Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? (13658 Views)

Work In Progress (vw Beetle) / I Need A List Of Good Driving Schools In Lekki / Driving Schools In Lagos: Someone Help Me Out Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by azpekuliar: 5:51pm On Sep 12, 2012
I remember this vehicle with a lot of nostalgia as a kid...but..

Why do driving schools (in Lagos) still use old, battered, rickety VOLKSWAGEN BETTLES (TYPE 1) to teach learners how to drive??

Is it because of the cost? There are more recent cars that are just as cheap to use for learning purposes.

Is it cos of its awkward gearing, where you could start off in second gear?... cheesy

or the manual drive stick shift that juts out in your face like a haulage truck.... cheesy

I must admit that I tend to admire, the car from afar, but only as an icon of automotive history, (the most manufactured model of a single design) but still can't place why it's still the car of choice for driving schools. I think it's look is pretty intimidating for a wanna-be-learner driver.... cheesy

In contributing let's share some experiences with this automotive icon - the 'Peoples Car'.

Contributions pleaseee.....

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Redmosquito(m): 11:39am On Nov 20, 2012
Minions: Your painfulness! Why is Beetle car used in driving lessons?
Hades:Learner drivers are destructive. The beetle is a cheap car. Can easily be paid for by the learner. No learner can pay for Limousine damages.
Minions: My Lord! The answer was before all along?! Forgive my foolishness

26 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by salolo(m): 11:40am On Nov 20, 2012
old cargos
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by dilbert100: 11:40am On Nov 20, 2012
do they? lmao........er..... undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by coogar: 11:43am On Nov 20, 2012
volkswagen beetles are used because they are cheap - in that even if you crash them as a learning driver, the damage would be minimal. what do you expect driving instructors to use? bentley or bugatti?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by lankspex(m): 11:46am On Nov 20, 2012
Its probably because,if you can drive a volkswagen beetle,then you can drive any car.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 20, 2012
OP thanks for bringing dis up. Dis thing have been bothering me in my mind for too long now. I really will like to know why? Peeps that went to driving school what were their reasons for using it to teach you how to drive. Or is it that if you can drive that that means you can drive anything vehicle. Even its look alike 911 truck.
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by redsquare(m): 11:49am On Nov 20, 2012
I think it's because of the repair/replacement cost in case of a crash. My friends dad bought a second hand VW Beetle N6,000 last year. grin
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by bory09(m): 11:55am On Nov 20, 2012
Volkswagen beetle is the best choice for those learning to be a commercial driver most especially those that will end up to be a danfo or paragon driver. Sey you no know say na mad dem dey use cure mad, na rough thing dem go use teach rough driver.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by mynaija123(m): 12:01pm On Nov 20, 2012
Reason: price for 1= 18k, buying 2 = 30k plus one free, buying 3 = madness, straight to the psychiatrist. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Etumgbe(m): 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
Cos of it's ruggedity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Yinkay: 12:05pm On Nov 20, 2012
Because nothing kills a Beetle

1 Like

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Yinkay: 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
Because nothing kills a Beetle!
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by miteolu(m): 12:10pm On Nov 20, 2012
lankspex: Its probably because,if you can drive a volkswagen beetle,then you can drive any car.

na lie
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by hardbody: 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
I guess two reasons, that car is very rugged and the manouverability of the gear is such that if you can handle it, you can handle any and every other vehicle. I recall my dad used both the beetle and peugeot 504 to teach myself and my bro how to drive. Needless to say, it is only articulated vehicles that i have not bothered to drive since then. I can move virtually anything on wheels. And i miss the beetle.......
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by oge4real(f): 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
POVERTY
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by jimjones: 12:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
oh, the Koenigsegg CCGT is ridiculously cheap and handles like a biatch. learners need something a bit more expensive and classy. think vw beetle.
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by 4reigningqueen: 12:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
waoh, just 18k! Thats my dads first and only car *runs out of the house*. on my way to buy my own.i also want to be a car owner !!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Iolo(m): 12:15pm On Nov 20, 2012
@OP, see the iron body. It will be extremely difficult for any learner to bash the poor beetle for its owner. Besides , its dirt cheap.
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Tinyemeka(m): 12:16pm On Nov 20, 2012
Yinkay: Because nothing kills a Beetle!
LOL. But beetles can be squashed na.

As regards the car, I think it's cos it's cheap, has well-reinforced bumpers in the event of an accident, and no matter how hard you throttle, you can't over-speed (for the over-zealous learners). Besides that, the rattle of the car would warn those ahead of it's approach. smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 20, 2012
Ah..i always wonder too oh
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
because that is what the training companies can afford, so when you spoil it in the process of learning they wont fill it like that but i have some standard driving schools that use good cars for their training
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by RomanyChi(f): 12:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
well i think because of the cost to maintain. But when i learnt driving we used a toyota corolla instead of the beetle.
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by lafuria1(m): 12:35pm On Nov 20, 2012
uihebom: OP thanks for bringing dis up. Dis thing have been bothering me in my mind for too long now. I really will like to know why? Peeps that went to driving school what were their reasons for using it to teach you how to drive. Or is it that if you can drive that that means you can drive anything vehicle. Even its look alike 911 truck.
1. it is cheap ie the beetles are affordable. u are dealing with learners, there is high probability of accident
2. not easy to drive. u all that have driven either a jeep or hummer, either a bettle or a manual car and u wont move one inch. i learnt with beetles, i didnt like it, i prefered auto but the fact is if u can drive a manual car like beettle, auto wont be a problem.

the major reason now is just affordability becos most cars we have now are auto, why still learn with a manual and again, the driving schs arent making that much revenue, 10k per person and how many people do they get a month? not much. so using a more expensive and beta car isnt good for the business.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by MMM2(m): 12:35pm On Nov 20, 2012
Dats is what we call square 1
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
The Volkswagen Beetle Type I is on my list of cars to buy. I'm looking for a nice 1303S to fully restore, and fit an alternative Boxer engine. Either from a Subaru Imprezza, or the 2,5 Boxer from the Subaru Legacy. The Boxer from the Alfa Romeo 33 is also a strong contender.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by megxo(m): 12:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
COM USE RANGE ROVER LEARN NA? angry

WON SHERE.............
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by AkinDavid2: 12:41pm On Nov 20, 2012
You drive VW beetle then you can drive any car!
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Chidex2442(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
I think it's because it does not have high speed and it does nt consume much fuel!
So in that case it is recomended 4 learners

1 Like

Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by Reference(m): 1:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
Because it offers aid free practice whether it is the un-padded, un-powered steering wheel, its clunky gearbox or its spring filled seats. You get to sweat it out. Well I really don't know. Its a similar manner to that about whether its ideal to allow elementary school kids use calculators really. Neither here nor there.
Re: Why Do Driving Schools Use Volkswagen Beetle To Teach Driving? by browncool(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2012
Because it's one of the most old difficult car to drive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Signs Of A Faulty Brainbox In A Nissan / 5 Steps To Handle A Tire Burst While Driving / Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.