Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? (9496 Views)

Do You Think Nigerians Can Take This Threat Seriously?? (screenshots) / Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by iammodel(m): 9:16am On Sep 16, 2012
Who cares about sms nowadays when one can conveniently chat with folks wit d new apps, even if i want to, Vconnect offers 10 free sms daily(u can easily login with ur fb acct & do ur thing). I even make less calls these days except,it is very urgent.I can record an audio msg & send it to my contact as a file offline msg.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by scribble: 9:19am On Sep 16, 2012
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by jude33084(m): 9:19am On Sep 16, 2012
NEROSKY: i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?

Lol! They where about ᵝȳ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ advent of smartphones wink
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by jude33084(m): 9:23am On Sep 16, 2012
7footre:
This new generation apps need a mobile phone to be operational right?

I beg help Ť☺ explain Ť☺ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ big guy cheesy
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by beneezy(m): 9:26am On Sep 16, 2012
[quote author=NEROSKY]i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?

The advent of smartphones made these applications available and accessible on ones fingers' tip
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by princechrming(m): 9:41am On Sep 16, 2012
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 16, 2012
aze: Nokia Asha Phones are called What?

dull phone

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by sniperwolf(m): 10:18am On Sep 16, 2012
It's been like 6 months since I sent my last sms. SMS are even expensive compare to Whatsapp and even emails. With the push-email facility in my smartphone, I get my emails on the go. I can even send 50KB size of message for less than N3 if I don't have an active internet data plan.
50KB size of SMS can be more than 20 pages of SMS, multiply that by N5 (for same carrier) and by N10 (for other carriers).
Even with N0.00 in my phone (and no active internet data plan) I send and receive Whatsapp messages for free.
Have you all forgotten that smartphones killed Multimedia Messages too. It's just a matter of time till SMS is annihilated
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Revolva(m): 10:22am On Sep 16, 2012
Well ok so if ur papa or your mama say my pikin send me recharge card oo so you will say papa or mama let's chat on 2go ,nimbuzz or twitter or facbook , watsapp, look sms is very good for me I love it -not everythin is social network
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by olatwo(m): 10:32am On Sep 16, 2012
virtuoso01: SMS costs next to nothing especially if its with the same network. I still make extensive use of it sepecially if its urgent and important.

But the truth is that I only make use of it on rare occasions when there are so many convenient alternatives.

@ ur signature, can Ʋ be more specific what kinda device? Got bb PIN,site blog something to showcase. Pls specify
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by sdav: 10:41am On Sep 16, 2012
NEROSKY: i don't think smart phones are not the one posing a threat,i think is d new generation apps ''2go,whatsapp, FB chat ,nim, et.c ar d 1 posing a threat,, or wat du u guys fink?

Why is nobody talking about online bulksms?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 16, 2012
ola_two:

@ ur signature, can Ʋ be more specific what kinda device? Got bb PIN,site blog something to showcase. Pls specify
You can check my profile and see some of my previous threads on Nairaland.

Computer storage devices eg External Harddrives, Flashdrives, Memory Cards.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Shaw007(m): 11:07am On Sep 16, 2012
They might not necessarily affect sms/texting. . .but it'll most definitely affect phone-calls. . .like i feel so lazy 2 call dese days. . .except business or maybe i madly need 2 hear some angelic voice or just feel like talking,which might last hours,texting and chatting are taking over. . .

I think its time for the world 2 finally move on
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Nuzo1(m): 12:33pm On Sep 16, 2012
NaijaNaWaa: This is too misleading. If I may ask, don't you pay to use Smartphones on the networks and don't you pay to use the apps over the networks? So kini big deal?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by rman: 12:47pm On Sep 16, 2012
SMS still has a role to telecommunication. Social networking (FB, Whatsapp, SKYPE etc) are palying a different role entirely. It is not everybody you chat with. Everyone seems to be responding from the point of chatting alone. SMS can be a one time form of message to another mobile user.

Are we saying we chat with everybody we know, even corporate messages and co?
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by OAM4J: 1:18pm On Sep 16, 2012
Network operators in Nigeria just need to improvise.

The networks I use abroad either give you a number of sms for free with any package you sign for or make it free after charging you for a number of sms daily. Like I can send 45 free txt messages after paying for the 1st five in a day.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by charlsecy4(m): 2:24pm On Sep 16, 2012
A smartphone is a mobile phone whose operating system is any of the following: Symbian, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone, iOS, Meego, Maemo, Bada, etc. Any phone that allows multitasking may be called a smartphone.

Nokia C3-00, Nokia Asha 201, Nokia 2700, Nokia X2-03, Nokia X2-00, etc. are all feature phones, not smartphones, yet they can run most of these social and messaging apps.

Get updates about Android and mobile networks at http://mobiletechbits.com/

Applications such as WhatsApp, 2go, etc. represent alternatives to the traditional SMS. However, even if people stop using SMS in favour these messaging apps, networks will still making money from data used to run those apps.

kpolli: intra-sms is N0 expense to the company so it's 100% profit

You mean intra-network SMS? But they run their stations with diesel, and it is not free. Plus maintenance cost.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by CLIQBOY(m): 2:49pm On Sep 16, 2012
Even nokia 2626 the smallest nokia java enabled phone go affect the with binu messenger
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Ogundale(m): 4:42pm On Sep 16, 2012
Never i could agree less
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by toluxa1(m): 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2012
infgost234: Many people seem not to understand the word 'SMARTPHONE'. They think any phone that can browse is a smartphone.

GBAM!!!
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Mynd44: 3:13am On Sep 17, 2012
Soon, sms will be free as they won't make any money from it again and I still would not use it
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by Ogundale(m): 6:30am On Sep 17, 2012
You damn right.
Re: Are Smartphones A Threat To Nigeria’s N180B SMS Industry? by walcolm(m): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2012
kejisept25: With all dose Instant message apllications listed above,Itz @ threat cos, I personally, see it as a sin to send SMS using money

i totally agree with you on this. its just a mindless waste of money to keep in touch via sms...i even waste free sms that the carriers give because i forget to use them..

i have whatsapp, BBM, gtalk, yahoo messenger, fabcebook, twitter, skype etc. if you're less than 50yrs old and i need to be in touch with you but you're not on any of those social platforms, there's something definitely wrong with you

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Register Two Numbers For You&me Mtn Trutalk / NCC Urges GSM Subscribers To Use 622 Toll-free-line For Complaints / Snapchat Keeps Unique Daily Audience Against Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.