Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,858 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1826058 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deedrizzie: 8:07am On Jul 10, 2015
DrHesjay... thanks bro.. now that's the most useful thing I've heard since.. everyone is just saying read, read, read... I'd do just lyk u said.. gve me a week and I'd get bk to you... PS: i think I'm going to get d dictionary frst... cs i don't even seem to understand half the words in those books... thanks

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ibsgal(f): 3:28am On Jul 11, 2015
tpiander:

you'll probably have to move back home first so you can look around for yourself. Or have people you know, make enquiries for you if they can.

I'm not sure how easy it is to process such things from abroad without actually being there. Maybe someone here would know more.

You can also link up with non profit medical outreaches perhaps. Not sure what the criteria are though.

Thanks!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 1:17pm On Jul 11, 2015
Hello medics, stumbled on this page accidentally, I am a DE medical aspirant, I applied to Unilag and LASU second choice but I think I am loving LASU, now I am scared I won't get picked for LASU. Any advice from anyone?, btw I am already studying some textbooks, I got Moores Clinically oriented anatomy and Marks basic clinical biochemistry to start me up, also I have bin taking some practice questions to supplement my studying. Please and advice or inspiration is welcomed. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deedrizzie: 2:06pm On Jul 11, 2015
Millex:
Hello medics, stumbled on this page accidentally, I am a DE medical aspirant, I applied to Unilag and LASU second choice but I think I am loving LASU, now I am scared I won't get picked for LASU. Any advice from anyone?, btw I am already studying some textbooks, I got Moores Clinically oriented anatomy and Marks basic clinical biochemistry to start me up, also I have bin taking some practice questions to supplement my studying. Please and advice or inspiration is welcomed. Thanks
sorry, i may not be able to gve u what u need... but i need yr help... pls what did u study fr your frst degree?... and how does the application fr DE into MBBS work?...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 2:36pm On Jul 11, 2015
deedrizzie:
sorry, i may not be able to gve u what u need... but i need yr help... pls what did u study fr your frst degree?... and how does the application fr DE into MBBS work?...
No problem bro, I have a BSc zoology for my first degree. The application for DE to med to most school from what I have observed is by IJMB, diploma, A-levels or BSc in biology or any health related courses. You get the scratch card from jamb wen it comes out, I don't know if it's still out as at now, then u apply online on the jamb DE portal, printout ur registration paper, then submit along with ur credentials to Jamb. Then you look out for the schools of your choice, some schools require you to take an entrance exam like Unilorin while some don't eg unilag, Lasu. But u have to check for the info on your perspective schools website. I am not sure but I tink u have to submit that jamb print out, ur transcripts nd some other documents to the school of ur choice. Then you pray and wait for your admission. The information is just to the best of my knowledge, but that's what I did. I hope it helps to an extent.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 5:28pm On Jul 11, 2015
smartdave1:
Good evening all!

Your junior brother (me) will be writting his post UTME on the 22nd of July 2015... LASU, pls always remember him in your prayers.

Thank you.
All the best big bro...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BoiGrammz: 8:09pm On Jul 11, 2015
Hello house, just finished sec school. Am going to take jamb this year and apply for MBBS in unilorin, I hope I'll make it. I need your prayers docs cool

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
Millex:
All the best big bro...
My boss!
i still applied via DE o
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 9:17am On Jul 12, 2015
smartdave1:

My boss!

i still applied via DE o
Same here, what schools of choice?. Looking forward to being colleagues in the art of Medicine bro grin. I just read your previous message, dude I applied to LASU too, no exam for DE oh. It's just to pray and have faith we get picked. Nice to meet u bro, hopefully we'd get to study or dissect together!!!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AYOT12(m): 4:16pm On Jul 12, 2015
Please anybody in the house who is writing this year WASC primary examination?
Or does anybody know anybody applying?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 4:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
BoiGrammz:
Hello house, just finished sec school. Am going to take jamb this year and apply for MBBS in unilorin, I hope I'll make it. I need your prayers docs cool
Chase your dreams Sir, that way you would find fulfillment.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 5:20pm On Jul 12, 2015
smartdave1:

i still applied via DE o

Permit me to ask, do you have a first degree? Or are you using any of the A-level certs?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 8:48pm On Jul 12, 2015
gameboi:

Permit me to ask, do you have a first degree? Or are you using any of the A-level certs?
A'level
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2015
22nd July is loading so so fast...

Books books every where...

Oluwa, abeg be involved o

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 8:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
Millex:

Same here, what schools of choice?. Looking forward to being colleagues in the art of Medicine bro grin. I just read your previous message, dude I applied to LASU too, no exam for DE oh. It's just to pray and have faith we get picked. Nice to meet u bro, hopefully we'd get to study or dissect together!!!

school of choice: LASU (UTME and DE)

Thank you boss!

Please when are we submitting the credentials for DE?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2015
smartdave1:
A'level
Which of them?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 10:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
gameboi:

Which of them?
IJMB
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 10:21pm On Jul 12, 2015
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:38pm On Jul 12, 2015
smartdave1:

school of choice: LASU (UTME and DE)

Thank you boss!

Please when are we submitting the credentials for DE?
Ionno bro, I am guessing the submission is already taking place. I would be submitting mine tomorrow.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BoiGrammz: 4:35am On Jul 13, 2015
Millex:

Chase your dreams Sir, that way you would find fulfillment.
thanks bro.. I get motivated by words of advice like this.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2015
gameboi:

Okay.

I Wish you all the Very Best especially in your D.E application. It would be nice to meet up with you in Second Year.

Amen and thank you boss!

You're a LASUite medic?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 9:40am On Jul 13, 2015
Millex:

Ionno bro, I am guessing the submission is already taking place. I would be submitting mine tomorrow.
Good!

I'll do mine before weekend.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 9:57am On Jul 13, 2015

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2015
thread getting dry so I decided to contribute on my little knowledge in the throrax
1) a patient has bin in an accident, blunt force trauma to the chest she is complaining of chest tightness, MRI showed the lung bin compressed: state the causes?
2) When injecting a needle into the intercostal space of the rib cage laterally due to the arrangement of neurovasculature, where would you insert the needle a) inferior border of the superior rib b) superior border of the inferior rib.
3) as a medical student you are asked to check for the apex beat of the heart, what land mark would you use in locating the apex of the heart
4) when dissecting the thorax laterally what pleura would you come in contact with
5) the aortic arch is at what intercostal space
6) the manubrosternal joint is used as a land mark to what intercostal space
7) what is the major muscle used in respiration
cool the pericardial notch is located on what lung?
9) the posterior blood supply to the thorax from T3 to T6 is from?

Have a nice day guys

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2015
So Lasu accepts IJMB for Medicine?
smartdave1:
Good!
I'll do mine before weekend.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 11:10am On Jul 13, 2015
Which medical College are you in?
Millex:
thread getting dry so I decided to contribute on my little knowledge in the throrax
1) a patient has bin in an accident, blunt force trauma to the chest she is complaining of chest tightness, MRI showed the lung bin compressed: state the causes?
2) When injecting a needle into the intercostal space of the rib cage laterally due to the arrangement of neurovasculature, where would you insert the needle a) inferior border of the superior rib b) superior border of the inferior rib.
3) as a medical student you are asked to check for the apex beat of the heart, what land mark would you use in locating the apex of the heart
4) when dissecting the thorax laterally what pleura would you come in contact with
5) the aortic arch is at what intercostal space
6) the manubrosternal joint is used as a land mark to what intercostal space
7) what is the major muscle used in respiration
cool the pericardial notch is located on what lung?
9) the posterior blood supply to the thorax from T3 to T6 is from?

Have a nice day guys
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2015
simba1:
Which medical College are you in?
Not in one yet, but hopefully to get in this year. You?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
gameboi:

No, UNIUYO medic.

You wouldn't love the stress and pressure that comes with being a Year One medic. That's why I prefer you getting it via D.E.
... My prayer.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
simba1:
So Lasu accepts IJMB for Medicine?
Perhaps
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by 0393: 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
LES MISERABLES
‘Good afternoon sir, we are the new students rotating through your unit and we just want to tell you we are sorry!’
‘Sorry for what?’
‘For anyway we might offend you in this posting’
The above scene should be the ideal introduction given by any group of medical students through a new unit and indeed, it might not even be enough to pacify some ‘malignant’ consultants (ref: a particular neurosurgeon).
In my ‘short’ (ref: ASUU, NMA and JOHESU strikes) stay so far in medical school, I have added so many facies to my God given repertoire that sometimes, I even amaze myself. (Facies such as the ‘puppy dog look’, for when I want to make a request, the ‘wide eye look’, for surprise and denial, the ‘quivering lip’, to show fear and hence garner some sympathy, and my personal favourite, the ‘slack-jaw’, which seems to work well for some reason when being percussed).
The reason for this is not so far-fetched, because for some reason, it seems I always have to beg for forgiveness from some consultant I offended in some way or the other in practically every department or unit I rotate through. I have prostrated thrice (particularly in the department of otorhinogbogbocalamity), been the recipient of two queries (honestly, I never would have believed that students received queries if I didn’t get them myself) and once, I even had to write a letter describing how foolish and terribly short-sighted I am, all in bid to placate my ‘teachers’.
Thankfully, I have not been asked to write a letter to the Provost, copying the Deputy Provost, Secretary to the College, Faculty Officer, Head of Department, my parents, relatives and the forces from the village that always seem to be getting me in all this trouble….well, at least not yet anyway.

For more articles like this and other interesting articles, visit www.klatschkrew.. Or follow@theklatschkrew. KLATSCHKREW is made up of medical, dental, physiotherapy, nursing, medical laboratory scientists and all health related field students and writers who are determined to add something new to their lives apart from going to the library.
GO TO https://klatschkrew./2015/07/13/les-misrables/ AND COMMENT ON YOUR WARDROUND EXPERIENCE(S) BY CLICKING ON
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Yahbas83(m): 5:27pm On Jul 13, 2015
DrHesjay:

Baba, how far?
I advise that you study all d soft copies of those books to know which of them u prefer. Then get the hard copies of the ones u prefer...
This way, u won't waste money on books u won't eventually read.
Embryology...
People will tell u to get Saddler's or Developing Human. study the first 2 topics in the soft copies. Get the one u prefer. I use developing human b while majority of my class mates use Saddler's...
Biochemistry
They will tell u to get either Harpers or Lippincotts.
I made d mistake of not studying the soft copies, and I got Harpers.. I regret that decision till tomorrow.. I just wanted the money.. I dnt understand anything Inside d hook.. I just have a natural hatred for it. It has bn with a friend for over 5months now..
I cane across Vasudevan's and I loved it.. Then I got the hard copy.. And biochemistry became 'okro'.. Thats y u should study those books before buying..

Histology:
there are lots of options in histology.. But most people use Junquira. I also got junquira.. But later, I found 'Singh's'... and I bought the hardcopy.. Since then, Singh's became my first choice.. it simplifies everything.. Tho I still use d junquira sometimes.
Gross..
The big thing.. As usual... all students get Clinically oriented anatomy(Keith Moore)
If u r not rili the 'softcopy' person.. I advise u get 2 books on gross.. probably Keith Moore and Chaurasia... There's also one brilliant book that I came across.. can't remember d name but they call it 'Above/Below Diaphragm' The book has 2 volumes... 'Above Diaphragm' and 'below diaphragm'.. if u can get it.. good for u oo.. Most people dnt understand that Keith Moore wastes time.. or maybe I am d only one that sees that..
Physiology:
It all depends on what you like... But since u r coming to Ilorin.. get Ganong... u just have to use d book.. I hate the book tho'.. I prefer Guyton.. But in ilorin, u have no choice, if u dnt want to fail.. u just have to use Ganong..
Basically.. Get at least
* One Gross anatomy book
* One Physiology book
* One embryology book
* One biochemistry book
* One histology book.
* One Anatomy Atlas(Netters preferably)
* Cunningham Dissection manual
* A medical dictionary
You can get more, it depends on you..
But above all.. never get too far from your soft copies..
On each course, on d average, I have like 5 soft copy books each..
It helps.
well detailed, dr hesjay
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fatherherokay(m): 8:58am On Jul 14, 2015
Could the LASU direct entry applicant plz drop their phone numbers so that we may talk better. Mine is 07066352274

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.