Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,556 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Hit-and-run Driver Kills Rescuers At Accident Scene - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hit-and-run Driver Kills Rescuers At Accident Scene (652 Views)

An Hit And Run At Ikeja Along (Images Inside) / 8 Types Of People You'll Meet At A Fighting Scene In Nigeria / Hit-and-run Driver Kills Sun Vice Chairman, Dimgba Igwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hit-and-run Driver Kills Rescuers At Accident Scene by newsgistscom: 9:07am On Sep 14, 2012
in Fagba Ishaga in Lagos State. Two men who were rescuing an accident victim on a railway line, including bystanders were hit by a speeding car.

Eyewitnesses said one of the men died on the spot while the other died on the way to the hospital. Many others were critically injured.

At Fagba railway level crossing where the accident occurred, an eyewitness, Peter Adebayo, said, “About 10.15pm, an oncoming train hit a car trying to cross. It was damaged and some of the tricycle operators in our park, rushed to get the car off the road and help the injured lone occupant.

“There was a crowd there and others who were waiting to board taxis or buy things because some women sell there in the night.

“A white Toyota Sienna ran into the crowd hitting everything on its way. By the time we rushed to the scene. Many people were already on the ground unconscious.”

A tricycle operator, Moruf Oguntoyinbo, was said to have died on the spot. He was the Chairman of the Fagba-Puposola Unit of the Tricycle Riders’ Association at the park.

Another tricycle operator, 42-year-old Musbau Adeyinka, popularly called Murphy in the area, died on his way to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital.

Musbau’s wife, Wosila, told mYpallys News, she was shocked when she heard about her husband’s death.

“He made a lot of promise to me and our six children, which he had yet to fulfil. I don’t even know how I would carry the burden of our children,” she said.

On Tuesday, when our correspondent visited one of the survivors, Idowu Babatunde, at Mercy Hospital, Fagba, he could not recollect what happened to him.

A doctor at the hospital, Kareem Shehu, said Idowu was brought to the hospital unconscious. He said although an x-ray had been taken to determine if the victim had any internal injury, Idowu could still not recollect how the accident happened.

Idowu’s wife, Folashade, said she learnt that her husband was one of the rescuers before he was hit by the bus.

Another victim, Bimbo Atanda, who had a broken leg, is being treated at home.

“I was going to a vigil, but I stopped at the bus stop to buy bread. I can’t even say where the vehicle came from. All I remember is being hit and, later found myself in the hospital,” Atanda said.

Re: Hit-and-run Driver Kills Rescuers At Accident Scene by newsgistscom: 9:09am On Sep 14, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Is Being Wealthy A True Measure Of Success? / Which Is Harder To Find In Naija?? / Jonathan Paid A Visit To Governor Idris Wada Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.