Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects (9579 Views)

FG Takes Cross River To Court Over Super Highway / "Cameron Flew Commercial To China For £40B, 2016 PMB Flies Private Jet For $2b" / Fashola Commissions 3 Projects In Epe. PICS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by onomeasike: 10:54pm On Sep 13, 2012
the fraud is in the bloated cost of the project since it is the same chinese creditor that will cost the project shocked shocked shocked and hidden cost of acquisition of the loan and emotional cost that it can go the way of the substandard 'lost' made in china NIGERIAN SATELITE.see other reasons why borrowing money to build airport just dont make sense in my earlier post in https://www.nairaland.com/1041774/something-fishy-chinese-106-billion
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by cdamsel(f): 12:39am On Sep 14, 2012
dedeike:
The Fashola you talk of governs a state that is the most indebted in Nigeria. Lagos state tops the list of indebted states in Nigeria with a total Foriegn debt profile of five hundred million dollars.
If in doubt, review this link.http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-kaduna-criver-ogun-oyo-top-foreign-debtors-list/

Secondly, America's debt profile rose drastically under Obama to 16 trillion dollars.http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/05/news/economy/federal-debt/?iphoneemail

What I'm driving at is that it is not wrong to borrow to finance certain critical projects. Provided that the projects for which the facility is granted is duly executed, then it is in order.
A critical X-ray of the terms of the loan shows that it is almost like a grant. No real objective mind would have a problem with this loan.

bros u missed my point,if dey re taking moni 4 d BASA fund wat do dey still need 500million loan 4?500million no reach fix d electricity problem in nig?am all 4 change nt wen u do it @ d expense of d country.incase u didn't read it,nigeria wld pay bk,a time period was given,so all dis talk about china giving us infrastructure & all dat is just more cheap talk.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by cdamsel(f): 12:45am On Sep 14, 2012
taharqa: If you dont know wot u re talking about(and u certainly do not) why dont u ask questns and stop there?ignorant ppl who confidently mk 'points' on public fora disgust me
pls enlighten me?chinese ambassador 2 NL undecided
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by ROCKJ1(m): 4:08am On Sep 14, 2012
Oh! Now I see why we were asked to learn the chinese language... Hahahahaha!
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Aringon(m): 8:42am On Sep 14, 2012
chucky234: Can't stop laughing at your daftness,how do we pay back the loan? Let me guess,to pay back Nigeria will have to manufacture the same set of materials Exim Bank supplied us for the rail projects then ship them back to China to settle the loan, abi?
Your mumu wear thick coat, what a besotted clown.
U r st--pid from the womb and si-k in the head, do u think with ur head at all or from ur bum bum or na gas u smoke? what arrant nonsense, fellow nairlanders were complaining of yet another looting by our govt, I tried explaining to them that, govt officials wont see a dime to loot. The loan was approved by the Chinese govt and since it is thru their EXIM BANK, it will be converted to the materials that will be used for the airport construction, internet backbone n all.

What do you know about EXIM BANK loan? You just exposed ur st-pidity of the highest order haba. U just read that the interest rate is @2% or so and a 7 year free period, since the airports and the internet stuff will generate funds, it will then be used to pay back the loan, please dont be s-lly next time ok n learn to ask questions for clarity, f--l
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Nonybb: 9:25am On Sep 14, 2012
And we have $41.5 billion external reserve. Why is the money there for nigerians sake?
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Aringon(m): 10:26am On Sep 14, 2012
Nonybb: And we have $41.5 billion external reserve. Why is the money there for nigerians sake?
If you deplete the external reserve, 1- the naira value will be low 2- your credit worthiness will be at the lowest ebb
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by BENZINA(m): 12:02pm On Sep 14, 2012
HNosegbe: Though 2.5% is not a bad rate of interest (assuming there are no hidden charges) and there's a moratorium of 7 years, I still have doubts.

1. Is there any form of quality assurance testing on the materials to be used for the rail project?

2. Who will manage the rails and the airports once work is completed?

3. How do we know the money won't be diverted to somewhere else, or that the projects won't suffer cost overruns?

4. How do we know the projects won't end up on the long list of failing/abandoned projects?

5. Is it a government that cannot account for how much oil we produce that can manage foreign debt?my friend is this how you run your life(pessimism).No wonder you have not been successful.The faith GEJ has in starting these projects shall make it come to success,AMEEEEEEEEEN.

Until questions like these are answered satisfactorily, I remain skeptical.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by BENZINA(m): 12:10pm On Sep 14, 2012
HNosegbe: Though 2.5% is not a bad rate of interest (assuming there are no hidden charges) and there's a moratorium of 7 years, I still have doubts.

1. Is there any form of quality assurance testing on the materials to be used for the rail project?

2. Who will manage the rails and the airports once work is completed?

3. How do we know the money won't be diverted to somewhere else, or that the projects won't suffer cost overruns?

4. How do we know the projects won't end up on the long list of failing/abandoned projects?

5. Is it a government that cannot account for how much oil we produce that can manage foreign debt?

Until questions like these are answered satisfactorily, I remain skeptical.
My friend is this how you run your life(pessimism).No wonder you have not been successful.The faith GEJ has to initiates these projects shall make it come to success,Ameeeeeeeeeeen.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Reptyle(m): 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
Borrowing money for new airport terminals in a country where we are struggling with the availability of basic amenities like power just does not make any sense to me.

It is also strange that the move is been championed by a woman who helped to get us out of the murky waters of foreign debts just a few years ago. One would assume that she would be a bit more circumspect in guiding another government down that same road now, knowing our penchant for defaulting on this kind of arrangement in the past.

This is quite worrisome for me.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by shamama: 3:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
D terms of d loan is fair,so is good one fr naija.transportation,cmunication will b beter,kudos to GEj jare.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Edozie13(m): 4:07pm On Sep 14, 2012
Choi! *smh* they (china) better come and look for one oil well to take cos naija no dey pay igbese
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 14, 2012
BENZINA: My friend is this how you run your life(pessimism).No wonder you have not been successful.The faith GEJ has to initiates these projects shall make it come to success,Ameeeeeeeeeeen.

Lol... Another dumb bozo. So I should sing "kumbayah" and accept anything the government throws my way without asking questions? Why am I then a citizen? Do you think projects are executed by prayers or loans repaid by fasting? And who told you I'm not successful? How did you find out the extent of my success (or lack of it) when we have never interacted beyond a public, faceless forum?

Oga, please get a life.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by BENZINA(m): 11:19am On Sep 15, 2012
HNosegbe:

Lol... Another dumb bozo. So I should sing "kumbayah" and accept anything the government throws my way without asking questions? Why am I then a citizen? Do you think projects are executed by prayers or loans repaid by fasting? And who told you I'm not successful? How did you find out the extent of my success (or lack of it) when we have never interacted beyond a public, faceless forum?

Oga, please get a life.
As an upcoming youth learn to be appreciative.Learn to say the truth if you see one.
Re: FG Takes $1.1Bn Loan From China For 3 Projects by jpphilips(m): 10:44am On Sep 17, 2012
maclatunji:

If you like turn the cash into Cassava, it is still debt.

what Aringon said is worrisome, don't discard info like that, if the EXIM fund projects in that manner, having procurement under their armpit, then, where is the employment for Nigerians in a $1.1b venture

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IGBOS And The South South Minorities. / I’ll Double As President And Sports Minister If … – Omoyele Sowore / Igbos Seek National Equity As Group Insist Speaker Of The House Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.