Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? (1766 Views)

See What A Nigerian Police Man Was Spotted Doing With A Half-unclad Lady(pic) / What Has This Police Man Done To Be Beaten Up Like This In Effurun / A Mass Protest Against Law Makers Outrageous Take Home Pay. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Joey82(m): 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2008
I think, this is the bold step and of course in d rite direction, a police recruit going home with 26k and its 4 real, no longer rumour as it were, a police officer confirmed to me that he's started collecting his bucks already.

Hope it reduces d level of corruption in the force and restores discipline, also hope police trully bcome our friends. Thanks to the federal government any way.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by brownbonno(m): 3:32pm On Jan 10, 2008
Do you think increasing the police pay packet will reduce the level of corruption in the force ?No,not close to the solution.The former IG Tafa Balogun experience is a pure example of a typical Nigerian Police officer.
Economic reasons are not the main cause of corruption in Nigeria,but the level of greed and selfishness.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Seun(m): 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2008
Increasing the pay package will pave the way for further reforms. You can't reform a hungry man. wink
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by noetic(m): 3:46pm On Jan 10, 2008
Joey82:

I think, this is the bold step and of course in d rite direction, a police recruit going home with 26k and its 4 real, no longer rumour as it were, a police officer confirmed to me that he's started collecting his bucks already.

Hope it reduces d level of corruption in the force and restores discipline, also hope police trully bcome our friends. Thanks to the federal government any way.

no offence intended, but u sound uninformed.

26k for what? no adequate affordable housing, no life insurance policies and he still has to buy his uniform.
the average police officer lives in a God-forsaken police barracks, where fortunately for him an armed robber will not robb. His predecessors, who he is supposed to look up to have not been paid their pensions and when they are, its not prompt.

we need a police force with well trained officers, properly catered for and who are led by example. this way we can aspire for a decent service.

attempting to seprate the problems of the police and that of nigeria in general, is unlogical arithmetic. a police officer`s kids will still go to public schools, use public hospitals, use public transport.
infact the police force is just a fraction of a "commatose" nigeria.

greed is exclusive to human beings, so 26k doesnt stop any one from collectin illegal N20.

so what can an irregular 26k do?
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by uchetobi(f): 4:00pm On Jan 10, 2008
26k my God! How pathetic
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Joey82(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2008
@noetic,

well, the situation is that bad and am well aware but dont forget we have to start somewhere, some body that was collecting as low as 9k monthly wakes up with an increment of over 200% with arears paid, i think its a step forward.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by noetic(m): 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2008
@joey82

you can perhaps give us an idea of what you think 26k will achieve.
then maybe I will get your point better. shocked
cheers
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by DisGuy: 6:07pm On Jan 10, 2008
noetic:

@joey82

you can perhaps give us an idea of what you think 26k will achieve.
then maybe I will get your point better. shocked
cheers

improve morale?

there are already talk about police reforms* and this is a step in the right direction

*they've always been talks about police reforms
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Jan 10, 2008
26 K a Month ? Or a Year I mean I do not know of any other country where the Police force take home 26K /$210 bucks a year and survive!!!! embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by faketan(m): 6:21pm On Jan 10, 2008
That should be per month.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by noetic(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2008
Dis Guy:

improve morale?

there are already talk about police reforms* and this is a step in the right direction

*they've always been talks about police reforms

improve morale in the face of other harsh conditions. their improved morale is expected to help them face armed robbers better right?, so what happens to their family if they die in combat? or are injured? is it even not the same police officer who is ill equipped.
only when there is a political will to overhaul the system, then and only then can there be meaningfuldevelopment.

i cant even believe u said dat?
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by oldie(m): 8:00pm On Jan 10, 2008
Considering what it was (less than 10,000/mth) to what it is now.
I understand it will be increased to 50,000/mth
The increase is an improvement
Agreed the increase will not solve all the problems, but it helps in some ways

But some of the police officers do not even want this increase!
Sometimes I do not understand our people any more sad

Read here:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/product_info.php?products_id=19342

, The development is coming as frantic efforts by some top police officers to sabotage the implementation of the new police salary scale met a brick wall as President Yar'Adua insisted that there was no going back on the new salary scale.

A score of top officers of the force led by a deputy inspector general (DIG) were said to have met with President Yar'Adua during which they complained bitterly to the president against the salary increment which has moved the police minimum wage from N8, 000 to N28, 000.

A source close to the meeting told our correspondents last night that the 12 top police officers led by the DIG met the president and tried to convince him to order a reversal of the recent increment in salaries of the officers and men of the force. They argued that any increase in the wages of the force's rank and file would create boredom instead of the expected productivity. They tried in vain to tell the president that the rank and file, who are not used to this luxury, would likely misuse the fortune instead of concentrating on their jobs.

"They did not discuss or inform their boss, the IGP, of their hidden agenda, but they were shocked when the president insisted Okiro must be part of the meeting. Consequently, the president summoned Okiro," our source said.

The source continued: "Okiro was asked to comment on the likely implication of the wage increase when he told the president that it is one of the best things to have happened, commending the government for its policies towards achieving the feat.

"Okiro categorically explained that he has no hands in why his subordinates went to the villa and that they were on their own. The situation left the officers dumbfounded as they thought they could play politics by working against their boss."

The source said these groups of police officers have not been supportive of any salary increase for their subordinates, and have always worked against it,
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by osisi5: 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2008
Is that amount including the twenty twenty naira surcharges at check points?
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by bawomol(m): 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2008
26 K a Month ? Or a Year I mean I do not know of any other country where the Police force take home 26K /$210 bucks a year and survive!!!!

although 26K/month is still small, the relative cost of living between nigeria and a country such as the US or UK is different. u have to consider the differences in taxes and utilities. keep in mind, this is just rookie pay. maybe they get a bonus at checkpoints grin
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by DisGuy: 10:28pm On Jan 10, 2008
noetic:

improve morale in the face of other harsh conditions. their improved morale is expected to help them face armed robbers better right?, so what happens to their family if they die in combat? or are injured? is it even not the same police officer who is ill equipped.
only when there is a political will to overhaul the system, then and only then can there be meaningfuldevelopment.

i can't even believe u said that?

I don't know how frequent/efficient they do this but, I know they give out cheques to families of slain police officers
There have been several contracts awarded to improve police accommodation
I think there's a new police estate in Abuja opened middle of last year
With the Police Equipment Funds the force is overhauled already just that corruption and due process is taking its toll on their effort, with the likes of tafa and sunday siphoning/depositing money in interest bearing account you don't get anywhere to be honest

the minimum they should be getting should be around 50k in my opinion but you don't just print they money
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by willy4: 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2008
Dis Guy:

the minimum they should be getting should be around 50k in my opinion but you don't just print they money
Please Dis Guy don't suggest such an amount, paying 50K as minimum to those Samankwe police.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by debosky(m): 11:13pm On Jan 10, 2008
It is a step in the right direction, a fourfold increase from 8,000 to 28,000 is very welcome.

Granted there are many issues still bedeviling the NPF and its men, but this will provide a marked improvement in their personal welfare if nothing else. Like Seun astutely noted, this will pave the way for more reforms. Someone with a little extra cash in his pocket will be more amenable to treating you courteously and doing a better job.

This is a welcome development from Umar 'Silent Night' Yaradua grin grin
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2008
bawomol:

26 K a Month ? Or a Year I mean I do not know of any other country where the Police force take home 26K /$210 bucks a year and survive!!!!

although 26K/month is still small, the relative cost of living between nigeria and a country such as the US or UK is different. u have to consider the differences in taxes and utilities. keep in mind, this is just rookie pay. maybe they get a bonus at checkpoints grin

I never knew how much they got before today and so it comes as a shock to me that the police force was not being paid over 20K already. When I heard of proposed salary increase in the past, I had my mind on it going from say 30K to about 60 k monthly. This to me is still low but if those who decided on the amount are sure that this will work, then I will wait to see. This actually explains a whole lot. My family was just in Nigeria and even a piece of yam costs almost Naira 1200. I only wonder how they managed to do it all this while ( speaking of the few police men who did not pick up an extra buck or two there from stealing from the people).
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by azorjiu(m): 11:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
Is the pay rise effective yet, or is it one of those empty promises that keep them salivating?
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by faketan(m): 2:16am On Jan 11, 2008
oldie:

Considering what it was (less than 10,000/mth) to what it is now.
I understand it will be increased to 50,000/mth
The increase is an improvement
Agreed the increase will not solve all the problems, but it helps in some ways

But some of the police officers do not even want this increase!
Sometimes I do not understand our people any more sad

Read here:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/product_info.php?products_id=19342

, The development is coming as frantic efforts by some top police officers to sabotage the implementation of the new police salary scale met a brick wall as President Yar'Adua insisted that there was no going back on the new salary scale.

A score of top officers of the force led by a deputy inspector general (DIG) were said to have met with President Yar'Adua during which they complained bitterly to the president against the salary increment which has moved the police minimum wage from N8, 000 to N28, 000.

A source close to the meeting told our correspondents last night that the 12 top police officers led by the DIG met the president and tried to convince him to order a reversal of the recent increment in salaries of the officers and men of the force. They argued that any increase in the wages of the force's rank and file would create boredom instead of the expected productivity. They tried in vain to tell the president that the rank and file, who are not used to this luxury, would likely misuse the fortune instead of concentrating on their jobs.
"They did not discuss or inform their boss, the IGP, of their hidden agenda, but they were shocked when the president insisted Okiro must be part of the meeting. Consequently, the president summoned Okiro," our source said.

The source continued: "Okiro was asked to comment on the likely implication of the wage increase when he told the president that it is one of the best things to have happened, commending the government for its policies towards achieving the feat.

"Okiro categorically explained that he has no hands in why his subordinates went to the villa and that they were on their own. The situation left the officers dumbfounded as they thought they could play politics by working against their boss."

The source said these groups of police officers have not been supportive of any salary increase for their subordinates, and have always worked against it,

It will create boredom in the sense that they will be less willing to collect N20 for them.

Man's inhumanity to man.

Someone said above that his friend corp said they have started receiving the new 'allawee'
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by noetic(m): 1:53pm On Jan 11, 2008
Dis Guy:

I don't know how frequent/efficient they do this but, I know they give out cheques to families of slain police officers
There have been several contracts awarded to improve police accommodation
I think there's a new police estate in Abuja opened middle of last year
With the Police Equipment Funds the force is overhauled already just that corruption and due process is taking its toll on their effort, with the likes of tafa and sunday siphoning/depositing money in interest bearing account you don't get anywhere to be honest

the reality on ground is far different from this

Dis Guy:

its not about the money alone, also the condition of service.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Joey82(m): 2:17pm On Jan 11, 2008
@noetic

even though 26k cannot make a reasonable difference, its better compared to what was obtainable, i want to believe its a reformation process and its got to start some where, i guess.

True, have been to d barracks and i ve seen d conditions, 27 flats with just 4 bathrooms and only 12 toilets to share, dilapidated buildings begging for renulvation, drainage system completely absent, over crowding, u just name them, its really disgusting but i only hope d government dosent stop @ salary increase alone and should go as far as considering other amenities.

Fact remains that an average policeman will tell u he's enjoying his job now more than he used to.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by denuda: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2008
Nigerians are very funny, what is 26,000 naira in nigeria of today,would it stop policemen taking 20 naira on d road,hell no, we shouldnt decieve ourselves,anything what doing, it what doing well, a policeman would not risk his life for 26,000 naira, if he dies what happens to his family, the useless okiro was saying the family would get 500,000 naira,how pathethic, how much is it to rent a three bedroom in lagos. The police need a welfare package, good accomodation and 5 million for his family if he dies while on duty,except dis happens, we nigerians are just lying to ourselves.
I do not like policemen but sadly we need them, so we need to equip them properly.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Seun(m): 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2008
Left to me, any police officer who carries a gun should earn at least 100K per month.
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by otokx(m): 3:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
100k ke?
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by faketan(m): 4:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
Give them and their families a good welfare condition

a. free healthcare
b. good accomodation
c. at least N1.5m if one dies in active service
d. good training
e. above all equip them very well
e. update their forensic department
Then the police will do his best to protect the citizenry
Re: Least Police Man Take Home Pay Is Now 26k? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 11, 2008

(1) (Reply)

Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? / Lawmaker Fights On The Street Sorry Car Park / Should China Olympics Be Boycotted?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.