Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,719 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? (4273 Views)

Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio / The New EFCC Chairman Ibrahim Magu, 7 Things You Need To Know About Him / Rtd Col Hameed Alli Appointed New EFCC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by yicob(m): 6:39pm On Jan 08, 2008
New EFCC Boss: Olayinka Balogun Or Umar Abubakar?

Since we all know that Mallam Nuhu Ribadu will soon vacate office for another anti corruption angel to take the lead, and presently, 2 prominent men have been nominated for the post.

1. Olayinka Balogun. Former dpo of scid panti and presently in anti fraud section in kansalem. This man is said to have no favorite in the rule of law and also far away from politics. He invited ogunlewe and obanikoro to panti over the death of funsho williams some years back. He is nominated due to his ability and integrity in doing the right thing most especially going against corruption. Will he be the boss? Though he is also a police commissioner

2. Umar Abubakar. A former northern state governor who is also said to be a retired soldier. His plot against maladministration and corruption made him an enemy of obasanjo in the last political dispensation. This is a tough man who takes no nonsense and fears no man. Many said he will witch hunt obasanjo immediately he is given the post since both are tight enemies.

What do you think about Umaru? Can he perform better than Olayinka?

Well lets hear the voice of nairalanders over the issue.

Shallom*
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by NigEclipse(m): 11:53pm On Jan 08, 2008
Yes, these are very tough leaders indeed, but since Abubakar is more prone to collapsing the former president's regime, then I'm definitely a fanatic. This means crooks like Dr. Sam Egwu can start facing the music for the billions of Naira they robbed the people of.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by mashaun(m): 7:52am On Jan 09, 2008
you have not been following the recent trend ,what about that woman that is usually desrcribed as feraless like nafdac boss,
i give full support to the woman in the race,definitely everybody will agree with me that when it comes to this kind of issue,they are very though.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by dayokanu(m): 8:08am On Jan 09, 2008
I fully support Col Abubakar Umar for the post. He is a no nonsense man who is also fearless. He stood up to be counted when others were licking boots all over.

Never bought the Abacha regime for a day. One of the greatest supporter of june 12 and justice.

If he had not resigned he would be a General cos his mates like Marwa, Adisa and co are Generals before they retired and he would have made loads of money if he wanted to enrich himself.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by princekay1(m): 8:43am On Jan 09, 2008
i think Col Umar is better; we need somebody who will not receive orders from OBJ (whether he is BOT or not), and someone who will be instrumental to the probe of OBJ's administration.
remember that a Yoruba man can always succumb to pressure, especially from an elder like OBJ. so, lets have Col Abubakar Umar.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 09, 2008
yicob:

SINCE WE ALL KNOW THAT MALLAM NUHU RIBADU WILL SOON VACATE OFFICE FOR ANOTHER ANTI CORRUPTION ANGEL TO TAKE THE LEAD, AND PRESENTLY, 2 PROMINENT MEN HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR THE POST.

1. OLAYINKA BALOGUN.   FORMER DPO OF SCID PANTI AND PRESENTLY IN ANTI FRAUD SECTION IN KANSALEM. THIS MAN IS SAID TO HAVE NO FAVOURITE IN THE RULE OF LAW AND ALSO FAR AWAY FROM POLITICS. HE INVITED OGUNLEWE AND OBANIKORO TO PANTI OVER THE DEATH OF FUNSHO WILLIAMS SOME YEARS BACK. HE IS NOMINATED DUE TO HIS ABILITY AND INTEGRITY IN DOING THE RIGHT THING MOST ESPECIALLY GOING AGAINST CORRUPTION. WILL HE BE THE BOSS,? THOUGH HE IS ALSO A POLICE COMMISSIONER

2. UMAR ABUBAKAR. A FORMER NORTHERN STATE GOVERNOR WHO IS ALSO SAID TO BE A RETIRED SOLDIER. HIS PLOT AGAINST MALADMINISTRATION AND CORRUPTION MADE HIM AN ENEMY OF OBASANJO IN THE LAST POLITICAL DISPENSATION. THIS IS A TOUGH MAN WHO TAKES NO NONSENSE AND FEARS NO MAN. MANY SAID HE WILL WITCH HUNT OBASANJO IMMEDIATELY HE IS GIVEN THE POST SINCE BOTH ARE TIGHT ENEMIES.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT UMARU? CAN HE PERFORM BETTER THAN oLAYINKA?

WELL LETS HEAR THE VOICE OF NAIRALANDERS OVER THE ISSUE.

SHALLOM*

All these will be a waste of time if Yaradua, AGF and Okiro keep playing hide and seek with the anti-corruption crusade.

@ your question

Olayinka: I dont know much about this man, but mere inviting Ogunlewe and Obanikoro as regards to Williams murder is not a pass mark for him to become efcc boss as nothing came out of that invitation.

A. Umar: He may have been outspoken been out spoken for a while now, but how much difference is he going to make considering his connection with IBB?
Coming in to witch hunt only OBJ and his few friends might just be worst than what Ribadu is being accused of: selective justice and that will be representing about 15% of those corrupt idiots. What about his god father; IBB?
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by ndubest(m): 10:27am On Jan 09, 2008
Mrs Wazirir who trained Ribadu and most the current officals of the EFCC is by best bet

THOUGH SHE RETIRED IN 2000 FROM NPF,

she will command their respect as the was their former boss

she is tough

There is this thing going for women whenever they are given such challenges (except for etteh) others seems to have proved themselves

Considering her background in the anti fraud unit and the respect she commands as retired senior police office, SHE IS MY CANDIDATE
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 09, 2008
ndubest:

Mrs Wazirir who trained Ribadu and most the current officals of the EFCC is by best bet

THOUGH SHE RETIRED IN 2000 FROM NPF,

she will command their respect as the was their former boss

she is tough

There is this thing going for women whenever they are given such challenges (except for etteh) others seems to have proved themselves

Considering her background in the anti fraud unit and the respect she commands as retired senior police office, SHE IS MY CANDIDATE

I still doubt if she will make any difference if Yaradua will still be using AGF to protect the corrupt idiots.
She will only end up arresting more yahoo boys and not people like IBB and OBJ.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by kosovo(m): 11:18am On Jan 09, 2008
non of them are good.
everything thing has purpose.
umaru musa and the I.G are just confused.
you want to probe OBJ.? why wastin time,
nigeria we are just making a U-turn. dont forget we still have the PATOITS AND GOD FATHERS.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Ganjaseed: 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2008
We can count several women in Nigeria with good record of patriotism and doing the right thing, besides women are good with things like this, so therefor I am fully in support of this new woman candidate to lead the EFCC organisation.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by shostar: 3:45pm On Jan 09, 2008
Wen it comes to investigative issues, which EFCC work with, I think a police officer is the best bet. Army personnels are not too good in investigations.
So, I'll support any of the 2 police officers nominated
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by ndubest(m): 4:12pm On Jan 09, 2008
nuzo:

I still doubt if she will make any difference if Yaradua will still be using AGF to protect the corrupt idiots.
She will only end up arresting more yahoo boys and not people like IBB and OBJ.

@nuzo

EFCC surely need a NEW boss

may be you should give us your candidate
instead of condemming all the candiates presented
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Crownvilla(m): 4:59pm On Jan 09, 2008
Col Umar stated that he won't take the job if offered because (according to him) he has disqualified himself by the recent interview he gave about the EFCC and by virtue of being a known critic of the OBJ regime.

Can't remember exactly where I read it, but I'll do a search and post the source, once found.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by fatherab1: 5:05pm On Jan 09, 2008
Umar Abubakar is evidently the best contender. However his unbendable integrity might work against him though that is a pricelees virtue that should be the qualification for the post.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Seun(m): 5:12pm On Jan 09, 2008
I laughed at the phrase "unbendable integrity". There's no such thing. There are no saints in high places.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by benedo(m): 5:30pm On Jan 09, 2008
Umm, U guys thinking that the regime of obasanjo will be probed by anybody or any efcc in this administration should forget it , its not going to happen!, and as for col umar taking up the efcc Job too , i doubt it, so the best bet is the former dcp of panti, if he gets it i hope he wont get frustrated by politics and the politicians.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by benedo(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2008
Umm, U guys thinking that the regime of obasanjo will be probed by anybody or any efcc in this administration should forget it , its not going to happen!, and as for  col umar taking up the efcc Job too , i doubt it, so the best bet is the former dcp of panti, if he gets it i hope he wont get frustrated by politics and the politicians.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by BTT(m): 6:21pm On Jan 09, 2008
Selective justice or whatever, pls let col Umar give it a trial, tho he is fearless, or so we think now, he might spare some dirty baldheads, but at least even if he does 15 percent, in Nigeria anticorruption battle, 15% is not phyrric victory. let's try the Col! I doubt if he won't jump at the offer.

If The Col doesn't jump @ d offer then we may as well begin to doubt the genuiness of his verbal crusades.

Long live Nairaland!!
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by ayusman16(m): 6:55pm On Jan 09, 2008
I just hope they give to somebody else or better still scrap EFCC rather than give it to that Olayinka guy. U shld see the daily corruption that abound in the supposedly Anti-Fraud unit of SFU at Ikoyi. Damn! those pple are terrible!
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Ezenwenyi(m): 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2008
If really Umar Abubakar will hunt OBASANJO and other corrupt persons,then i think he should resume immediately without any delay.Another problem is that THE NIGERIA BAR ASSOCIATION(NBA) should try in their fight to make EFCC independent so that when Yar'adua finish serving as president we won't necessarily have to change the EFCC boss.

Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by kokoA(m): 8:07pm On Jan 09, 2008
i nominate maj. gen. Muhamed Buhari, yes that is my man.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by kokoA(m): 8:09pm On Jan 09, 2008
i nominate maj. gen. Muhamed Buhari, yes that is my man.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Ezenwenyi(m): 8:20pm On Jan 09, 2008
FROM TODAY'S BACK PAGE OF SUN NEWSPAPER

EFCC: You messed up
• NBA faults presidency on controversy over Ribadu’s removal
By OLA AGBAJE
Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mallam Nuhu Ribadu
Photo By: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

As the controversy over the removal of chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, rages, the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) on Monday in Lagos faulted the Federal Government’s handling of the issue.

Addressing a press briefing, NBA President, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), deplored what he described as the “hide and seek” game employed by the government, noting that the matter should have been handled in a more open and transparent manner.

He said: “The Federal Government should have been more engaging. The problem was with the hide and seek game. If you are changing him, come out openly and say so.

“I believe that Ribadu showed zeal in the way he did his work. When there is a change in person of the president, some other change must be expected to take place. It is not new in our polity. President Yar’Adua has a right to decide those he wants to work with.”

In order to make the EFCC more effective and efficient in its operation, NBA called for the amendment of the EFCC Act, with a view to removing it from the presidency’s control and interference.
Justifying the need for EFCC’s independence, Agbakoba said: “We need to have independent institutions, which can work without fearing the president. Ribadu was afraid of Obasanjo and I don’t see a new Ribadu not fearing Yar’Adua.”

Agbakoba faulted EFCC’s prosecution of former state governors on allegation of money laundering, saying it went beyond the commission’s mandate.
According to him, “if a governor steals money, it is an offence under the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC). Corrupt enrichment is the offence, unless the money stolen by the governor was channeled into some other means, which makes it proceeds of a crime.”
He took a swipe at the international community over the stance on Ribadu’s removal, describing it as hypocritical.

In his words: “We have been told of the billions of dollars looted by past government officials, stashed in foreign countries, but these countries have not bothered to send the money back to us, for us to use in fixing the country.”

On the promise of police authorities to revisit past high profile assassinations in the country, Agbakoba expressed doubt on the ability and capacity of the security outfit to do the job.
“The police as currently constituted have no capacity to resolve any serious crime in the country today, let alone the high profile assassinations of some politicians which have not been resolved till date,” he said.

In order to save the country future electoral embarrassment, the NBA boss called for immediate removal of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Maurice Iwu.
“Let Iwu spare us another bad elections. The tribunals have ordered fresh elections. We should have a new start. It is nothing personal. It is just that INEC, for various reasons, did not get it right.

“When a referee mishandles a match, you don’t have to bring him back, because if he was there and did not do well, what is the assurance that he will do well if allowed to conduct another election,” said Agbakoba.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by DisGuy: 10:19pm On Jan 09, 2008
Umar already disqualified himself as Crownvilla noted, I think it was in the punch/vanguard some days ago

and Olayinka sounds okay but the reason you gave were no where near convincing

DO YOU GUYS REALLY THINK DORA WILL DO ANY BETTER, I PERSONALLY DONT THINK SO! THESE ARE POLITICIANS NOT BUSINESSMEN!

the next boss should be from within the EFCC.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by kokoA(m): 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2008
Dora is a member of pdp remember. so, she is out. I still put my guy Maj. Gen Mohamed Buhari forward.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by crazyT(m): 11:36pm On Jan 09, 2008
New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be?

I'll suggest Gani Fawehinmi, although he is from the South too but we all know he is no supporter of PDP now OBJ.

So what do you think of this
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by nigeria1: 11:47pm On Jan 09, 2008
God forbit if it is Umar, this is one of the IBB boys , he was part of corrupt govt in Nigeria for many years, God forbit the return of IBB boys.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by nigeria1: 11:49pm On Jan 09, 2008
I suggest Major general william Ishola.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by onilanre(m): 12:15am On Jan 10, 2008
You all failed? Well, I believe in power shift but do you this Umar or Olayinka are up to the task?
Let us see what will happen aftermath.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by princekay1(m): 4:18am On Jan 10, 2008
No way!

Lets try FEMI FALANA. Why? First, there must be a shift from the north to south; second, the need boss of EFCC should be a no-nonsense lawyer; third, an activist who is brave is much better than a police office. I dont need to explain the corrupt practices that transpire in police shops (sorry! Police Stations). Olayinka will be influenced.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by Nobody: 5:06am On Jan 10, 2008
@nuzo

EFCC surely need a NEW boss

may be you should give us your candidate
instead of condemming all the candiates presented

What are talking about?
I cant remenber condemming the nominees, all i pointed out was their shortcomings.
Mind you, most people can do that job even better than Ribadu. But if Yaradua is not ready to fight corruption, then i'm afraid because all these nomination will be a waste of time.
Re: New EFCC Boss: Who Will It Be? by nigeria1: 6:39am On Jan 10, 2008
Umar is a tribalist person, I just do not want to discuss some issue over the internet. You want someone who is not tribalist. Umar was part of IBB corrupt govt for many years. Many of the so called corrupt men are his friend, so who is Umar going to arrest, ME, If we want to be transparent Nigeria is a nation of 150 million people, many people can hold this position. not going back to some former 419 IBB boys. We don try for anything IBB . If it smell IBB , we do not want. IBB ko, IBB ni.
IBB don't worry, the day I come to Nigeria, I would come and see you in Minna, I forget something inside your minna mansion. My own part of the national cake.

IBB I do not like you and you do not like me. And I do not want one of your famour letter bomb. So we need to settle our disagreement. So give me that my part of the national cake inside your mansion and I would be your friend. Na joke.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Believe In God - Ed Miliband (new Uk Labour Leader) / BUHARI Disgracefully Rejected In The SOUTH-SOUTH / Can't Sleep Co's Of Heavy Gun Shooting In Egbeda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.