Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (246) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1834833 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 5:44am On Jul 01, 2015
AmbFitsaint:
So glad to see this thread progress as it used to be.
Greetings to all medics in the house.
I must confess that I greatly detest the rush this new curriculum has birthed.
I detest cramming for exams but how will I cover up an enormous region with a frame of two weeks and getting tested on it with 2 big regions instantaneously?
Gross in grossly time demanding to grasp but my lecturers seem not to grasp. Now it is all abt cramming d seemingly hot spots and discarding most part.
I hate this system.
Stabbing classes, dissection sections and even practicals have been the order of the day here for the confident guys. What a curriculum!
I had prefer learning the stuffs with no pressure bearing it in mind that medical school might go far beyond 6 years to just activating survival mode of reading style.
Sorry Vincent ehn..... I notice the way you guys occupy all spaces in our reading rooms these days.... By the way, when is the test?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 6:29am On Jul 01, 2015
omicron:
No hard and fast rules. It depends on you.
Omiiiiiiiicron!

Thank you boss! I don learn something today o

So in general, find what
works for you and
maximise it. That way,
med school will not be
too intimidating or
stressful to you

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by omicron(m): 7:33am On Jul 01, 2015
centje:
Lol grin, now you've reminded me that horrible physiology. I can't even remember whether I passed or it was mild-moderate failure grin.

lol @mild-moderate failure
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medschoolguy: 8:18am On Jul 01, 2015
lomaxx:

how do you explain the quoted below ? it's an excerpt from the original question.

Oh my bad, it is a typo. It's supposed to be HYPOglycemia.

My apologies for ruining a great question.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 8:20am On Jul 01, 2015
Benzene002:
Sorry Vincent ehn..... I notice the way you guys occupy all spaces in our reading rooms these days.... By the way, when is the test?

It's holding June 17 if Dr Tona's stance remains sacrosanct
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medschoolguy: 8:22am On Jul 01, 2015
AmbFitsaint:
So glad to see this thread progress as it used to be.
Greetings to all medics in the house.

I must confess that I greatly detest the rush this new curriculum has birthed.

I detest cramming for exams but how will I cover up an enormous region with a frame of two weeks and getting tested on it with 2 big regions instantaneously?

Gross in grossly time demanding to grasp but my lecturers seem not to grasp. Now it is all abt cramming d seemingly hot spots and discarding most part.
I hate this system.

Stabbing classes, dissection sections and even practicals have been the order of the day here for the confident guys. What a curriculum!

I had prefer learning the stuffs with no pressure bearing it in mind that medical school might go far beyond 6 years to just activating survival mode of reading style.

Morning Chief. What school are you and how is the curriculum?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2015
medschoolguy:

Morning Chief. What school are you and how is the curriculum?
University of Ibadan
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
AmbFitsaint:

It's holding June 17 if Dr Tona's stance remains sacrosanct
I am sure you wanted to type july17..... Anyways, best of luck.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 4:23pm On Jul 01, 2015
muta1996:

check d question again,all d info is dere.
Prevention of neonatal tetanus focuses on vaccinating women who are pregnant or may become pregnant with inactivated tetanus toxin (tetanus toxoid). Appropriately vaccinated women provide transplacental IgG to the fetus, which decreases the incidence of neonatal tetanus by approximately 95%.

got it.

pregnant women coming the US to give birth should be informed of appropriate prenatal practices though, offtopic.

btw, I'm on the thread as a visitor, not a med student.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 6:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
Seniors in the house, is it in 500 level part 2 mmbs is written or 400 ending? Because in our school handbook, part2mbbs is said to be written 22months into clinical. Part3 6 months after and final mbbs 8 months after part3. I am confused. DrHesjay , lagusta , lomaxx ,
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 6:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
tpiander:

got it.

pregnant women coming the US to give birth should be informed of appropriate prenatal practices though, offtopic.

btw, I'm on the thread as a visitor, not a med student.

are u a medical doctor sir?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JERIZO(m): 11:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
lomaxx:

Your post left out some important information.

what level are you?

what level of accreditation is your school?

what's the news about the accreditation according to your lecturers?

Pls, go through the post again.
I said, I'm in 100level.
Partial accreditation( first clinical).
Lecturers and Medics are still optimistic, Singing the same old song ''we will graduate our first set this year''. This Common mantra among medics is yet to materialize.
The Major problem is the Teaching hospital, it lacks facilities and other stuffs needed for full accreditation.
Medics are totally disillusioned.
I don't want to suffer delay and end up graduating from med school with grey hair. That's why I'm planning to make a move asap.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rexceedo: 10:50am On Jul 02, 2015
omicron:
No hard and fast rules. It depends on you.

My general rule was to try to cover the lectures of the day before the end of the day, and to do a weekly review by weekends plus 'mop-up' reading, whereby I read fresh topics that I was not able to read on their lecture days.

I also paid more attention to topics I found too large or more difficult, meaning I gave special attention to them at the expense of others. The amount of time and work I gave to a course was inversly related to how easy-to-understand-or-remember that course was to me.

Eg, because I found Biochemistry quite simple, I spent far less time on it, not out of neglect but just because I did not need to spend much time on it to pass it. Same with Public Health and Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 4th MB class, and somewhat, Medicine in Final MB.

You should also know which part of the day you read and understand most. Personally, I could not read at nights; the output was too little compared to the input. Thirty minutes of reading in the Mornings could give me the same output that a 4-hour studying session would give me in the afternoons and at nights.

I discovered this close to my 2nd MB exam, more than a year into med school. From then on, I changed my reading time. I would usually "go to class" or read in the room from around 3am to around 7am, having slept from around 8pm. When I needed more time, I would skip some lectures (usually those known not to have much benefit to me) and read all morning up to 11am.

So in general, find what works for you and maximise it. That way, med school will not be too intimidating or stressful to you
U just relieved me.... I felt despondent when some1 posted here, that he read for 12-15hrs everyday... And as a bizman and a medical aspirant I've been thinking how will I be able to map-out such time in my busy lifestyle. But, ur timetable seems too apt to my immediate business schedule. My passion for Medicine wont ever wane.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 02, 2015
Profcamsey:
Seniors in the house, is it in 500 level part 2 mmbs is written or 400 ending? Because in our school handbook, part2mbbs is said to be written 22months into clinical. Part3 6 months after and final mbbs 8 months after part3. I am confused. DrHesjay , lagusta , lomaxx ,
Bro..that stuff depends on d school.. different schools call those exams different names....
In unilorin..
300lvl---First Professional MB(Anatony,Phywiology,Biochrm and IP)
400lvl---Part I Final MBBS(Pharmacolgy and pathology)
500lvl---Part II Final MBBS( Paediatrics and O&G)
600lvl---Part III Final MBBS(Medicine, Surgery, ..**cnt remember what else*)

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2015
DrHesjay:
Bro..that stuff depends on d school.. different schools call those exams different names....
In unilorin..
600lvl---Part III Final MBBS(Medicine, Surgery, ..**[size=32pt]COMMUNITY MEDICINE[/size]*)

Done.... grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 1:17pm On Jul 02, 2015
DrHesjay:
In unilorin..
600lvl---Part III Final MBBS(Medicine, Surgery, ..**cnt remember what else*)

yea I know, that's what its called here. You haven't answered my question. What I am asking is that path and pharm is said to be written 22months after starting clinicals, that should be end of 500 level? But it ought to be at the end of 400 level.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
Profcamsey:
yea I know, that's what its called here. You haven't answered my question. What I am asking is that path and pharm is said to be written 22months after starting clinicals, that should be end of 500 level? But it ought to be at the end of 400 level.
as I have said.. it all depends on the skul..
path n pharm in unilorin is in 400lvl...
Some skuls write it in 500lvl..e.g. UI
in ilorin.. 400lvl is about 14-15months and they write MB after...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2015
DrHesjay:
as I have said.. it all depends on the skul..
path n pharm in unilorin is in 400lvl...
Some skuls write it in 500lvl..e.g. UI
in ilorin.. 400lvl is about 14-15months and they write MB after...
thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by damo53(m): 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
Profcamsey:
thanks
first mb exam in cmul is in 200lvl
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 4:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
muta1996:

are u a medical doctor sir?

No Sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2015
damo53:
first mb exam in cmul is in 200lvl
so they don't use up to 6 years in med school? When are other exams taken?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fexydurn(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2015
Someone help me out pls
is the mb exams same throught out the nation?
Wht is d format for the first prof exam at 3rd year, mcq essay ettc
wht is the weighing of each section
thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 5:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
tpiander:

No Sir.
hw r u able to ans d question?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 6:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
muta1996:

hw r u able to ans d question?

I didn't answer the question- lomaxx did.

My answer would actually have been wrong, since I might have gone with D, however, infants are not given tetanus toxoid at birth.

The question was pretty much self explanatory, I think, clearly showed tetanus, especially when you mentioned soil.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 8:01pm On Jul 02, 2015
Good evening all!

Your junior brother (me) will be writting his post UTME on the 22nd of July 2015... LASU, pls always remember him in your prayers.

Thank you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 10:55pm On Jul 02, 2015
tpiander:

I didn't answer the question- lomaxx did.

My answer would actually have been wrong, since I might have gone with D, however, infants are not given tetanus toxoid at birth.

The question was pretty much self explanatory, I think, clearly showed tetanus, especially when you mentioned soil.
Ok sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 12:43am On Jul 04, 2015
omicron:
This is very true, in the sense that such pass rate is possible with the current curriculum of med school in Nigeria where the load far exceeds the time to cover them. It is not entirely the lecturer's problem, neither does it mean that 93.6% of the students are olodos. Centje, how many people passed physiology 1st test in our class then? Lol

It is a test result, usually at the begining of the 1st professional exam, so the examiner might have been very strict regarding the marking scheme. Then, many med students are yet to understand how to pass and what to read. Many are still lost in the never-ending volumes of stuff to read.

In time the scores will improve, and by the end of the 1st professional exam, pass rate should be around 50%, partly because these scores might have stimulated the students more, and partly because the students get to mature and read more purposefully.

The result is a true reflection of med school, at that stage in many schools. This is the kind of things non medical students will never understand, even our closest neighbours in allied medical departments.
I really appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by slingerf: 1:37am On Jul 04, 2015
Good morning sirs and ma's...I am a med student from Ekiti state Uni. will be writing ma 300Mbbs exam this coming sept.pls I desire past questions from Unilorin and other schools. And your advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by slingerf: 1:43am On Jul 04, 2015
slingerf:
Good morning sirs and ma's...I am a med student from Ekiti state Uni. will be writing ma 300Mbbs exam this coming sept.pls I desire past questions from Unilorin and other schools. And your advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Want to also know how the schematics looks,is it MCQ totally for the obj part...and the theory,is it majorly gross for anatomy or more of embryo... and histo.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 10:22am On Jul 04, 2015
simba1:
You shouldn't be insulting people on faceless forums as this.
Nobody knows who.
shut it pls
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 10:23am On Jul 04, 2015
Owbeecee:

tho he stated a fact I think he was obnoxious the way he went about it.
it was an opinion not fact
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doclight(m): 2:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
Is your School accredited for@medicine?
slingerf:

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.