Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,367 members, 7,954,490 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:14 PM

Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? (9539 Views)

Do You Think Nigerians Can Take This Threat Seriously?? (screenshots) / Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Wizeboy(m): 2:09pm On Sep 14, 2012
Telecoms companies in the country earned N180 billion from Short Message Service (SMS) sent by Nigerians in 2011. That figure is expected to increase in 2012 as research carried out by London based Ovum Technology, an international research and development company showed a 33% growth in the quantum of spending in 2010 (N135 billion) and by 73% year-on-year in 2009 (N78 billion).

Etisalat CEO told journalists that Telecoms companies across the world gross $150 billion annually from SMS. Nigerian telco’s earnings represent a small fraction of the global earnings. However with strategic focus on the profit center, those earnings could continue to showcase growth spurts. Especially as SMS revenue is perpetually threatened by smart phones.
Smart phones pose a clear and present danger to SMS revenues, because smart phones have applications that allow data subscribers to increasingly bypass the need to SMS for a fee.

He said: “Over the last few years, telecoms industry has recorded six billion mobile phone users, while over 100 million users have been recorded in Nigeria. The over 100 million users are fantastic for the industry. Nigeria is now about the 10th in the world table of mobile subscribers. We are regarding mobile phone as the single most used devices globally.”

“7.8 trillion Text messages were sent in 2011 and SMS traffic is expected to reach 9.6trillion in 2012. By 2013, the SMS revenue is forecast to break the $150 billion mark for the first time, and it will continue to grow for the next two years.”

Nigerian telecoms companies will continue to experience an increase in SMS revenue and are advised to improve their product offerings so smart phone users do not abandon the service altogether.
It is important for telecoms companies to partner with innovative companies that can provide cutting edge solutions for branding that increases SMS revenue . Innovation should also be encouraged from within the rank and file of the staff strength.

CAN SMART PHONE REALLY POSE A THREAT TO NIGERIA'S SMS INDUSTRY?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by ben4ever(m): 4:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
if you have used 2go, whats app, nimbuzz, facebook chat, u will undastand.

2 Likes

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by kejisept25: 5:31pm On Sep 14, 2012
With all dose Instant message apllications listed above,Itz @ threat cos, I personally, see it as a sin to send SMS using money

3 Likes

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by luluosas(m): 2:32pm On Sep 15, 2012
I have thousands of free sms wasted during the Glo 3in1 promo that ended on the 31, July, 2012 as a result of the fact that, I no longer send sms. Even at that, there are handful of online client offering FREE sms, the likes of VConnect and the rest.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 1:30am On Sep 16, 2012
Send SMS 4 wot naaw
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by NEROSKY(m): 1:34am On Sep 16, 2012
i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by kpolli(m): 2:02am On Sep 16, 2012
They charge us for data plans so wat r they complaining about. . . Plus intra-sms is N0 expense to the company so it's 100% profit, so as they are not losing shingbain, they should not complain

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by hurricaneChris: 2:14am On Sep 16, 2012
The last time i sent sms was five months ago. These days i dont c need to do that. I wud rather login and send u offline msg dan to waste my moni on sms. But if d matter is urgent, i will call. Me think their threats are all these apps like whatsapp, 2go, etc...........expecially whatsapp! Its jus anoda form of pingin
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by NaijaNaWaa: 2:38am On Sep 16, 2012
This is too misleading. If I may ask, don't you pay to use Smartphones on the networks and don't you pay to use the apps over the networks? So kini big deal?

3 Likes

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 3:09am On Sep 16, 2012
SMS costs next to nothing especially if its with the same network. I still make extensive use of it sepecially if its urgent and important.

But the truth is that I only make use of it on rare occasions when there are so many convenient alternatives.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by 7footre(m): 5:36am On Sep 16, 2012
NEROSKY: i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?
This new generation apps need a mobile phone to be operational right?

4 Likes

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by DualCore1: 5:52am On Sep 16, 2012
7footre:
This new generation apps need a mobile phone to be operational right?
The mobile phones don't need to be smart to be able to run those apps.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by heed101(m): 5:58am On Sep 16, 2012
NEROSKY: i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?
grin and I think u can use CDMA phones, 2nd generation(Nokia 3310) phones for all these new generation apps

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by francis247(m): 6:04am On Sep 16, 2012
Dual Core:
The mobile phones don't need to be smart to be able to run those apps.
No they don't. But they need 2 b smart 2 be able 2 give instant feedback (just like sms) 2 d receiver unlike dem Java phones.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Mynd44: 6:14am On Sep 16, 2012
francis247: No they don't. But they need 2 b smart 2 be able 2 give instant feedback (just like sms) 2 d receiver unlike dem Java phones.
If you use whatsapp, you dont need a smart phone to give you feed back on isht.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by oubi: 6:15am On Sep 16, 2012
grin

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by eduson33(m): 6:16am On Sep 16, 2012
Madam abeg,
mix akamu and yam,
add salad,2 plantain,some kpomo and kunu.
Spray stew on top if possible.
oubi: grin
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 16, 2012
Nimbuzz on nokia smartphones even make internet calls, I've been enjoying it. One can even chat with skype these days. But why should they complain, do they give us data for free?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 16, 2012
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by infgost234(m): 7:13am On Sep 16, 2012
Many people seem not to understand the word 'SMARTPHONE'. They think any phone that can browse is a smartphone.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by infgost234(m): 7:17am On Sep 16, 2012
esochemicals@yahoo.com:
using 2go,watsapp,nimbuzz depends on who u want to send the message to.. Not when u want to send a message to ur dad u think of 2go!using 2go,watsapp,nimbuzz depends on who u want to send the message to.. Not when u want to send a message to ur dad u think of 2go!
How abt wen u and ur dad are bb users. Cnt u make use of bbm? Or whatsapp?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by emorse(m): 7:17am On Sep 16, 2012
You know I just remembered about the sms feature on my fone. It have TAYED since I last used it.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by koman: 7:17am On Sep 16, 2012
These ntwrk operators shld accpt d fact dat sms wil soon be a tin of d past.
Wit all dis new apps, why shld i waste my N5 or N10 on sms.
Though i stil use sms 2 snd businez cards.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Skywalker5(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2012
the price Nigerians pay to make calls is just too high. its just greed for Telecoms company to be complaining about Smartphones killing SMS business
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 16, 2012
Nokia Asha Phones are called What?

infgost234: Many people seem not to understand the word 'SMARTPHONE'. They think any phone that can browse is a smartphone.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Bawss1(m): 8:08am On Sep 16, 2012
All these Over The Top (OTT) services like whatsapp, Viber Skype, etc are the new challenge that network carriers have to deal with. Even revenue from phone calls are affected too, not just SMS. Phone users will easily choose these services instead of the traditional ones because of convenience and cost so it lies with the carriers to find out ways to get in on the action. Right now I don't think the carriers in Nigeria are worried much, there are still many users here that rely solely on SMS but in the future, just like in countries with mature markets, the carriers will have to re work their business models

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by FKO1(m): 8:09am On Sep 16, 2012
boring thread...and yet it made FP
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by infgost234(m): 8:17am On Sep 16, 2012
aze: Nokia Asha Phones are called What?

Nokia Asha is a big family of phones.. It consists of both smartphones nd featured phones.. So b specific
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by excondido(m): 8:42am On Sep 16, 2012
aze: Nokia Asha Phones are called What?

nokia asha is more of a java phone than anything else. where do we place a phone that cannot multitask, not built for highend apps like whats app, no specific apps designed for its OS. NOKIA can call it smart but it aint close to smart.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by ignis: 9:14am On Sep 16, 2012
ben4ever: if you have used 2go, whats app, nimbuzz, facebook chat, u will undastand.
Exactly, with the whats app, i hardly see nees to send sms except on rare occasions. Even with BBM

(1) (2) (Reply)

This phone doesn't even need NEPA / How To Check 9MOBILE Bonus - Airtime And Data / Pictures From Infinix Free Fire Gaming Master Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.