Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains (12699 Views)

Where To Buy Uk Used Laptop On Wholesales Level / . / Online Bargains Are Always The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Sep 12, 2012
AjanleKoko: The story puts a ridiculous spin on a bunch of otherwise innocuous events. Oyinbo media sha embarassed

One person's shopping habits are superimposed on millions of Nigerians.
I suppose they spoke to 'thousands of Nigerians' who 'agreed'? What crap. Imagine mentioning the words 'UK' and 'bargain' in the same sentence shocked

Is that even a Nigerian name? Which Nigerian would buy frozen meat from Europe to bring to Nigeria?

This by far is the dumbest. Some random Nigerian dude spends $20 at KFC in London, and that is news? There is KFC in Nigeria also.
Is it that there's nothing better for this half-assed reporter to write about? Jeez. angry
Damn lol omg, I just saw the frozen meat bit, you aint even allowed tot ake that out of the country, how did this get into the front page? lol
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by stagger: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
hyelhira:

How can you understand? You are a big boy/girl. Do you know that most families have monthly incomes of less than N50,000. I know many people (graduates) who earn less than N20,000 per month and they have families. Wake up. Nigeria is worse than you know.

Guy,

I bought my first car in 2000 on a salary of N48,000 a month. In addition to my government work, I learnt web design on my own. My first accommodation was self contained. I painted my first house because after paying the rent, I had no money for furniture or painting or anything. There have even been times when I went 24 hours on only water. I have sold stuff on the street at a point in my life. If you talk of poverty, I think I have had a taste of it.

I did not become a big boy overnight. If na hustle, I don do am well well. The problem is that many graduates are unwilling to get their hands dirty in order to get them clean. If you need to work on a site or do bus conductor work for N2,000 a day, I do not see what is the big deal in it.

I do not need to wake up; I woke up a long time ago. After I sold stuff on the street and in banking halls years back, I came to the realization that the problem we have is that Naija has too many lazy graduates who need to wake up. There is work everywhere if you put aside shame and self-consciousness. Part of what emboldens a bus conductor who talks to passengers with authority is that he knows he will never come to your house to beg ga..i (oops, I almost said the banned word) from you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Vergil: 2:50pm On Sep 12, 2012
ilugunboy:

That is really profound and thought-provoking...

But when they come to African on tours...they hardly spend that much.

Maybe because, Nigerian/African stuff aren't in vogue.

We prefer watching western media, which is flooded with western-like goods. Which in turns make western stuff in vogue.

Not African stuff.

Also, u lot fail to realise the author (Monica Mark) is black. Maybe Nige, based in Nige. Reports on west africa for the guardian.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Vergil: 3:30pm On Sep 12, 2012
stagger:
On point!

Honestly I do not understand it. How is N3,200 beyond the reach of many? I mean taking someone out in any fast food joint in Naija and ordering food for two comes to that amount, so what truly is the big deal?

Anyway I am not surprised. This is how the foreign media write nonsense about Nigeria. Yet I have many Israeli, European and Asian friends and acquaintances asking me about investment opportunities in Nigeria every week. If Naija was so bad, how come others are rushing to come in?

You must be out of your mind!loool!

So, u always spend N3200 on kfc sized chicken with fries, all the time in Nige? Hmm

When u can get a bigger lap, portion of chicken in Tantalizers or dem other take away for N800.

Nige pple hype this KFC shyt waaay too much. Only thing I see priced right and is cheaper than KFC in the UK/US is the cone ice cream they sell for N100. Asides that, the others are just waay too expensive, compared to the price in the UK/US.

Heeeeck! You'd fkin get a plate of Nige fav dishes...Pounded yam, sorts of rice for less that price and "belle full".

Repeat, KFC in Nige is some rubbish ostentatious BS, for Nige pple!!!!!

Oya o.. Lie!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by stagger: 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2012
Vergil:

You must be out of your mind!loool!

So, u always spend N3200 on kfc sized chicken with fries, all the time in Nige? Hmm

When u can get a bigger lap, portion of chicken in Tantalizers or dem other take away for N800.

Nige pple hype this KFC shyt waaay too much. Only thing I see priced right and is cheaper than KFC in the UK/US is the cone ice cream they sell for N100. Asides that, the others are just waay too expensive, compared to the price in the UK/US.

Heeeeck! You'd fkin get a plate of Nige fav dishes...Pounded yam, sorts of rice for less that price and "belle full".

Repeat, KFC in Nige is some rubbish ostentatious BS, for Nige pple!!!!!

Oya o.. Lie!!!!

Where in my post did I say that I eat KFC ALL THE TIME (as in three times a day, seven days a week)? Some of you just hit your keyboard faster than your brains can reason.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Vergil: 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2012
erico2k2:
you can only speak for yourself, that's your circle,others live in a bigger circles,the thing is, if you want to live large, you have to work hard and take risks.Simple.
PS,I aint disin U

That's a very wrong thing to say. So are you saying some of those pple of families he spoke of aren't working hard? Aren't sweating blood daily, 6am - 6pm? Talk proper man!
Actually kinda dis-appointed and annoyed at your statement. When I'm feeling down for some of these pple, you are, in a way, talking down on them. All cos u seem to think u have it good.

Came to Nige almost 2yrs ago now and I've seen things that almost makes me kinda teary. Served with an oil company (the staffs makes enough money to take care of them selves, not including the contract nairas on the side) and you have the drivers on about N30-40K monthly. Same amount of money I almost spend on trivial stuff, recharge cards etc. Felt bad and stopped spending unnecessary asap! Big boy/girl attitude, not giving a shyt about ur fellow pple, giving reasons they don't work as hard as you.
You'd probably would go on saying they didn't work hard in school or work hard enough to enrol themselves in school or wot not. Heck, you'd prob say (like most pple on this site say), they aren't business ready; they should start their business etc.

Guy, think a little deeper before you write something...aite? *bigger circles.....psssh plzzzz*
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Vergil: 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2012
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Vergil: 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
stagger:

Where in my post did I say that I eat KFC ALL THE TIME (as in three times a day, seven days a week)? Some of you just hit your keyboard faster than your brains can reason.

Ahhhh man! And u say, type faster than brain can reason. Think that "some of you" includes u guy.

By all the time, one could argue I meant once a week, twice a week....heeck thrice a month. Cmon....aint it kinda subjective.

Was referring to this statement u made:
" I mean taking someone out in any fast food joint in Naija and ordering food for two comes to that amount"

You say ANY fast food and I was pointing out that it aint reaally ANY fast food. Was pointing out that in other fast food "joint", you can get the meal cheaper than that amount. You'd also get it cheaper if you plan on getting the same thing from KFC (i.e. Chicken n chips). Hence d price break down I wrote. Haven't been in a lot of fast food places in Nige, but the few I've been in.....cmon, can spend less, FOR TWO!

Shzzz!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by occam(m): 4:51pm On Sep 12, 2012
Can you blame these folks for shopping in London? Nigeria can never be a top manufacturer of household goods & clothing; let's forget that. The opportunity is gone. That ship has sailed. Mexicans, Chinese, Indians and some other Asian Countries have become highly efficient at producing these goods at competitive prices.

For instance a lot of goods in Shoprite, except food are mostly imported.

So what should we focus on? We still have some competitive advantage in agriculture, food processing and agro allied activities if we get our act together.

Producing quality goods require solid Supply chain management, access to finance, well trained workforce, solid infrastructure etc Having a abundance of labour is not an advantage if few are well trained to use modern and complex manufacturing equipment
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Venchy: 4:55pm On Sep 12, 2012
Seriously......Life is hard in Nigeria and it's not today it's all started..e don tay.

The Nigerian shopper in UK are tiny minority that have a very good job or NIGERIAN FAT COW that steals public funds.

Before DEBENHAMS can mount a greeting SIGNS in Nigerian Language on the entrance of their store in OXFORD STREET, boy, there has been some serious survey on their customer, I suppose there's nothing bad in that, it's just a case of a Prodigal son that sells all their house old.e.g Nigerian Politicians.

Average Nigerians in London can not spend like Back home Nigerians, it's all the FAT COWS....

But Nigerians at home should STAND ON THE CROOKED HEAD TO STRAIGHT in order to survive and not wanting White collar job all the time.

The shoppers headline represent 1% rich Nigerians, 4% of Rouges politicians.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by occam(m): 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

I understand where you're coming from, [b]but my point is; why do they have spend that much just to shop in the UK - when they can get the same thing in Nigeria? [/b]Thus, keeping the money in the Nigerian economy... If you put the money they would spend to obtain the visa, flight tickets, accommodation etc... into consideration, is it really worth it??

I think most of them just do it out of ignorance and the "look cool" factor(inferiority complex) - just to show off that they 'shopped' in London... But either way, it's hurting the Nigerian economy, that was my point..

You're wrong. They can't get the same thing in Nigeria. Too many low quality, "factory rejects" from China have flooded the street of our cities. Visits stores in Lagos and you'll see most of the clothes look like second hand clothing. Those Chinese just keep dumping rubbish in our market.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by halavoke: 5:51pm On Sep 12, 2012
Who no go no knw'. Naija pple rily spend dat much on shopping,most london shops identify nigerian shoppers wit d amt of cash de carry n vol of gds bot. Thr middle class rily knw ow to splurge. Last trip I went wit a bag, came back wit 3 plus a hand luggage
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by halavoke: 5:51pm On Sep 12, 2012
Who no go no knw'. Naija pple rily spend dat much on shopping,most london shops identify nigerian shoppers wit d amt of cash de carry n vol of gds bot. Thr middle n upper class rily knw ow to splurge. Last trip I went wit a bag, came back wit 3 plus a hand luggage
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by igbo2011(m): 6:37am On Sep 13, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I look forward to a time when we Nigerians/Africans will strongly patronize African goods. The problem though is that quality goods in Nigeria can be more expensive than quality goods in the western world. Hence, some Nigerians may choose to go to the UK to shop for certain items. If only we can have an enabling environment with stable power supply to manufacture quality goods, more Nigerians will not be tempted to shop abroad. Our epileptic power supply is a big issue and until we fix that, we will continue to remain a consumer nation that produces nothing.

I created a site promoting African goods, fashion, art, tourism and investing. Check out the African Economic Development Plan. What do you think about it? Can you give me constructive criticism to make it better?
www.africanedp.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Somatrix Marine Signs Strategic Mou With South Africa's Sandock Austral / Pls Where Can I Get A New Mint Money / South African Central Bank Fines HSBC For Lax Money Laundering Controls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.