija we dey o!
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 08, 2012
What can i say? That is Nigeria. A place where human lives and those of the citizens dont have value to their leaders. In this damn country, it's every1 for himself. A sensitive,responsive and responsible gvt wil see to it that families concerned are adequately compensated,investigations conducted,policies reviewed,disciplinaries and sanctions tightened in order to make our space safe and citizenry's life valuable. I believe until our leaders are able to patronize or allow their relative patronize our health services, air transport services and have the freedom do what the common man does,they "don't give a damn" about lives of their citizen. All they want is to satisfy their selfish unquenchable and insatiable interests
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by timbros(m): 9:57am On Sep 08, 2012
I will only blame anyone that patronise DANA after all this rubbish.
After they have stayed for months-years without patronage, no be person go tell them to pack their flying coffins go back to India...
#smh

2 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by gbadexy(m): 9:57am On Sep 08, 2012
The minister may be correct, but what I found curious is her statement proclaiming Dana amongst the best airlines;
'She said, “Rather than indict it (Dana),
the result clearly showed that the
airline is one of the best in the country
today.”
And also saying they won't hesitate to sanction them on final report is out and they find them culpable;
the minister said the
government would not hesitate to apply
appropriate sanctions once the final result
was released and the airline found culpable.
She said once completed, the report, being
a public document, would be widely
publicised for every concerned individual
and group to access.

That means she has already decided that Dana is among the best airlines while the report on it is not concluded.
I also wonder at the technical , operational and financial audit and if it is different from the report the minister said is still ongoing.
These contradiction and the role of P.R by the minister is sending the wrong signal to discerning minds.

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by musiwa8: 10:03am On Sep 08, 2012
i ..
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by toyemz(f): 10:05am On Sep 08, 2012
I will still never fly Dana

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by na2day(m): 10:07am On Sep 08, 2012
* whistling * I love my country i no go lie
Na inside am, i go live and die grin

Just another day in the jungle called Nigeria,
Why am i not surprised
Money has changed hands, the story has changed angry
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Sealeddeal(m): 10:08am On Sep 08, 2012
Dana's aircrash was not planned by the Dana's group.its an unfortunate event and aircrash will not stop anytime soon in nigeria history or even,in history of world because aircraft is man made.So,if FG have found out that Dana airline operate accordingly,then lifting suspension on them is in order.Aircrash is not the only place where nigerians lose their life.Thousand of nigerians lose their life annualy on road mishap alone and govt will neither construct good road nor suspend license of some transportation industries involved.and the masses will not protest or speak up.just because,its basically the poor that die through road accident.unfortunately,that same poor people are now speaking and being used by rich to oppose govt's plane to restore license to Dana as if it concern them.and beside,govt attention was much drawn by Dana's aircrash than road accident happening daily.Dana's aircrash was not and is still not,to me,a sad event.As long as road accident continues due to govt intent to avoid road construction and putting up proper measure to forestall road mishap,my prayer remain that aircrash continues.death is death.

7 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Chybalv: 10:11am On Sep 08, 2012
Mrs minister, you said you don't know d cause of the crash but you know what did not cause it. This is contradictory. The investigation is still inconclusive, yet you are lifting the ban. How right is this?

3 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by musiwa8: 10:12am On Sep 08, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by coalcoal1(m): 10:21am On Sep 08, 2012
Ok. We have heard
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by shizzle11(m): 10:24am On Sep 08, 2012
Not comfy with the lifting of the suspension, but one thing is certain, she's one of very few ministers whose ministry has seen tremendous improvement in their various sector(s)
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by duality(m): 10:28am On Sep 08, 2012
people are being emotional about this DANA issue. the govt did the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Ramcie(f): 10:30am On Sep 08, 2012
Duxe:

lwkmd!...my sister na naija we dey o!
na so we see am my dear sis. The tin tire me sef sad
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by timbros(m): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2012
Sealeddeal: Dana's aircrash was not planned by the Dana's group.its an unfortunate event and aircrash will not stop anytime soon in nigeria history or even,in history of world because aircraft is man made.So,if FG have found out that Dana airline operate accordingly,then lifting suspension on them is in order.Aircrash is not the only place where nigerians lose their life.Thousand of nigerians lose their life annualy on road mishap alone and govt will neither construct good road nor suspend license of some transportation industries involved.and the masses will not protest or speak up.just because,its basically the poor that die through road accident.unfortunately,that same poor people are now speaking and being used by rich to oppose govt's plane to restore license to Dana as if it concern them.and beside,govt attention was much drawn by Dana's aircrash than road accident happening daily. Dana's aircrash was not and is still not,to me,a sad event. As long as road accident continues due to govt intent to avoid road construction and putting up proper measure to forestall road mishap,my prayer remain that aircrash continues.death is death.
WTF!
Are u sure ur sane that moment u typed that bolded? Did u take the time to re-read what u typed before clicking "submit"? Maybe when u lose all YOUR immediate family members in a twinkling of an eye, u will better understand what "sad event" really means...
#smh x50
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by chii8(f): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2012
na2day!:
* whistling * I love my country i no go lie
Na inside am, i go live and die grin

Just another day in the jungle called Nigeria,
Why am i not surprised
Money has changed hands, the story has changed angry
buh if it were to be a luxurious bus dat got accident n lives was lost wl they close the coy,if they wl,y havent they closed coys lk Young Shall Grow Motors,Peace Mass Transit n et al,DANA is supose 2 sue NCAA,for falsely accusing them,they shld v verified before suspending them.
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Seth89(m): 10:42am On Sep 08, 2012
Most of these women appointed by GEJ as ministers are heartless.
Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by Abbycite(m): 10:42am On Sep 08, 2012
musiwa8: they crash the plane... Belview flight many year ago was crash too because former Nipost boss was inside, he was a northerner... He is the first person who expose what we are all seen on satellite pictures..

STFU....u're a disgrace to nairaland

1 Like

Re: Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah by omasogood(m): 10:44am On Sep 08, 2012
is this really a minister?are u sure she's not a lifeless doll baby with literally no brains?by saying it was a mistake suspending DANA's license,she has inadvertently given dem garlic HEADs the go ahead to sue the government's ass for loss of income due to the unfair suspension of their license!

Maybe we need intervention from the Niger Delta(u know say DANA no fit try dis nonsense for that side)if u know what I mean,by the time a few of those exploitative,crappy salary paying DANA demons taste what Shell,Chevron & all other exploiters in this country have tasted,they'll ensure that they are operating fully efficient,airworthy planes & not the flying caskets they currently have which by the way has been confirmed by my family members who are high up in the aviation sector.

FYI DANA is run by one of the deadly,evil INDIAN MAFIA organisations & naija is their playground thanks to our willingness to commit black on black crime,as a matter of fact naija is the playground for all the mafia organisations in the world & this is why the country is only benefitting the rich & will continue to until there is a revolution by all garri sellers,okada riders,danfo drivers,graduates whether ajebutter or ajepako,unemployed youth including all the girls who just wanna donate their goods to every living thing for the right price instead of actually getting a job,doing biz no matter how small & working hard like the rest of us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon / The Difference Between Obio/akpor And PH Lgas 95% Don't Know About / Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Jumps By 15.64% To ₦33.107 Trillion – DMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.