Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,026 members, 7,810,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l (815 Views)

Emefiele Should Resign - Save Nigeria Anti-Corruption Initiative / Transparency Int'l Rated Jonathan Govt Over Obj's And Buhari's / Transparency Int'l Rates President GEJ Govt As Best, Says Buhari, Obasanjo... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l by Jeboy(m): 2:01pm On Sep 14, 2012
The Federal Government’s fight against corruption is paying-off in the global arena as a survey by Transparency International (TI) shows Nigeria’s corruption perception has improved.

The survey on global corruption perceptions for 2011 versus 2001 showed that the third best improvement in the world was in Nigeria, with its score improving by 1.5 points. In the scoring, Nigeria follows the United States of America, which scored 2 points, while Bangladesh scored the highest by 2.3 points.

Also in the survey, the corruption perception score showed that Nigeria displaced Zambia, Mauritius, Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, Senegal, Cote d’Ivore, Malawi, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Egypt, Namibia, and Tunisia.

Barely one year ago, the Co-ordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, had vowed to tackle corruption in the country, saying the move would help the ministry to effectively deliver on its mandate.

Okonjo-Iweala was appointed last year by President Goodluck Jonathan to restore some order to Nigeria’s public finance. A former World Bank managing director, she is battling to reform one of the world’s most corrupt nations, without support from the shadowy “godfathers” who wield power from behind the scenes.

Nigeria scored higher than countries like Poland, South Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Belgium, Romania, Latvia, Bolivia, Estonia, Slovenia, Germany, Turkey, Hong Kong, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, India, Norway, Azerbaijani, Ecuador, Australia, France, Sweden, Costa Rica, Slovakia, Vietnam, and Kenya.

Other countries Nigeria scored higher than are Taiwan, Ukraine, Thailand, Pakistan, Russia, China, Croatia, Nicaragua, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Austria, Singapore, Lithuania, Denmark, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Luxembourg, Portugal, Moldova, Brazil, Canada, the Philippines, Chile, Columbia, Jordan, Panama, Finland, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, the United Kingdom, Uruguay, Bulgaria, Malaysia, Peru, Mexico, Hungary, Spain, Greece, Venezuela, Iceland, Uzbekistan, Italy, Israel, and Trinidad and Tobago.

The survey further showed that nine Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) countries have seen improving scores against five SSA countries that saw a decline (Namibia and South Africa) from high scores previously.

Two North African countries saw a big decline – and that may have contributed to the regime change which saw autocrats deposed in those countries. “The middle class in Tunisia was particularly incensed by the corruption in their country,” said Charlie Robertson, Managing Director, Global Chief Economist, Renaissance Capital.

(I know so many blind pessimist who only rejoice when Nigeria is painted in bad light will not like this and even reject the story, See link below).

http://businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/44406-fgs-anti-corruption-initiative-impacts-nigerias-global-perception
Re: Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l by Jeboy(m): 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2012
My First initiation of a new Post in Nairaland. I believe in the new Nigeria of my dream. It may take us some time because of the many bad foundation past leaders have exposed Nigeria to but we will get there!
Re: Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l by SkyBlue1: 2:19pm On Sep 14, 2012
What fight against corruption is paying off? I hold that report in very little regard. If there is one thing I can confidently say this government is failing in it is the corruption fight. Do I even dare utter the words Farouk and Fuel Subsidy? Just because one has grown weary with frustration over the inability of citizens to unite and demand better does not mean one has forgotten. Just maintaining look and see mode until that Jonathan of a man start campaigning again and brings anti-corruption up as achievement then we will remind him. What anti corruption fight please? Does such a thing even exist in Nigeria? What has been the result of the many probes instigated around these matters? We were told by July, it is now mid September. Please don't get me started on this crap. . . .

(And Ribadu after all the noise you made, what has happened?)
Re: Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l by Jeboy(m): 2:51pm On Sep 14, 2012
@Sky Blue : What is it about Farouk and Fuel Subsidy?

Are the fuel subsidy defaulters not arraigned and charged to court even when the people involved are big shots? The IGP has explained why they are not in a hurry in taking Farouk to court so that the judge doesnt strike the case for lack of evidence. You just echo Farouk and Subsidy without meaningful points.

I get your body language, you would have preferred a negative headline so you can conclude Nigeria is a failed state....sorry we aint a failed state. We are moving step ahead

Aint saying everything about govt. is good but if there is a positive steps in govt irrespective of where the leaders of the political parties are let us admit so they can do more and if they fumble critisize them. Am tired of people who do not see anything good in what other people do. Some people will still say am part of the laptop team....
Re: Fg’s Anti-corruption Initiative Is Finally Paying Off-transparency Int'l by thehomer: 3:05pm On Sep 14, 2012
This article either very badly written or just deliberately misinforming. On what planet does Nigeria perform better than Japan or Ghana? The article should have clearly said that the change in perception of corruption in Nigeria is better than the changes in those countries rather than Nigeria ranking higher than those countries.

From the table here, Nigeria along with many other countries ranks 143.

Obviously when a country like Nigeria is ranked so poorly, barring a war, she virtually has no direction to go but up.

(1) (Reply)

New Parks And Garden Law In Lagos State. Sounds Obnoxious And Oppressive. / KADUNA BOMBING: Okada, Lead Me To St. Rita Catholic Church–suicide Bomber. / The Persisitent Boko Haram Menace: The Best Way Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.