Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,964 members, 7,810,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria (57030 Views)

Opinion: Top 5 Nigerias Most Beautiful University Libraries / 6 Of The Most Beautiful University Libraries In Nigeria (photos) / Public Libraries Within Ogba, Ikeja And Agege: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 10:47pm On Sep 09, 2012
World Literacy Day just passed by and the issue of the availability and use of public libraries came to the fore again. I want this thread to serve as a database of public libraries in the country. A quick search online doesn't give you a good answer which is quite disappointing.

Consequently, for contributors who want to add the ones they know (that have/has not been previously mentioned) should please try to follow the number order and provide an address or at least, the area where this library is so that visitors to any of these places in Nigeria can seek guidance.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Library_of_Nigeria

1. National Library of Nigeria, Oda Road (Opposite Ondo State Law Commision), Akure, Ondo State.

2. Ondo State Public Library, St Peters Bus Stop, Oyemekun Road, Akure, Ondo State.

3. National Library of Nigeria
Festival Road P.M.B. 1, Area 2 (Near Shopping Centre) Garki, Abuja.

4. National Library of Nigeria, 227,Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba, Lagos State.

5. Illupeju Public Library (not sure that's the name), Opposite LSDPC, Illupeju, Lagos State.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Odunnu: 5:21am On Sep 10, 2012
6. National Library Enugu,
NTA road, beside ESBS junction, Enugu.

7. Enugu State Library.
Market Road, Opposite Mgbemena Park,
Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 5:53am On Sep 10, 2012
8. National Library,
No 1 Bida road, opposite CBN, Kaduna

9. Kaduna State Library
No 3 Bida road, opposite NBTE, Kaduna
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 5:56am On Sep 10, 2012
10. Kwara State Library
No 16, Sulu Gambari way, opposite NIPOST Office, Ilorin Kwara State

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Wisdytech(m): 3:14pm On Sep 10, 2012
*i hd nt SEEN the ONE @UYO AKS* HERE O! ABI NA MISTAKE? COZ NA WORLD CLASS TYPE B DAT O
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Riskyman(m): 3:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
11. Akwa-ibom State Library: Plot 43 IBB way, Uyo akwa-ibom state

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 10, 2012
And the one i always went to along Herbert Macauley, Yaba, Lagos. They are two actually.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by ConcernMan: 3:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
Which kind yeye National Library Yaba Lagos. That is the worst library I have ever being to in my life. A library where library users are not allowed access inside but only read outside(under a shade). My reading table is 10x better than that library. When you even manage to go in there all you see is newspapers of Zik and Awololwo. Call that National Archive and not National Library Pleasssssssssss!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by seunfuckgarri: 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
Is there any private library in Nigeria?
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
ConcernMan: Which kind yeye National Library Yaba Lagos. That is the worst library I have ever being to in my life. A library where library users are not allowed access inside but only read outside(under a shade). My reading table is 10x better than that library. When you even manage to go in there all you see is newspapers of Zik and Awololwo. Call that National Archive and not National Library Pleasssssssssss!!!!!!!

Someone showed me the trick. You have to tip them before they allow you read inside and tip them again before they show you where the books are. Really terrible!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 3:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
That Yaba library is worthless!!!
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by valdubem(m): 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2012
Garki Public Library Arae2 Abuja.

Apo Library; after Gudu market, Gudu Apo Abuja.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by cecegorz(m): 3:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
Odunnu: 6. National Library Enugu,
NTA road, beside ESBS junction, Enugu.

7. Enugu State Library.
Market Road, Opposite Mgbemena Park,
Enugu.

This no 7. should be designated a relic! When was the last time you drove past there? Last time i passed there, the whole buiding was soaked in heavy brown dust! And i can bet the latest book there will likely be those published in the 60s!
These government jobbers doesn't understand that well stocked and developed libraries can keep youths engaged in creative thinking, and free from crime activities.
I have actually thought of building Private libraries and i'm following through with that peoject.

4 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by JudithPearce: 3:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
Yes, there is a good private library I can recommend. It is located at 196 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi. Check it out.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by salt1: 3:56pm On Sep 10, 2012
seun_fuck_garri: Is there any private library in Nigeria?

Yes. Zaccheus Onumba Dibiaezue Memorial Libraries, 196 Awolowo Rd, Ikoyi Lagos
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by cloud7: 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Surulere Library...The one at Ekololu...cant recall the acutual name of that Library, wayback in the 90's that Library helped me a lot...if you are reading this thread and you ever visited that Library in the 90's ..get in touch with me...I am a Product of that (people's University)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Brand_new: And the one i always went to along Herbert Macauley, Yaba, Lagos. They are two actually.

The one beside Nitel is owned by the Federal Government, while the one on the other side of the road is owned by the Lagos State Government.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Maxymilliano(m): 4:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
I won't be surprized if most of the approve land space designated for libraries have been converted to building churches...

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by mmmustapha(m): 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
11 grin National Garrilary no10 Garri close, Kaduna

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by DANILSA(m): 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
Dea is one in owerri,I think okigwe junction, knows the library and the place but can't remember the address.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by gidson1: 4:41pm On Sep 10, 2012
mmmustapha: 11 grin National Garrilary no10 Garri close, Kaduna
Lol.....
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by DExplorer1: 4:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
I'm sure Wikipedia doesn't know that most of these library are dead.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2012
There is national library in owerri around concorde hotel,world bank housing estate.THEre is another state library along okigwe road owerri along bank road.There is state library at G.r.a onitsha.Thou i prefer reading at my house!! NIGERIAN LIBRARIES ARE A DISGRACE.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
National library kwara:
Offa road GRA Ilorin kwara

Dr Olusola Saraki library
Agbo-Oba road, Ilorin
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Edo State Public Library, Benin City.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by kkesh(m): 5:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
(26) imo state library located at okigwe roundabout close to imo state government house.
(27) National library located central bank, along port-harcourt road, owerri.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ejeckam library Isulo Anambra state
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by 9free(m): 6:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
27. Federal Library, Jos
Beside Plateau State Polytechnic Holshe
28. State Library, Jos
Tafa Belewa, Opp Plateau Riders Jos-North
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
seun_fuck_garri: Is there any private library in Nigeria?

There's one at the yaradua centre in Abuja, near silverbird. Membership is 5k a year. Open only during weekdays and has a thin repository of books. However, it's fully air conditioned, rugged and the most serene library I've been to, apart from the ones in British council.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by phiszo(m): 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Stella obasanjo library, Lokoja, Kogi State.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by mkmyers45(m): 6:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
Have put up some locations on wiki...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

School Children Die On Their Way Back From Excursion. (graphic Photos). / We'll Withdraw Your Kids From School If You Tarnish Our Image On Social Media-FG / Missing Unilag Girl Found (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.