Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains (12698 Views)

Where To Buy Uk Used Laptop On Wholesales Level / . / Online Bargains Are Always The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 3:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:
visa fee = £50, ticket = £500 or less, accommodation is free!
these people buy in bulk for themselves and others, there's variety if they travel and so on and so forth! nigerians are smart - if you think they are not making massive profits from these frequent trips then you know little about business!

Accommodation isn't free, some do rent houses for a week, or two... Calculate all that, and you'll find out that the profit margin(if at all there's any, or it's for re-selling purposes) isn't really that much...

And things aren't really that cheap in the UK, even during sales... So, I doubt any business minded person would prefer the UK, to other destinations where they could get the same merchandise(s) at cheaper costs..

If at all the Nigerian economy is going to grow, we need to start producing - and people need to start supporting locally made items... That's just my 2cents!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by crackhouse(m): 3:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
Those Nigerian big spenders in the UK are mostly the relations of our thieving politicians. Those monies are meant to be used in developing naija.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by stagger: 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2012
ehie: Being middle class in Nigeria isn't cheap. In a brightly lit KFC across the shopping centre, Taiwo Edun, an engineer, treated his girlfriend to crispy chicken and chips, a luxury beyond the reach of many at $20 (£13) a pop.
LOL is fried chicken and chips considered a treat by Nigerians?Junk

Nigeria is very crowded, traffic is terrible, fakes [wares] are everywhere. The only thing I'll buy from the market is fresh bulk vegetables, because there are no fake tomatoes," she added.
Why do Nigerians always badmouth Nigeria outside her shores.its like saying your mother is a lazy and ugly w.hre who doesn't cook

On point!

Honestly I do not understand it. How is N3,200 beyond the reach of many? I mean taking someone out in any fast food joint in Naija and ordering food for two comes to that amount, so what truly is the big deal?

Anyway I am not surprised. This is how the foreign media write nonsense about Nigeria. Yet I have many Israeli, European and Asian friends and acquaintances asking me about investment opportunities in Nigeria every week. If Naija was so bad, how come others are rushing to come in?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by kim77: 4:00pm On Sep 11, 2012
Huuummm...Something is fundamentally wrong with us Nigerian...YES.
The problem is forced marriage of stranged fellow and the solution is Disintegration. (Peaceful or otherwise).
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 4:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:
Accommodation isn't free, some do rent houses for a week, or two... Calculate all that, and you'll find out that the profit margin(if at all there's any, or it's for re-selling purposes) isn't really that much...

how many of them as a % rent their own houses on short term when they have relatives they can hang with for the period of time they would be staying? no matter how you look at it, they have done their math and they make profits!

And things aren't really that cheap in the UK, even during sales... So, I doubt any business minded person would prefer the UK, to other destinations where they could get the same merchandise(s) at cheaper costs..

it's not about the cheapness - whatever price they buy it here, they would add their profit on it and sell to nigerians and trust me - nigerians buy those things as long as its imported. the general perception is uk products come with a better quality!

If at all the Nigerian economy is going to grow, we need to start producing - and people need to start supporting locally made items... That's just my 2cents!

i don't disagree with this....but there are obstacles
to support locally made products, the products must come with quality - and the cost of producing a quality product would way too pricey for the average nigerian! it doesnt make any business sense producing such stuff - cheaper ones with lower quality would outsell your premium quality - why do you think 2nd hand products sell more volume than branded products in the top stores?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nightshift(m): 4:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
Isn't London the most expensive city to do shopping in Europe ? If not for language barrier , Milan or Paris would offer one better bargains than London .
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by hrhobi1(m): 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2012
Can anyone here help with price of the cheapest air ticket to london currently.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:
how many of them as a % rent their own houses on short term when they have relatives they can hang with for the period of time they would be staying? no matter how you look at it, they have done their math and they make profits!

Ok, let's assume they make 'profits'(which is debatable) - but that's in the short term - what about in the long term?? The value of the naira is going to keep falling, the economy will stay stagnant, and things in Nigeria stays getting expensive... No matter how you look at it, it's a lose lose situation... The same people crying about the government, are the same ones destroying manufacturing and production in Nigeria... How do you create jobs when people don't buy things made in their own country

it's not about the cheapness - whatever price they buy it here, they would add their profit on it and sell to nigerians and trust me - nigerians buy those things as long as its imported. the general perception is uk products come with a better quality!

I used to work in the post room at Acadia Group(topshop, topman etc..) when I was college - and trust me all they do is labelling and branding. Those so-called; 'imported goods' are also imported from India and other Asian countries... So, what's the biggie about them??

There's something wrong with the Nigerian mentality..

i don't disagree with this....but there are obstacles
to support locally made products, the products must come with quality - and the cost of producing a quality product would way too pricey for the average nigerian! it doesnt make any business sense producing such stuff - cheaper ones with lower quality would outsell your premium quality - why do you think 2nd hand products sell more volume than branded products in the top stores?

To be honest, you can only produce quality stuffs, if the people are willing to pay for them... I think most care about the brand and not the quality... For example: you can get certain stuffs from River Island, but most would prefer more pricey stuffs with lower quality from Gucci/LV, because of the brand name..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Jubilee12: 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

I understand where you're coming from, but my point is; why do they have spend that much just to shop in the UK - when they can get the same thing in Nigeria? Thus, keeping the money in the Nigerian economy... If you put the money they would spend to obtain the visa, flight tickets, accommodation etc... into consideration, is it really worth it??

I think most of them just do it out of ignorance and the "look cool" factor(inferiority complex) - just to show off that they 'shopped' in London... But either way, it's hurting the Nigerian economy, that was my point..

@Shymmex, please why are youbleavingbin the UK and not in Nigeria trying to save the 'Nigerian economy'?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by hrhobi1(m): 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
BE LIKE SAY UNA DEAF , I SAY MAKE SOMEBODY TELL ME THE D COST OF THE LOWEST TICKET I GET FROM LAGOS LOS TO LONDON LON FROM, EMIRATES SAY $1175 MY AGENT NA OLE. BIG OLE.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

^^^^Hmmmmm... I thought the country was poor - but the average Nigerian shopper in the UK spends 4 times what the average UK shoppers spends... You lot have got your priorities backward...Keep taking the money you should keep in your country outside, and expect "the hand of God" to turn your fortunes around.. undecided undecided

Guy, ur mouth caustic sha. grin
It has always been like that for years and the peeps the guardian was referring to are not even the big spenders, those are just the lower middle class.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by etunoman76(m): 4:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
I like d way this topic is being treated. I believe govt should make biz in d country competitive, especially the manufacturing sector. Look at what is happening in the telecom sector ( I know we aren't there, yet). Capital flight hurts the economy. I believe steady power supply will go a long way in taking care of most of this issues. Producers/manufacturers would be compelled to reduce cost of their products if the cost of production is reduced. Also, d issue of double, and sometimes triple, taxation should be addressed.
And come to think of it, stuffs are still relatively cheap@shoprite here in naija, at least the one in Abuja.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 4:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:
Ok, let's assume they make 'profits'(which is debatable) - but that's in the short term - what about in the long term?? The value of the naira is going to keep falling, the economy will stay stagnant, and things in Nigeria stays getting expensive... No matter how you look at it, it's a lose lose situation..

you think it's debatable they are making profits? don't make me laugh! who runs a business on a loss?

. The same people crying about the government, are the same ones destroying manufacturing and production in Nigeria... How do you create jobs when people don't buy things made in their own country

you are putting the cart before the horse - if there was an enabling environment to do business or if there's a low employment level in naija, people won't be comin to the uk in droves to do business!

I used to work in the post room at Acadia Group(topshop, topman etc..) when I was college - and trust me all they do is labelling and branding. Those so-called; 'imported goods' are also imported from India and other Asian countries... So, what's the biggie about them??

you know this - nigerians don't!!!

hahahahaha

To be honest, you can only produce quality stuffs, if the people are willing to pay for them... I think most care about the brand and not the quality... For example: you can get certain stuffs from River Island, but most would prefer more pricey stuffs with lower quality from Gucci/LV, because of the brand name..

the country is poor - how many people in naija can afford to pay for luxury goods?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by valdubem(m): 5:00pm On Sep 11, 2012
crackhouse: Those Nigerian big spenders in the UK are mostly the relations of our thieving politicians. Those monies are meant to be used in developing naija.

must U blame 'ur' politicians for everything As if IF ur dad is given d opportunity, he wont steal.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Akainzo(m): 5:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
The reality is simple, as long as the cost of production in Nigeria is high, businesses would be forced to undercut quality to survive.
And the middle class would respond by going somewhere else to get the quality they so desired!

You all need to remember that businesses survice mostly on volumes - turnover. If you sell quality product at N15K while the chap down the road sells a lower quality one from a dingy store for N5K, sure you would have some sales but in the long run, when you factor in all your costs, you would be forced to mix some lower quality stuff just for you to survive. Meanwhile, that chap that sells lower quality has a queue of customers. You know why, people know it is of less quality, but that is what they can afford.

Therefore the key in Nigeria is simple: produce and sell at a price where majority can afford it (that throws quality out the window!)
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by AjanleKoko: 6:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
ehie:

[i]Nigeria is very crowded, traffic is terrible, fakes [wares] are everywhere. The only thing I'll buy from the market is fresh bulk vegetables, because there are no fake tomatoes," she added.

Why do Nigerians always badmouth Nigeria outside her shores.its like saying your mother is a lazy and ugly w.hre who doesn't cook

That person who said that does not sound Nigerian. Marie Claire sounds like a French name to me. Most likely some expat in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by netwalker: 6:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:

I think this is part of the point Shymmex makes. Why can't our local businessmen, entrepreneurs, SME's and manufacturer innovatively rise to the challenge of strengthening the Nigerian economy by producing quality at home so that Nigerian money does not go outside the Nation chasing that quality? I totally agree with him in that regard because I have always wondered same myself. Why not simply learn to do things to World class standards even if you are in Africa? It is not an impossible or unrealistic concept.

NEPA, NEPA, NEPA, NEPA and again NEPA is the reason.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Olaone1: 7:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: What crap. Imagine mentioning the words 'UK' and 'bargain' in the same sentence shocked

(
If you want bargains, Britain shouldn't be your destination. Effing expensive.

Some random Nigerian dude spends $20 at KFC in London, and that is news? There is KFC in Nigeria also.
Is it that there's nothing better for this half-assed reporter to write about? Jeez. >:

This is about KFC in some shopping centre in Nigeria, I guess.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
I thought they say 80% of us live under $2 a day. Wonders shall never end.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by dasparrow: 8:00pm On Sep 11, 2012
@Post

I look forward to a time when we Nigerians/Africans will strongly patronize African goods. The problem though is that quality goods in Nigeria can be more expensive than quality goods in the western world. Hence, some Nigerians may choose to go to the UK to shop for certain items. If only we can have an enabling environment with stable power supply to manufacture quality goods, more Nigerians will not be tempted to shop abroad. Our epileptic power supply is a big issue and until we fix that, we will continue to remain a consumer nation that produces nothing.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Dipwater(m): 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2012
grin
shymexx:

And we shuld shun the mentality of waiting for one "miserable" foreign investor to come and repair our economy for us. The truth is any foreigner coming into our country for bizniz is here to make profit .my own 2cents + ur 2cents= 4cents
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by lepasharon(f): 11:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
I got banned for three days for making jokes about Garri!..WHAT THE FHUCK?!! angry
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by AjanleKoko: 12:56am On Sep 12, 2012
A country of 160 million people, and much ado is made of a few thousand people shopping in the UK?
Come on, guys. This lack of self-esteem na wa embarassed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by nylawal(m): 4:40am On Sep 12, 2012
@Longone_one you are spot-on. I wonder what happened to the Tinapa project?

On the UK shopping! I have seen Naija pple shopping like there's no tomorrow here! Only a few brits wear all these designer labels sef! On most days the designer shops are often scanty. I have been to M & S shop, where shop manager on learning I am a Nigerian, he informed me there's a certain woman that whenever she comes from Lagos, he practically have to close down the shop for two days; so she can pack her stock. Imagine my country reeling with poverty and unemployment!!!

To cap this, I was in Schippol airport Amsterdam, where a ad banner clearly shows a Hausa man (no pun intended) carrying a rocksack he with overflowing goods. Im sure the dutch have seen one to many of this stuffs! lol!

Abi pple how u see am?

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by gabbytabby: 7:35am On Sep 12, 2012
The trip itself is a critical part of the facade of keeping up with the joneses how are they suppose to let you and me know that they have still got it(even when they havent). The shopping allows them to defray part of this cost by buying some stuff for themselves and to sell.

Talk about misplaced priorities and our people get am plenty.

Having said this, I do agree that you can never guarantee quality at major places that you buy things in Nigeria and I do find myself shopping for stuff that I dont want wahala with.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by hyelhira: 9:11am On Sep 12, 2012
stagger:

Honestly I do not understand it. How is N3,200 beyond the reach of many? I mean taking someone out in any fast food joint in Naija and ordering food for two comes to that amount, so what truly is the big deal?

How can you understand? You are a big boy/girl. Do you know that most families have monthly incomes of less than N50,000. I know many people (graduates) who earn less than N20,000 per month and they have families. Wake up. Nigeria is worse than you know.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 9:37am On Sep 12, 2012
Billyonaire: I thought they say 80% of us live under $2 a day. Wonders shall never end.

i'd say 90% live under $2 per day! that 80% is an understatement!
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by erico2k2(m): 9:41am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

^^^^Hmmmmm... I thought the country was poor - but the average Nigerian shopper in the UK spends 4 times what the average UK shoppers spends... You lot have got your priorities backward...Keep taking the money you should keep in your country outside, and expect "the hand of God" to turn your fortunes around.. undecided undecided
People should stop thinking Nigerians are poor, they aint there are poor people everywhere in the world USA, Japan,China UK etc
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On Sep 12, 2012
hyelhira:

How can you understand? You are a big boy/girl. Do you know that most families have monthly incomes of less than N50,000. I know many people (graduates) who earn less than N20,000 per month and they have families. Wake up. Nigeria is worse than you know.
you can only speak for yourself, that's your circle,others live in a bigger circles,the thing is, if you want to live large, you have to work hard and take risks.Simple.
PS,I aint disin U
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by erico2k2(m): 9:48am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Ok, let's assume they make 'profits'(which is debatable) - but that's in the short term - what about in the long term?? The value of the naira is going to keep falling, the economy will stay stagnant, and things in Nigeria stays getting expensive... No matter how you look at it, it's a lose lose situation... The same people crying about the government, are the same ones destroying manufacturing and production in Nigeria... How do you create jobs when people don't buy things made in their own country

if you have worked where you said you do, you would have also noticed that those wears are quality controlled and are %100 cotton, not some cheap stuff, that is if you buy from them big shops ie if you go to TM lewin to buy 3 shirt for £100 pounds you know you got quality , the Chinese produce top qualities for these countries and also do fake stuff, but them fakes dont get here via the major shops cos they have good quality controls.If you go and buy from unbranded shops or car boot sale, you r on ur own there,
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by erico2k2(m): 9:51am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

your analysis is wrong,if you go to North London you will see massive ware houses, some import clothes others actual manufacture right there for high street shops, go to wood green and see for yourself

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Somatrix Marine Signs Strategic Mou With South Africa's Sandock Austral / Pls Where Can I Get A New Mint Money / South African Central Bank Fines HSBC For Lax Money Laundering Controls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.